ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th March 2019, 06:34 AM   #3441
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You have to work to get free stuff but you are not obliged.
You keep using the phrase "have to work" I do not think you know what that means.

If I'm not obligated to work, then I don't have to work to get the "free stuff" Of course, if nobody is obligated to work, then there is no stuff to be had at any price.

It violates what even Monkies understand, fundamental fairness. Two monkies, complete the same task, but get different rewards. The first gets a slice of cucumber, the other gets a grape. The cucumber monkey will, eventually stop working for what they see as an inferior reward. You have to overcome that. And you can't because you aren't rewarding people based on the work they perform. So people will regress to the lowest amount of effort required. Which you've established and none.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 07:44 AM   #3442
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

At that price you spend the whole week at the hotel watching TV and eating peanut butter.
When it's free, we'll all be having a lot of sex with free sex workers.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 07:46 AM   #3443
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You have to work to get free stuff
That's a contradiction of terms. Stuff isn't "free" if you have to work for it.

Quote:
but you are not obliged.
Ah, so you are saying you were mistaken in the VERY SAME SENTENCE.

We definitely need to abolish religion. We see how it turns peoples' brains to pudding.

Love the idea of all the free sex your idea creates, though.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 01:21 AM   #3444
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RoboTimbo View Post
We definitely need to abolish religion. We see how it turns peoples' brains to pudding
Your opinions come from what you heard in your medias, mine from what i read from Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Gaetan; 10th March 2019 at 01:38 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 07:39 AM   #3445
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Your opinions come from what you heard in your medias, mine from what i read from Jesus Christ.
Not exactly. My opinions come from reality and yours come from your imaginary friends like Jesus and extra terrestrials. How much of your wacky ideas come from the ETs?

Aren't you glad to know that if we adopt the no-money system that you'll be known as the father of all that free sex from free sex workers? Exciting, isn't it?
Old 10th March 2019, 07:45 AM   #3446
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Yet you are continually wrong Gaetan. Why is that?

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 10th March 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 07:50 AM   #3447
Leftus
Graduate Poster

His direct writings? Those don't exist. They have been translated, by people of considerable means and power. Of course, if you even tried to read the original texts, or as close to the original as possible, you can't. The language they are written in is dead.

There is a reason the meek will inherit the earth. It's so the meek are less inclined to insurrection. Jesus, through those stories, are to support the power structure of leaders and slaves. Sheep and Shepard.

It wasn't money that was created by the rich to keep the man down, it was religion.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 01:36 PM   #3448
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
We both know that's not going to happen. That would require effort, and as he has shown, that's just out of the question.

I wonder how much actual research he has done for those he assumes live in misery. Given his pattern, I'm going with making it up.
The thing is it doesn't matter. As long as he considers them to be in misery his own stated morality insists that they be granted resources before him. Though as we know Gaetan is a self affirmed hypocrite. So expecting others to adhere to his moral standard while he does not is just par for the course.
Old 10th March 2019, 01:48 PM   #3449
Gaetan
Master Poster

The communist will tell you the true fellows. Ms Omar after denouncing the persecution of palestinien by Israel was treated of anti Semitism by the white rich supremacist establishment of his own party because money works out that way and have a lot of power in US and also world wide.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 01:50 PM   #3450
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Why not, all we have to do is to work free of charge and airplane will bring me to Hawaii on vacation at no cost. Just too bad for you, you on this stupid pick pocket system most people can't afford it, you call that liberty?

Once again if you have to work to get a trip to Hawaii then the cost of that trip was. at least to you, your labor. Also if you are working so you can get a trip to Hawaii then you are not working for "free" but for, at the least, siad trip.

How much "free" work does a "no cost" trip to Hawaii cost?

You continually assert and even require an exchange of goods and services for labor but simply choose to ignore that and assert such exchanges as "free" or "no cost".

Once again, absolutely no one can agree with you until you can at least agree with just yourself.
Old 10th March 2019, 03:31 PM   #3451
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

The communist will tell you the true fellows. Ms Omar after denouncing the persecution of palestinien by Israel was treated of anti Semitism by the white rich supremacist establishment of his own party because money works out that way and have a lot of power in US and also world wide.
This wouldn't happen if all evil relgions were abolished. Religion is the reason for all evil in the world. We need free sex workers.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:10 AM   #3452
Joecool
Master Poster

What exactly did you hear from Jesus? In the Bible, Jesus never said people should not use money. In fact he told the people to pay their taxes. Jesus never mentioned Djinns and genies.

It sounds like this whole thing is some scam you made up to get a free trip to Hawaii.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 01:25 PM   #3453
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
What exactly did you hear from Jesus? In the Bible, Jesus never said people should not use money. In fact he told the people to pay their taxes. Jesus never mentioned Djinns and genies.
He said that many times and don't admit it because you agree with the devils rules made by Satan to destroy the world. Will to sacrifice a little beef for supper?

Last edited by Gaetan; 11th March 2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11th March 2019, 02:16 PM   #3454
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

He said that many times and don't admit it because you agree with the devils rules made by Satan to destroy the world. Will to sacrifice a little beef for supper?
Now you're just making crap up again. You''ve been called on that numerous times already.

I still can't wait for all the free sex workers and free guns and yachts and mansions.
Old 11th March 2019, 02:16 PM   #3455
Joecool
Master Poster

Where does Jesus say not to use money?

Matthew 17:
Quote:
24 After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?”

25 “Yes, he does,” he replied.

When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. “What do you think, Simon?” he asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?”

26 “From others,” Peter answered.

“Then the children are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27 “But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.”
Quote:
While God recognises that we live in a world where commerce is part of life, and we are to be responsible in handling what is entrusted to us, we are not to love or to serve money above God.
https://www.differentspirit.org/post...have-money.php

Quote:
Money is not the root of all evil. But the love of money is the root of all evil (1 Tim. 6:10).
Quote:
16 out of 38 of Jesus’ parables deal with money and possessions
Quote:
There are more than 2,000 scriptures on tithing in the Bible, money, and possessions in the Bible, which is twice as many as faith and prayer combined
Many verses in the Bible talk about money, and for a good reason too, which leads me to my next point.

Second, money is frequently discussed in the Bible because there’s a direct correlation between the way we handle our money and our faith.

When it comes to money, we will either worship wealth or worship with our wealth.
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 01:29 AM   #3456
Gaetan
Master Poster

Where does Jesus say not to use money?
ESV Luke 10

Jesus Sends Out the Seventy-Two

10 After this the Lord appointed seventy-two[a] others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go. 2 And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. 4 Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house!’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you. 9 Heal the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But whenever you enter a town and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say, 11 ‘Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

Carry no money bag your wages are what is given to you: Gifts
We have to do the same, work for no money and receive gift as salary

Last edited by Gaetan; 12th March 2019 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12th March 2019, 05:12 AM   #3457
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

for the laborer deserves his wages.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But let's still have free sex workers, m'kay?
Old 12th March 2019, 05:13 AM   #3458
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Odd that you would bolden and embiggen the part that states "laborer deserves his wages" and wages are money. Working for food and shelter is slavery. It's what the rich and powerful want. Quit advocating for them.
Old 12th March 2019, 06:19 AM   #3459
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

To be accurate, you may have read accounts from alleged observers of JC - he did not write the christian bible.

If you believe JC is whispering in your ear, please seek medical intervention.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:04 AM   #3460
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

ESV Luke 10

10 After this the Lord appointed seventy-two[a] others and sent them on ahead of him, two by two, into every town and place where he himself was about to go. 2 And he said to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. 4 Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house!’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you. 9 Heal the sick in it and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But whenever you enter a town and they do not receive you, go into its streets and say, 11 ‘Even the dust of your town that clings to our feet we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near.’ 12 I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

Carry no money bag your wages are what is given to you: Gifts
What you quoted doesn't say that. It says

"Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road."

Wear shoes or sandals, do you?

Carry a knapsack, backpack, case, duffle bag or something else to contain your possessions, do you?

Greet people on the road, do you?

We have to do the same, work for no money and receive gift as salary
Again what you quoted doesn't say that, it specifically says those "seventy-two[a] others" were instructed to do that.

ETA: Again how can anyone else agree with you when even your own citations don't.

Last edited by The Man; 12th March 2019 at 09:05 AM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 09:15 AM   #3461
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
What you quoted doesn't say that. It says

"Carry no moneybag, no knapsack, no sandals, and greet no one on the road."

Wear shoes or sandals, do you?

Carry a knapsack, backpack, case, duffle bag or something else to contain your possessions, do you?

Greet people on the road, do you?

Again what you quoted doesn't say that, it specifically says those "seventy-two[a] others" were instructed to do that.

ETA: Again how can anyone else agree with you when even your own citations don't.
Persons that aren't tethered to reality can't be bothered with the constraints of rational thought or discussion.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 10:15 AM   #3462
Joecool
Master Poster

ESV Luke 10

It was nice of Gaetan to back up our claims that the Bible isn't against earning a fair wage even if that is money.

Quote:
The Parable of the Bags of Gold
14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,[a] each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’

21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant!
So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Sure sounds like God wants people to prosper. He rewarded those who invested and gained more gold. There is no reference about people working for free to help others.

I think this whole thing is a scam by Gaetan in hopes that he will get a free trip to Hawaii. But more likely he will get a kick in the a$$.
Old 12th March 2019, 10:39 AM   #3463
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

The trouble with all this 'judicious use of the printing press' economics is it leads to money inequalities. You must further the interests of the people.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 02:54 PM   #3464
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

So before the printing press, judiciously used or not, there were no "money inequalities"?
Old 14th March 2019, 03:31 AM   #3465
Gaetan
Master Poster

If you don't put into practice what Jesus says you won't go to heaven and have eternal life.

ESV Mt 10.5 These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, “Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, 6 but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And proclaim as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’[c] 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers,[d] cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. 9 Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts, 10 no bag for your journey, or two tunics[e] or sandals or a staff, for the laborer deserves his food. 11 And whatever town or village you enter, find out who is worthy in it and stay there until you depart. 12 As you enter the house, greet it. 13 And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it, but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. 15 Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.

That what we have to do: receive without paying and give without pay
Old 14th March 2019, 05:36 AM   #3466
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Do as Jesus says.

How do you feel now that you know you've been basing your entire thesis on your misunderstanding?
Old 14th March 2019, 06:04 AM   #3467
Leftus
Graduate Poster

That's a total bastardization of what was being said. He granted his followers some of his powers, and they were not to charge for using his powers. They may not charge for magically healing the sick, casting out demons or raising the dead.

Basically, if someone gave you money with the specific charge to help people, and you follow that edict, you may not charge people for the help you provide.

Of course, if they are Samaritans, then they can go pound sand. They get nothing.
Old 14th March 2019, 06:13 AM   #3468
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

If you don't put into practice what Jesus says you won't go to heaven and have eternal life.
Facts not in evidence.

Your delusion isn't any more valid than this nonsense:

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

Old 14th March 2019, 10:27 AM   #3469
Joecool
Master Poster

ESV Mt 10.5 These twelve Jesus sent out, instructing them, “Go nowhere among the Gentiles and enter no town of the Samaritans, 6 but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And proclaim as you go, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’[c] 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers,[d] cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. 9 Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts, 10 no bag for your journey, or two tunics[e] or sandals or a staff, for the laborer deserves his food. 11 And whatever town or village you enter, find out who is worthy in it and stay there until you depart. 12 As you enter the house, greet it. 13 And if the house is worthy, let your peace come upon it, but if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. 14 And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. 15 Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town.

Gaetan, this is a set of instructions that Jesus gave his disciples before sending them out to evangelize the word of God.

This is not instructions on how the rest of the population is supposed to live.

There is no mention of a no money society.

The disciples needed no money because Jesus gave them the power to raise the dead and heal the sick. The rest of us need to work a job or business to pay our bills. You included apparently.
Old 15th March 2019, 03:19 AM   #3470
Gaetan
Master Poster

Do as Jesus says.

How do you feel now that you know you've been basing your entire thesis on your misunderstanding?
Ya but it has to be gifts ''without pay'' Jesus says the same thing of what i told you

Last edited by Gaetan; 15th March 2019 at 03:42 AM.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:45 AM   #3471
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Ya but it has to be gifts ''without pay'' Jesus says the same thing of what i told you
No, this is what Jesus tells you:

You can no longer pretend it doesn't say that. To do so is to lie.
Old 15th March 2019, 06:07 AM   #3472
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

No, this is what Jesus tells you:

You can no longer pretend it doesn't say that. To do so is to lie.
If an individual is untethered from reality, are they lying or simply delusional?

My pov is that the poster in question is delusional.

Old 15th March 2019, 11:08 AM   #3473
Leftus
Graduate Poster

That is not what he said. He said that his followers could not charge for the services of healing the sick, raising the dead, and casting out demons because they were not providing that service, that the services were really coming from Jesus / God. It has nothing to do with standard labor. It was not their labor they were providing so they should not charge for it.
Old 16th March 2019, 03:50 AM   #3474
Gaetan
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
That is not what he said. He said that his followers could not charge for the services of healing the sick, raising the dead, and casting out demons because they were not providing that service, that the services were really coming from Jesus / God. It has nothing to do with standard labor. It was not their labor they were providing so they should not charge for it.
You Pharisee called work healing on the sabbath.
Old 16th March 2019, 05:15 AM   #3475
Little 10 Toes
Graduate Poster

Work has a very special meaning for the Jewish faith.

Activities prohibited on ShabbatWP
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 07:03 AM   #3476
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

You just won't be able to get away from Jesus saying that the laborer deserves his wages. Are you saying that Jesus was lying?
Old 16th March 2019, 07:46 AM   #3477
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Why don't you address the points I made? BTW, in the context of Jesus, healing wasn't curing anything. The dead was never raised and no demons were cast out either.
Old 16th March 2019, 08:57 AM   #3478
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Your Khmer Rouge had no-money society.

Your Khmer Rouge had work for all.

Your Khmer Rouge had full income equality.

Your Khmer Rouge murdered the poors and riches alike.

Why do you love Khmer Rouge more than Jesus?

Old 16th March 2019, 08:58 AM   #3479
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

None of us are those twelve. Do you not go "among the Gentiles"? Been to a "town of the Samaritans", have you?
Old 17th March 2019, 03:13 AM   #3480
Gaetan
Master Poster

Gaetan, this is a set of instructions that Jesus gave his disciples before sending them out to evangelize the word of God.

This is not instructions on how the rest of the population is supposed to live.

There is no mention of a no money society.

The disciples needed no money because Jesus gave them the power to raise the dead and heal the sick. The rest of us need to work a job or business to pay our bills. You included apparently.
You received without paying; give without pay. 9 Acquire no gold or silver or copper for your belts,

this has nothing to do with the love of money. He doesn't want to see any money at all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance