ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , assault incidents , Chicago incidents , Jussie Smollett

Closed Thread
Old 16th March 2019, 05:32 AM   #3121
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

One of the brothers just won a boxing match by delivering a knockout in the first round...

Originally Posted by TMZ
The Osundairo brothers told Chicago police if they really wanted to hurt Jussie Smollett, they could've killed him ... and here's proof.

We've obtained video of Abel Osundairo throwing haymakers Thursday night in Chicago, and you can tell the "Empire" extra is a beast in the ring. Take solace in the fact you weren't his opponent.

Remember, Abel's lawyer says Jussie told the brothers he wanted Abel to "attack" him, but not rough him up too badly. Judging by his boxing skills, Abel suppressed his true strength during the "attack."...
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/16/abel-...mollett-attack
Old 16th March 2019, 01:23 PM   #3122
mgidm86
Philosopher

And that's a knockout in less than a minute. Pretty impressive. Jussie must be one bad dude to defend against TWO of these guys and come out virtually unscathed! He coulda been a contenda!
Old 16th March 2019, 02:58 PM   #3123
yeti101
Thinker

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
And that's a knockout in less than a minute. Pretty impressive. Jussie must be one bad dude to defend against TWO of these guys and come out virtually unscathed! He coulda been a contenda!
I heard Jussie is a black belt in hair pulling
yeti101 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 03:11 PM   #3124
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by yeti101 View Post
I heard Jussie is a black belt in hair pulling
Maybe so, but he failed the noose removal part of the course.
Old 16th March 2019, 05:39 PM   #3125
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Maybe so, but he failed the noose removal part of the course.
I expect he skipped that module. Noose attacks being virtually unknown, and all.

I mean, how retarded is this whole narrative, when you stop to think about it?

When was the last time we heard of a hate crime that involved hanging props on an unharmed victim? Where did this noose idea even come from?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 06:15 PM   #3126
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I expect he skipped that module. Noose attacks being virtually unknown, and all.

I mean, how retarded is this whole narrative, when you stop to think about it?

When was the last time we heard of a hate crime that involved hanging props on an unharmed victim? Where did this noose idea even come from?
And yet there appears to be some who still believe him. I will never understand the thought processes.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #3127
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And yet there appears to be some who still believe him. I will never understand the thought processes.
Tbf, is there any interpretation of events that is not bizzare? From the Worlds Most Incompetent Hoax Attempt to CPD trumping up charges to the Osundario's covering their own crimes with a goofy story, there isn't much to make one version more believable than the others.

Smollett pled not guilty. If there was a strong case against him, bad move (as opposed to a plea). In light of how off the wall the whole ordeal is, maybe we are putting too much credibility on the Osundario's version?
Old 19th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #3128
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
In light of how off the wall the whole ordeal is, maybe we are putting too much credibility on the Osundario's version?
The Chicago police say that they have the attack practice session on security camera video.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:55 AM   #3129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Tbf, is there any interpretation of events that is not bizzare?
The only one I can think of is, "most criminals are really stupid." Fortunately, that is more than enough to interpret this whole incident.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:02 AM   #3130
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The Chicago police say that they have the attack practice session on security camera video.
Ok. What does it actually show? Grainy CC vid of bundled up guys walking in the cold? Based on the earlier persons of interest pics, I highly doubt this vid is clear enough to demonstrate anything to criminal proof standards
Old 19th March 2019, 09:09 AM   #3131
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The only one I can think of is, "most criminals are really stupid." Fortunately, that is more than enough to interpret this whole incident.
Accepting that level of stupidity makes me inclined to accept any level from any of the players. Even CPD accepting a ridiculous tale from the Osundarios to nail Jussie.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:18 AM   #3132
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Ok. What does it actually show? Grainy CC vid of bundled up guys walking in the cold? Based on the earlier persons of interest pics, I highly doubt this vid is clear enough to demonstrate anything to criminal proof standards
So far it appears that his accomplices are cooperating with the prosecution. If they says "yeah, that's us and Jussie" it will be fine.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:28 AM   #3133
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
So far it appears that his accomplices are cooperating with the prosecution. If they says "yeah, that's us and Jussie" it will be fine.
And if Smollett says that they are lying? Or that they did meet, and walk around, but it was to score ecstasy or some other reason?

The whole of the evidence seems to hinge on the brothers recounting, rather than hard evidence. Pure spitballing: the Osundarios were or were planning to shake down Smollett. They are at least marginally competent petty criminals and had Plan B at the ready. CPD buys it. Is that much loopier than a staged hoax?
Old 19th March 2019, 09:32 AM   #3134
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It will show the CPD that the brothers are telling the truth. It would corroborate their story. The police would be looking for ways to see if the brothers are being honest.

Another is the video of the brothers buying the rope.

Investigators can actually use these bits of forensic evidence and even more to test the honesty of the brothers.

Meanwhile, Smollett has failed their tests of honesty.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:41 AM   #3135
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Accepting that level of stupidity makes me inclined to accept any level from any of the players. Even CPD accepting a ridiculous tale from the Osundarios to nail Jussie.
Oh, for sure. We could be looking at a perfect storm of spread-spectrum criminal stupidity.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:19 AM   #3136
carlitos
"más divertido"

On the bright side, State's Attorney Kim Foxx might be exposed for her corruption as part of this investigation.

Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
After being approached by a politically connected lawyer, State’s Attorney Kimberly Foxx asked Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson to turn over the investigation of Jussie Smollett’s reported attack to the FBI, according to communications provided to the Tribune.

Foxx reached out to Johnson after Tina Tchen, former chief of staff to first lady Michelle Obama, emailed Foxx saying the actor’s family had unspecified “concerns about the investigation.” Tchen, a close friend of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s wife, said she was acting on behalf of the “Empire” actor and his family. A relative later exchanged texts with Foxx.
I remember my optimism that we would be rid of some of this machine politics back when we sent Obama, Emanuel, Axelrod, Bill Daley and all of these clowns to Washington back in 2008. So naive.

Last edited by carlitos; 19th March 2019 at 10:22 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 08:19 AM   #3137
bytewizard
Master Poster

All charges against Smollet have been dropped! WTF?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 08:21 AM   #3138
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by CBS Chicago
Less than two weeks after “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty to 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly lying to police about a hate crime, prosecutors have dropped charges in the case.
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03...harges-dropped
Old 26th March 2019, 08:27 AM   #3139
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Charges dropped against ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett as part of deal

Originally Posted by Chicago Sun-Times
Prosecutors on Tuesday dropped charges against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett at a surprise court hearing.

The actor, who was charged with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly hiring two men to attack him in a staged hate-crime attack near his Streeterville home in January, has reached a deferred prosecution deal with prosecutors that will wipe out the charges against him. Smollett will forfeit the $10,000 he posted for bond.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said in statement.

Smollett’s attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes issued a statement after the hearing:

“Today, all criminal charges against Jussie Smollett were dropped and his record has been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him. Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgment.

“Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong. It is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect. Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.

“Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career.”...
https://chicago.suntimes.com/enterta...-court-hearing
Old 26th March 2019, 08:30 AM   #3140
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Smollett isn't "innocent" of the charges.
Smollett isn't "not guilty" of the charges.

But he and his lawyers will publicly promote the opposite.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:31 AM   #3141
Thermal
Philosopher

So: was Smollett shaken down by CPD for 10 large, or did he pay off CPD to drop it?

Perfect plausible deniability for all!
Old 26th March 2019, 08:35 AM   #3142
Ernie M
Muse

deleted, someone already posted information I was going to make.

Last edited by Ernie M; 26th March 2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: deleted my post,
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 08:41 AM   #3143
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Deferred prosecution agreement surrendering $10,000 and Smollett's attorney is still asserting that the attack happened. Boy I'd love to know what happened here, this result makes no sense.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:43 AM   #3144
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Boy I'd love to know what happened here, this result makes no sense.
It's essentially explained...

Originally Posted by Chicago Sun-Times
“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County state’s attorney’s office said in statement.
They basically decided that Smollett has already been "punished" for the crimes.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:47 AM   #3145
Thermal
Philosopher

They basically decided that Smollett has already been "punished" paid in cash for the crimes.
FTFY
Old 26th March 2019, 08:50 AM   #3146
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Up until the charges were dropped, I had come around mostly to the view that Jussie had perpetrated a hoax. But the main evidence that pushed me over that line was law enforcement apparent certainty.

As I said before, any interpretation of the facts is going to have some degree of head scratching weirdness.

Right now I can think of two semi plausible explanations why the case is dropped that fit the publicly available evidence. I've stepped away from following this for a bit, so feel free to correct me if I'm missing anything newer.

1) Its being dropped for reasons unrelated to the prosecutor's certainty that Jussie perpetrated a hoax. This might be some political or image concern. It might be some police or evidence handling misconduct which would make CPD look bad and make it not worth prosecuting.

2) New information has come to light which casts doubt on the brother's story. A few posters here are suggesting that the brothers apparent ability to beat the cheap out of Smollett means that Smollett must have been a willing co-conspirator. It seems to me that the brothers may have had a plan that involved scaring Smollett but not necessarily injuring him. It would be a weird motivation, but so is just about every other motivation. Off the top of my head, they could have been trying to scare him into hiring them as bodyguards. We know he didn't have one and that they would fit the role well. Or they might have been laying the groundwork with the letter and the attack for some third action which they'd then pin on the made up white supremacists. I think evidence that the brothers rather than Jussie created the letter would weigh towards this option (unless I missed some stronger evidence which ties Jussie to the letter. In which case, I'd expect some federal charges)

I'd be interested to hear other theories for why the case might be dropped at this stage.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 08:52 AM   #3147
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

They basically decided that Smollett has already been "punished" for the crimes.
I am confusing deferred prosecution and deferred judgment. Seems that deferred prosecution does not require entering a guilty plea.

This is a very unsatisfying conclusion. No exoneration, no admittance of guilt, just a cash fine to make the problem go away. This doesn't strike me as justice in any sense.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:56 AM   #3148
Thermal
Philosopher

I am confusing deferred prosecution and deferred judgment. Seems that deferred prosecution does not require entering a guilty plea.

