IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia history

Old 22nd December 2021, 01:00 AM   #3121
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Australia's population has almost doubled in the last 50 years.
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:59 PM   #3122
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víðarr

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Edited by Agatha:  Whilst I admire the joke, rule 10 is in play in HLA.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.

Last edited by Agatha; 23rd December 2021 at 12:52 PM.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:16 PM   #3123
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

‘Terrorising us’: bluebottles wash up on Australian beaches in ‘gobsmacking numbers’

Quote:
There’s still much to learn about these ‘strange alien creatures’, but climate change likely to create ideal breeding conditions, expert says

Armadas of alien-like sea creatures have been washing up on Australian beaches thanks to the warm weather but experts warn people should look but not touch.

Jellyfish expert Dr Lisa-ann Gershwin said bluebottles had been washing up on beaches across New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania in “gobsmacking numbers” over the last few months thanks to the warmer weather.

“They’re having a really fun time this year and they’re definitely terrorising us this year,” Gershwin said. “They’re really strange alien creatures. There’s no two ways about it.

“It doesn’t have any equal to people, or animals, or corals, or things we understand intuitively. It’s just their own brand of weirdness in such a cool way.”

If someone finds a bluebottle washed up on the beach, Gershwin encouraged people to look but warned they should not touch, poke or stomp on the animals as even in death they can sting.

“These things bloody hurt,” she said.
I can personally attest to that last bit. The beach where my family regularly spent our Christmas/New Year break was riddled with the buggers, and I was stung many times. It's not pleasant, and I stopped going to that beach as soon as I was old enough to be left home alone.
Old 20th January 2022, 06:06 PM   #3124
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

‘Terrorising us’: bluebottles wash up on Australian beaches in ‘gobsmacking numbers’

I can personally attest to that last bit. The beach where my family regularly spent our Christmas/New Year break was riddled with the buggers, and I was stung many times. It's not pleasant, and I stopped going to that beach as soon as I was old enough to be left home alone.
The really scary buggers are the Irukandji stingers. They are moving south and they kill, and you die in great pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

When I was a surf lifesaver on bluebottle days, we used to rub sand on the parts stung (which actually removed the stings sticking to the body) and put laundry blue on (which did nothing other than generate a placebo effect).

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 06:12 PM   #3125
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The really scary buggers are the Irukandji stingers. They are moving south and they kill, and you die in great pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

When I was a surf lifesaver on bluebottle days, we used to rub sand on the parts stung (which actually removed the stings sticking to the body) and put laundry blue on (which did nothing other than generate a placebo effect).
The current recommendation is vinegar. We used a commercial preparation trademarked Stingose. It... kind of worked. It was better than nothing.
Old 22nd January 2022, 05:35 AM   #3126
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Unsurprisingly the Wiggles win the Hottest 100.

I usually listen to the countdown, but since it was moved from Australia Day I haven’t.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-...eber/100775192

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 07:19 PM   #3127
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I listened to most of the 100 yesterday, and listening to the rest on Spotify now. A good playlist.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2022, 06:29 PM   #3128
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Shipwreck found in US confirmed as Captain Cook's Endeavour after 22-year search, museum says

Quote:
Maritime experts are convinced they have confirmed the final resting place of Captain James Cook's ship, Endeavour, after 22 years of searching.

The Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM) announced a wreck in Newport Harbour, off Rhode Island in the United States, had been confirmed as the ship.

The Endeavour, which was scuttled in the harbour as part of the American War of Independence in 1788, has a prominent place in Australian history.

In 1770 it became the first European vessel to reach the east coast.
Old 2nd February 2022, 06:35 PM   #3129
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

But wait!

Quote:
Meanwhile, we may not have found the Endeavour after all.

Kevin Sumption, the chief executive of the Australian National Maritime Museum, announced today the shipwreck of Cook’s vessel had been positively identified.

But the Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project has rejected the ANMM’s report, calling it a “breach of contract” with RIMAP, the lead organisation for the study in Newport harbour.

It says there has been “no indisputable data” to prove the site is the Endeavour, though the study is “consistent with what might be expected”:

There are many unanswered questions that could overturn such an identification ... RIMAP’s conclusions will be driven by proper scientific process and not Australian emotions or politics.
source
Old 10th April 2022, 12:52 PM   #3130
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Official Saints Facebook group is reporting the passing of Chris Bailey of the Saints. Cofounded the Aussie punk band that was all about the music and not the safety pins and hair that beat the Sex Pistols to putting out a record.

Stranded with intros by various artists.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Know Your Product - just yesterday I was looking at a hand written list by Curt Cobain of his favourite records and saw this one.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Ghost Ships
I AGREE

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 10th April 2022 at 12:55 PM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 06:02 PM   #3131
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Thanks for those vids, Sidey. Soundtrack to past days.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2022, 09:52 PM   #3132
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Yes, Orphia. So many memories in those songs.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:32 AM   #3133
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

‘Itchy, yucky, unpleasant’: wet weather brings leech invasion to NSW suburbs

Quote:
Residents tell of close encounters with the blood-sucking creatures which are spreading because of high rain and humidity

Relentless rainfall has sparked a leech invasion in New South Wales, with no reprieve in sight for already damp dwellings.

The blood-sucking creatures have been attracted into suburban areas, where higher than normal rainfall and humidity are providing suitable conditions to feed.

Linda Campbell has been batting off leeches in her Winmalee home in the Blue Mountains for months.

“I’ve lived in this house for seven years, [and] I have never found leeches inside before now,” she said.

“I don’t have a dog. My two cats aren’t allowed outside, so they haven’t hitched a ride on a pet.”

Campbell reckons she has found more than half a dozen leeches on her property since December – bopping up on her body, on the settee, secreted in rugs and on walls.

The worst encounter was when Campbell was sitting on the couch at night, barefoot. She was just about to go to bed when she noticed a leech had been sucking blood out of her foot.
'Straya!
Old 25th May 2022, 05:50 AM   #3134
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

That’s horrible.
Old 25th May 2022, 07:59 PM   #3135
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Ewww.
Old 25th May 2022, 08:28 PM   #3136
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Winmalee is near me. We have the constant dampness too. "Flower Of The Month" winner for the first 6 months of 2022 is Mildew. Runner-up: mold.

Haven't seen any leeches...yet. But I'm getting my leech-gun ready for when they do come...

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 07:58 PM   #3137
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Note that the forum software is going to mangle the URL. You'll need to fix it by inserting the letters S, H, I and T in the appropriate locations, conveniently indicated by asterisks.

'Australia's S***test Big Things' shortlist a joke to some, but not everyone's laughing

Quote:
Australia is famous for its "big things", and the 230-or-so novelty landmarks can certainly divide opinion.

Back to ruffle some feathers, the satirists from **** Towns of Australia have put it to a vote and compiled a shortlist of what people believe are the most unusual or underwhelming "big things".

Some people reckon the "****test" poll is a bit of fun that helps draw attention to their towns; others take exception to being spoken about in such unflattering terms.
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:04 PM   #3138
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
I just clicked the link and it worked.
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:06 PM   #3139
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I just clicked the link and it worked.
Struth, serious? Fair suck of the strudel.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts