IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags civil war , history books , January 6 , Oath Keepers

Old 21st June 2022, 06:13 AM   #1
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

America's second Civil War,

January 6th is now History so how do you think it will be written about in the History books, it's the closets we have come to Civil War since 1865?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:31 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I think that will depend entirely on what comes next.

If Jan 6th and the result from the Commission investigation and the many sentences for insurrectionists is that no one like Trump ever gets into the White House again, and the GOP eats itself for a while, then Jan 6th will go down in history as another example on how strong US democracy is (which would be the wrong lesson).

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:59 AM   #3
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

If a new civil war does break out, then Jan 6 will be its "Bleeding Kansas". Violent acts by non-governmental forces that didn't immediately cause the war, but certainly set the tone for the escalations that followed.
Old 21st June 2022, 08:01 AM   #4
theprestige
Suspended

I think the closest we've come to civil war since 1865 was probably in 1957, when the President deployed the 101st Airborne division to Arkansas to enforce school desegregation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 08:02 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think the closest we've come to civil war since 1865 was probably in 1957, when the President deployed the 101st Airborne division to Arkansas to enforce school desegregation.
That's nonsense

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 08:05 AM   #6
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That's nonsense
It's federal troops deployed domestically to contest local or state policy by threat of force. That's pretty civil-warlike in my book. Much more so than a protest in the capital. There was more death and destruction arising from the wave of BLM protests the year before. Which, honestly, the wave of BLM protests were probably closer to civil war than the Jan 6th thing. Just in terms of the scope of the violence and the amount of people involved.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 08:13 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's federal troops deployed domestically to contest local or state policy by threat of force. That's pretty civil-warlike in my book. Much more so than a protest in the capital. There was more death and destruction arising from the wave of BLM protests the year before. Which, honestly, the wave of BLM protests were probably closer to civil war than the Jan 6th thing. Just in terms of the scope of the violence and the amount of people involved.
you are wrong, from a pure historical POV.

the deployment of troops to enforce Federal Law surely created a lot of but-hurt, but it was strengthening the Union, not splitting it.

What Jan 6 was was an violent attempt to destroy the democratic principle of the US - and it caused about as many injured cops in one afternoon as all BLM protests combined, and more dead cops afterwards.

Right-wingers are perfectly fine with Federal Troops doing whatever they want without warrants, as evidenced by their support for ICE, border patrols and DHS.

- Emo Philips
Old 21st June 2022, 11:17 AM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't we have a small area of Seattle secede from the union a couple years back?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 11:23 AM   #9
ahhell
Illuminator

Its worth noting that there were political bombings in the US on the order of once a week through most of the 70s. Sure, this may be the start of something bigger but political violence has been a much more significant problem in the the relatively recent past.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 11:54 AM   #10
theprestige
Suspended

you are wrong, from a pure historical POV.

the deployment of troops to enforce Federal Law surely created a lot of but-hurt, but it was strengthening the Union, not splitting it.
And deploying federal troops in Southern States in 1865-67 ultimately strengthened the union. Civil war and strengthening the union aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes it's necessary to engage in the former, to achieve the latter.

The deployment of federal troops to override state policy with the naked threat of force is pretty significant, in my opinion. It's a lot closer to what civil war actually is.

Quote:
What Jan 6 was was an violent attempt to destroy the democratic principle of the US - and it caused about as many injured cops in one afternoon as all BLM protests combined, and more dead cops afterwards.
You honestly believe they were anywhere near overthrowing the government? Do you believe Occupy Wall Street was close to demolishing the American banking system? Do you believe the CHOP in Seattle really did secede from the Union? Maybe you think Waco or Ruby Ridge was the closest we've actually gotten to civil war, in the last hundred years or so?

Honestly, the number of states flouting federal marijuana prohibitions is probably closer in spirit to an actual civil war, than what happened on Jan 6th.

Last edited by theprestige; 21st June 2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 21st June 2022, 12:07 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Its worth noting that there were political bombings in the US on the order of once a week through most of the 70s. Sure, this may be the start of something bigger but political violence has been a much more significant problem in the the relatively recent past.
Point is the Weatherman and other groups bombings in the 70's did not have the support of any mainstream politicians..even other radicals were quick to condemn them.Jan 6th had backing from powerful people in one of the two major parties.
Huge difference.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:08 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And deploying federal troops in Southern States in 1865-67 ultimately strengthened the union. Civil war and strengthening the union aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes it's necessary to engage in the former, to achieve the latter.

The deployment of federal troops to override state policy with the naked threat of force is pretty significant, in my opinion. It's a lot closer to what civil war actually is.

You honestly believe they were anywhere near overthrowing the government? Do you believe Occupy Wall Street was close to demolishing the American banking system? Do you believe the CHOP in Seattle really did secede from the Union? Maybe you think Waco or Ruby Ridge was the closest we've actually gotten to civil war, in the last hundred years or so?

Honestly, the number of states flouting federal marijuana prohibitions is probably closer in spirit to an actual civil war, than what happened on Jan 6th.
What BS.
More like what happened with Prohibition; there was no question of overthrowing the government, just ingoring a specific law considered unjust.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 03:23 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Didn't we have a small area of Seattle secede from the union a couple years back?
Only symbolically. It wasn't anything close to a real secession.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st June 2022 at 03:33 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 03:32 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Evidence?

Once a week? No way. There were a couple in the 60s.

It will be interesting to see how Drumpf's cult reacts to criminal charges about the same time a large number of pro-choice folks react to the SCOTUS overturning Roe v Wade.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:43 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

prestige, you willfully conflate generic political violence with insurrection - they are very obviously not the same, no matter how hard you want to convince yourself and others.

It is perfectly normal for violent members to exist at extreme of any political spectrum; in fact, it is dangerous when one side is much more prone to violence, and/or one side's violence is much more protected by State Actors than the other.

This is also part of the democratic process: because there will always be a fringe, we need the fringe of one side to balance the fringe of the others.

What makes January 6th different is that it wasn't the fringe that tried and nearly succeeded in overthrowing the result of an election, but one of the two parties of the country, using the fringe as tools to assist the attempt.

You are blinded by ideology if you can't tell the difference.

- Emo Philips
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:01 AM   #16
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

prestige, you willfully conflate generic political violence with insurrection - they are very obviously not the same, no matter how hard you want to convince yourself and others.

It is perfectly normal for violent members to exist at extreme of any political spectrum; in fact, it is dangerous when one side is much more prone to violence, and/or one side's violence is much more protected by State Actors than the other.

This is also part of the democratic process: because there will always be a fringe, we need the fringe of one side to balance the fringe of the others.

What makes January 6th different is that it wasn't the fringe that tried and nearly succeeded in overthrowing the result of an election, but one of the two parties of the country, using the fringe as tools to assist the attempt.

You are blinded by ideology if you can't tell the difference.
My Take on it, is if BLM and Antifa had Met the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers in DC on the 6th, and both groups were Armed to the Max they could Arm.
Capitol police would be overwhelmed, and you would have had many dead lawmakers on the hill. The fact BLM chose the not to take part in Trump's Insurrection saved our democracy from it's second Civil War, and open armed conflict in the streets.
It helped Stewart Rhodes is an idiot, he thought by capturing a building he could stop democracy, the only thing Stewart could ever have accomplished is his own destruction, the government of the United States is not in the Capitol Building itself, but rests with the people themselves. The only way an insurrection could have worked is with support of the Millitary and the people of the United States.
Stewart Told me Back in 2008 when we were in a Hypothesis discussion of an Insurrection against Barack Obama, on the Ron Paul sub forum of the MySpace Republican Forum, Once I have Captured the Capitol, I have Captured the Goverment, I replied Bull S**t, you will only destroy Yourself the Government of the United States rests not in a building but in the hearts of it's people. As long as they will fight against a violent Insurrection or Enemy to the Constitution America will be Free.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:01 AM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Still utter nonsense!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:54 AM   #18
8enotto
Master Poster

And from the POV of another it might be the number of armed people inside the government building during a critical time in the election process.
Ones that forced thier way in at a time no tours would have been scheduled. People that had erected a gallow in the lawn and were looking to hang certain individuals.

The fact tragedy had been averted to prevent many deaths is a good thing.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 06:24 AM   #19
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
And from the POV of another it might be the number of armed people inside the government building during a critical time in the election process.
Ones that forced thier way in at a time no tours would have been scheduled. People that had erected a gallow in the lawn and were looking to hang certain individuals.

The fact tragedy had been averted to prevent many deaths is a good thing.

The Fact people Knew the way to win this Civil War by staying Home and being Peaceful and Trusting the wisdom of the American people, should be applauded though the ages and Remembered as long as the Republic stands.
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:32 AM   #20
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
If a new civil war does break out, then Jan 6 will be its "Bleeding Kansas". Violent acts by non-governmental forces that didn't immediately cause the war, but certainly set the tone for the escalations that followed.
That's what I've been thinking.

In the recent past we have had the Jan 6 event, the Cliven Bundy Bunkerville standoff, the Ammon Bundy Malheur standoff.

In the future we might have more events like those, all with the potential to escalate into some pretty significant violence. And if they do go violent, then things might start to spiral.

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
No, we didn't. A city lost some control of a few blocks to protesters who wanted change, but in no way promoted secession from the U.S. That was just the usual right-wing disinfo.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:35 PM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
That's what I've been thinking.

In the recent past we have had the Jan 6 event, the Cliven Bundy Bunkerville standoff, the Ammon Bundy Malheur standoff.

In the future we might have more events like those, all with the potential to escalate into some pretty significant violence. And if they do go violent, then things might start to spiral.

No, we didn't. A city lost some control of a few blocks to protesters who wanted change, but in no way promoted secession from the U.S. That was just the usual right-wing disinfo.
The thing is the number of deaths has been low.
I don't think that will last.
I got a sick feeling that someone is going to be shot this election cycle. I would not be surprised if it's a "red on red" shooting, since the Trumpers seem to hate the RINOs more then the Democrats at the moment.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd June 2022, 06:38 PM   #22
sackett
Philosopher

Here's a blues. Imagine Washboard Sam on instrumentals.

I wake up this mornin',
I take a look outside.
Yass, I wakes up this mornin',
I takes a look outside.
The RINOS and de pride boys
Be doin' that genocide.

Nex' time I looks out,
The RINOS all be dead.
Yass, the nex' time I looks out,
Dem RINOS most be dead.
Pride boys come a runnin'
To cut off my ****** head.

[Guitar solo, Washboard takin' charge]

Shboom tiss.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 06:47 PM   #23
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
January 6th is now History
It was history as of January 7th.

Quote:
it's the closets we have come to Civil War since 1865?
Hardly, although we haven't come remotely close any time since, so it's a rather pointless comparison.

I find it utterly bizarre, however, that such a thing seems to be growing in popularity as a good idea. I guess there's just no limit to stupid.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts