IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st June 2022, 09:43 AM   #1121
Yalius
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
If I had Ultimate Power, I'd stop the capability that users have of logging incidents with us by email. They absolutely never provide any of the real information that we need to fix their problem. It always creates more work for us - we have to email them requesting additional information, they fail to provide it, we email them again to follow up, in a process that I have noted in an earlier post.

I just did a followup to an email that someone sent saying literally "My Chrome is not working". And that was it. That was the entire email. DETAILS PEOPLE! Come on!
They don't do a whole lot better on the phone, either. I can't count the number of times I've heard "is the internet down?" when, after some digging, it turns out that the user is getting a password error logging into some website. "It won't do anything!" somehow means "When I try to log into my RDP session, it says bad username or password."
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 09:46 AM   #1122
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've come to the sad conclusion a lot of my users don't WANT their problem fixed. They want to sit there and play on their phones because "their computer is down."

It literally takes, what 30 maybe 60 seconds to actually put 10% effort into even halfway describing your actual problem. Not doing is intentional.
Old 21st June 2022, 11:05 AM   #1123
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've come to the sad conclusion a lot of my users don't WANT their problem fixed. They want to sit there and play on their phones because "their computer is down."

It literally takes, what 30 maybe 60 seconds to actually put 10% effort into even halfway describing your actual problem. Not doing is intentional.
I used to suspect this of many programmers I supported. Well, more what I'd call coding clerks to frank.
One CIO, who I could happily drown in swimming pool of hairy caterpillars, decided to have a "just pick up the phone" campaign telling every drooling halfwit to "just pick up the phone and call random IT people who may be busy trying to restore a service that just crashed but hey, maybe instead they should be answering random halfwit's question that can be answered with polite variants of "RTFM" or "Why didn't you ask your chief programmer" knowing the answer was going to be "I am the chief programmer". I used to bend a paperclip and insert it into the phone hook so it looked like it was on hook but wasn't.

At <big bank> they set up a webpage for users to report IT incidents with required fields. I don't care it was a bit poor, it bloody worked and I could tell them to write something semi-articulate there. And I could just return it as "insufficient information. Please add network address and maternal grandmother's blood type" but most of the time there was enough there to start to understand the problem, especially as the records went to the Service Desk first.
Old 21st June 2022, 11:42 AM   #1124
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So one of my users has basically the inbox from hell. Literally 76 subfolders, most of them with 1-10 subfolders under that, some of them with their own subfolders under THEM, and a complicated set of nested rules to sort e-mails into the proper folder/subfolder/sub-sub-folder in various ways (some e-mails go to one folder, some go to multiple, some get highlited, etc)

The problem is she wants all of her underlings to have the same inbox setup. I can save the rules and import them into new inboxes easy enough but there is, as far as I can figure, no way to save a template of subfolders and left clicking on their inbox and selecting "create new folder" is too complicated for them to do without IT and by do without IT I mean have IT do for them, so every few weeks I have to sit at a computer and manually create close to a 100 variously nesting subfolders one by one.
Old 21st June 2022, 01:09 PM   #1125
Wudang
BOFH

One of my favourite t-shirts has Princess Leia bent over a laptop with the caption "Help me stackoverflow you're my only hope"
Old 21st June 2022, 02:43 PM   #1126
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So one of my users has basically the inbox from hell. Literally 76 subfolders, most of them with 1-10 subfolders under that, some of them with their own subfolders under THEM, and a complicated set of nested rules to sort e-mails into the proper folder/subfolder/sub-sub-folder in various ways (some e-mails go to one folder, some go to multiple, some get highlited, etc)

The problem is she wants all of her underlings to have the same inbox setup. I can save the rules and import them into new inboxes easy enough but there is, as far as I can figure, no way to save a template of subfolders and left clicking on their inbox and selecting "create new folder" is too complicated for them to do without IT and by do without IT I mean have IT do for them, so every few weeks I have to sit at a computer and manually create close to a 100 variously nesting subfolders one by one.
Could this be scripted using PowerShell?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 03:11 PM   #1127
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Could this be scripted using PowerShell?
Probably but it's a case of "No let's do the single most convoluted and difficult and inefficient way because it's easier for you."

I could do a shared mailbox in 10 minutes that would accomplish the exact same thing but they don't want it that way.
Old 21st June 2022, 07:18 PM   #1128
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
They don't do a whole lot better on the phone, either. I can't count the number of times I've heard "is the internet down?" when, after some digging, it turns out that the user is getting a password error logging into some website. "It won't do anything!" somehow means "When I try to log into my RDP session, it says bad username or password."
The difference is that on the phone we can ask them questions and do our best to prize out of them exactly the information we need in order to proceed. Yes, it can sometimes be quite difficult to do so, especially if the caller has a heavy accent, but this is why it is a skilled job, and probably shouldn't be entry-level.
Old 21st June 2022, 07:20 PM   #1129
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I used to suspect this of many programmers I supported. Well, more what I'd call coding clerks to frank.
One CIO, who I could happily drown in swimming pool of hairy caterpillars, decided to have a "just pick up the phone" campaign telling every drooling halfwit to "just pick up the phone and call random IT people who may be busy trying to restore a service that just crashed but hey, maybe instead they should be answering random halfwit's question that can be answered with polite variants of "RTFM" or "Why didn't you ask your chief programmer" knowing the answer was going to be "I am the chief programmer". I used to bend a paperclip and insert it into the phone hook so it looked like it was on hook but wasn't.
This is exactly why Service Desks exist.

