ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 28th February 2019, 02:29 AM   #361
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by dann View Post
I don't know why you seem to think that I might be doing it for you. It wasn't addressed to you. It was an answer to another poster, Gilbert Syndrome. However, I wasn't unaware of the effect it would have on you.

I am also aware that you have a very different way of getting your "religious euphoria", something that you have been attributing to me throughout this thread, but a lie doesn't get better the more times you tell it. In this case I think that it just becomes more obvious.
I never said you were doing it for me. I said you're doing it for teh feelz.

Messages like this do nothing for me. They're made to work on people like you.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Baylor; 28th February 2019 at 02:38 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 02:30 AM   #362
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Most young Scandinavians are still not racist.
Because they've spent their entire lives around white people.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:15 AM   #363
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,514
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Toothbrush is another.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ry-oral-health
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:18 AM   #364
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Because they've spent their entire lives around white people.

You know nothing about young Scandinavians. What you say, i.e. about spending your entire life around white people, would have been true for my generation, but it's not for young Scandinavians. They know brown and black people, go to school with them, and have brown and black friends.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 28th February 2019 at 03:36 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:19 AM   #365
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
If you think acid attacks are a 'Black' crime, you might be surprised to know that acid attacks were a common form of GBH amongst the lower orders long before mass immigration.
Not specifically a black crime, but a foreign one. You're right, some 100 - 200 years ago acid attacks were known in Britain and were perpetrated by white criminals. Then, society moved on until mass immigration halted that progress and now we're retreating to the dark ages.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:21 AM   #366
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 24,249
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Toothbrush is another.
Showing your ignorance again?

10 Countries Whose Citizens Have Healthy Teeth
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:21 AM   #367
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post


You should have included the title:
British teeth are no worse than US smiles, say researchers
Study squashes myth of terrible dentistry as it finds Americans have more missing teeth and worse oral health if poor


(I've also heard, and at one point believed, the myth!)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:27 AM   #368
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I never said you were doing it for me. I said you're doing it for teh feelz.

OK, so the problem is that you don't remember what you're saying. Let's see: I posted something in an answer to somebody else, and you chose to respond to it even though it didn't really concern you:

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Saying things like, "I can think of a number of white Christians who are bad people but not because of their colour or religion," says nothing about the world, and it does nothing for me.

Quote:
Messages like this do nothing for me. They're made to work on people like you.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Messages like that rile you up, of course, but they are made to work on people who think that people like you might actually have a point, so they are definitely not made to work on people like me. I also don’t think that they are naïve enough to think that slogans like this would work on the real fearmongers: “Let’s build a country where we put hate and fear aside.”
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 03:34 AM   #369
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Showing your ignorance again?

10 Countries Whose Citizens Have Healthy Teeth

I was surprised to read this even though I happen to have excellent teeth.

Quote:
How Were the Countries Ranked?
(...)
1. Denmark
2. Germany
3. Finland
4. Sweden
5. United Kingdom
The U.K. shares an identical DMFT score with Sweden, making it into the top five as well. This score is particularly interested because of the old (now untrue) stereotype of British citizens with bad teeth.
6. Switzerland
7. Canada
8. Mexico
9. United States
You might expect the United States to sit near the top of the list. Its score of 1.2 is excellent compared to those of other nations in the world, but there are other countries that simply achieve better statistics when it comes to oral care.
10. France

You already know how they'll solve the problem of cognitive dissonance that this gives rise to, unfortunately: They will tell themselves (and probably us as well) that the first five countries on the list are all Northern European countries and thus Aryan white!
But Mexico 9 and the USA 10 ...
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 28th February 2019 at 03:43 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 04:59 AM   #370
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by dann View Post
You know nothing about young Scandinavians. What you say, i.e. about spending your entire life around white people, would have been true for my generation, but it's not for young Scandinavians. They know brown and black people, go to school with them, and have brown and black friends.
I knew you were gonna say exactly this. "In high school, I sat next to a Somali kid and we didn't hate each other. Isn't humanity just one giant rainbow!"

You need to understand race relations in the US is far more complex than Scandinavia. It's the current year and you're just now going through the "in a 97% school, a white student is friends with a brown one! How special!" phase

What "racists" are trying to tell you is different social rules apply when other races have the majority. This pathetic "not racist" crap you keep spouting has absolutely zero benefit when non whites are in charge.

I can guarentee you this, if you went to an 85%+ black school, you wouldn't be saying these naive things about race. This is the Internet, search liveleak to see for yourself, Mr. Worldly Skeptic

Last edited by Baylor; 28th February 2019 at 05:13 AM. Reason: italic
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 05:04 AM   #371
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by dann View Post
OK, so the problem is that you don't remember what you're saying. Let's see: I posted something in an answer to somebody else, and you chose to respond to it even though it didn't really concern you:
yawn
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Messages like that rile you up, of course, but they are made to work on people who think that people like you might actually have a point, so they are definitely not made to work on people like me. I also don’t think that they are naïve enough to think that slogans like this would work on the real fearmongers: “Let’s build a country where we put hate and fear aside.”
Incredible gullibility.

Last edited by Baylor; 28th February 2019 at 05:07 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 05:26 AM   #372
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I knew you were gonna say exactly this. "In high school, I sat next to a Somali kid and we didn't hate each other. Isn't humanity just one giant rainbow!"

You don't even notice that that is exactly what I didn't say.

Quote:
You need to understand race relations in the US is far more complex than Scandinavia. It's the current year and you're just now going through the "in a 97% school, a white student was friends with a brown one! How special!" phase

The "how special" case in Denmark was in the '60s and early '70s. Now I have several students with a foreign background in most classes. (Yes, I actually know about this. It's not just something I make up on the spot like your comment.)

Quote:
What "racists" are trying to tell you is different social rules apply when other races have the majority.

Let me help you here: In a sentence like this, it isn't really necessary to use quotation marks around the word racists.

Quote:
This pathetic "anti-racist" crap you keep spouting have absolutely zero benefit when non whites are in charge.

I leave the pathetic crap to those who are much better at it. Pay attention to subject-verb agreement. And you are mistaken again: So far, it has mainly been when (certain) whites were in charge that anti-racism becomes dangerous:
Quote:
Hitler immediately made changes to the school curriculum. Education in "racial awareness" began at school and children were constantly reminded of their racial duties to the "national community". Biology, along with political education, became compulsory. Children learnt about "worthy" and "unworthy" races, about breeding and hereditary disease.
Education in Nazi Germany

You were not the first guy to remind people of their racial duty to procreate.

Quote:
I can guarentee you this, if you went to an 85%+ black school, you wouldn't be saying these naive things about race. This is the Internet, search liveleak to educate yourself, Mr. Worldly Skeptic

If I went to an 85%+ black school, there would be an 85% chance that I was black, and even if I belonged to the other 15%, chances are I wouldn't be racist, so your guarantee is delusional.
Or is this your way of telling us that your racist ideas come from having attended an 85% black school?
Unlike a couple of very conspicuous people in this thread, I educate myself all the time. That's why I would never have made your dentistry mistake, for instance.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 06:09 AM   #373
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Besźel or Ul Qoma - not sure...
Posts: 8,941
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Toothbrush is another.
Is that all you've got?

"Conclusions The oral health of US citizens is not better than the English, and there are consistently wider educational and income oral health inequalities in the US compared with England."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 08:40 AM   #374
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
However, there is one problem with dental health care in the UK:

Quote:
He said the problem is linked with the government’s obsession with immigration. “Overseas doctors are not coming anymore to the UK, the number has reduced sharply because the government has brought in harsh immigration rules for skilled migrants and professional entry tests have been made almost impossible to pass. So many strict exam rules have been introduced not to improve standards but to make sure that the fresh intake is stopped,” Dr Ghauri explained.

He said that those who manage to pass exams were unable to find workplace because of the problems created by the government. “Many of these doctors have left for Middle Eastern countries where pay scale is good and dentists are in demand. Lives are at risk in the UK but the government has no interest in dealing with these problems. Its obsession is with the numbers of immigration. It has failed to invest in both routine and emergency dental care, which is jeopardising appropriate diagnosis and treatment. This has heaped pressure across the NHS.”
UK gripped by dental crisis, says British-Pakistani dentist (Geo TV, May 6, 2018)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #375
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,463
Originally Posted by Information Analyst
Originally Posted by Baylor
So either you don't understand what you're posting, or you're lying. Again.

False Dilemma
. It's totally possible for a racist ******** to both not understand what they are posting and to be lying.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 11:20 PM   #376
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Please include links!

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
So either you don't understand what you're posting, or you're lying. Again.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 11:28 PM   #377
Lambchops
Graduate Poster
 
Lambchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norvegr
Posts: 1,142
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Because they've spent their entire lives around white people.
Hello there. I am a Scandinavian. Please tell me more about my life.

This is all very interesting.
__________________
Cracking eggs and shooting children in the head is the exact same thing.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 11:34 PM   #378
Lambchops
Graduate Poster
 
Lambchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norvegr
Posts: 1,142
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I knew you were gonna say exactly this. "In high school, I sat next to a Somali kid and we didn't hate each other. Isn't humanity just one giant rainbow!"

You need to understand race relations in the US is far more complex than Scandinavia. It's the current year and you're just now going through the "in a 97% school, a white student is friends with a brown one! How special!" phase

What "racists" are trying to tell you is different social rules apply when other races have the majority. This pathetic "not racist" crap you keep spouting has absolutely zero benefit when non whites are in charge.

I can guarentee you this, if you went to an 85%+ black school, you wouldn't be saying these naive things about race. This is the Internet, search liveleak to see for yourself, Mr. Worldly Skeptic
Lol, you live in a place where whites are like 98% of the population, right?

Also; why are you so afraid of becoming a minority? You're not saying that minorities are treated badly, are you?
__________________
Cracking eggs and shooting children in the head is the exact same thing.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 03:36 AM   #379
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Hello there. I am a Scandinavian. Please tell me more about my life.

This is all very interesting.

And you're Anders Behring Breivik's compatriot!
Until a certain point in my life, I had actually spent it 100% among white people. Black people were so rare that if a kid noticed a black person in the street, probably a U.S. marine stationed in Germany and visiting Copenhagen, he would shout it to the rest of us and we would all stand gaping at the exotic sight when he passed.
There was not a single black kid at my school or at my high school when I was still a student, but in the late '60s three Samoan (or maybe Hawaiian) siblings became students at my school. That was very exotic, too!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 05:05 AM   #380
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 85,044
Originally Posted by dann View Post
I was surprised to read this even though I happen to have excellent teeth.




You already know how they'll solve the problem of cognitive dissonance that this gives rise to, unfortunately: They will tell themselves (and probably us as well) that the first five countries on the list are all Northern European countries and thus Aryan white!
But Mexico 9 and the USA 10 ...
The issue is one of cosmetic versus healthy teeth. The picture we tend to get from outside the USA of USA folk is one of people with unnatural teeth, the TV and movie stars and so on. Many of them have cosmetic treatments for their teeth to give them that unnatural solid white colour and a “perfect“ looking smile. Healthy teeth come in a range of colours just like people's complexions or skin tone. We have seen this move to a standardised "cosmetic ideal“ to be an increasing trend in the UK over the last few decades.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 07:14 AM   #381
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 24,249
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The issue is one of cosmetic versus healthy teeth. The picture we tend to get from outside the USA of USA folk is one of people with unnatural teeth, the TV and movie stars and so on. Many of them have cosmetic treatments for their teeth to give them that unnatural solid white colour and a “perfect“ looking smile. Healthy teeth come in a range of colours just like people's complexions or skin tone. We have seen this move to a standardised "cosmetic ideal“ to be an increasing trend in the UK over the last few decades.
Yep. In fact the natural colour is usually some shade of ivory which is why, for me anyway, artificially-whitened teeth look freakish.

"There are 28 naturally occurring shades of teeth, ranging from butter yellow to grey. Most people are born with ivory-coloured teeth – in dentist's jargon, around an "A2". This shade is seven steps away from the apex of whiteness, a B1. Even B1 has shades of yellow, however, because natural teeth are never pure white. Only Americans tend to aspire to the artificial range of 040, 030, 020 and purest white, 010."

