ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 14th March 2019, 09:31 PM   #81
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Four in custody? My God, if those other three were as deadly as this video guy then you have well over a hundred dead.
They may not all be shooters. Could be accomplices. I hope.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:33 PM   #82
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
They may not all be shooters. Could be accomplices. I hope.
Video guy has no accomplices at the mosque. You ride with him the whole time and the camera is on his helmet. You see what he sees and you hear everything. He was a lone attacker and killed everyone there himself.

There is no indication given by him that he is part of any group or team or has helpers or anything like that.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:34 PM   #83
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Do you know what was illegal about him having the weapons?
To have an AR type rifle you need a special endorsement on your NZ Gun Licence. I don't see him getting a NZ Gun Licence in the first place, getting the special endorsement would be highly unlikely.

Quote:
Other sites are reporting that there may have been some return fire by citizens?
Possible, but unlikely since NZ citizens aren't allowed to carry concealed guns or pistols, so unless they had a hunting rifle in the car... The only ones that would likely be carrying and firing back would be our police, who would have a firearm in their vehicle, and of course the Armed Offenders who would have been on the scene pretty quick.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:37 PM   #84
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Do you know what was illegal about him having the weapons?
People were reporting automatic weapon fire. Automatic weapons are illegal here

Other sites are reporting that there may have been some return fire by citizens?
That is very, very unlikely.

Citizens in NZ are not allowed to legally carry firearms in public, and handguns are very hard to get and own.

The New Zealand Police operate a firearms licensing system, but only certain classes of weapons are registered, namely handguns, military style semiautomatics, and restricted weapons. In order to possess these types of weapons license holders must also obtain license endorsements, which are only granted in limited circumstances. Permits to procure such weapons must also be obtained.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:38 PM   #85
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

At no time in this video does anyone shoot at this guy. But maybe he drove to another mosque and shot some more and then somebody shot at him.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:43 PM   #86
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Video guy had semi-auto assault-style rifles and also various shotguns. I saw no handguns. He continually reloaded with high capacity banana magazines.

He had a station wagon. Guns on the passenger seat and guns back in the cargo area. Everything loaded and ready and spare magazines all over the place. Cans of gasoline.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:43 PM   #87
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

At no time in this video does anyone shoot at this guy. But maybe he drove to another mosque and shot some more and then somebody shot at him.
I would seriously doubt that anyone would have a gun apart from the dudes and dudette
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:43 PM   #88
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
People were reporting automatic weapon fire. Automatic weapons are illegal here

That is very, very unlikely.

Citizens in NZ are not allowed to legally carry firearms in public, and handguns are very hard to get and own.

The New Zealand Police operate a firearms licensing system, but only certain classes of weapons are registered, namely handguns, military style semiautomatics, and restricted weapons. In order to possess these types of weapons license holders must also obtain license endorsements, which are only granted in limited circumstances. Permits to procure such weapons must also be obtained.
By automatic do you mean semi-automatic? The terms are often used interchangeably, unfortunately.

I already assumed machine guns were illegal there.

The return fire was supposedly from long guns, but I agree it's probably just the typical bad reporting you get in these situations.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:44 PM   #89
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apparently a member of the public managed to get the gun off the Linwood mosque one and shot at him as he drove off
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:45 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't understand something about his assault rifle. It had a flashing white light on the front. Like a bright strobe light. It was strobing even when he wasn't shooting. What is that?
Old 14th March 2019, 09:46 PM   #91
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand something about his assault rifle. It had a flashing white light on the front. Like a bright strobe light. It was strobing even when he wasn't shooting. What is that?
It blinds anyone opposing him, but helps him see.

Old 14th March 2019, 09:47 PM   #92
Baylor
Philosopher

The "kebab remover" seems to be a reference to a Murdoch Murdoch episode -- Sargon the Afraid.

"Is that the laser weapon we've been funding for Israel?"

"The Palestinian Remover 9000. The only thing I like about Jews is how good they are at removing kebabs."

https://youtu.be/V2-W9za0fF8?t=440

Last edited by Baylor; 14th March 2019 at 09:49 PM. Reason: fixed link
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:47 PM   #93
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God,,New Zealand....just about the last country I thought this would happen in.
The country must be in a state of shock;I do get the feeling that a great many Kiwis seem to think they are pretty insulated from a lot of the crap that goes on in the world. Not the case.
This is just about the first time a anti Muslim attack like this was so well organized. Most of the time it's "The Lone Wolf" type.
I wonder what some of our resident Islamophobes will have to say about this. One of them is already here,complete with Crodidile tears about this tragedy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:47 PM   #94
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Uh, why does this matter?
Old 14th March 2019, 09:48 PM   #95
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The "kebab remover" seems to be a reference to a Murdoch Murdoch episode -- Sargon the Afraid.

"Is that the laser weapon we've been funding for Israel?"

"The Palestinian Remover 9000. The only thing I like about Jews is how good they are at removing kebabs."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Real classy guy.

Maybe some people here should think about where this kind of bigotry..even the "non violent" kind..inevitably leads to.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th March 2019 at 09:49 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:49 PM   #96
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Lockdown of some schools are coming off.

Including Linwood at the school they arrested one of them

Old 14th March 2019, 09:49 PM   #97
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Uh, why does this matter?
I only asked the question so that you could come along and ask why the question matters.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:51 PM   #98
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Sorry

Papanui

Old 14th March 2019, 09:52 PM   #99
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Apparently a member of the public managed to get the gun off the Linwood mosque one and shot at him as he drove off
Good to hear, if true.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:52 PM   #100
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The country must be in a state of shock;I do get the feeling that a great many Kiwis seem to think they are pretty insulated from a lot of the crap that goes on in the world. Not the case.
This is just about the first time a anti Muslim attack like this was so well organized. Most of the time it's "The Lone Wolf" type.
I wonder what some of our resident Islamophobes will have to say about this. One of them is already here,complete with Crodidile tears about this tragedy.
If there really are multiple shooters, then it does seem like we are seeing a new level of right-wing terrorism.

The scary thing is, if that is the case, this should not come as a surprise to any of us.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:53 PM   #101
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I only asked the question so that you could come along and ask why the question matters.
Glad to be of service.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:54 PM   #102
Baylor
Philosopher

It's called Kryptonite

https://youtu.be/-SbnqIIkXQc?t=118
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:55 PM   #103
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

On Prime News they were talking to a Iman who was sating that reports are that there could be up to 100 dead according to one of those inside the first mosque.

The are also reporting that they have recovered an AR-15 and a SKS (both would need endorsements) also an extended magazine that would have been resisted.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:57 PM   #104
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And this, of course, will fire up some of the extremists
Isis wannabes on the other side.
That is what is bad:extremists feed off of each other.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:57 PM   #105
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Also reporting multiple IEDs found

Old 14th March 2019, 09:57 PM   #106
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
If there really are multiple shooters, then it does seem like we are seeing a new level of right-wing terrorism.

The scary thing is, if that is the case, this should not come as a surprise to any of us.
I wonder how many people around him ignored the clues? Or maybe even flat out didn't report illegal activities?

Old 14th March 2019, 09:57 PM   #107
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

School lockdown has been lifted, but residents are still being urged to stay inside.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 09:59 PM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how many people around him ignored the clues? Or maybe even flat out didn't report illegal activities?
"But he was so quiet and polite".....

Too soon to tell, but sometimes there are no clues. Madmen don't always behave the way they do on TV.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th March 2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 09:59 PM   #109
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

They are reporting that he is a white supremacist and has been planning this attack for 2 years! Someone had to know.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:01 PM   #110
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
They are reporting that he is a white supremacist and has been planning this attack for 2 years! Someone had to know.
Shouldn't being a white supremacist already be a hate crime, though?

It is by definition discriminatory and hateful.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:02 PM   #111
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

"But he was so quiet and polite".....

Too soon to tell, but sometimes there are no clues. Madmen don't always behave the way they do on TV.
His web presence seems to be a giant clue that he should be locked up, or at least closely watched.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:03 PM   #112
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Shouldn't being a white supremacist already be a hate crime, though?

It is by definition discriminatory and hateful.
No more that most other countries.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:05 PM   #113
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

1 News is reporting that the defense forces have been called in and have made safe a number of IEDs found under cars about the area.

Prime Minister has said we need to be prepared for a unprecedented number of deaths.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 14th March 2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:05 PM   #114
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Four in custody? My God, if those other three were as deadly as this video guy then you have well over a hundred dead.
I'm not at all sure there were other shooters - the scant evidence so far is only showing one shooter. Still a very confused situation.

Me too. He is an Aussie, though.

It'll make a change for us to deport one back there when he finishes his sentence. I'm guessing he'll become an honorary member of Head Hunters in jail.

Also reporting multiple IEDs found
"Multiple IEDs" at this stage appears to be "cans of petrol".

I see nothing sophisticated about the attack yet, aside from getting his hands on guns he shouldn't have.

He was posting at 4Chan just before he left home, apparently.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:07 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The NZ Army Combat Engineers are having a busy day......inmost countries, the CE's are the ones who handle IEDs/

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:08 PM   #116
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Good question.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:08 PM   #117
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

No more that most other countries.
Well, if you have hate crime laws already, it seems like that should include white supremacy.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:08 PM   #118
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Regional Flights out of Christchurch have been cancelled. Oh and the Cricket Test scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled too, the Bangladesh Team is heading home.

Old 14th March 2019, 10:11 PM   #119
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I would seriously doubt that anyone would have a gun apart from the dudes and dudette
Fox News is reporting that someone did return fire.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/multiple-...ealand-mosques
Quote:
Mark Nichols told the New Zealand Herald he heard about five gunshots and that a Friday prayer-goer returned fire with a rifle or shotgun.
Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 10:13 PM   #120
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Al Noor is the mosque shown in the video.

My guess is that he then drove to another mosque and did more killing.

No need for any accomplices. He was a one man killing machine.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events