ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gay issues

Old 7th March 2019, 05:50 AM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Malaysia Has No Gay People, Tourism Minister Claims

Quote:
Malaysia’s tourism minister has sparked outrage while in Germany for an international travel fair, after claiming there are no gay people in his country.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world...ims/ar-BBUtgDb

I seem to remember Iran making similar claims a few years ago.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 06:01 AM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He would like there to be no gay people in his country. Alas, like everywhere, about 5-10% of the population will disappoint him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 06:17 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He's doing a terrible job as Tourism Minister.
Old 7th March 2019, 06:40 AM   #4
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to be a thing with authoritarian types.... No gays, no HIV, etc. China denied there was an HIV epidemic for years until the problem became too big to ignore.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:08 PM   #5
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
And Ramzan Kadyrov of Chechnya.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:08 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's true. The people of Malaysia are all quite dour. Especially the homosexuals, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by theprestige; 7th March 2019 at 04:36 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:26 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He's doing a terrible job as Tourism Minister.
Someone should tell him the job of a Tourism Minister it to encourage Tourism, not drive people away with stupid ,bigoted, comments.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:35 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Someone should tell him the job of a Tourism Minister it to encourage Tourism, not drive people away with stupid ,bigoted, comments.
Maybe he thinks homophobes are a much bigger market, and this comment was directed at them.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:00 PM   #9
Ranb
Philosopher

The US Navy used to claim there were no gays in the USN because they discharged them all.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 08:17 PM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
The US Navy used to claim there were no gays in the USN because they discharged them all.
They got the seamen out.
Old 8th March 2019, 12:16 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would rather he be honest. If a country has a problem with homosexuals etc. tourists need to know so they can visit safely. I'd much rather not travel to a country then risk prison etc. I can see this being an even more serious issue for younger generations brought up in societies in which they no longer have to be as "discreet" to the extent my generation had to be. Want to travel to a country with a partner and be arrested for a public display of affection such as a peck on the cheek?
Old 8th March 2019, 12:33 AM   #12
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The answer is that it is not safe, or at least not safe to be open about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Malaysia

I would just avoid the country myself and spend my money in a country that is more welcoming.

Ultimately, this is not a problem that can be solved by the Tourism Minister.
Old 8th March 2019, 01:16 AM   #13
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

"Malaysia Has No Gay People, Tourism Minister Claims"... so, is he saying a few more should come over to fix that deficit?
Old 8th March 2019, 02:38 AM   #14
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
"Malaysia Has No Gay People, Tourism Minister Claims"... so, is he saying a few more should come over to fix that deficit?
Malaysia's latest tourism slogan:

"Come out to Malaysia!"

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 03:22 AM   #15
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world...ims/ar-BBUtgDb

i have been to Malaysia and seen gay people.
Old 8th March 2019, 06:13 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
You should let the tourism minister know.
Old 8th March 2019, 07:00 PM   #17
Arcade22
Philosopher

Then he should explain why the second most politically prominent individual in Malaysia was convicted of sodomy twice:

Quote:
On 2 September 1998, Anwar was fired from the Cabinet reports that he was under investigation for homosexual acts (which are illegal in Malaysia). The following day, he was expelled from UMNO. In what the Sydney Morning Herald termed a "blatantly political fix-up",[15] Anwar was arrested on 20 September 1998 and detained without trial under the country's controversial Internal Security Act (ISA). The Home Minister at the time was also the Prime Minister, Mahathir. Weeks later, Anwar was charged with corruption for allegedly interfering with the police investigation of him. While he was in police custody in 1998, Anwar was beaten by the then Inspector General of Police, Rahim Noor. The public and the media only witnessed his black eye after he was brought to Court for the first time, and Mahathir remarked that it could have been a self-inflicted injury to garner public sympathy. Rahim was subsequently found guilty of assault and jailed for two months in 2000. He made a public apology to Anwar and paid undisclosed damages.

The High Court eventually handed down its decision in April 1999, sentencing Anwar to six years' imprisonment for corruption. Two months later, he was sentenced to nine years' imprisonment for sodomy, which he was ordered to serve after he completed his six-year sentence for corruption.[20] His trial and conviction were widely discredited by the international community. Amnesty International stated that the trial proceedings "exposed a pattern of political manipulation of key state institutions including the police, public prosecutor’s office and the judiciary" and declared Anwar a prisoner of conscience, stating that he had been arrested in order to silence him as a political opponent.[21]

His conviction was overturned by the Malaysian Supreme Court and Anwar was finally released from solitary confinement on 2 September 2004.[22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_Ibrahim

He couldn't offer any reasonable defense against these accusations, even-though the prosecution was obviously politically motivated in an attempt to destroy his political career. Not gay though, apparently.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 09:11 PM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Can I suggest that the remarks were aimed at a domestic audience? This audience do not like homosexuals and if they are told they do not exist then they will be happy.
Old 9th March 2019, 06:41 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Can I suggest that the remarks were aimed at a domestic audience? This audience do not like homosexuals and if they are told they do not exist then they will be happy.
He's the minister of tourism, speaking at an international tourism conference on the other side of the world. If he was speaking to Maylays back home, he really doesn't understand his job.
Old 9th March 2019, 03:04 PM   #20
Hungry81
Master Poster

Wrong lyrics

Last edited by Hungry81; 9th March 2019 at 03:05 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 06:52 AM   #21
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Judging by his haircut, I believe him.
Old 13th March 2019, 07:41 AM   #22
Zambo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
What is your basis for saying this, did they "look gay". Or you are suggesting something more hands on? But I do wonder if you have been to Malaysia.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2019, 08:05 AM   #23
Faydra
sinning sybarite

My co-worker is from Malaysia, and she's gay.

But, she's also here in the US, so maybe the ONE gay person they had, left.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events