IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 3rd August 2022, 12:00 PM   #1681
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Speaking of The Former Guy, why haven't we seen his tax returns? After the election, didn't we hear that a Democratic House, Senate and White House would be getting them out forthwith?
Because everything that is going to take Trump down ALWAYS happens at some unspecified point in the future, never in real time in the now.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:02 PM   #1682
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Well, he was in law enforcement...

https://mcdonalds.fandom.com/wiki/Of...er_Big_Mac.jpg

Trump: "A great police officer, there was virtually no crime in McDonaldland, whatsoever."

Reporter: "What about the Hamburgler?"

Trump: "Who? What? I've never heard of him."
The Hamburgler got covfefe for the staff.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:08 PM   #1683
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of The Former Guy, why haven't we seen his tax returns? After the election, didn't we hear that a Democratic House, Senate and White House would be getting them out forthwith?
Because the tax returns were presented to the NY grand jury and, by state law,
they must remain confidential until, and unless, they are used as evidence in a case against him.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/22/with...x-returns.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:11 PM   #1684
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
they must remain confidential until, and unless, they are used as evidence in a case against him.

He's also still been asking the courts to block the release of everything else. An appeals court just upheld the release of some of his financial records a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Armitage72; 3rd August 2022 at 12:12 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:17 PM   #1685
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
He's also still been asking the courts to block the release of everything else. An appeals court just upheld the release of some of his financial records a few weeks ago.
Anyone who thinks he's not scared to death what those returns will reveal is living in La La Land.
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:00 PM   #1686
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

How does New York prevent federal authorities from releasing them? That's not the way the laws usually work.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:03 PM   #1687
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

How does New York prevent federal authorities from releasing them? That's not the way the laws usually work.
Did you read the article? It's a federal case.
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:09 PM   #1688
Venom
Philosopher

Honestly, this man has to be stopped. IDK how but I would be okay with underhanded means. That's the game of the Radical Right now. Trump probably won't be held accountable in any way that matters for January 6.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:20 PM   #1689
cmikes
Muse

The Democrats have to delay the release of his tax returns as long as possible since there isn't anything illegal or embarrassing in them. If there were, they would have been leaked years ago.

As long as the Democratic Political Security establishment can keep the tax returns under wraps, they can still sell that "the walls are closing in" and "this time we've got him!" to their low information voters.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 01:57 PM   #1690
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Did you read the article? It's a federal case.
My mistake. There's also a NY state case. I confused them.
https://nypost.com/2022/06/08/donald...se-next-month/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 02:04 PM   #1691
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
The Democrats have to delay the release of his tax returns as long as possible since there isn't anything illegal or embarrassing in them. If there were, they would have been leaked years ago.

As long as the Democratic Political Security establishment can keep the tax returns under wraps, they can still sell that "the walls are closing in" and "this time we've got him!" to their low information voters.
Yeah, you go with that if it helps you rationalize your support for a sociopathic criminal.

It's the Democrats who have been calling for their release for years and Trump who has refused to release them despite every single presidential candidate having done so for almost 50 years. Trump is the one who is hiding something or he'd have released them. Use some logic.
Old 3rd August 2022, 02:13 PM   #1692
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

There are severe criminal penalties for leaking tax returns. That's why they haven't been leaked. And illegal and embarrassing are two different things. I'm willing to agree that they probably don't show much illegal, although there are claims that he used different numbers for different purposes. But they could reveal a lot about Trump's actual wealth and debts, his low-to zero federal tax payments, his sources of income (particularly regarding allegations of money-laundering for Russian gangsters), his claimed expenses, his charitable donations (or lack thereof), etc. etc. If you think they are so innocuous, why has Trump fought so hard to hide them for so many years?

Here's one perspective:
Quote:
Jeff Robbins, a former attorney for the US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations and federal prosecutor overseeing money-laundering probes, said keeping two sets of books could lead to a number of serious financial crimes.

"Inconsistency is not a crime. The intent to defraud is a crime," Robbins told Insider. "What a prosecutor is going to be looking at is: Did Trump seek to defraud the government of the United States with respect to the valuation of assets and the paying of taxes? Was there an intent to defraud banks?
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...on-2021-2?op=1

And:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...s-the-tax-game
Old 3rd August 2022, 06:44 PM   #1693
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
I think we are too close to the action to see it the way history will, i.e. Trump was a badly failed president who didn't rate a second term.
I saw him as that immediately after his inauguration when he was lying about the crowd size.
You called it right.

He has made it his business to destroy the public's faith in government and democracy and replace it with faith in him. Reminds ya' of that other German guy. What was his name?

I was not shocked at all to hear Burger Boy try to dodge questions about his close ties to the Saudis by pretending that “Nobody’s gotten to the bottom of 9/11. . .”.

Some folks think Trump is going to somehow get away with lying and cheating for the rest of his life. But it's worth noting that he's become a pariah in one business environment after another. He's reduced to hooking up with dirty dealers, like the Saudis, who will throw in with him on his empty ventures.