This is a very unsatisfying conclusion. No exoneration, no admittance of guilt, just a cash fine to make the problem go away. This doesn't strike me as justice in any sense.
Welcome to the States!
Old 26th March 2019, 09:00 AM   #3149
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Justice may be blind, but it has deep pockets.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:01 AM   #3150
Drewbot
Philosopher

The Mayor must have put some pressure on them.
Drewbot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:02 AM   #3151
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Nailed it!

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Felony disorderly conduct?

Maybe the Euros could get that charge to stick!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:05 AM   #3152
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I don't think he still has his job. Although they may rehire him.

And apologize!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:08 AM   #3153
mumblethrax
Species traitor

TOTALLY EXONERATED!!!!
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:09 AM   #3154
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Up until the charges were dropped, I had come around mostly to the view that Jussie had perpetrated a hoax. But the main evidence that pushed me over that line was law enforcement apparent certainty.

As I said before, any interpretation of the facts is going to have some degree of head scratching weirdness.

Right now I can think of two semi plausible explanations why the case is dropped that fit the publicly available evidence. I've stepped away from following this for a bit, so feel free to correct me if I'm missing anything newer.

1) Its being dropped for reasons unrelated to the prosecutor's certainty that Jussie perpetrated a hoax. This might be some political or image concern. It might be some police or evidence handling misconduct which would make CPD look bad and make it not worth prosecuting.

2) New information has come to light which casts doubt on the brother's story. A few posters here are suggesting that the brothers apparent ability to beat the cheap out of Smollett means that Smollett must have been a willing co-conspirator. It seems to me that the brothers may have had a plan that involved scaring Smollett but not necessarily injuring him. It would be a weird motivation, but so is just about every other motivation. Off the top of my head, they could have been trying to scare him into hiring them as bodyguards. We know he didn't have one and that they would fit the role well. Or they might have been laying the groundwork with the letter and the attack for some third action which they'd then pin on the made up white supremacists. I think evidence that the brothers rather than Jussie created the letter would weigh towards this option (unless I missed some stronger evidence which ties Jussie to the letter. In which case, I'd expect some federal charges)

I'd be interested to hear other theories for why the case might be dropped at this stage.
The FBI called and said that they couldn't ID the letter (I haven't been paying much attention so maybe they did?) and the Police were suddenly wasting too much time on a (now) small potatoes case.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:16 AM   #3155
sadhatter
Philosopher

Tbf, is there any interpretation of events that is not bizzare? From the Worlds Most Incompetent Hoax Attempt to CPD trumping up charges to the Osundario's covering their own crimes with a goofy story, there isn't much to make one version more believable than the others.

Smollett pled not guilty. If there was a strong case against him, bad move (as opposed to a plea). In light of how off the wall the whole ordeal is, maybe we are putting too much credibility on the Osundario's version?
No "talentless knob tries idiotic thing to extend career " is pretty run of the mill. I don't think many reasonable foods are thinking he didn't do it at this point. And most reasonable folks knew this on like day 3.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:22 AM   #3156
sadhatter
Philosopher

FTFY
That is ******* disgusting. Completely balls to the wall disgusting.

I have nothing else to say other than I hate the fact society is so ****** that we no longer feel the need to dispense justice if someone is the right combination of famous and part of the correct groups.

I can't say it happened to me, but this is the **** that makes bigots of fence sitters.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:23 AM   #3157
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

♫Where can I find a lawyer like that?♫
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:25 AM   #3158
Ernie M
Muse

How could this happen? What really happened?

The case is sealed?! Will the public ever see all the evidence, see the facts?

So who, and what, are we to believe, if the underlying facts can never be publicly known?

Taking a close look at what you see and hear
on a "Real Life. Drama." TV series.
Ernie M is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:26 AM   #3159
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Deferred prosecution agreement surrendering $10,000 and Smollett's attorney is still asserting that the attack happened. Boy I'd love to know what happened here, this result makes no sense.
It makes perket major metro administration of justice sense.

Prosecuting Smollett would not benefit the local politico's or the local prosecutor's office.

San Francisco tanked the case against the individual who murdered Kate Steinle - not guilty of an overcharge of 1st degree murder (it wasn't in any fashion premeditated), guilty of felon in possession of a firearm.

San Mateo county allowed the actor that murdered my friend Julius Long 12-24-99 to plead to misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter and walk with less than 90 days in work furlough custody - meaning he served weekends and evenings in county.

Once you watch murderers walk, nothing is surprising.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th March 2019, 09:26 AM   #3160
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
That is ******* disgusting. Completely balls to the wall disgusting.

I have nothing else to say other than I hate the fact society is so ****** that we no longer feel the need to dispense justice if someone is the right combination of famous and part of the correct groups.

I can't say it happened to me, but this is the **** that makes bigots of fence sitters.
Indeed.

This is total clown world, as far as I can ascertain.

I think strings were pulled, pressure was exerted, and I would wager there are probably some very angry cops in Chicago right now with strong opinions on this. Would love to get some good leaks from them.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events