ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ISIS issues

Old 9th March 2019, 07:59 AM   #401
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I'm struggling to find a solitary ounce of sympathy; all the while realising what that says about me.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 9th March 2019 at 08:31 AM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 08:02 AM   #402
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
The BBC and SKY journalists plus attendant camera crews had no problems at all going here and back.
No doubt they have suitable paperwork and are not current/ex ISIS members? I'd guess it would have taken a concerted and possibly lengthy diplomatic intervention to extract an individual refugee.

eta:

'There are currently no British diplomats in Syria because of security risks. If Begum wanted to return to the UK, she would have “to make her way to Turkey or Iraq to consular services there”, [the UK security minister] added.'

Last edited by GlennB; 9th March 2019 at 08:05 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 08:36 AM   #403
Arcade22
Philosopher

Begum is not an innocent victim by any stretch of imagination but she did beg the British government to let her return to the UK with her expected newborn. It could and should have said yes, as she was clearly a vulnerable individual.
You make it sound so simple and easy. There's millions of those in Syria alone. I don't see why she should expect any preferential treatment considering the circumstances behind her stay in the area, even if she happens to be a British citizen.

Quote:
The baby is an innocent victim.
And there are many more dying out there right now. They not a special.

I think something concerted now has to be done internationally to save those children in the Syrian refuge camps.
Again, she and her child isn't special. Syria isn't special. This is the kind of thing that's happening in pretty much every violent conflict on earth. There are already aid organizations in place to help with these situations but they can't work miracles.

The reason these peoples situation is so precarious is because they pretty much tried to hold out for as long as possible in a area that only became smaller and smaller. They only decided to escape when they ran out of food and had nowhere else to turn. They should be glad that they are still alive.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 9th March 2019 at 08:37 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 08:38 AM   #404
Arcade22
Philosopher

The BBC and SKY journalists plus attendant camera crews had no problems at all going here and back.
They went from the UK straight to the refugee camp she was staying in for the express purpose of interviewing her? It's far more likely they were already in the area documenting the "last stand" of the caliphate which isn't even over.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 9th March 2019 at 08:43 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 09:03 AM   #405
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
You make it sound so simple and easy. There's millions of those in Syria alone. I don't see why she should expect any preferential treatment considering the circumstances behind her stay in the area, even if she happens to be a British citizen.
The death of babies in a refugee camp is tragic but why should this one entitle a person who rejected Britain in favour of ISIS to special treatment? If we are going to rescue people from the refugee camps lets start with those who were the innocent victims of the very group Begum so enthusiastically supported.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:58 AM   #406
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Eh? Your UK nationality is not dependent on your personal views. You could be a serial murderer/rapist, a pension-fund raiding crook or granny-bashing mugger, yet still be 100% a British national.

Kimo sabe?
Which is not what you were saying, you were using her losing another baby (she seems quite careless with her children) as why we should be compassionate towards her. Since she had already lost two kids what makes it different now it is?
Old 9th March 2019, 09:59 AM   #407
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Begum is not an innocent victim by any stretch of imagination but she did beg the British government to let her return to the UK with her expected newborn. It could and should have said yes, as she was clearly a vulnerable individual.

The baby is an innocent victim.
So why didn't she make an application to return to the UK?
Old 9th March 2019, 09:59 AM   #408
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

According to a Save The Children spokesperson, the baby died from pneumonia as the refuge camps get very cold at night. People die from hypothermia. The young child just gets exhausted trying to breathe and dies through sheer lack of strength. The shame is, pneumonia is fully treatable with antibiotics and intensive care, had these been available.
Depends on the type of pneumonia.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:00 AM   #409
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So why didn't she leave with them?
Old 9th March 2019, 10:08 AM   #410
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
They went from the UK straight to the refugee camp she was staying in for the express purpose of interviewing her? It's far more likely they were already in the area documenting the "last stand" of the caliphate which isn't even over.
The initial interview came about by chance, the journalist recognised her.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:29 AM   #411
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
She should be allowed back and tried and put in jail. This is a kid that was 15 when she left. I have some compassion for her, but not enough she shouldn't go to jail.

I am surprised the baby died that soon. Maybe these three kids had some kind of birth defect like a genetic heart problem.
Agree with the first paragraph.

I think that malnutrition and disease will do that, in winter.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 02:58 PM   #412
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The death of babies in a refugee camp is tragic but why should this one entitle a person who rejected Britain in favour of ISIS to special treatment? If we are going to rescue people from the refugee camps lets start with those who were the innocent victims of the very group Begum so enthusiastically supported.
Yeah. This.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 03:01 PM   #413
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

According to a Save The Children spokesperson, the baby died from pneumonia as the refuge camps get very cold at night. People die from hypothermia. The young child just gets exhausted trying to breathe and dies through sheer lack of strength. The shame is, pneumonia is fully treatable with antibiotics and intensive care, had these been available.
Without an x-ray and at least a minimal work-up, I wouldn't put too much credence in the diagnosis of pneumonia. It's a catch-all diagnosis. Not that it couldn't be right, I'm just saying there could be other factors when you see three deaths like that.

And pneumonia is not always treatable with antibiotics.

RSV for example, is very common and has a high fatality rate in infants under 3 months. Respiratory Syncytial Virus.
Old 9th March 2019, 04:27 PM   #414
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Can you imagine being a British citizen, doing good work somewhere dangerous, needing a rescue but not sure if you'll get one, because some terrorist comfort volunteer on the other side of the world managed to get noticed by a reporter?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 05:02 PM   #415
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Can you imagine being a British citizen , doing good work somewhere dangerous, needing a rescue but not sure if you'll get one, because some terrorist comfort volunteer on the other side of the world managed to get noticed by a reporter?
Not since Brexit, no.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 05:17 PM   #416
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Not since Brexit, no.
Cry harder, off topic Mcgee.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 05:27 PM   #417
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
The baby was an innocent victim. Primarily of his mother.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:44 AM   #418
DragonLady
Illuminator

I'm sorry she lost her children.

No matter what else she has done or not done, I don't wish that horror on anyone.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 06:51 AM   #419
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I'm sorry she lost her children.

No matter what else she has done or not done, I don't wish that horror on anyone.
I wish it on any member of a terrorist organization, white brown or otherwise. Children are future troops after a point, woke I'm not okay with targeting them, I have no sympathy for terrorist parents.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 07:13 AM   #420
DragonLady
Illuminator

Quote:
Children are future troops after a point
That's true.

I'm not sure exactly where I draw the line between total lack of sympathy because of a person's behavior, and at least being able to empathize with a parent's loss.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 09:47 AM   #421
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
That's true.

I'm not sure exactly where I draw the line between total lack of sympathy because of a person's behavior, and at least being able to empathize with a parent's loss.
I feel bad for the kids, don't get me wrong. And id never say " now up the school to get rid of future troops" but if we are talking sympathy for the parent?

You choose to bring a kid into that situation. You failed as a parent.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events