Though these days I'd tend to disagree with the final sentence.

linky
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut

Last edited by GlennB; 1st March 2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typos
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 07:45 AM   #382
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
I also knew you were gong to split up your reply to me to make this more tedious.
Originally Posted by dann View Post
And you are mistaken again: So far, it has mainly been when (certain) whites were in charge that anti-racism becomes dangerous:
My argument stands by itself I don't need to hyperlink to irrelevant sites no one is going to click on (I didn't). If you think being "anti-racist" is beneficial when non-whites are in charge then there's nothing I can tell you. All I have to say is you're a naive person who doesn't have much life experience. If you think, to prove this, I need to hyperlink to a Huffington post article, or some bull **** study I just found on Google Scholar, then, I'm sorry, you just don't understand the world very well.

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Pay attention to subject-verb agreement.
Edit was at :13 after. Your post was :26 after. You're spending way too much time on this. Probably should stop with the hyperlinks no one reads.

Last edited by Baylor; 1st March 2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 08:31 AM   #383
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,463
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Please include links!
I'm guessing that this was directed at me. I am one of the many people who can't get the quoted material to appear in the quote box. It's just blank, so I have to go and manually quote it sometimes. Thank you for your concern.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 09:35 AM   #384
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The issue is one of cosmetic versus healthy teeth. The picture we tend to get from outside the USA of USA folk is one of people with unnatural teeth, the TV and movie stars and so on. Many of them have cosmetic treatments for their teeth to give them that unnatural solid white colour and a “perfect“ looking smile. Healthy teeth come in a range of colours just like people's complexions or skin tone. We have seen this move to a standardised "cosmetic ideal“ to be an increasing trend in the UK over the last few decades.

I think you're right. Danes also (still) tend to be more interested in dental health than in dental cosmetics. I've also noticed that Americans tend to wear braces much more than Europeans.
Many Americans also also seem to have fake-looking dentures instead of their own, natural teeth, but it's hard to tell. And I never ask!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 12:10 PM   #385
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,990
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The issue is one of cosmetic versus healthy teeth. The picture we tend to get from outside the USA of USA folk is one of people with unnatural teeth, the TV and movie stars and so on. Many of them have cosmetic treatments for their teeth to give them that unnatural solid white colour and a “perfect“ looking smile. Healthy teeth come in a range of colours just like people's complexions or skin tone. We have seen this move to a standardised "cosmetic ideal“ to be an increasing trend in the UK over the last few decades.

Its the modern way, in almost all things:

It doesn't matter what it does, it only matters what it looks like.


Can I take this opportunity to once again mention Tom Cruise's middle tooth?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 12:55 PM   #386
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Thank god this thread has progressed from the frivolity of a double beheading to the serious business of dental care plans.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 02:56 PM   #387
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 85,044
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Thank god this thread has progressed from the frivolity of a double beheading to the serious business of dental care plans.
Not much really one can post about that beyond it was a terrible crime and hopefully the criminals will be caught and punished is there?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 03:00 PM   #388
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not much really one can post about that beyond it was a terrible crime and hopefully the criminals will be caught and punished is there?
That's not a good reason for a comparison of countries' dentistry practices to be tagged onto the end. It's also not true. The OP introduces the discussion point questioning how far overly positive messages about Islam contribute to atrocities such as this. I attempted to discuss this but it was quickly drowned out in insults and derails, the latest one being teeth whitening in Scandinavia.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 03:11 PM   #389
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,463
When I lived in the UK, my Scottish dentist, upon me opening my mouth at our first exam, said "ah, such nice American teeth!"


I looked for dental advice on ask islam. One, female dentists may not treat male patients unless there is a shortage. And two - keeping your teeth clean is very important.


Quote:
MISWAK, TOOTHBRUSH, CLEANING THE TEETH
The part cut from the branches of a fruitless, fragrant tree called arak, which is very beneficial and which the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) advised seriously and which functions as a toothbrush. A tiny branch of tree used for cleaning the teeth. The plural form of miswak is “masawik”. Siwak is synonymous with miswak and it is mentioned more in hadiths. Its plural form is “aswika.”


The religion of Islam gives great importance to cleanness and deems cleanness as a sign of faith. It is possible to find commands and advices pertaining to keeping the body, the place where prayer will be performed, the workplace or the house, even the shady spots or similar picnic places where people settle down in order to rest clean. Some points about cleanness of the body, which emerge from the human nature and which the previous prophets have performed, are mentioned. Cutting the nails, removing the hairs in the armpits and the groins, shortening the long parts of the moustaches, being circumcised and especially keeping the teeth clean are among them. (For the cleaning pertaining to human nature see Muslim, Tahara, 56; Abu Dawud, Tahara, 29; Tirmidhi, Adab, 14; Nasa’i, Zinat,1; Ibn Majah, Tahara, 8; Ahmad b. Hanbal, IV, 264, VI, 138).
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 04:18 PM   #390
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by baron View Post
I attempted to discuss this but it was quickly drowned out in insults and derails, the latest one being teeth whitening in Scandinavia.

According to the headline the theme was "daft, naïve European girls" who were actually Scandinavian. We have already established that
1) young Scandinavians, in particular Norwegians, have much more reason to fear white supremacists in Norway than Islamic extremists in Morocco;
2) ordinary Muslims in Morocco abhor the Islamic extremist murderers, who appear to have already been caught and placed behind bars;
3) that the main target of the Islamic extremists appears to have been the Moroccan tourist trade;
and 4) that some of the posters in this thread share the wish of the Islamic extremists to harm the Moroccan tourist trade.

I see no reason why we can't move on from the allegedly, but not actually daft, naïve Scandinavian women to teeth whitening in Scandinavia. I see no reason why we should let baron's attempts to derail the discussion with his repetitive message: Islamic extremists = ordinary Muslims stop us.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 1st March 2019 at 04:22 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2019, 06:45 PM   #391
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
No, we haven't established any of that.

What we have established is
1) white people who've spent their entire lives around other white people have a naive understanding of how different races around the world view them.
2) homicide victims are most often murdered by someone from their own country.
3) these young women were killed because of their race and religion, yet bugmen aren't outraged because bugmen have no conviction in their beliefs.
4) No one in this thread cares about Moroccan tourist industry.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:05 AM   #392
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Besźel or Ul Qoma - not sure...
Posts: 8,941
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
No, we haven't established any of that.

What we have established is
1) white people who've spent their entire lives around other white people have a naive understanding of how different races around the world view them.
Heavy irony.
Quote:
2) homicide victims are most often murdered by someone from their own country.
Mostly when in their own country, obviously. Plenty of Brits visiting the US have been killed by Americans.
Quote:
3) these young women were killed because of their race and religion, yet bugmen aren't outraged because bugmen have no conviction in their beliefs.
Who or what are there "bugmen" of which you speak?
Quote:
4) No one in this thread cares about Moroccan tourist industry.
Does it offend you that millions of people - the vast majority of them non-Muslim - visit Morocco every year as tourists? Tourism is a major part of the country's economy, so why should people not care about threats to it?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:14 AM   #393
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
It will come as no surprise to anybody that Baylor insists on his racist interpretation of the invents even if it isn't true, so let me fix it for him:

1) White people who've spent their entire lives around other white people sometimes have a naive understanding of different races because they don't have any personal experience with members of other races. (I myself, for instance, believed that black people were usually cannibals who preferred to eat white people; an obviously silly idea encouraged by my psychopath mother who used it to threaten me that an N-word would come and get me if I didn't do as I was told. In the case of other children, their ideas of black people came primarily from silly racist nursery rhymes, for instance The Elephant's Lullaby sung by the Danish Radio's Girl's Choir:

Quote:
Sov sødt lille jumbo, dit lille pus!
Slet intet, min ven skal du mangle.
I morgen får du en negerdreng,
Og ham skal du bruge som rangle.
Sleep tight little Jumbo, little sweetie
You will lack nothing, nothing at all
Tomorrow you'll get a negro boy
Whom you can use as a rattle


Much less scary than my mother's stories, of course - if you happen to be white, but since the lullaby was sung exclusively to white children, it wouldn't have spoiled the sleep of any black children. In the version sung by the many blondes, a few of apparent oriental descent and one half-black girl, the text has been changed: The baby elephant will now receive a coconut to use as a rattle!
Nowadays, Danish children are fortunate enough to meet, greet and befriend actual black children so they don't risk growing up thinking that they're either cannibals or elephants' toys, an obvious improvement over conditions in the mid 1900s.

