IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 4th August 2022, 06:36 PM   #881
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I’m looking at some comments at how Texas caps punitive damages to 2x or something like that.
In Texas, punitive damages may not exceed more than two times the amount of economic damages plus the amount equal to non-economic damages not to exceed $750,000 or $200,000, whichever is greater.

So yeah he's paying 12 mil, absolute tops.

He'll get that back shilling supplements in a week.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:41 PM   #882
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
According to my research Texas DOES NOT CAP DAMAGES.

https://www.aguirrelawpllc.com/blog/...actice%20claim
It doesn't cap it, but it can only be twice what the economic damages are.

He legally can't be fined (charged? Penalized? Whatever) more than 8.2 million in punitive damages after being award 4.1 in economic damages.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:49 PM   #883
ZiprHead
Muse

Alex Jones’ cell phone is everything Republicans dreamed Hunter Biden’s laptop would be.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 06:51 PM   #884
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
"Every Republican accusation is a confession."

At this point if Alex Jones is a Muslim sleeper agent born in Kenya who killed Vince Foster while wearing a tan suit and teaching CRT I will be zero percent surprised.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:57 PM   #885
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

He legally can't be fined (charged? Penalized? Whatever) more than 8.2 million in punitive damages after being award 4.1 in economic damages.
I'd be happy with a $12.4 million award.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 06:58 PM   #886
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'd be happy with a $12.4 million award.
He'll make that back in a week shilling supplements and begging from his cult members.
Old 4th August 2022, 06:59 PM   #887
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

In Texas, punitive damages may not exceed more than two times the amount of economic damages plus the amount equal to non-economic damages not to exceed $750,000 or $200,000, whichever is greater.

Well, that sinks any hope that the amount would be enough to actually be punitive.
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 07:05 PM   #888
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He'll make that back in a week shilling supplements and begging from his cult members.
Any idiot he grifts deserves being taken. Ya cain't fix stoopid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 07:13 PM   #889
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Any idiot he grifts deserves being taken.
That's irrelevent. It doesn't matter what the money is coming from, it's that Alex Jones will not suffer or be weakened by this. He'll be back spewing dangerous disinformation before long.

Quote:
Ya cain't fix stoopid.
Yeah you can, we're just not allowed to.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:29 PM   #890
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I've read and seen reports that punitive damages can be as much as ten times compensatory damages. So punitive damages could be as much as 40 million dollars.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:45 PM   #891
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've read and seen reports that punitive damages can be as much as ten times compensatory damages. So punitive damages could be as much as 40 million dollars.
Think it depends on the state. Texas only allows up to twice the compensatory damages.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 07:58 PM   #892
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Maybe the idea is to not bleed the turnip dry on the first round, leave something for all the other upcoming lawsuits to take a piece of too.
One can only hope.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:59 PM   #893
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Think it depends on the state. Texas only allows up to twice the compensatory damages.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
Do you have a cite for us?

CBS reported that it must be no more than a reasonable multiple of the compensatory damages. Which the reporter threw out the multiple of ten. Frankly, I don't know. Keep in mind this is one of 4 civil suits that Jones has lost. There will be 3 more suits where the amount of the damages have yet to be determined.
Old 4th August 2022, 08:03 PM   #894
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The better outcome will be his phone contents going to the Jan-6 committee.
....and the DoJ
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 08:22 PM   #895
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

The better outcome will be his phone contents going to the Jan-6 committee.

Should have been his image in the flames instead of the judge.
Old 4th August 2022, 08:30 PM   #896
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

This outcome is only for one of the children killed. How many were there he said were fake? 20-odd? At maybe $12 million per, and a precedent set, that's a quarter billion in damages he is facing potentially. He will be poison.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 4th August 2022 at 08:31 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 09:31 PM   #897
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Let's hope this turns out to be death by a thousand cuts instead of decapitation.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:54 PM   #898
angrysoba
Philosophile

Sickening.

And his regular enablers, Joe Rogan, Tim Pool, Michael Malice, Glenn Greenwald and the rest of the gang will be lining up to have him on their podcasts to boost his image and fleece his conspiracy-addled fanbase.
Old 4th August 2022, 10:57 PM   #899
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Maybe the idea is to not bleed the turnip dry on the first round, leave something for all the other upcoming lawsuits to take a piece of too.
One can only hope.
This outcome is only for one of the children killed. How many were there he said were fake? 20-odd? At maybe $12 million per, and a precedent set, that's a quarter billion in damages he is facing potentially. He will be poison.
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Let's hope this turns out to be death by a thousand cuts instead of decapitation.
Certainly we can hope.

It would be nice to see his life become a continuous stream of lawsuits and payouts, followed by criminal prosecutions, and Jan 6 investigations.
Old 5th August 2022, 04:56 AM   #900
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Here's the lawyer in the case explaining what HE thinks the punitive damages might be:

https://twitter.com/dansolomon/statu...08565715451904

https://twitter.com/HeadlinerClip/st...11853030371328
(with subtitles)

He seems to think there is no limit of two times the economic damages, and he's the one in court every day.

Last edited by Matthew Best; 5th August 2022 at 04:59 AM.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 05:12 AM   #901
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay. The point is there is zero chance he's going to pay enough for it to matter. He won't pay enough to hurt him because his cult members will just give it back to him.

Monetary damages don't mean anything if the person's status as a symbolic side in the culture war means he'll it make it back.

And there's no (to my knowledge) legal way to prevent Alex Jones from making money after this is said and done.

He starts a "Da Big Ebil Guberment is trying to CENSOR ME!" Kickstarter (or some crowd funding equivalent since I doubt Kickstarter or any of the other major places would touch him with a ten foot ball) he WILL make whatever the court fines him back.
Old 5th August 2022, 06:55 AM   #902
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I disagree.
The trial and the way to get to it has shown that the Infowars ' company approach to recording keeping is ad hoc at best.
Clever lawyers should easily be able to sue them for all kinds of reasons, knowing that Jones won't be able to produce any exculpatory evidence.
Just ask the Knowledge Fight guys for ideas what to sue Alex over next.

And, of course, the revelation of Infowars ' income should get the IRS interested.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 06:58 AM   #903
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Much like Trump getting perp-walked off the White House lawn (or the Maro Lago golf course at this point), I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 5th August 2022, 07:03 AM   #904
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Is there any precedent between courts in different states?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 07:09 AM   #905
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Is there any precedent between courts in different states?
Legal precedent in a technical sense? Not sure.

In the vaguer sense of lawyers going "Well it worked in one state, might as well try it here," Breaking the seal, if you can make God bleed, pick your metaphor... maybe.
Old 5th August 2022, 07:10 AM   #906
angrysoba
Philosophile

Much like Trump getting perp-walked off the White House lawn (or the Maro Lago golf course at this point), I'll believe it when I see it.
It is ****** how he has done so much damage with complete impunity up until now, apart from being booted off a few platforms.

But I think it is still a win for the plaintffs - good thing. Looks like it will be a win for future plaintffs - good thing.

He willl almost certainly end up paying a substantial amount of compensatory and punitive damages to someone - good thing.

Probably will have some useful information that can incriminate either him or his associates somewhere down the line - good thing.

Even if Alex Jones has not yet been completely taken to the cleaners just yet, I am glad there are people trying, and finally getting some success.

It's also nice that while skeptics are usually the ones whose advice and careful examination of the record usually gets drowned out by the megaphone of misinformation, things are starting to go their way.

I think on balance these are positive signs, so I am happy for the plaintiffs, optimistic for future judgements and grateful to the plantiff's attorneys and the Knowledge Fight podcasters.
Old 5th August 2022, 08:02 AM   #907
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I found this investigation into Jones' early life by Jon Ronson rather revealing.

I've linked to the transcript of the podcast; if you prefer listening, that's here.

It seems Jones has always been a bully and liar (no great surprise, I guess).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 08:33 AM   #908
eerok
Quixoticist

The fallout from Jones' lawyers' incompetence continues.

Connecticut Judge Orders Alex Jones’ Attorneys to Explain Why They Shouldn’t Be Punished for the ‘Purported Release of Medical Records’ of Sandy Hook Families (lawandcrime.com)
Quote:
Norm Pattis, a Connecticut attorney for Infowars host Alex Jones and several of Jones’ associated companies, must appear at hearing in the Constitution State next week to explain whether he should or should not be punished for allegedly revealing the medical records of one or several Sandy Hook families who sued Jones for defamation. That’s according to a judge’s order filed Thursday.
Old 5th August 2022, 08:36 AM   #909
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jesus this would be comical if it didn't involve so much legit suffering from innocent people.

"Breaking News: Alex Jones says he has no idea how credit cards applied for with the identities of dead Sandy Hook shooting victims wound up in his wallet."

"Breaking News: Alex Jones's Lawyer apologies for trying to call dead shooting victim to the stand to prove they were really murdered."

"Breaking News: Alex Jones claims he was just 'in character' when he dug up a school shooting victim and wore their face like a mask to prank their family."
Old 5th August 2022, 08:42 AM   #910
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I found this investigation into Jones' early life by Jon Ronson rather revealing.

I've linked to the transcript of the podcast; if you prefer listening, that's here.

It seems Jones has always been a bully and liar (no great surprise, I guess).
IIRC Jon actually made a post to a thread about Alex at JREF about 15-16 years ago, the basic theme of which was that while he found Jones to be a showman, at the same time he felt Jones was reasonably earnest in his crazy beliefs as well.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 08:54 AM   #911
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Even if Alex Jones has not yet been completely taken to the cleaners just yet, I am glad there are people trying, and finally getting some success.
Jones has demonstrated how he behaves in court and, in the larger sense, during the conduct of a trial. Potential plaintiff's counsels are likely taking note. All they have to do is persevere and Jones will shoot himself in the foot and hand them a guaranteed win.

As with Orange Monstrosity, fewer and fewer defense firms will be willing to defend him. And the quality of that defense will continue to diminish as he starts to rely more on cut-rate, marginally-competent defenders.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:00 AM   #912
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wasn't it Randi himself that said something to the effect of one of the problems in dealing with liars is how easily people who start off knowing they are lying can talk themselves into eventually believing (and truly believing it on a deep and honest level) their own b.s?

So yeah that at some point Alex Jones was most certainly just a grifter who believed in little if any of his nonsense doesn't have all that much bearing on how much of it he believes now.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 5th August 2022 at 09:16 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:48 AM   #913
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Wasn't it Randi himself that said something to the effect of one of the problems in dealing with liars is how easily people who start off knowing they are lying can talk themselves into eventually believing (and truly believing it on a deep and honest level) their own b.s?

So yeah that at some point Alex Jones was most certainly just a grifter who believed in little if any of his nonsense doesn't have all that much bearing on how much of it he believes now.
I certainly think he believes that he fools his audience, not because they're idiots, but because he's a genius. And that this means he can fool everybody.

I mean, what was the point about lying about chewing gum in court.

Year 4 kids would be embarrassed by that level of excuse for it.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:54 AM   #914
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

The cap on punitive damages is rather galling.

The U.S. has significantly less oversight regulation than other industrialized nations and other liberal democracies. The regulatory philosophy in the U.S. contends that the threat of significant lawsuits from the users of defective products and services create the incentive for powerful entities to behave. It's a "market-driven" approach, as is everything else in the U.S. This approach is predicated on plaintiffs being able to recover significant punitive damages from malfeasants.

But since corporations hold all the power, including influence over lawmakers, they argue that they are big fat targets for nuisance lawsuits and that without statutory caps on punitive damages they'll be at the commercial mercy of juries awarding devastating settlements to every Hard-Luck Harry who sues them over a trifle. They argue that they are regulated enough already without having to suffer the purported abuse of market-driven sanctions. Juries are not told that the vast sums they award in punitive damages will be silently reduced to a pittance. So the excuse for lenient regulation has been effectively undermined by the fiction that they are being sued left and right without just cause.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 09:55 AM   #915
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Jones definitely lives in the fairytale he created for himself, with him against the NWO, personified by everyone who isn't actively supporting him. At the same time, he thinks that nothing is real until either he or someone else reported on it - hence his habit of referring to articles he himself told his staff to write.

At the core he doesn't believe that other people are real enough to experience suffering - a typical sociopath in other words.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 10:02 AM   #916
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

But I think it is still a win for the plaintiffs - good thing. Looks like it will be a win for future plaintiffs - good thing.

He will almost certainly end up paying a substantial amount of compensatory and punitive damages to someone - good thing.

That's the big hope for me. Sure, he's probably going to make back everything he has to pay out, because his followers are just that stupid. But, he'd probably make that money anyways.

One thing I'm sure of is that Jones would prefer to keep those millions of dollars, rather than having to pay them out and then grift them back again. That ****'s almost like work!

So maybe in the future, he'll at least contain his ******** to mouthing off about public figures like politicians and celebrities, and leave the everyday people who were just victims of crimes the **** alone. Even just that would be a victory.
Old 5th August 2022, 10:31 AM   #917
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Jesus this would be comical if it didn't involve so much legit suffering from innocent people.

"Breaking News: Alex Jones says he has no idea how credit cards applied for with the identities of dead Sandy Hook shooting victims wound up in his wallet."

"Breaking News: Alex Jones's Lawyer apologies for trying to call dead shooting victim to the stand to prove they were really murdered."

"Breaking News: Alex Jones claims he was just 'in character' when he dug up a school shooting victim and wore their face like a mask to prank their family."
I don't know if your being sarcastic and parodying Alex or if those things actually happened. But knowing Jones it is all to likely they did.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 11:16 AM   #918
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Why/How does Jones have medical records of Sandy Hook Families?
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 11:29 AM   #919
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
That's a very good question, the answer to which certainly won't make the big vein in my head pop.
Old 5th August 2022, 11:32 AM   #920
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
A question I was thinking too.

Doesn't sound like something that should be covered by Discovery.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories