IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th April 2022, 08:13 PM   #161
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Depp is winning, then it's brings a whole new meaning to the word "Pyrhhic Victory"

Edited by xjx388:  <SNIP>
Edited for Rule 11

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by xjx388; 28th April 2022 at 11:30 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2022, 10:11 PM   #162
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
The woman who was "obviously" in it for the money has donated her entire divorce settlement to the ACLU and Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
Looks like that didn't actually happen:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1894307.html
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 01:47 AM   #163
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Why am I not surprised.
Old 28th April 2022, 03:41 AM   #164
Matthew Best
Philosopher

It was a bit of a giveaway to say "has donated" when linking to a story that said "will donate".
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 08:40 AM   #165
IsThisTheLife
Muse

I wonder if Depp is smart enough to see that the very liberal, "progressive", feminist politics, and the climate it's created, that HE is completely on-board with (remember his joke on stage at music festival, about it being "a long time since an actor assassinated a president"?) is what got him in to this mess? Sadly, I doubt it.
Old 28th April 2022, 08:47 AM   #166
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Apparently Depp paid several hundred grand of the owed settlement directly to the nominated causes which made Heard go ballistic, threatening him with further legal action for another seven mill. Now THAT is funny.
Old 28th April 2022, 08:50 AM   #167
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I don't think nasty divorce proceedings began with liberal, "progressive" politics,
Rule 11; Rule 12

Last edited by xjx388; 28th April 2022 at 11:45 AM.
TheGoldcountry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 12:35 PM   #168
IsThisTheLife
Muse

When I stated that [Johnny Depp might want to recognise that] the 'political climate' is what enabled Amber Heard to make her fraudulent claims without any evidence, let alone proof, and have them simply accepted at face-value (sic) - am I wrong?

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 28th April 2022 at 12:38 PM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 12:45 PM   #169
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
I wonder if Depp is smart enough to see that the very liberal, "progressive", feminist politics, and the climate it's created, that HE is completely on-board with (remember his joke on stage at music festival, about it being "a long time since an actor assassinated a president"?) is what got him in to this mess? Sadly, I doubt it.
Amber Heard pretty much told him as much in the recordings - "Nobody will believe a white man of privilege is a victim of domestic violence". If he hasn't figured it out from this, then he don't learn good.
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 12:48 PM   #170
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Why would she lie? That you wouldn't believe her simply because she is a woman is shameful. :-) #BelieveAllWomenWithBPD
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 06:18 PM   #171
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Jayzus, I've been getting through some popcorn and a lot of yootoob. Got to hand it to this woman, Amber Heard - she's like something out of the Old Testament.
Old 28th April 2022, 07:13 PM   #172
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Edited for Rule 11; Rule 12

I repeat; both Heard and Depp are total trainwrecks.
Not sure how this has any bearing on anything. This trial is interesting in, and of, itself. Regardless of the personalities involved it is very interesting to watch this play out in the current social climate. It was equally interesting to watch the Jian Ghomeshi trial play out in Canada a few years back.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2022, 10:09 PM   #173
Wildy
Adelaidean

I'm listening to the trial right now. I'm about a week behind but I'm finding listening to the recordings being played during Depp's testimony hard to listen to.

I don't know if he's going to win this case, but based on the audio it's clear that Heard is an abuser.
Old 1st May 2022, 11:48 AM   #174
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

AFAICT, public opinion seems solidly on Depp's side. Depp and his legal team have managed to come across as authentic...whereas Heard's...have not. Notwithstanding that Heard and her team's defense of incidents like the finger injury ("He cut his own finger" vs the photos) or the bed soiling ("it was just a joke") have NOT been persuasive. Heard's team has yet to present the majority of their countersuit arguments, though, so we shall see....

Of course, the idea that the Feminist movement is somehow collectively responsible for Heard's behavior is beyond laughable.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2022, 12:44 PM   #175
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Of course, the idea that the Feminist movement is somehow collectively responsible for Heard's behavior is beyond laughable.
Only Heard is responsible for Heard's behavior.

But public reaction went through a few stages, as the allegations came out and the dispute progressed from personal to legal. We can certainly wonder what cultural values and social trends prompted, say, the early dismissal of the idea that Depp might be the victim, or that Heard might be a psychopath.

I don't think Feminism is to blame for the #believeallwomen epistemology of abuse allegations. That sentiment certainly came from somewhere, though, and seems to have been clearly harmful to Depp.