2) The weirdest one of Baylor's four claims is the second one, homicide victims are most often murdered by someone from their own country, when seen in the context of his claim that Scandinavians have reason to fear Muslims and therefore shouldn't visit Muslim countries. In general, it's true, of course: Since people spend much more time in their home countries, it makes them much more likely to be killed there by one of their compatriots than abroad by a foreigner. (Notice that I have to save Baylor's claim from his own racist confusion about the issue because it doesn't occur to him that if homicide victims are simply more likely to be killed by compatriots at home, then it would be a very good idea to get as far away from them as possible! But Baylor didn't really think this one through.)
But when you're a homicide victim back home, who actually does kill you? Well, since we are talking terrorist attacks in this thread, let's take a look at the facts: Terrorism in Norway (Wikipedia):
Right-wing/racist: 77 killed, 324 injured.
Islamic: 0 killed, 2 injured.
Terrorist incidents in Denmark (Wikipedia):
Right-wing/racist (suspected): 1 dead (This one is not on the list because the case was never solved.)
Islamic: 3 dead, 31 injured.
The conclusion seems to be that if you are afraid that you may become a victim of terror, the racists are the guys you should fear. Islamic terror in Norway and Denmark is nothing to worry about in comparison to all the other ways of dying untimely.

3) We have already established that the two Scandinavian women, in spite of allegedly being daft and naïve, were killed because they were tourists, not because of their race or religion so there's no reason to go delve further into the attempted racist explanation. Their killers were Islamic terrorists who wanted to ruin Morocco's tourist trade. As for Baylor's silly "bugman" rant, it's quite peculiar that he laments that bugmen have no conviction in their beliefs. It makes it obvious that the religious fervor should be attributed to Baylor and not to the people that he tries to attribute religious fervor to.

4) It's obvious that Baylor doesn't care about the Moroccan tourist industry. Like the Islamic extremists he would like to see it destroyed since it's a major source of income for the Muslim country Morocco, which is doing what it can to fight Islamic terrorism and prosecute the killers of the "daft, naïve European girls."
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:29 AM   #394
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by dann View Post
According to the headline the theme was "daft, naïve European girls" who were actually Scandinavian. We have already established that
1) young Scandinavians, in particular Norwegians, have much more reason to fear white supremacists in Norway than Islamic extremists in Morocco;
2) ordinary Muslims in Morocco abhor the Islamic extremist murderers, who appear to have already been caught and placed behind bars;
3) that the main target of the Islamic extremists appears to have been the Moroccan tourist trade;
and 4) that some of the posters in this thread share the wish of the Islamic extremists to harm the Moroccan tourist trade.
1) False equivalence. So what? They have more to fear from Veinamese pimps - if they hung out in the red light areas of Vietnam. If if if... If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle.

2) That's possible. But you know this site, we need evidence. There are 35 million Muslims in Morocco. Show your evidence that all of them abhor extremist Islamists. That's right, you can't, but don't worry, I can and will prove my claims.

3) More apologism. Repeat after me: These Killings Had Nothing To Do With Islam. It was just a tourism dispute. Yay Muslim terrorism!

4) I see. Well, we can't have that, can we.

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I see no reason why we can't move on from the allegedly, but not actually daft, naïve Scandinavian women to teeth whitening in Scandinavia.
Because it's a derail and derails are specifically against the forum rules. Or at least they are when it suits.

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I see no reason why we should let baron's attempts to derail the discussion with his repetitive message: Islamic extremists = ordinary Muslims stop us.
My discussion point, as I've repeated three times, is "how far overly positive messages about Islam contribute to atrocities such as this." However, those who apologise for terrorism aren't willing to discuss this, hence teeth whitening.

I don't and have literally never stated that all Muslims are extremists, so that's another of your lies. I have many times stated the opposite. However, your statements (see above) such as ALL Muslims in Morocco aside from two murderers condemn extremism takes naivety, and apologism, to new levels.

So let's have a look at facts as opposed to lies.



So we can see that support for terrorism in Morocco runs at over six million Muslims.

Almost five million Moroccan Muslims believe that suicide bombings and violence against civilians is 'sometimes or often' justified, the remaining 1.5m believe that is is 'rarely' justified.

So let's compare.

You guess that there is not a single Muslim in Morocco who supports terrorism.

The facts as presented by Pew research show there are over six million. And Morocco is one of the more tolerant Islamic countries in that respect.

Now, I wonder which figure most accurately reflects the truth. Er... er... Teeth whitening!
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 08:52 AM   #395
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,463
Your facts are from a 2004-2005 Pew survey, which included questions on support for suicide bombings in Iraq, where the war was still hot and heavy. And even then, according to the numbers that you posted, support was declining. Where does it stand today, 13-15 years later?

ETA - I found one a little more recent - http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/t...idely-rejected

9% of Muslims in Morocco felt that terrorism against civilians was "often or sometimes" justified in 2013. From 13% to 9% in 10 years.

Last edited by carlitos; 2nd March 2019 at 09:00 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 09:41 AM   #396
baron
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,627
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Your facts are from a 2004-2005 Pew survey, which included questions on support for suicide bombings in Iraq, where the war was still hot and heavy. And even then, according to the numbers that you posted, support was declining. Where does it stand today, 13-15 years later?

ETA - I found one a little more recent - http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/t...idely-rejected

9% of Muslims in Morocco felt that terrorism against civilians was "often or sometimes" justified in 2013. From 13% to 9% in 10 years.
Fine, let's take the 9% figure. That's 3.3 million Moroccan Muslims who believe terrorism against civilians is sometimes or often justified. That hardly weakens my argument.

I see you're trying to water it down by saying it's decreased from 13% to 9% in ten years. Sure, if you want to play it that way, I'll counter that the historic figures show that over half of Moroccan Muslims supported terrorist acts against civilians in times of war (not war in Morocco, note, but war involving Muslims elsewhere on the globe). So yes, the figures fluctuate a lot, but the historic minimums are still greatly disturbing and the potential maximums are insane. And, of course, the point of my cite is unchanged; 3.3 million > 0.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:44 AM   #397
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by dann View Post
We have already established that the two Scandinavian women, in spite of allegedly being daft and naïve, were killed because they were tourists, not because of their race or religion so there's no reason to go delve further into the attempted racist explanation. Their killers were Islamic terrorists who wanted to ruin Morocco's tourist trade.
Only in the minds of the gullible.

The killers explicitly stated they were fighting "the enemies of Allah," but you think Muslim men care so deeply about Moroccan tourism they behead two white girls and send the video of the beheadings to the victims' families.

And the November 2015 Paris massacre was just a protest against heavy metal.

I can't believe what I read on this board sometimes.
Originally Posted by dann View Post
It's obvious that Baylor doesn't care about the Moroccan tourist industry.
At least you got one thing right.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:46 AM   #398
dann
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,753
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Your facts are from a 2004-2005 Pew survey, which included questions on support for suicide bombings in Iraq, where the war was still hot and heavy. And even then, according to the numbers that you posted, support was declining. Where does it stand today, 13-15 years later?

ETA - I found one a little more recent - http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/t...idely-rejected

9% of Muslims in Morocco felt that terrorism against civilians was "often or sometimes" justified in 2013. From 13% to 9% in 10 years.

I was looking specifically for the one about beheading daft, naïve European girls but couldn't find it.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:46 AM   #399
Baylor
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 7,271
For those who might've gotten lost in the mess of this thread, get a load of this gem:
Originally Posted by dann View Post
If I went to an 85%+ black school, there would be an 85% chance that I was black
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2019, 10:48 AM   #400
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,463
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Fine, let's take the 9% figure. That's 3.3 million Moroccan Muslims who believe terrorism against civilians is sometimes or often justified. That hardly weakens my argument.

I see you're trying to water it down by saying it's decreased from 13% to 9% in ten years. Sure, if you want to play it that way, I'll counter that the historic figures show that over half of Moroccan Muslims supported terrorist acts against civilians in times of war (not war in Morocco, note, but war involving Muslims elsewhere on the globe). So yes, the figures fluctuate a lot, but the historic minimums are still greatly disturbing and the potential maximums are insane. And, of course, the point of my cite is unchanged; 3.3 million > 0.
You're welcome.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.