At <big bank> they set up a webpage for users to report IT incidents with required fields. I don't care it was a bit poor, it bloody worked and I could tell them to write something semi-articulate there. And I could just return it as "insufficient information. Please add network address and maternal grandmother's blood type" but most of the time there was enough there to start to understand the problem, especially as the records went to the Service Desk first.
We have one of those. They don't use it.
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:44 AM   #1130
Wudang
BOFH

This is exactly why Service Desks exist.
Precisely.
Quote:
We have one of those. They don't use it.
I missed the key point. They were required to use it. Sorry.
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:52 AM   #1131
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I missed the key point. They were required to use it. Sorry.
That could absolutely, positively, never happen in this environment.
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:53 AM   #1132
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In other fun news, there were literally no T1s in the queue from 1830 to 1900 tonight. I had to remember how to add myself to the T1 queue so that calls wouldn't be bounced.
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:33 AM   #1133
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In other fun news, there were literally no T1s in the queue from 1830 to 1900 tonight. I had to remember how to add myself to the T1 queue so that calls wouldn't be bounced.
Should have contacted the service desk to do it...
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:36 AM   #1134
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Yeah just drop them an email saying "fix my account".
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:50 AM   #1135
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Yeah just drop them an email saying "fix my account".
No that would be too helpful "my computer isn't doing what it should do".
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:04 AM   #1136
Wudang
BOFH

Computer fletely refuses to.
Old 22nd June 2022, 04:03 AM   #1137
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

No that would be too helpful "my computer isn't doing what it should do".
Computer fletely refuses to.
Am havening problems
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:18 AM   #1138
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Response: Do the needful

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:35 AM   #1139
lauwersw
Thinker

Mandatory fields in tickets often miss the point. I once filed a case with IT because we had connection problems from our Unix lab to some IT service. The T1 support person on the phone insisted they had to note down my PC address, even though it was totally unrelated to the problem at hand and they wouldn't listen to my objections.

My problem got handled, but a few hours later I got a call back from the engineer on my case and who was seriously confused about why my PC address was listed in the ticket and what the problem was with it?

I'm around long enough that I even predicted to the T1 person that this would happen...
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:21 AM   #1140
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Response: Do the needful
"Zhu Li, Do the thing."
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:02 PM   #1141
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear Boss: remember when I suggested doing that one thing that one way might not be a good idea? And you ordered me to do it anyway? The president of our company (your boss's boss's boss's boss) just asked me directly to explain whose idea it was.

I save all my emails.

Love,
TragicMonkey
Old 22nd June 2022, 07:00 PM   #1142
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Turns out that the T1 on the 7pm shift called in sick and no-one covered it. It's sorted for today.

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Am havening problems
Add normal program termination.
Old 22nd June 2022, 07:32 PM   #1143
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What the hell does this mean?

Originally Posted by T1
PowerPoint crashing with multiple windows open upon closing one normally only 2 windows open when this happens
And I have already suggested that this particular T1 take a look at the Chronicles of George.
Old 23rd June 2022, 01:33 AM   #1144
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

42?
Old 23rd June 2022, 05:00 AM   #1145
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, punctuation is a dying art... But I'll have a go!

PowerPoint crashing with multiple windows open. Upon closing one normally, only 2 windows (can be) open(ned) (w)then this happens.

More betterer?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 05:26 AM   #1146
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I find it's helpful to rephrase all requests as haiku:

PowerPoint crashes,
many windows are opened
but none are normal.

To which the answer would be:

Foolish idiot,
seeking help for your folly;
you are the problem.
Old 23rd June 2022, 05:49 AM   #1147
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I find it's helpful to rephrase all requests as haiku:

PowerPoint crashes,
many windows are opened
but none are normal.

To which the answer would be:

Foolish idiot,
seeking help for your folly;
you are the problem.
The effort you put into even a single post just astounds me. Kudos.
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:11 AM   #1148
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I love error haikus.

You step in the stream
But the river has moved on
Error 404

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:15 AM   #1149
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Too many records?
This is perplexing to me.
Oh! A busted join!
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:00 PM   #1150
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Helpdesk tickets must be in the form of a haiku or they will be rejected.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:19 PM   #1151
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:22 PM   #1152
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Another request?
Unreasonable demands
merit grisly death.
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:30 PM   #1153
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your file is so big.
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:33 PM   #1154
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

This should be simple?
Eight nested CTEs in...
I think: maybe not.
Old 23rd June 2022, 08:36 PM   #1155
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Chaos reigns within
Reflect, repent, and reboot
Order shall return

Seriously, I've got a heap of these stored up. This one should give you an idea of how long I've had this file:

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.
Old 24th June 2022, 03:52 AM   #1156
Wudang
BOFH

Or if a lot of details are needed, the sonnet form is acceptable.
Old 24th June 2022, 04:55 AM   #1157
Wudang
BOFH

Havening problems
with geting on to network
it is diening
Old 24th June 2022, 05:40 AM   #1158
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Look closely
At the error you see
It is a mirror

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 24th June 2022, 06:03 AM   #1159
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Password rejected
Reset request disappoints
It says it's the same

Old 24th June 2022, 08:11 AM   #1160
Yalius
Muse

Tried to send ticket,
Has to be in a haiku?
Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue how to follow even the most basic of processes and honestly if I could find a way to screw up my problem even more with my self-destructive floundering as I try to fix the problem without even a shred of competence, you know I bet I'm so useless at understanding technical issues this helpdesk ticket is going to cause a buffer overflow issue in the database and corrupt the whole dang thing, but whatever, I still don't understand what a haiku is.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet