ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Old 30th January 2019, 02:59 PM   #161
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Another thing, I can't even find "East Lower Water Street" in Chicago
In that part of the city, streets have an upper and a lower. The street is Water St. East of State St. makes it "East Water Street." Being the Lower Level makes it "Lower East Water Street."

The lower level streets really help downtown Chicago traffic, as they keep a lot of utility and delivery trucks below the surface traffic.

I recently parked down by this spot to go to dinner; there are a lot of easy metered parking spots, because people don't know how or don't want to go underground.

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I imagine he was just looking for a footlong.

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Gloves, maybe. Ski masks? Is that a thing in the US (when people aren't skiing?)
I'm in downtown Chicago today, and several people are wearing ski masks and even ski goggles. The wind chill is like 50 below. They are literally setting the train tracks on fire to warm them up.

If someone put a noose around my neck, and I escaped that situation, I think that I would remove it post haste. I know that this is a lame, anecdotal argument from incredulity, but there you go.

You can't draw a conclusion by the late hour, because these shows often shoot super late when the streets are empty. Empire, Chicago Fire/PD, etc.

I doubt that the Empire guy was doing a full on Morton Downey Jr. nazi attack hoax, but I will confess that it crossed my mind when I heard that Chicago was "MAGA country," lol. Tell that to our 16 mayoral candidates.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:06 PM   #162
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
and several people are wearing ski masks and even ski goggles. The wind chill is like 50 below.
are they all positive thinkers yelling 'stop being so negative'?
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 03:07 PM   #163
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
In that part of the city, streets have an upper and a lower. The street is Water St. East of State St. makes it "East Water Street." Being the Lower Level makes it "Lower East Water Street."

The lower level streets really help downtown Chicago traffic, as they keep a lot of utility and delivery trucks below the surface traffic.

I recently parked down by this spot to go to dinner; there are a lot of easy metered parking spots, because people don't know how or don't want to go underground.

I'm in downtown Chicago today, and several people are wearing ski masks and even ski goggles. The wind chill is like 50 below. They are literally setting the train tracks on fire to warm them up.

If someone put a noose around my neck, and I escaped that situation, I think that I would remove it post haste. I know that this is a lame, anecdotal argument from incredulity, but there you go.

You can't draw a conclusion by the late hour, because these shows often shoot super late when the streets are empty. Empire, Chicago Fire/PD, etc.

I doubt that the Empire guy was doing a full on Morton Downey Jr. nazi attack hoax, but I will confess that it crossed my mind when I heard that Chicago was "MAGA country," lol. Tell that to our 16 mayoral candidates.
If any single aspect of this story screams that it's fake, it's this.
Old 30th January 2019, 04:16 PM   #164
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Maybe Jussie thinks his racial hoax story will succeed where his former "Empire" costar's failed.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 04:36 PM   #165
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Chicago police investigating assault on Jussie Smollett identify two 'persons of interest' on security footage from the night he says he was beaten, after earlier claiming they could not find anyone

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Chicago police investigating the alleged attack on Empire star Jussie Smollett are now saying they have identified two 'persons of interest' on surveillance footage from the night he says he was beaten. Earlier on Wednesday, police said they had failed to find any footage showing two men attacking the actor as they shouted 'this is MAGA country'.

Officers said that detectives reviewed CCTV video of Smollett walking to his apartment building in downtown Chicago Tuesday morning, and ‘for the most part’ they can confirm the route he took when he says he was accosted by the assailants. However, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi noted there were gaps and none of the footage police had reviewed showed the alleged attack.

But now, officers are saying they have located a security camera that shows 'potential persons of interest wanted for questioning in reference to the assault & battery' of Smollett. Authorities said a community alert with photos is being constructed and will be disseminated shortly...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-week-ago.html
Old 30th January 2019, 04:36 PM   #166
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Maybe Jussie thinks his racial hoax story will succeed where his former "Empire" costar's failed.
Trying to derail?

Your story is unrelated and doesn't say what you imply it shows.
Old 30th January 2019, 04:38 PM   #167
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Quote:
CASE UPDATE: Hours ago #ChicagoPolice detectives located a surveillance camera that shows potential persons of interest wanted for questioning in reference to the assault & battery of Empire actor. A community alert w/ photos is being constructed and will be disseminated shortly.
Linky.

ETA: Ninja'd.
Old 30th January 2019, 04:59 PM   #168
This is The End

In any thread, in any situation, we have to wait for facts. We all know that here.

But what is hilarious is how many posters in this thread tried to use that as cover for being racist... and failed miserably at it. We know from past threads who you are. We know when you chose to be extra careful special skeptical (racist).

Your oh so convenient super cautiousness in specific threads is not a coincidence and is not lost on the careful reader.

The worst ones of the bunch are the ones that do it all the time even though they claim to be Democrats.

We expect this crap from Republicans in every single news story that involves a black person. We can deal with that. But when supposed Democrats do it it normalizes the Republicans doing it. It is shameful.

And, again, as I said in my opening sentence. In any thread, in any situation, we have to wait for facts. We all know that here. It is possible that this specific story was a hoax. But we can easily separate the posters that have healthy skepticism from those that have their oh so convenient (and confident!) extra careful special super cautious skepticism
Old 30th January 2019, 05:04 PM   #169
This is The End

And what is even more rich is that they think their act works. They don't understand how transparent it is because of Dunning–Kruger.

They will even read my post above and say "You can't possibly know that for sure!"

While failing to realize that that is exactly what they are doing.
Old 30th January 2019, 05:18 PM   #170
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Chicago police investigating assault on Jussie Smollett identify two 'persons of interest' on security footage from the night he says he was beaten, after earlier claiming they could not find anyone

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-week-ago.html
I may have missed it but no mention that he had the noose around his neck in any of the footage. since that's what he's hanging his hat on, I would think it worth a mention.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:33 PM   #171
The Big Dog
Suspended

I laughed when the "skeptic" declared that people who doubt this silly story are racist.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 05:49 PM   #172
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Apparently 'more than a dozen' detectives, plus beat cops, aren't sufficient to investigate this heinous act of violence, congressman Bobby Rush (whoever the **** he is) "wants the FBI to open a hate crime investigation."

I'm just glad this Smollett guy isn't receiving preferential treatment.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/em...ck-hate-crime/
All the more embarrassing if it turned out to be a hoax, right?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:08 PM   #173
The Big Dog
Suspended

The case is broken!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...130-story.html

What a ******* clown show.

/maybe they could use one of the detectives to locate the 5 guys shown in crystal clear pictures that have been strong arming women in the area? Ha! Just joking. Pointing that out is probably racist.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:11 PM   #174
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
If it was a white guy we would not have heard **** about it, because white people get mugged all the time in that area, and it does not crack the daily briefs section of the major papers around here, let alone the nationwide hysteria.

Bet you did not hear about these future community organizers stomping women about 4 blocks from our hero, now did you?

Just an old fashioned mugging
Gone full white sheet and hood, have we? That is the most blatant thing you've managed to sneak through (probably because everyone was busy looking at the news about the police having persons of interest).

The similarities between these degenerate punks and Obama are what? Well there's their skin color. And then there's their skin color. And if that isn't evidence enough, there's always their skin color.

Here come the pretend skeptics on the right to condemn this for the abject bigotry that it is. (I'm kidding, they're all hiding in other threads because they made such fools of themselves.)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:20 PM   #175
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

More details:

Quote:
Chicago police released the photos late Wednesday. The photos show two silhouettes on New Street near Illinois between 1:30 a.m. and 1:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Chicago police released two surveillance images of "potential persons of interest" in the alleged attack on actor Jussie Smollett.

At about 2 a.m. Tuesday, Smollett, 36, was walking alone in the 300-block of East North Water Street when two people he didn't know started yelling racial and homophobic slurs at him, police said. He told Chicago police that the attackers yelled "MAGA country," Guglielmi said.

Police are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime. A dozen detectives are working on the case and had reviewed hundreds of hours of surveillance video before finding the images of the potential persons of interest. Chicago police said they would like to question the two people in for questioning.

Brandon Z. Moore, Smollett's music manager, said he was on the phone with the actor when he heard some of the attack, and heard the words "MAGA country."

"I heard that clearly. I heard the scuffle and I heard the racial slur," Moore told Variety.
Linky.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:24 PM   #176
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Yep those two guys look white to me in that picture kind of sort of maybe probably
Old 30th January 2019, 07:29 PM   #177
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Gone full white sheet and hood, have we? That is the most blatant thing you've managed to sneak through (probably because everyone was busy looking at the news about the police having persons of interest).

The similarities between these degenerate punks and Obama are what? Well there's their skin color. And then there's their skin color. And if that isn't evidence enough, there's always their skin color.

Here come the pretend skeptics on the right to condemn this for the abject bigotry that it is. (I'm kidding, they're all hiding in other threads because they made such fools of themselves.)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Huh, the story is about those punks strong arm mugging women in the Loop, and you are outraged about my post? That is hilarious!

Some people are outraged that the cops are wasting their time on this nonsense
Old 30th January 2019, 07:34 PM   #178
The Big Dog
Suspended

Huh, the dozen detectives working on this and they release a single still from a video camera?

Sounds legit, they were probably goose stepping, because MAGA COUNTRY!

Last edited by The Big Dog; 30th January 2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:50 PM   #179
The Big Dog
Suspended

Sorry, there were two pictures!

The other one was worse.

They were walking in the wrong direction from the alleged incident a half an hour earlier.

Sounds legit.

Hey Jake, forget it, is Chinatown MAGA Country!

#blackliesmatter

Last edited by The Big Dog; 30th January 2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 30th January 2019, 07:53 PM   #180
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Huh, the dozen detectives working on this and they release a single still from a video camera?
You're new to this, aren't you?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 07:58 PM   #181
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You're new to this, aren't you?
I guess, they released two!
Old 30th January 2019, 08:25 PM   #182
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Huh, the story is about those punks strong arm mugging women in the Loop, and you are outraged about my post? That is hilarious!

Some people are outraged that the cops are wasting their time on this nonsense
The two aren't mutually exclusive. You interjected a totally unrelated story into this thread and are now insinuating that I'm distracting everyone by ignoring your story that shouldn't have been here?

I don't ignore stories about groups of marauding teens mugging people. I don't put them front and center because they're rather common. Sadly, they seem to be more common in Chicago, but I'm willing to bet that's not statistical but due to media saturation.

What's most interesting to me, however, is that you grab a story that has only ONE factor about the perps known. That which is visible. And that, of course is dominated by their skin color. You segue that into "future community organizers". Tell us who you meant by that? Do they remind you of Bill Ayers? Saul Alinsky?

Could it be OBAMA!

Scurrilous!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2019, 11:05 PM   #183
Mumbles
Philosopher

Like I said, there's a reason people just ignore the Black Hebrew Israelites...

Anyway, the photos are a lead - not much of one, but possibly enough to get another tip or two. And hey, maybe those two are innocent, in which case they should find a lawyer, and talk to the cops with their lawyers present.

Yeah, I know, not everyone can afford to just "get a lawyer". That's a flaw with our system.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 03:33 AM   #184
baron

So the police have located two unidentified people who were in the vicinity within 30 minutes of the alleged attack. Looks like I have to take it back, these hundreds of man-hours of investigation are really paying off.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 05:10 AM   #185
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

So we have a phone call that exactly pinpoints the time of the attack.

We should then be able to positively rule the two people in the still image, in or out, because the exact time of that image is also known.

So I would say the people in the still are almost certainly unrelated to the attack, because the police must know the timing of events.

The police most likely just want to know if they saw or heard anything.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 05:18 AM   #186
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm confused, is this a thread for us to take sides based on our political preferences, or is it a thread to guess what actually happened and hope to be proved right later so we can look clever? Those are the only two schools of skepticism here.
The 'skeptics' forums have not been spared from the stupid tribalism that seems to be everywhere.

I'm basically a political orphan at this point because I believe in man-made climate change AND I believe sometimes people fake hate-crimes.
Old 31st January 2019, 06:22 AM   #187
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I've never seen the show he's on, is it any good?
I enjoyed season 1, but it gets pretty over the top. I gave up after one or two episodes of season 2.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 07:08 AM   #188
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
The 'skeptics' forums have not been spared from the stupid tribalism that seems to be everywhere.

I'm basically a political orphan at this point because I believe in man-made climate change AND I believe sometimes people fake hate-crimes.
Would you like to join my enlightened alt centrism party?
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 07:44 AM   #189
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
Would you like to join my enlightened alt centrism party?

Sure, but it's ALT-right, CTRL-left, and ESC-center.
Old 31st January 2019, 07:55 AM   #190
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post

Sometimes people fake rapes, robberies, and yes, even murders (or at least, try to create a false murderer). As This is the End said, it's telling that some members become extremely skeptical for a very particular type of hate crime, while accepting others even when the known evidence is laughable or entirely against the claim (remember "the knockout game", or the claim that Trayvon Martin was "gay-bashing"?)
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 08:56 AM   #191
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

We should then be able to positively rule the two people in the still image, in or out, because the exact time of that image is also known.

So I would say the people in the still are almost certainly unrelated to the attack, because the police must know the timing of events.

The police most likely just want to know if they saw or heard anything.

Smollett refuses to turn his phone over to investigators
Old 31st January 2019, 09:04 AM   #192
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Smollett refuses to turn his phone over to investigators
If he's playing a game with the letter and the attack, it's a dangerous one.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:06 AM   #193
Thermal
Philosopher

Not clear on this whole story. Do I have this right?

He claims to have suffered a racist attack around 2AM, where bleach is thrown on him and a cord is put noose-style around his neck. Goes to friend's house, who calls police around 2:35. Cops show up around 2:45. He still has the cord around his neck and is sitting with clothes soaked in bleach? I mean, 45 minutes later, up and walking around?

eta: I guess it was cold out, so primarily his outer coat would have gotten hit with bleach. So he took off his coat (presumably, being indoors) but left this cord around his neck the whole time?

Last edited by Thermal; 31st January 2019 at 09:36 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 09:07 AM   #194
The Big Dog
Suspended

CBS News reports that surveillance video, obtained by police, shows Smollett walking around but doesn’t show an attack/assault. Chicago police tell CBS News that they don’t yet physical evidence proving the crime happened, but police have not said the claims are untrue.

The Chicago PD have put more resources into this ******** than any murder this year.
Old 31st January 2019, 09:33 AM   #195
angrysoba
Philosophile

CBS News reports that surveillance video, obtained by police, shows Smollett walking around but doesn’t show an attack/assault. Chicago police tell CBS News that they don’t yet physical evidence proving the crime happened, but police have not said the claims are untrue.

The Chicago PD have put more resources into this ******** than any murder this year.
If that’s true*, we can agree they ought to put more effort into solving murders.

*evidence?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 10:00 AM   #196
The Big Dog
Suspended

Local reporter Rob Eglas has been following the story

Here is his twitter feed

Let me clarify. On one camera the "persons of interest" are seated at a bench. ACROSS the same street, Smollett is seen walking. Smollett is recorded on that different camera walking. The "persons of interest" are also seen walking, but on the other side of the same street.

"The next time Smollett is seen on surveillance camera, he is entering a condo building. Police say he now has a rope around his neck and is "wearing it like a neck tie". About a minute (maybe less) has passed since he was seen on video."

Plus, and I warn you to brace yourselves: the photo they cops released has resulted in no leads at all!

Hahahaha!!
Old 31st January 2019, 10:05 AM   #197
baron

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Not clear on this whole story. Do I have this right?

He claims to have suffered a racist attack around 2AM, where bleach is thrown on him and a cord is put noose-style around his neck. Goes to friend's house, who calls police around 2:35. Cops show up around 2:45. He still has the cord around his neck and is sitting with clothes soaked in bleach? I mean, 45 minutes later, up and walking around?
Sure, as you do. Attacked at 2am by two men shouting "This is MAGA country!", then walks around for 30 minutes covered in bleach, wearing a rope around his neck 'like a neck tie' and with a cracked rib.

Fortunately it has emerged that he was on the phone to his manager when the attack took place, and the manager heard the attackers shout, "This is MAGA country."

Unfortunately he is declining to hand this piece of crucial evidence to the police.

Again, as you do.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2019, 10:06 AM   #198
The Big Dog
Suspended

Our fair hero also walked directly past security at his friends condo building, without mentioning the attack that took place a minute earlier.

Sounds totally legit.

the CPD ought to send a ******* bill to the producers of Empire for wasting our ******* time.
Old 31st January 2019, 10:24 AM   #199
The Big Dog
Suspended

Breaking: Jussie's music manager legit heard his attackers CLEARLY yell out "This is MAGA Country"!

Totes Horrifying!

In other totally and completely unrelated news, Jussie's scheduled to sing this saturday! yay.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 31st January 2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 31st January 2019, 10:27 AM   #200
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
No we do not. We have a claim of a phone call, but the police have not yet examined the phone records. We won't know what we actually have until that happens.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events