He's going down in history as the worst president ever.

He's falling in the polls.

And he's likely to send the rest of his cheese burger eatin' life in one court after another.

Last edited by arayder; 3rd August 2022 at 06:57 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 06:53 PM   #1694
arayder
Master Poster

Yikes!!!!
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 08:23 PM   #1695
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Yikes!!!!
This is why I break with standard liberal dogma when it comes to gun ownership.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 09:51 PM   #1696
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Hmm? I don't recall either hearing that or it even being allowed. TFG could release them to the public easily, but not really Congress or law enforcement agencies. The subpoenas were to be for congressional/legal investigator use only. Even that was blocked for quite a while, though, as cases worked their way through the courts with Trump's delay, delay, delay tactics in full swing. Eventually, Mazars turned over Trump's tax documents, though... and dropped Trump as a client not too long after, saying that they could not trust what they'd been provided to be accurate. And... that's pretty much where things are now, at last check, given that that takes us up to a couple months ago?

Boring nonsense that smacks of projection. Tactics like that that are regularly employed by and work remarkably well on conservatives frequently do not work well on Democrats, which means that Democrats tend to actually employ them much less often and there's no evidence at all that that's actually being done in this case. Reminds me of the whole thing where Republicans project their tactics onto Democrats while at the same time looking down their noses at Democrats for being too "weak" and "empathetic" to do the brutal things (nevermind that brutal isn't often best) and ignoring every bit of evidence that shows that they're safely in utterly unreasonable accusation territory.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd August 2022 at 10:12 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:19 PM   #1697
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
His behavior at a recent gold event is an example of why I have yet to be convinced he'll run for President again. His greatest fear is being seen as a loser, and nothing would secure that for all time more effectively than losing one of the world's most conspicuous, highest-profile competitions twice.
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Ah yes but Trump didn't lose. He's the rightful winner and as soon as the real patriots otherthrow the deep state that will be shown.
The more he says things like that, the more he looks to me like someone who suffers from deep intense insecurity. The bombast & bluster is the best somebody like that can do; people who are actually successful & confident have no use for it.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 11:54 PM   #1698
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The more he says things like that, the more he looks to me like someone who suffers from deep intense insecurity. The bombast & bluster is the best somebody like that can do; people who are actually successful & confident have no use for it.
Narcissism is rooted in deep seated feelings of inferiority. It's an overreaction to that frail ego. It's like Old Money never brag about how much money they have but the nouveau-riche try to impress everyone with their conspicuous spending.

My parents were good friends with a Dupont...of 'the' Duponts. My mom said you'd never know she came from wealth because she never spoke about it and lived like the rest of the officers' wives. The only thing that stood out was her huge diamond wedding ring.
Old 4th August 2022, 05:54 AM   #1699
arayder
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This is why I break with standard liberal dogma when it comes to gun ownership.
Yes. January 6th cured me of any lingering "Things like that can't happen in America" notions.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:24 AM   #1700
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Something tangentally related to Trump:

The Department of Justice is suing former Trump White House aide Peter Navarro in an effort to compel him to produce emails from a personal account that he allegedly used to conduct official White House business....Navarro did not copy his official White House account on the email exchanges, nor did he forward the email chains to his White House account, a violation of the Presidential Records Act...The National Archives reached out to Navarro asking him to turn over the missing records, but he never responded, according to the complaint.

Hmmmm.... someone using personal email accounts to handle government business. Where have I heard that before? Too bad he didn't have any prior examples as a guideline...

(I'm sure Trump will now start a "Lock him up" chant at his next rally.)

Of course, Navarro is complaining about "5th amendment rights", and how he does have everything archived. (Just not where it should be.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 01:06 PM   #1701
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

VP Cheney smacks Trump.
Quote:
In a new campaign ad for his daughter Rep. Liz Cheney, former Vice President Dick Cheney does not mince words about former President Donald Trump, calling him a "coward" and a "threat to our republic."

ďIn our nationís 246 year history there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump," Cheney, wearing a cowboy hat and looking directly into the camera, says in the ad. "He tried to steal the last election using lies and violence to keep himself in power after the voters had rejected him. He is a coward. A real man wouldn't lie to his supporters."
https://news.yahoo.com/dick-cheney-t...200108029.html
Old 4th August 2022, 01:25 PM   #1702
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Good lord. Just goes to show that nothing is completely impossible.
Old 4th August 2022, 03:02 PM   #1703
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Just wait until Donny responds on ...what's it called?... Trothe Sential.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 02:21 AM   #1704
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Just wait until Donny responds on ...what's it called?... Trothe Sential.

Why wait? We can all predict roughly what he will say.

Hans
Old 5th August 2022, 07:32 AM   #1705
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This shows that evil people are not one big family, they often are at odds with each other.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 07:40 AM   #1706
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

While there is a slight chuckle/eyebrow raise in the fact that the men who shot his best friend in the face with a shotgun and made the friend apologize to him and that was the least evil thing he ever did saying Trump is bad and sure that does means... something on some level I'm over all the criticism of Trump from the Right only happening when it doesn't make a difference.

Regardless of how vile I think he is Chaney was a VP and long, long time Republican party insider, dude carries some weight in the party. If he had been loudly ranting against Trump from the beginning that would mean something meaningful and positive. A single statement, not matter how forceful and poetic, this far after the fact does not.
Old 5th August 2022, 08:15 AM   #1707
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Grifters gonna grift...

The political fund created to push former President Donald Trump's claims of widespread voter fraud paid $60,000 to a fashion designer for former First Lady Melania Trump...

For better or worse, there might not be any legal restriction on doing this (there are different type of PACs; the type that Trump created seems to have fewer restrictions). But, it still looks rather scummy.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:52 AM   #1708
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
While there is a slight chuckle/eyebrow raise in the fact that the men who shot his best friend in the face with a shotgun and made the friend apologize to him and that was the least evil thing he ever did saying Trump is bad and sure that does means... something on some level I'm over all the criticism of Trump from the Right only happening when it doesn't make a difference.

It reminds me of when Marvel and DC did a Batman/Captain America crossover. When the Joker realized that the Red Skull was an actual Nazi and not just using it as a gimmick, he basically said "Screw this. I may be a murderous lunatic, but I'm an American murderous lunatic."
He was still a murderous lunatic.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2022, 06:15 AM   #1709
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Grifters gonna grift...

The political fund created to push former President Donald Trump's claims of widespread voter fraud paid $60,000 to a fashion designer for former First Lady Melania Trump...

For better or worse, there might not be any legal restriction on doing this (there are different type of PACs; the type that Trump created seems to have fewer restrictions). But, it still looks rather scummy.
Iíd love to survey the MAGAheads to see how many refuse to believe it, how many believe it but donít care, and how many believe it and also approve of it.
Old 6th August 2022, 07:53 AM   #1710
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Iíd love to survey the MAGAheads to see how many refuse to believe it, how many believe it but donít care, and how many believe it and also approve of it.
Can you ask them how many had a tizzy fit when Kamela Harris bought a $400 pot from France with her own money?
Old 6th August 2022, 08:58 AM   #1711
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Grifters gonna grift...

I thought human trafficking was illegal. I am also surprised the political fund thought Melania was worth the $60,000 it paid for her. And how did the fashion designer come to own Melania in the first place?
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2022, 12:48 PM   #1712
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
I thought human trafficking was illegal. I am also surprised the political fund thought Melania was worth the $60,000 it paid for her. And how did the fashion designer come to own Melania in the first place?
And why would a fashion designer want a woman who would wear this in public?

Old 6th August 2022, 03:37 PM   #1713
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

And why would a fashion designer want a woman who would wear this in public?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ec5906a0d0.jpg
Orange cred.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2022, 03:57 PM   #1714
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Orange cred.
Color matching her husband's 'tan' was so fashionista!
Old 7th August 2022, 07:18 AM   #1715
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Yesterday, I watched some of PT 109 (an account of JFK’s naval career.).

I had a very hard time imaging TFG doing any of the things that young Jack did. I’m not even talking about the heroic stuff - I cannot imagine him speaking up for his subordinates, turning down a states-side leave, taking the blame after he runs his boat into part of the dock, or quickly walking down a steep gangplank.
Old 7th August 2022, 01:44 PM   #1716
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yesterday, I watched some of PT 109 (an account of JFKís naval career.).

I had a very hard time imaging TFG doing any of the things that young Jack did. Iím not even talking about the heroic stuff - I cannot imagine him speaking up for his subordinates, turning down a states-side leave, taking the blame after he runs his boat into part of the dock, or quickly walking down a steep gangplank.
How could he with such bad bone spurs? They practically kept him bedridden for years except on those occasions he needed to walk all over the 'little people'.
Old 7th August 2022, 02:21 PM   #1717
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
How could he with such bad bone spurs? They practically kept him bedridden for years except on those occasions he needed to walk all over the 'little people'.
Or a golf course.
Old 7th August 2022, 03:38 PM   #1718
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Or a golf course.
Silly. He never walks on a golf course. He rides in a golf cart. Damn you, bone spurs! Damn you!
Old 7th August 2022, 04:31 PM   #1719
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Silly. He never walks on a golf course. He rides in a golf cart. Damn you, bone spurs! Damn you!http://www.internationalskeptics.com...03ee947d29.gif
And he drives it across the greens, because he can.
Actual cars, of course, are another matter. They're for the little people to drive. He's probably never had a license.
Old 7th August 2022, 05:34 PM   #1720
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I watched the last half of the cringeworthy CPAC final speech last night. Big applause for "We need to abolish the Board of Education!" He also called to the stage the female swimmer who'd been beaten by an MTF trans person (and had apparently spoken earlier that day). He couldn't even remember her first name, just calling her "Gaines". Check out the video of that segment on YouTube, it's painful. Not the subject matter, but how he treats her.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics