IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Closed Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 11:26 PM   #2921
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Moss and Freeman can't sue because the Orange Turd made his accusations while he was still POTUS:

"In a 5–4 decision, the Court ruled that the President is entitled to absolute immunity from legal liability for civil damages based on his official acts. The Court, however, emphasized that the President is not immune from criminal charges stemming from his official or unofficial acts while he is in office."
Nixon v. Fitzgerald

Defamation is a civil, not a criminal, tort.
I don't think trying to steal the election is an official act.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 11:38 PM   #2922
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Moss and Freeman can't sue because the Orange Turd made his accusations while he was still POTUS:

"In a 5–4 decision, the Court ruled that the President is entitled to absolute immunity from legal liability for civil damages based on his official acts. The Court, however, emphasized that the President is not immune from criminal charges stemming from his official or unofficial acts while he is in office."
Nixon v. Fitzgerald

The highlighted. I would take that to mean that if the POTUS decided to authorise the building of a road or a pipeline, say, those adversely affected couldn't sue the person who was the POTUS for such a decision, as it was part of their presidential acts.

Defaming someone should not be considered part of that. ETA: Anymore than failing to pay personal bills incurred for personal acts whilst holding the office of president but unrelated to the job of President

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 21st June 2022 at 11:40 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:13 AM   #2923
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Quote:

"In a 5–4 decision, the Court ruled that the President is entitled to absolute immunity from legal liability for civil damages based on his official acts.
The highlighted. I would take that to mean that if the POTUS decided to authorise the building of a road or a pipeline, say, those adversely affected couldn't sue the person who was the POTUS for such a decision, as it was part of their presidential acts.

Defaming someone should not be considered part of that. ETA: Anymore than failing to pay personal bills incurred for personal acts whilst holding the office of president but unrelated to the job of President
True. I suspect what will happen in that case is that Trump will launch various court challenges/appeals, it will find its way to the supreme court, where they will probably sit on it for a while until they issue a ruling that is less than crystal clear. (Much like their "can they have Trump's taxes? We won't say but we will give guidelines, which will result in more court cases").

Delay delay, until Trump dies. Or becomes president, giving him all the more reason to appeal.

All this should be handled quickly. (After all, Clinton v. Jones was a fairly clear precedent.) But it won't be.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:37 AM   #2924
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/maddowblog/statu...A3rvNWEEUBDYDQ

Quote:
Maddow Blog
@MaddowBlog
Normal
0%
Sen. Ron Johnson so much didn't want to talk to reporters about his office trying to pass fake elector lists to the vice president's office that he tried to pretend he was on the phone.
Video in link

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:33 AM   #2925
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nixon v. Fitzgerald

That was Nixon v. Fitzgerald, 457 U.S. 731 (1982). It dealt with immunity for officials performing discretionary functions when their actions did not violate clearly-established law.

Arthur Ernest Fitzgerald, an American engineer, member of the Senior Executive Service in the United States Air Force, and prominent U.S. government whistleblower, filed a lawsuit against government officials. claiming that he had lost his position as a contractor for the US Air Force because of testimony he made before Congress in 1968. Fitzgerald alleged that the action taken against him later by President Richard Nixon represented unlawful retaliation for his congressional testimony.

In this sort of discussion, it is often useful to go back to the actual decision and see what it says, rather than just look at someone's summary of it.
Here are the important sections of the actual rulings in that case (I have highlighted salient points and emboldened the significant parts)

Held:

2. Petitioner, as a former President of the United States, is entitled to absolute immunity from damages liability predicated on his official acts.

2 (b) The President's absolute immunity is a functionally mandated incident of his unique office, rooted in the constitutional tradition of the separation of powers and supported by the Nation's history. Because of the singular importance of the President's duties, diversion of his energies by concern with private lawsuits would raise unique risks to the effective functioning of government. While the separation of powers doctrine does not bar every exercise of jurisdiction over the President, a court, before exercising jurisdiction, must balance the constitutional weight of the interest to be served against the dangers of intrusion on the authority and functions of the Executive Branch. The exercise of jurisdiction is not warranted in the case of merely private suits for damages based on a President's official acts.

2 (c) The President's absolute immunity extends to all acts within the 'outer perimeter' of his duties of office.

2 (d) (d) A rule of absolute immunity for the President does not leave the Nation without sufficient protection against his misconduct. There remains the constitutional remedy of impeachment, as well as the deterrent effects of constant scrutiny by the press and vigilant oversight by Congress. Other incentives to avoid misconduct may include a desire to earn re-election, the need to maintain prestige as an element of Presidential influence, and a President's traditional concern for his historical stature.
Are lying about election results, attempting to overthrow an election, and calling down his mob to do violence on individual citizens part of POTUS "discretionary functions", or "official duties" or "within the outer perimeter of his duties of office"?

I would not have thought so!

Did The Fat Orange Turd's "desire to earn re-election" protect these people from his misconduct.

Definitely not!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 02:42 AM   #2926
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not wishing to defend Ron Johnson, but this bit "he tried to pretend he was on the phone." is likely BS. That looks like its an Android phone Johnson is using, and almost without exception, the proximity detector deactivates the touchscreen and turns the screen black when you put the phone up to your ear during a phone call, to prevent you from accidentally tapping any buttons

Now, he may well have been pretending to be on a phone call, but the black screen is irrelevant to that.

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd June 2022 at 02:46 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 03:09 AM   #2927
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Not wishing to defend Ron Johnson, but this bit "he tried to pretend he was on the phone." is likely BS. That looks like its an Android phone Johnson is using, and almost without exception, the proximity detector deactivates the touchscreen and turns the screen black when you put the phone up to your ear during a phone call, to prevent you from accidentally tapping any buttons

Now, he may well have been pretending to be on a phone call, but the black screen is irrelevant to that.
He started answering questions after that, so tacitly acknowledged it.

Old 22nd June 2022, 04:02 AM   #2928
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

He started answering questions after that, so tacitly acknowledged it.
True. I was merely pointing out that what the reporter said, "Not you're not, I can see your phone... I can see your screen" was irrelevant. It did not mean he was not on a call.
Old 22nd June 2022, 11:57 AM   #2929
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Seeing a clip of Ivanka's testimony I think it's clear that she used some sort of blur/beauty filter to hide any skin imperfections.
It looked like CGI to me. Talk about uncanny valley!

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:20 PM   #2930
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think the problem is in defining what are 'official duties' and the 'outer perimeter' of his duties of office.

Freeman and MOss sued OAN and Giuliani for defamation. OAN settled out of court a couple months ago so only Giuliani remains as a suit defendant in that case.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/two...ca-2022-04-21/

They are also suing Gateway Pundit. There is no suit against Trump so I suspect their lawyers have advised them against suing him, perhaps for the reason I gave.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 06:11 PM   #2931
stanfr
Master Poster

Good news! The hearings are apparently having an impact on voters...in the latest polls, and in a huge reversal from last year, Desantis is leading Trump in New Hampshire.

Oh wait...that's not good news.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:43 PM   #2932
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
He may have threatened me, bullied me, cajoled, harassed and intimidated me.

He may have sent dozens, hundreds, multitudes of his lunatic minions to come after not only me but also my wife and dying child.

He, and Rudy Giuliani, and John Eastman, may have tried every trick in the book to force me, as Arizona's secretary of state, to cheat, lie, and steal the state for him.

I'm still backing him for president in 2024.
Katie Hobbs is Secretary of State. Bowers is speaker of the AZ House.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:37 PM   #2933
stanfr
Master Poster

I did not buy Bowers' 'coming to Jesus' moment in the hearings yesterday.

He has been on the Trump train all along and was actively involved in supporting the ridiculous and illegal efforts to question the election results here in AZ.

For once, T might have been the truthful party when he said Bowers told him that the election had been rigged.

So why would he change his tune? Perhaps he recognizes a sinking ship and wants to gain favor with whomever takes Trump's place.
ETA: or he could be trying to save his own butt

Last edited by stanfr; 22nd June 2022 at 09:39 PM.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:38 PM   #2934
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Mitch McConnell: "“I think I have an obligation to support the nominee of my party.”

That's about as blatant a "Party of Country" declaration I've ever read. And probably one of the most honest things McConnell has ever said.

Bill Barr : Trump should not be the Republican nominee in 2024 but that he would support him if he were: “I believe that the greatest threat to the country is the progressive agenda being pushed by the Democratic Party. It’s inconceivable to me that I wouldn’t vote for the Republican nominee.”

So the Dems are more dangerous to the country with their 'progressive agenda' than a pathological liar, malignant narcissist, disconnected from reality sociopath who has done his best to destroy the very bedrock of our democracy: the peaceful and lawful transference of power as chosen by the American people by a free and honest election.

Gotcha, Bill.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 12:08 AM   #2935
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

That's almost as insulting as participating in the Jan 6th made for TV drama to save our mid terms show.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 02:05 AM   #2936
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That's almost as insulting as participating in the Jan 6th made for TV drama to save our mid terms show.
Yeah, all those Republicans like Rusty Bowers, Brad Raffensperger, and Ronna McDaniel, getting up there and lying about how Trump and his minions tried to get them to subvert the election with fake pro-Trump electors. And what about those fake phone calls to Georgia GOP election officials where Trump tried to get them to just find him the amount of votes he needed to win the state? Crisis actors! And those two women, Moss and Freeman! They were so obviously lying. No way did they get death threats even though they were passing around USB ports with votes on them like vials of heroin or cocaine. And if anyone knows what a vial of coke looks like, it's Patriot Rudy so he should know!

The next thing those libtards on the committee are going to tell us is that there's no such thing as Bigfoot! Sheesh.
Old 23rd June 2022, 06:24 AM   #2937
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

That was Nixon v. Fitzgerald, 457 U.S. 731 (1982). It dealt with immunity for officials performing discretionary functions when their actions did not violate clearly-established law.

Arthur Ernest Fitzgerald, an American engineer, member of the Senior Executive Service in the United States Air Force, and prominent U.S. government whistleblower, filed a lawsuit against government officials. claiming that he had lost his position as a contractor for the US Air Force because of testimony he made before Congress in 1968. Fitzgerald alleged that the action taken against him later by President Richard Nixon represented unlawful retaliation for his congressional testimony.

In this sort of discussion, it is often useful to go back to the actual decision and see what it says, rather than just look at someone's summary of it.

Here are the important sections of the actual rulings in that case (I have highlighted salient points and emboldened the significant parts)

Held:

2. Petitioner, as a former President of the United States, is entitled to absolute immunity from damages liability predicated on his official acts.

2 (b) The President's absolute immunity is a functionally mandated incident of his unique office, rooted in the constitutional tradition of the separation of powers and supported by the Nation's history. Because of the singular importance of the President's duties, diversion of his energies by concern with private lawsuits would raise unique risks to the effective functioning of government. While the separation of powers doctrine does not bar every exercise of jurisdiction over the President, a court, before exercising jurisdiction, must balance the constitutional weight of the interest to be served against the dangers of intrusion on the authority and functions of the Executive Branch. The exercise of jurisdiction is not warranted in the case of merely private suits for damages based on a President's official acts.

2 (c) The President's absolute immunity extends to all acts within the 'outer perimeter' of his duties of office.

2 (d) (d) A rule of absolute immunity for the President does not leave the Nation without sufficient protection against his misconduct. There remains the constitutional remedy of impeachment, as well as the deterrent effects of constant scrutiny by the press and vigilant oversight by Congress. Other incentives to avoid misconduct may include a desire to earn re-election, the need to maintain prestige as an element of Presidential influence, and a President's traditional concern for his historical stature.

Are lying about election results, attempting to overthrow an election, and calling down his mob to do violence on individual citizens part of POTUS "discretionary functions", or "official duties" or "within the outer perimeter of his duties of office"?

I would not have thought so!

Did The Fat Orange Turd's "desire to earn re-election" protect these people from his misconduct.

Definitely not!!
Some thoughts that floated through my head while reading that:

It is disruptive to the operation of government that the President might have to think about the consequences of his actions on citizens?

This immunity is rooted in the separation of powers? But you're the court, a separate branch enabled to act as a check on the executive.

Impeachment is nice and all, bit still doesn't address any way to recover damages by those affected. It can only prevent further potential harm, not harms already caused.

Every random statement a President makes is a "function?"

In the overall, while the Presidency* was once far more limited than a monarch in the age of absolutism, it appears far more shielded from any consequences than than its contemporaries today.

*ETA: even more to the point, the person inhabiting the office.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 23rd June 2022 at 06:50 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:05 AM   #2938
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Some thoughts that floated through my head while reading that:

It is disruptive to the operation of government that the President might have to think about the consequences of his actions on citizens?

This immunity is rooted in the separation of powers? But you're the court, a separate branch enabled to act as a check on the executive.

Impeachment is nice and all, bit still doesn't address any way to recover damages by those affected. It can only prevent further potential harm, not harms already caused.

Every random statement a President makes is a "function?"

In the overall, while the Presidency* was once far more limited than a monarch in the age of absolutism, it appears far more shielded from any consequences than than its contemporaries today.

*ETA: even more to the point, the person inhabiting the office.
It's long been apparent to me that, among the democracies, POTUS is regarded nearest to a king. The oft brayed, "No man is above the law" is revealed to be not just delusional, but a brazen lie. Indeed, because money is prized above all else in the US, the rich are already sheilded to a shameful degree, with the result that a craven scofflaw became President. Look at the fallout such myopic idiocy has wrought.

Even IF that prolapsed orange anus should eventually be convicted for one or more of its crimes, the trepidatious, timorous, tender tip-toeing by the DOJ exemplifies the irrational reverence for the office. Evident also is a certain pusillanimity where overwrought hand-wringing over political ramifications too heavily weighted induces inertia and delay. If not outright inaction.

That one phone recording with Raffensberger should have resulted in indictment the day following its release. Or at least the immediate ousting from office. In most any of the other democracies there would have resulted serious consequences essentially immediately had a PM, President or Chancellor done such a thing.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 01:22 PM   #2939
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Once again, it's not that the gist is new in today's hearing, but OMG the extent Drumpf went to promote the Big Lie is shocking. He was obsessed!

Today we get to see which legislators asked for pardons. My guess, Drumpf was pouting and wasn't about to let any of the 'losers' off the hook. They all failed him including the 'mob'. Before today I would have thought Drumpf didn't give pardons because it would look like he himself was guilty. But now it looks like he was so obsessed, day after day, that when it was over he probably went into a depression and blamed all the people he felt failed him.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 01:49 PM   #2940
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Petty clear that one thing the investigations have done is put McCarthy permanenly in Trump's dogshouse, and this time a trip to Marg Largo to kiss the ring won't be enough.
I am sure the idea is, if the GOP gets the House back, to remove him and put a 100% Trump loyalists in his place. Ring and even Butt kissing will no longer be enough.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2022, 06:15 PM   #2941
ZiprHead
Muse

ABC News announced that Jeffrey Clark, Trump's pick to take over the DOJ because he was willing to do Trump's bidding, had his home raided and searched this morning. They said Clark was standing in the street watching in his pajamas.

Is that the sound of toilets flushing in Mar A Lago I hear?

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 01:57 AM   #2942
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

So Louis Gohmert, Matt Gaetz, Mo Brooks, Andrew Biggs and Scott Perry all asked for presidential pardons... all testified to, under oath.

Has anyone heard if Scott Perry still denies asking for a presidential pardon?
Old 24th June 2022, 02:38 AM   #2943
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brit Hume on Fox said "Far from proving Trump nearly blew up our democracy, the testimony has shown his effort collapsed because Republican officials who voted for him refused to go along."

Is that the defence? Trump tried to overthrow democracy but a couple of guys stopped him so it's OK?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 03:40 AM   #2944
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Brit Hume on Fox said "Far from proving Trump nearly blew up our democracy, the testimony has shown his effort collapsed because Republican officials who voted for him refused to go along."

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is that the defence? Trump tried to overthrow democracy but a couple of guys stopped him so it's OK?
Its the standard GOP "no harm = no foul" defence. The Zelenskyy extortion scandal showed that... "So what if Dear Leader tried to extort Zelenskyy by withholding weapons to get dirt on Joe Biden. It didn't work... he didn't get what he wanted, and Ukraine got the weapons, so he didn't do anything wrong."
Old 24th June 2022, 04:43 AM   #2945
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's Monopoly Rules: if you get caught stealing from the Bank, your punishment is to have to return the money, nothing more.

It's called Privilege, aka Private Law for Republicans, common law for everyone else.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 04:44 AM   #2946
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Brit Hume's also on record in January saying trump's claims of widespread fraud are utter balderdash and likely led to the event on January 6.

“All of that stuff he said for weeks on end after the election — that he’d won it in a landslide, and that it was all stolen from him, and that Mike Pence had the authority, which he most certainly did not, of reversing the results at the last minute last week,” Hume told host Tucker Carlson. “That was utter balderdash and he fed it into the veins of his supporters, and one could make a pretty good case that that’s part of what got them into a fever that led to last week’s events.”

So it seems he's more defending the Republicans than trump on this one.
Old 24th June 2022, 09:15 PM   #2947
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Mo Brooks is willing to talk to the Jan 6 select committee. Of course if, like me, you have been following the US Senate primaries, it won't be very hard to guess why he's had this change of heart.... Trump first endorsed him in his bid to become a Senator for Alabama, then "un-endorsed" him and endorsed his opponent, Katie Britt instead.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/06/mo-b...onditions.html

Maybe Marjorie Taylor-Green wasn't far off with her "gazpacho" comments. After all, isn't revenge supposed to be a dish that is best served cold!?
Old 25th June 2022, 02:54 PM   #2948
sarge
Philosopher

Mod WarningThis thread is about the Investigation into the Jan 6 insurrection. It is not about gas prices, Biden, or even Trump generally.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:sarge
Old 27th June 2022, 11:14 AM   #2949
plague311
Great minds think...

The Jan. 6th committee is going to have a meeting that was scheduled last minute due to new information. I'm not sure what it could be, but it must be important, or at least interesting. Link, quote:

Quote:
The Jan. 6 committee will hold a last-minute public hearing Tuesday to present new evidence and hear witness testimony, after having previously said it would take a break until mid-July.

The hearing is scheduled for Tuesday at 1 p.m. ET, according to an advisory the committee sent out Monday. In an unusual move, the committee has not identified the witness, as it did for previous hearings.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 12:24 PM   #2950
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The Jan. 6th committee is going to have a meeting that was scheduled last minute due to new information. I'm not sure what it could be, but it must be important, or at least interesting. Link, quote:
Thanks. I heard a snippet of this in my background radio noise and now I don't have to look up when the hearing will be.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:53 PM   #2951
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Thanks. I heard a snippet of this in my background radio noise and now I don't have to look up when the hearing will be.
Glad I could help!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 02:03 PM   #2952
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Now everybody is expecting another bombshell tommorow.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 02:16 PM   #2953
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There better be one. If there isn't, people will be asking why they did this. If you're promising people a Beatles reunion, you better not give them William Hung.

Last edited by shemp; 27th June 2022 at 02:20 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 05:03 PM   #2954
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I do hope they show the Babbit **** dying again. That's my favorite part of the whole show.
Old 27th June 2022, 07:00 PM   #2955
ZiprHead
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I do hope they show the Babbit **** dying again. That's my favorite part of the whole show.
Haven't you heard? According to Empty G Babbitt was trying to keep people from going into the chamber.

IIDB is back, baby!
Old 27th June 2022, 07:33 PM   #2956
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Haven't you heard? According to Empty G Babbitt was trying to keep people from going into the chamber.
She was partly successful. Her body did good service as a tripping hazard, the one useful thing she ever did.
Old 27th June 2022, 09:53 PM   #2957
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
My guess(es) would be

a. Trump's former White House Counsel, Pat Cipillone.

b. Mark Meadows’ former top aide, Cassidy Hutchinson (the women who testified on video in the last hearing to several Congressman applying to The Fat Orange Turd for pardons.)

Perhaps both.

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th June 2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 28th June 2022, 01:29 AM   #2958
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

lionking has a birthday
She was partly successful. Her body did good service as a tripping hazard, the one useful thing she ever did.
Really? Look I’m on your side. Solidly. But why this rubbish?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2022, 02:16 AM   #2959
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My guess(es) would be

a. Trump's former White House Counsel, Pat Cipillone.

b. Mark Meadows’ former top aide, Cassidy Hutchinson (the women who testified on video in the last hearing to several Congressman applying to The Fat Orange Turd for pardons.)

Perhaps both.
That's my guess, too. it must be something important or they wouldn't have added a new session early like this. I know I'll be watching.
Can't wait to see how our resident troll handwaves this away.
Old 28th June 2022, 04:42 AM   #2960
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Flippant, but not entirely wrong. All the rioters at the door stopped to video her dying.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics