ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents

Old 23rd February 2019, 07:54 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Violent Lunatic Florida Mayor Arrested

Police should be allowed to arrest people simply for their eyes. Hey Chet, do you see that guy's eyes? Yep, let's get him.

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A Florida mayor has been arrested after he allegedly fired shots at police officers trying to serve a search warrant at his home.

Port Richey Mayor Dale Massad, 68, was accused of practicing medicine without a license and when deputies arrived on his doorstep to conduct a search, he allegedly shot at two of the officers.

Massad was arrested on Thursday and charged with two counts of attempted murder after he allegedly fired the shots, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office said.

He additionally faces charges of practicing medicine without a license...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ida-mayor.html

Last edited by William Parcher; 23rd February 2019 at 09:38 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:19 AM   #2
wasapi
Philosopher

Florida. What is it about Florida?
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:32 AM   #3
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It's something in the orange juice.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Thermal
Philosopher

So cuckoo for coco puffs Mayor shot at a SWAT team, and they took him down without returning fire? I'm pretty sure there's a lesson to be learned in that one.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It's possible the hyper magnetic bizarrosphear* that makes up the Bermuda Triangle has tangentially shifted westward without anyone that pays attention to that sort of thing even noticing.

* Okay, spellcheck is recognizing "Bizarrosphear" as a word??? What the heck is a bizarrosphear?
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:16 AM   #6
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It's possible the hyper magnetic bizarrosphear* that makes up the Bermuda Triangle has tangentially shifted westward without anyone that pays attention to that sort of thing even noticing.

* Okay, spellcheck is recognizing "Bizarrosphear" as a word??? What the heck is a bizarrosphear?
Floridian for 'home'
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:19 AM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Intelligence and common sense are necessary to survive winter in more northern places. That isn't true for Florida and so it is a place for the deficient to go and breed.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Intelligence and common sense are necessary to survive winter in more northern places. That isn't true for Florida and so it is a place for the deficient to go and breed.
I am told that incidence of STDs among the elderly is the highest in the country in central Florida. While not actively breeding, that might account for the look on the Mayors face
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:34 AM   #9
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

He can treat his own STD.
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:04 AM   #10
Thermal
Philosopher

So the OP article says the police were hip to Mr Mayor Massad being armed and with a history of violence, that was serious enough to justify sending in SWAT to serve this non violent warrant upon. I wonder if his constituents were aware that he was a loose cannon? Not that that mug would be a tip or anything
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

He lives in a VERY swanky home in an area renown for its drug addicts...the same people voted him mayor of this area...he's a former doctor...he has been "treating patients without a license" since 1992...he's got a history of law-breaking and violence...he resisted arrest when the SWAT team turned up...

Dang it, I KNOW there's a link for all of this but I just can't put my finger on it...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:25 AM   #12
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Hahaha, I love it.

Google turns up no results, though, so spellcheck must be drunk.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
So cuckoo for coco puffs Mayor shot at a SWAT team, and they took him down without returning fire? I'm pretty sure there's a lesson to be learned in that one.
Presently this is a "Current Events" topic. Let's see if we can make it into a "Social Issue" (those get far more play, as we all know).

I just came from my morning constitutional. Stopped off at Sparky and Dub's (not the real name but the good old boy Merkins who hang out there would fit in at a Sparky and Dub's Dew Drop Inn in Bogalusa).

Ed from Alabama opined.... "This just shows you that the police are professionals and when they have the proper intelligence going into a situation, they don't goy in guns a-blazing. That's librul media lies!"

After I left there, I stopped off to get my wheat-germ infused thirteen grain bread baked in biodegradable pans at Kafe Karma, and Sally Sunshine was working a petition to investigate this because "if that had been a black man reaching for his ID or mobile phone, those pigs would've offed him".

(Neither place exists. I'm just cutting to the chase.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 01:54 AM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Bizarrosphear

My spellcheck underlines it in red. Maybe someone has a defective spellcheck or it's turned off.
Old 24th February 2019, 04:13 AM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure if that's a serious question but I always thought it was "Bizzarosphere", as in "The world where Bizarro, Superman's imperfect duplicate, lives". Although technically it should be "Bizzarocube".
Old 24th February 2019, 05:30 AM   #16
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I can't find a good link to it, but I've been told part of it has to do with the state's standards for transparency. Apparently, there's some greater requirement to make information about crimes publicly available there.

Not to say there isn't also a greater incidence of weird crime there, but there may also be an effect that we don't hear about every incident elsewhere.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 09:09 AM   #17
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Bizarrosphear

My spellcheck underlines it in red. Maybe someone has a defective spellcheck or it's turned off.
My spellcheck is turned on, otherwise I'd look like a bigger idiot than I usually do*. Generally, when I misspelled something (Pretty regular occurrence) there's the familiar red squiggly line under the offending word, left click and alternate options are displayed, but for some reason Bizzarosphear does generate that result, still.

* I misspelled a good half dozen words while writing this post, all were underlined and corrected for me, except Bizzarosphear.

Last edited by Mike!; 24th February 2019 at 09:13 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 10:39 AM   #18
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Perhaps you added it to your local dictionary accidentally? That option is usually right near where you're going to be clicking to select a suggested proper spelling.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 11:48 AM   #19
wasapi
Philosopher

Practicing with a suspended license begs the question, how did he lose medical privileges?
Old 24th February 2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Presently this is a "Current Events" topic. Let's see if we can make it into a "Social Issue" (those get far more play, as we all know).

I just came from my morning constitutional. Stopped off at Sparky and Dub's (not the real name but the good old boy Merkins who hang out there would fit in at a Sparky and Dub's Dew Drop Inn in Bogalusa).

Ed from Alabama opined.... "This just shows you that the police are professionals and when they have the proper intelligence going into a situation, they don't goy in guns a-blazing. That's librul media lies!"

After I left there, I stopped off to get my wheat-germ infused thirteen grain bread baked in biodegradable pans at Kafe Karma, and Sally Sunshine was working a petition to investigate this because "if that had been a black man reaching for his ID or mobile phone, those pigs would've offed him".

(Neither place exists. I'm just cutting to the chase.)
Actually, I thought it might mean the SWAT tactics should receive wider use, as they seemed to have been effective. A lot of bloodshed could be spared across the board.

But you do you.
Old 24th February 2019, 06:15 PM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Actually, I thought it might mean the SWAT tactics should receive wider use, as they seemed to have been effective. A lot of bloodshed could be spared across the board.

But you do you.
By that I assume you mean showing the hyperbolic reactions that most people take to these stories? 'Cuz I didn't take a position, merely offered an observation.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2019, 07:00 PM   #22
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
By that I assume you mean showing the hyperbolic reactions that most people take to these stories? 'Cuz I didn't take a position, merely offered an observation.
Ok, great. Sounded a little like you were drawing unhealthy battle lines.

Whether the suspect is Mayor McMethadone, a gangbanger, or a guy watching football at home, it sure would be swellzies if the police weren't killing the citizenry. I'd like to know how SWAT handled this situation and have it implemented as nation-wide as feasible
Old 25th February 2019, 07:58 AM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I am told that incidence of STDs among the elderly is the highest in the country in central Florida. While not actively breeding, that might account for the look on the Mayors face
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ex-toyboy.html

Yes, between the swingers in the retirement homes and adults only live in nudist parks, seniors can be rather um... active.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 08:08 AM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Practicing with a suspended license begs the question, how did he lose medical privileges?
He lost his license after a three year old patient died in his care. I couldn't find anything that said what specifically he did to cause the death or not do to prevent it. He must have been extremely negligent if he lost his license completely over it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 08:14 AM   #25
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

My reading of the article is that he was shooting at them at a fair distance as they approached his house, so retreating and surrounding was probably the only practical choice. If they were in close proximity and he opened fire, no doubt he would have been gunned down.

With some armed nut dug in a like a tick in his house, negotiation for a peaceful surrender is almost always going to be the first choice.
Old 25th February 2019, 08:16 AM   #26
Drewbot
Philosopher

Here is a photo of the guy, and a video of the police press conference.

It is unclear if he actually shot at the officers. The speaker says he fired two shots.

He doesn't say he shot 'at the officers' watch the press conference, he is very vague on the description.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9NDWl_1550947866
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 08:26 AM   #27
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post

It is unclear if he actually shot at the officers. The speaker says he fired two shots.

He doesn't say he shot 'at the officers' watch the press conference, he is very vague on the description.

I'm sure he just fired shots to flag them down, right?
Old 25th February 2019, 08:26 AM   #28
Thermal
Philosopher

He says at least three times I count that 'he shot at us'
Old 25th February 2019, 08:35 AM   #29
Drewbot
Philosopher

OK,
There is one point 2:10, where he specifically says 'the suspect fired two rounds'

He then says 'he fired those rounds...' and then cuts over to how proud he is of the deputies.

He makes a general statement about how 'if someone is firing at us they have every right to open fire... they did what was appropriate at the time.'

I think if he actually shot at them, they would have taken him out.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 08:46 AM   #30
Thermal
Philosopher

Off the top of my head, check 3:50

and 5:28

Last edited by Thermal; 25th February 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 08:55 AM   #31
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

OK,

That assumes that have a clear shot. If nutbag is firing out a window and moving around, they might not know where he is. SWAT guys out in the yard are going to be disadvantaged compared to some guy taking cover and moving throughout the home.

It is perfectly plausible that they got shot at and retreated without returning fire.
Old 25th February 2019, 02:24 PM   #32
autumn1971
Master Poster

“The Villages” is a little retirement community south of Ocala. It has nothing except old pervs and a ton of 40+ year-old prostitutes.

I’m angry that I’ll never be able to afford to retire there.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 08:07 PM   #33
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
“The Villages” is a little retirement community south of Ocala. It has nothing except old pervs and a ton of 40+ year-old prostitutes.
Yeeeeaaahh...um....my mom and stepdad have retired there....the have one of those little street legal golf carts and all....yeah...um....

Quote:
I’m angry that I’ll never be able to afford to retire there.
Well, if you're over 40 and willing to work part-time...
Old 27th February 2019, 07:57 PM   #34
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I think if a person they're closing in to capture starts firing a weapon in close proximity to them police would tend to react the same way regardless of which precise direction the weapon is aimed, assuming they're even able to determine that by sight.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:30 AM   #35
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The guy appointed to replace him has now been arrested.

https://www.tampabay.com/breaking-ne...sted-20190313/
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:41 AM   #36
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Man, it MUST be something in the water there. Alligator piss?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 12:04 PM   #37
Donal
Illuminator

A story about Florida in the Daily Mail

Last edited by Donal; 14th March 2019 at 12:05 PM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 11:06 PM   #38
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

That's genuinely impressive.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events