There are people even today who are on Heard's side in this. What's informing that? Not Feminism.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2022, 03:08 PM   #176
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

But public reaction went through a few stages, as the allegations came out and the dispute progressed from personal to legal. We can certainly wonder what cultural values and social trends prompted, say, the early dismissal of the idea that Depp might be the victim, or that Heard might be a psychopath.

I don't think Feminism is to blame for the #believeallwomen epistemology of abuse allegations. That sentiment certainly came from somewhere, though, and seems to have been clearly harmful to Depp.

There are people even today who are on Heard's side in this. What's informing that? Not Feminism.
This reminds me of an interview with Erin Pizzey I saw years ago. She set up the original battered women's shelters in the UK in the 70s. Effectively her conclusion was that the majority of the women she was dealing were violent themselves and were drawn to, or actively generated, the sort of relationships that landed them in the centre. Nobody wanted to know and she was driven out of the UK by threats of activist violence from the sisterhood.

Are you sure there aren't powerful incentives within the feminist movement to have women as the victims of men, and not a confused muddle of abuse going in both directions? It seems like would be a lot harder to do activism about a confused muddle.

Last edited by shuttlt; 1st May 2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 2nd May 2022, 06:53 AM   #177
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

Of course various social trends working in the reverse also contributed to the squelching or minimization of complaints against figures like Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Roman Polanski, Jimmy Savile, Jerry Sandusky...

People have been prone to presuming the veracity or virtue of those they personally esteem or identify with, regardless of evidence, since time immemorial. Problems of this sort in the Entertainment industry are exacerbated by the tabloid press and paparazzi independently of any creed beyond a desire for money. Not to mention issues with nepotism and blacklisting.

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 2nd May 2022 at 07:00 AM.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2022, 02:33 PM   #178
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Of course. Heard is an outlier, partner abuse by females is generally so rare it's not even a blip, not really worth considering.
Old 2nd May 2022, 02:43 PM   #179
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Of course. Heard is an outlier, partner abuse by females is generally so rare it's not even a blip, not really worth considering.
Your post is perfect example of double standards in society and how to trivialize and minimize problem, sweeping it under the rug by pretending it doesn't exist.

Thanks to underreporting, social stigma, refusal to acknowledge to outright charging male victim with domestic abuse and so on. All these factors it is then trivial to kill any evidence contrary to popular believe and fuel entire cycle further, while pretending there is no problem because "no evidence" and "so rare not worth considering".

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2022, 02:47 PM   #180
IsThisTheLife
Muse

"The idea" in question isn't that "[feminism is ] collectively responsible for Heard's behavior" but that she was not only able to get away with it but actually reverse the perp/victim status and get the full, unquestioning endorsement of the media and even a high court (although that was thanks to a bent judge) and this is a direct consequence of the feminist branch of liberalism and phenomena engendered by it such as #MePoo.
Old 2nd May 2022, 02:51 PM   #181
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Your post is perfect example of double standards in society and how to trivialize and minimize problem, sweeping it under the rug by pretending it doesn't exist.

Thanks to underreporting, social stigma, refusal to acknowledge to outright charging male victim with domestic abuse and so on. All these factors it is then trivial to kill any evidence contrary to popular believe and fuel entire cycle further, while pretending there is no problem because "no evidence" and "so rare not worth considering".
I forgot to add the <s>, </s> html. Partner abuse by females is rarely even acknowledged unless/until they actually kill someone.
Old 2nd May 2022, 02:58 PM   #182
IsThisTheLife
Muse

I should add that Heard is indeed an 'outlier', but only in as much that she doubled-down once too often, with the results we see unfolding.
Old 2nd May 2022, 03:02 PM   #183
shuttlt
Philosopher

I don't know about the US, but in the UK victim of crime surveys show low 30-mid 40% region of the amount of domestic violence victims that are male. 2020 was at the low end. Unfortunately this data seems to have stopped being collected.

Figure 1 is a good graphic in the below:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2020

According to this 1 in 3 women and w in 4 men have been victims of intimate partner violence.

https://ncadv.org/STATISTICS#:~:text...mate%20partner.

Clearly there are differences in the rates of different behaviour and all sorts of other aspects of this statistic.

There are a total of 78 spaces for male domestic violence victims in shelters out of about 4000 total places.

[Seen your "<s>" comment ;-)]

Last edited by shuttlt; 2nd May 2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2nd May 2022, 03:05 PM   #184
shuttlt
Philosopher

I should add that Heard is indeed an 'outlier', but only in as much that she doubled-down once too often, with the results we see unfolding.
I don't know. It seems pretty typical for somebody with her personality disorders. BPD runs at 1.4%. Histrionic personality disorder runs at 2.1% (if a quick Google is to be believed). I doubt her interesting qualities are that rare amongst husband batterers. The ones I have known have always used the strategy of going all in every time and daring you to call them. They use lying and gaslighting as a way of gaining control. The turd on the bed is a classic... you can't quite believe it's true... you can call her on it, but are people going to believe you? Even when you think you've got them, they always, always have some sort of out where "it was just a joke honey" to flip the script and make you the bad guy for embarrassing them. Taking them on is like taking on a judo black belt.... you think you've got them, and then bam you are on your back and having to apologise for bleeding on them and making them feel bad.

Taking them out is like taking out Keyser Soze, you had better not miss.

Last edited by shuttlt; 2nd May 2022 at 03:23 PM.
Old 2nd May 2022, 03:17 PM   #185
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I don't know about the US, but in the UK victim of crime surveys show low 30-mid 40% region of the amount of domestic violence victims that are male. 2020 was at the low end. Unfortunately this data seems to have stopped being collected.

Figure 1 is a good graphic in the below:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ndingmarch2020

According to this 1 in 3 women and w in 4 men have been victims of intimate partner violence.

https://ncadv.org/STATISTICS#:~:text...mate%20partner.

Clearly there are differences in the rates of different behaviour and all sorts of other aspects of this statistic.
Cruelty and abuse can take many forms, it doesn't need to be physical violence. Then there is false/malicious reporting and consequent miscarriages of justice - as we saw in the case discussed here. Heard had already blackmailed Depp out of well over $14M, and his career began to tank before Heard doubled-down a final time with her piece in the WaPo, co-authored with the (ironically named) American Civil Liberties Union. She was home free but we can all be thankful that her biblical avarice got the better of her.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 2nd May 2022 at 04:32 PM. Reason: "laughably" changed to "ironically". Kinda the same thing I guess.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2022, 03:39 PM   #186
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I don't know. It seems pretty typical for somebody with her personality disorders. BPD runs at 1.4%. Histrionic personality disorder runs at 2.1% (if a quick Google is to be believed). I doubt her interesting qualities are that rare amongst husband batterers. The ones I have known have always used the strategy of going all in every time and daring you to call them. They use lying and gaslighting as a way of gaining control. The turd on the bed is a classic... you can't quite believe it's true... you can call her on it, but are people going to believe you? Even when you think you've got them, they always, always have some sort of out where "it was just a joke honey" to flip the script and make you the bad guy for embarrassing them. Taking them on is like taking on a judo black belt.... you think you've got them, and then bam you are on your back and having to apologise for bleeding on them and making them feel bad.
I was pretty much making your point. To put what I was saying more bluntly, Heard is an outlier in her massively over-playing her hand and being exposed. in some of the YT coverage of the AH/JD trial, and other venues/platforms allowing comments, there are abundant completely authentic sounding accounts by male victims of gaslighting female 'BPD's and 'APDs' (ostracization, permanent estrangement from family and friends, shafting in court, careers and lives ruined).

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 2nd May 2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 2nd May 2022, 04:28 PM   #187
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Maybe this should be moved to Trials and Errors?

Just a thought.
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:22 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see a couple here are outraged that women have rights, and are not totally at the mercy of males. who, by right, should be their lords and masters.

This does not change my opinion the both Heard and Depp are really messed up people and anything either of them says should be taken with a ton of salt.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd May 2022 at 06:23 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:39 PM   #189
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see a couple here are outraged that women have rights, and are not totally at the mercy of males. who, by right, should be their lords and masters.
Something is seriously wrong with your perception, because nobody here holds a position even vaguely resembling that.

Quote:
This does not change my opinion the both Heard and Depp are really messed up people and anything either of them says should be taken with a ton of salt.
That's really not what's at question in this trial. There are two questions: did Depp physically abuse Heard, and did her accusations cause him monetary damages? Do you have any opinion on that, or are you just being judgmental about Depp and Heard the same way you're being judgmental about other posters here?

For Depp to win the lawsuit, the answers to these questions must be no and yes respectively. But for Depp to come out of this ahead in the eyes of the public, only the first question really matters. And it's looking pretty good for him on that count.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:35 PM   #190
Chanakya

Such a pity.

I don't much bother with celebrity "news" as a rule, and while I'd seen this thread here I hadn't read it. I happened, yesterday, to read a random article online that caught my eye, that said how AH had not only not been a victim but had actually been the one perpetrating the domestic violence thing herself. Just dipped in here, to this thread, and I'll shortly read around a bit more, but what a pity all of this is.

What I mean to say is, not that I'd so far ever bothered checking out the actual details of what's going on with those two, but my sympathies had always been with AH. First because she's the girl? And more so, if I'm to be honest, because she's so awesomely sexy and desirable --- and I mean that in a good way, that is to say, she "looks" so sweet and wholesome and honest, but I see now that what I really mean by that is that she looks hot. No wonder JD got the shaft, in the court of public opinion I mean to say --- what happened in court ought not be influenced by this kind of thing, although apparently it was? --- because, let's face it, he's a guy first of all, and second of all he's nowhere in AH's class in terms of looks, maybe a somewhat-seedy-looking-never-particularly-attractive-and-now-not-even-young-and-running-to-fat-on-top-of-that 4 or 5 to her 9 or 10? (I mean basis my personal opinion purely in terms of their looks alone, in terms of attractiveness alone; and his acting chops, and hers as well, are a separate thing altogether.)

But yeah, it's a thing, the wife beating up on the husband, and then claiming the exact opposite. I've myself seen more than one instance of the former, and one very clear instance of the latter. And invariably what goes against the guy is that people's first reaction is to burst out laughing, and their next reaction is to not believe the guy (at least not as far as the seriousness of the situation). Pity. Both that such things should happen; and more so that they should elicit this kind of reaction (and I count myself among those who were guilty of exactly of such a reaction, before I saw enough instances of this sort of thing myself among my own friends and in my own circle to now know better).
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:23 AM   #191
whoanellie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Something is seriously wrong with your perception, because nobody here holds a position even vaguely resembling that.

That's really not what's at question in this trial. There are two questions: did Depp physically abuse Heard, and did her accusations cause him monetary damages? Do you have any opinion on that, or are you just being judgmental about Depp and Heard the same way you're being judgmental about other posters here?

For Depp to win the lawsuit, the answers to these questions must be no and yes respectively. But for Depp to come out of this ahead in the eyes of the public, only the first question really matters. And it's looking pretty good for him on that count.
after 11+ days of testimony by his witnesses and 1/2 day of 1 witness on her behalf.
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 06:44 AM   #192
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
after 11+ days of testimony by his witnesses and 1/2 day of 1 witness on her behalf.
Yes, itís possible things could turn around for her.

But I donít think they will. The fact that Deppís team is the one who called certain witnesses, such as the ACLU lawyer and Heardís own former assistant, is itself pretty telling.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 11:46 AM   #193
IsThisTheLife
Muse

I've put on 2kg/4lb from all the popcorn I've eaten.

I highly recommend Ozzy Man Reviews YT channel for an over-view of the proceedings.

Dr. Shannon Curry; he, like me, found her specs going on was the push over the cliff. What a woman.
Old 4th May 2022, 12:04 PM   #194
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The muffin story was amazing!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:23 PM   #195
deadrose
Illuminator

I'm giggling over the cosmetics company tweeting that the makeup she claimed to have used to hide her bruises wasn't actually released until over a year later. Sounds as if she's burned more than a few bridges in the industry.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 12:27 PM   #196
IsThisTheLife
Muse

Originally Posted by dann View Post
The muffin story was amazing!
"... may I clarify what occurred so we can stop talking about The Muffins?" Oof!
Old 4th May 2022, 01:10 PM   #197
IsThisTheLife
Muse

The defence have produced an expert in psychology who, like Dr. Shannon Curry, has appraised Heard face-to-face over many hours.

There are a few problems with her testimony though.

- she hasn't restricted her testimony to her evaluation but has repeated, verbatim, Heard's allegations against Depp as given to her (hearsay).

- she always refers to victims of partner abuse as "she/her" and to perpetrators as "he/him/his", NEVER they/them/their.

Oops.

Last edited by IsThisTheLife; 4th May 2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 4th May 2022, 01:46 PM   #198
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

I forgot to add the <s>, </s> html. Partner abuse by females is rarely even acknowledged unless/until they actually kill someone.
Sorry. Those tags were really missing and gave me wrong idea about your post.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 02:20 PM   #199
IsThisTheLife
Muse

No apologies necessary.
Old 4th May 2022, 07:04 PM   #200
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I just heard Heard saying that going through this again is the worst she's felt in her life.

Not the abuse itself, then?
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events