IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 27th May 2022, 04:09 PM   #281
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 27,109
Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Depp is about to turn 60. I've looked at his imdb page and his career was on a downtrend already. While male actors keep leading roles for longer than women not many do so after 60, not in blockbuster films. Harrison Ford, and Sean Connery excepted. That said he's an A+ quality talented actor, and I've enjoyed his work long before he was a Disney Pirate. Looks like he has an interesting role in a French historical drama coming up.
Depp is one year younger than Tom Cruise, the star of the latest Summer Action Blockbuster called Top Gun: Marverick. So it's not entirely inconceivable to me.

Depp's lifestyle probably means that he hasn't aged quite as well as Cruise, who looks younger than his real age, and he's no longer a baby-face like like he once was, but he could play a detective or a gangster or that sort of role, like Pacino and Brando did in their later years. I mean, he already did that in fact, with Black Mass.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2022, 04:28 PM   #282
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 27,109
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What dogpiling? How is it any more sickening than the dogpiling on Kevin Spacey, or Harvey Weinstein? How is it worse than the dogpiling on Alison Mack?
Meh, it's the whole spectacle and cottage industry that has sprung up around this trial that I have found off-putting. Note that this is not a comment about the people involved, but about the spectators and on-lookers. Of which I am one, in a very minor sense, so I suppose I'm also pointing at myself. I just have the sense that we are seeing a modern version of the pillory. Someone being held up for ridicule and abuse by the mob. And comparisons with the likes of Weinstein and Spacey are a big stretch. Mack, I never heard of and don't recall noticing any dogpile at the time. But I probably wouldn't have found that to be entirely wholesome either. There's a reason why the pillory and the stocks were outlawed as cruel and unusual.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2022, 09:19 AM   #283
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Meh, it's the whole spectacle and cottage industry that has sprung up around this trial that I have found off-putting. Note that this is not a comment about the people involved, but about the spectators and on-lookers. Of which I am one, in a very minor sense, so I suppose I'm also pointing at myself. I just have the sense that we are seeing a modern version of the pillory. Someone being held up for ridicule and abuse by the mob. And comparisons with the likes of Weinstein and Spacey are a big stretch. Mack, I never heard of and don't recall noticing any dogpile at the time. But I probably wouldn't have found that to be entirely wholesome either. There's a reason why the pillory and the stocks were outlawed as cruel and unusual.
I get what you're saying, but I'm not overly concerned in this case. Not only because I think Heard is lying and made the whole thing up, but also because she really brought this on herself.

The smart thing to do, when Depp sued her, was to just defend the suit, not file a counter-suit, and not make up even more outrageous claims about what Depp supposedly did. Much of the spectacle of this trial was made possible by the counter-suit and her new claims. Defamation suits against public figures are generally pretty hard to win for the plaintiffs. Absent the counter-suit, they couldn't have brought in Dr. Curry to testify about what a nut job she is. Absent Heard commenting about Moss, they couldn't have brought in Moss. Absent Heard having submitted two versions of the same photo with one of them edited, or two identical photos claiming to be two different incidents, they couldn't have impeached her on the stand. There's so much less Depp's team could have done if they had kept it to a tight, limited defense, only on the basis of her TRO. They might have won that case, and even if they didn't, she wouldn't have come out looking nearly this bad.

But that wouldn't have satisfied Amber Heard, and so she had to strike back at Depp, opening the door to a circus where she's the clown. Amber Heard is Amber Heard's worst enemy.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2022, 10:13 AM   #284
theprestige
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 59,547
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Meh, it's the whole spectacle and cottage industry that has sprung up around this trial that I have found off-putting. Note that this is not a comment about the people involved, but about the spectators and on-lookers. Of which I am one, in a very minor sense, so I suppose I'm also pointing at myself. I just have the sense that we are seeing a modern version of the pillory. Someone being held up for ridicule and abuse by the mob. And comparisons with the likes of Weinstein and Spacey are a big stretch. Mack, I never heard of and don't recall noticing any dogpile at the time. But I probably wouldn't have found that to be entirely wholesome either. There's a reason why the pillory and the stocks were outlawed as cruel and unusual.
No, what we're seeing is the modern version of government transparency and a free press.

There was a court of public opinion in the time of the pillory. Calling out a public figure in print, and holding them up for public ridicule in print, was a thing that happened alongside the pillory. It was - and still is! - completely different from physically binding someone in a public place where they can be subjected to verbal and physical abuse without respite or retreat.

If I point and laugh at how stupid your idea is here (which I am doing), have I put you in a pillory in miniature? Of course not. The slings and arrows of outrageous invective you are suffering here are not at all the same type of thing as the physical imprisonment you complain about. And the slings and arrows of public disdain that Amber Heard now suffers are just the same phenomena writ large. Not a modern pillory at all.

We have vast masses of law and custom, that distinguish quite carefully and wisely between holding someone up for ridicule, and holding someone down for a beating. Where is the care and wisdom in your calling this a modern pillory? Nowhere.

Last edited by theprestige; 28th May 2022 at 10:15 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2022, 12:26 PM   #285
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,650
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Meh, it's the whole spectacle and cottage industry that has sprung up around this trial that I have found off-putting. Note that this is not a comment about the people involved, but about the spectators and on-lookers. Of which I am one, in a very minor sense, so I suppose I'm also pointing at myself. I just have the sense that we are seeing a modern version of the pillory. Someone being held up for ridicule and abuse by the mob. And comparisons with the likes of Weinstein and Spacey are a big stretch. Mack, I never heard of and don't recall noticing any dogpile at the time. But I probably wouldn't have found that to be entirely wholesome either. There's a reason why the pillory and the stocks were outlawed as cruel and unusual.

They are both professional actors, and they are both very well aware that there is an audience.They are both playing to that audience, trying to convince people that the other party behaved abominably.
It is fairly obvious who has already won that part of the trial.
What the spectators don't seem to understand is that they don't have to pick a side, one as the villain and the other one as the hero. Even if one of them is the victim, there is nothing heroic about that. Sometimes the victim is an *******, too, but the audience doesn't consider this and doesn't want to consider it.

It is not why people go see a movie or read a novel. It has surprised me how many comments on Amazon complain that the characters of a novel are all somewhat tainted. People want to be able to take sides, to root for the good guy. It's the whole point of the very American phenomenon of wrestling, for instance:
Quote:
"Faces" (the "good guys") are those whose actions are intended to encourage the audience to cheer, while "heels" (the "bad guys") act to draw the spectators' ire.
Professional wrestling (Wikipedia)

Even in the political landscape of the USA, it seems to be impossible for people to see that almost all politicians, even the ones they themselves are voting for, are in it for the money and nothing else.

Why would the way people view a case like this one be any different? It's hardwired into the American psyche to the extent that Americans confuse it with human nature.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 05:29 AM   #286
IsThisTheLife
Muse
 
IsThisTheLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 745
I *****g hate the corporate media and their perpetual half-truths and lying.

Apparently "Johnny Depp's fans" gave him standing ovations at a couple of gigs last weekend. This was during Jeff Beck's current tour and the first the audiences knew of his presence was when he walked on stage.

I hope people who are "informed" by these organs will have noted that they enthusiastically aided and abetted slandering Depp for years and they are not noted for retracting, let alone apologising for this kind of malfeasance.
__________________
"There is no sin except stupidity."
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 05:51 AM   #287
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Meh, it's the whole spectacle and cottage industry that has sprung up around this trial that I have found off-putting. Note that this is not a comment about the people involved, but about the spectators and on-lookers. Of which I am one, in a very minor sense, so I suppose I'm also pointing at myself. I just have the sense that we are seeing a modern version of the pillory. Someone being held up for ridicule and abuse by the mob. And comparisons with the likes of Weinstein and Spacey are a big stretch. Mack, I never heard of and don't recall noticing any dogpile at the time. But I probably wouldn't have found that to be entirely wholesome either. There's a reason why the pillory and the stocks were outlawed as cruel and unusual.
The whole media circus around this is quite incredible, and I suspect history will not look kindly on this gross spectacle on what amounts to Depp using the courts to lash out against an abused partner who dared speak out for herself.

I imagine the message sent to victims of domestic abuse, especially women, is quite clear. Heard's allegations of being abused are about as well documented as you could hope, including pictures of injuries, contemporaneous text conversations, and credible testimony from witnesses. If Heard can't be believed, no abuse victim can be. Depp's ulterior motivations for bringing this case which he absolutely knows he will not win could not be more transparent. A powerful man extracting a pound of flesh from a woman who spoke plainly about his abuse being received to thunderous applause.

At best Depp's hopeless defamation trial is showing that maybe Heard was also abusive, but it absolutely will not disprove the plain fact that Heard was abused (which is the heart of the defamation accusation). That won't stop the absolutely deranged public spectacle from treating the entire thing as a huge vindication for Depp.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st May 2022 at 05:55 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 06:27 AM   #288
IsThisTheLife
Muse
 
IsThisTheLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 745
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The whole media circus around this is quite incredible, and I suspect history will not look kindly on this gross spectacle on what amounts to Depp using the courts to lash out against an abused partner who dared speak out for herself.

I imagine the message sent to victims of domestic abuse, especially women, is quite clear. Heard's allegations of being abused are about as well documented as you could hope, including pictures of injuries, contemporaneous text conversations, and credible testimony from witnesses. If Heard can't be believed, no abuse victim can be. Depp's ulterior motivations for bringing this case which he absolutely knows he will not win could not be more transparent. A powerful man extracting a pound of flesh from a woman who spoke plainly about his abuse being received to thunderous applause.
Trolling? Or have you seen something everyone else has missed?
Quote:
At best Depp's hopeless defamation trial is showing that maybe Heard was also abusive, but it absolutely will not disprove the plain fact that Heard was abused (which is the heart of the defamation accusation). That won't stop the absolutely deranged public spectacle from treating the entire thing as a huge vindication for Depp.
You clearly don't get it. Whether or not the court finds in Depp's favour is completely moot. Everyone now has ready access to all the evidence (including much that wasn't admitted in this or the UK trial), only the pathological continue to believe the lies broadcast for Heard by the corporate media.
__________________
"There is no sin except stupidity."
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 06:35 AM   #289
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The whole media circus around this is quite incredible, and I suspect history will not look kindly on this gross spectacle on what amounts to Depp using the courts to lash out against an abused partner who dared speak out for herself.
You haven't actually paid attention to the trial, have you?

Quote:
Heard's allegations of being abused are about as well documented as you could hope
No, they are not. They are hardly documented at all.

Quote:
including pictures of injuries,
The pictures show more injury to Depp than to Heard. And she's been caught in multiple lies about what those pictures supposedly show. She's got one picture of her with a cut on her lip (which lots of things can cause), she's got a picture of her with a bruise on her face from her TRO hearing which could easily have been faked with makeup, and she's got a photo she edited which shows a bit of redness that could have come from resting her head on a table or similar innocuous causes. What's missing is what you normally get from ACTUAL violent abuse victims, like the photos from when Chris Brown punched Rihanna. Look it up, you can't hide bruises like that with a makeup kit.

Quote:
contemporaneous text conversations, and credible testimony from witnesses.

Heard's sister isn't credible, and nobody else ever saw anything. Depp also has no history of violence. But Heard does. She is the ONLY person in that relationship who has physically assaulted a former intimate partner.

Quote:
At best Depp's hopeless defamation trial is showing that maybe Heard was also abusive,
At best? No, Heard's abusiveness has been absolutely proven, by her own admission and multiple times. That's the minimum it's proven, not the most. Heard's own claims of abuse have fallen apart like a house of cards.

Quote:
but it absolutely will not disprove the plain fact that Heard was abused (which is the heart of the defamation accusation). That won't stop the absolutely deranged public spectacle from treating the entire thing as a huge vindication for Depp.
You have that backwards too. Exposing Heard's lies won't convince everyone, and you're a case in point. This is, in fact, a huge vindication for Depp. As it should be.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 06:36 AM   #290
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Trolling? Or have you seen something everyone else has missed?
Of course he hasn't. Chances are, he's read articles that characterize it that way, and he just believed them. After all, why would the press ever lie or misrepresent things?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 06:55 AM   #291
IsThisTheLife
Muse
 
IsThisTheLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 745
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Of course he hasn't. Chances are, he's read articles that characterize it that way, and he just believed them. After all, why would the press ever lie or misrepresent things?
I can't think of a comparable example of the corporate media losing control of 'the narrative' the way it has with this one (which brings me considerable satisfaction), but ST seems to trust them implicitly. Peculiar.
__________________
"There is no sin except stupidity."
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 07:14 AM   #292
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,535
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The whole media circus around this is quite incredible, and I suspect history will not look kindly on this gross spectacle on what amounts to Depp using the courts to lash out against an abused partner who dared speak out for herself.

I imagine the message sent to victims of domestic abuse, especially women, is quite clear. Heard's allegations of being abused are about as well documented as you could hope, including pictures of injuries, contemporaneous text conversations, and credible testimony from witnesses. If Heard can't be believed, no abuse victim can be. Depp's ulterior motivations for bringing this case which he absolutely knows he will not win could not be more transparent. A powerful man extracting a pound of flesh from a woman who spoke plainly about his abuse being received to thunderous applause.

At best Depp's hopeless defamation trial is showing that maybe Heard was also abusive, but it absolutely will not disprove the plain fact that Heard was abused (which is the heart of the defamation accusation). That won't stop the absolutely deranged public spectacle from treating the entire thing as a huge vindication for Depp.

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Trolling? Or have you seen something everyone else has missed?


You clearly don't get it. Whether or not the court finds in Depp's favour is completely moot. Everyone now has ready access to all the evidence (including much that wasn't admitted in this or the UK trial), only the pathological continue to believe the lies broadcast for Heard by the corporate media.


Actually here's an interesting question: If both the man and woman abuse each other, then, generally speaking, what kind of accommodation would be fair, both stand-alone as well as when seen as part of the larger social equation?

Basis what I've seen of late --- which isn't much, and I may be mistaken, absolutely --- Amber Heard comes across both as an abuser, as well as given to violence, as well as someone who'll lie when it suits her (I mean, her "synonyms"?!). On the other hand, Johnny Depp hardly comes across as some paragon, what with his clearly recorded disrespectful-to-the-extent-of-being-misogynistic comments to and/or about Amber Heard; not to mention his substance abuse, which may have led to his doing things that he genuinely does not remember.

Now on balance it is my personal (and entirely limited, and entirely fallible) opinion that Amber Heard wins the villain/vamp stakes by a wide margin; but, leaving that aside, and generally speaking, when both the man and the woman have "abused" each other, to some degree, then what ought to happen, ideally? The woman gets (legal) redressal, and not the man? Both do, in equal measure? Neither gets (legal) redressal? Both get (legal) redressal, in proportion with what they've suffered? But then if one side's "losses" are greater because their earning potential itself had been greater, and therefore also the losses they suffered, then what? These are some general questions that this trial throws up; that, I don't know to what extent this case will end up helping answer.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 07:23 AM   #293
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Actually here's an interesting question: If both the man and woman abuse each other, then, generally speaking, what kind of accommodation would be fair, both stand-alone as well as when seen as part of the larger social equation?

Basis what I've seen of late --- which isn't much, and I may be mistaken, absolutely --- Amber Heard comes across both as an abuser, as well as given to violence, as well as someone who'll lie when it suits her (I mean, her "synonyms"?!). On the other hand, Johnny Depp hardly comes across as some paragon, what with his clearly recorded disrespectful-to-the-extent-of-being-misogynistic comments to and/or about Amber Heard; not to mention his substance abuse, which may have led to his doing things that he genuinely does not remember.

Now on balance it is my personal (and entirely limited, and entirely fallible) opinion that Amber Heard wins the villain/vamp stakes by a wide margin; but, leaving that aside, and generally speaking, when both the man and the woman have "abused" each other, to some degree, then what ought to happen, ideally? The woman gets (legal) redressal, and not the man? Both do, in equal measure? Neither gets (legal) redressal? Both get (legal) redressal, in proportion with what they've suffered? But then if one side's "losses" are greater because their earning potential itself had been greater, and therefore also the losses they suffered, then what? These are some general questions that this trial throws up; that, I don't know to what extent this case will end up helping answer.
I'm not sure what you mean by legal redressal in this context.

Abusive relationships are often quite complicated, but this case is about defamation, not a messy divorce or restraining order case. From a legal perspective, the question is quite simple: was Heard ever abused by Depp?

This simple question is already why the UK case ended in failure for Depp, because it doesn't really matter how messy their relationship was or who was the most abusive. If Depp ever once abused Heard, which seems extremely hard for all but the most deranged to deny, the case is a loser. The UK has much more generous defamation laws, and even in that context Depp's case was a loser. There's no reason to believe the US case, which requires a higher burden for the accuser to meet, is going to end in victory for Depp.

Generally speaking I take an extremely jaundiced view of any person who uses the courts to harass people in hopeless cases, and often defamation cases are used for exactly that purpose. This seems a pretty clear example of a guaranteed losing case being dragged through the courts as a means of extracting a financial and public cost, rather than any good-faith attempt for legal recourse. In that regard, Depp is a real *******.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st May 2022 at 07:29 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 07:29 AM   #294
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 27,109
I think you are a little too confident if you claim that it's impossible for Depp to prevail in this case, but as I am not a lawyer, my opinion on this ain't worth much.

For starters, if it was truly that bad, then why did the judge allow it to go forward?

It would be highly irresponsible of a judge to not summarily dismiss a case that had no possible hope of prevailing, wasting valuable court time on a nuisance lawsuit.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 07:40 AM   #295
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I think you are a little too confident if you claim that it's impossible for Depp to prevail in this case, but as I am not a lawyer, my opinion on this ain't worth much.

For starters, if it was truly that bad, then why did the judge allow it to go forward?

It would be highly irresponsible of a judge to not summarily dismiss a case that had no possible hope of prevailing, wasting valuable court time on a nuisance lawsuit.
The burdens of summary judgement are rightly very high. There's a wide gap between cases that are extremely likely to lose and those that can be summarily dismissed without trial.

It's not like defamation laws don't have a long history of being used in bad-faith for exactly the purpose of being a nuisance. This path for abusing the legal system is so well understood that many states have explicit laws, called SLAPP laws, to hopefully tamp down on such behavior.

Depp's legal team successfully had the case heard in a Virginia court, which notably has weaker anti-SLAPP laws than California, where both Heard and Depp live.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st May 2022 at 07:45 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 08:01 AM   #296
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing
 
Puppycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 27,109
Here's the opinion of an actual lawyer:

Former LA lawyer says Johnny Depp may win trial due to Amber Heard’s past tweet

Quote:
Former LA District Attorney and legal analyst Emily D. Baker, who has been providing YouTube commentary on the widely-followed trial, admitted she was at first convinced neither Depp or Heard would win the case during an interview on the Not Skinny But Not Fat podcast recently.

However, she has changed her tune after one key detail in Amber Heard’s testimony, leading her to believe Depp may win the case.
. . .

Baker’s views on closing statements

Speaking on her YouTube channel, Baker explained why she didn’t think there was a “path to victory” for either party at the beginning of the trial, but surmised that a win for Depp would be plausible because of the tweet, calling it “the clearest path” to a win.

“The law and the op ed were not working for me well. And I was like ‘This is going to be very, very hard’,” she said.

“After seeing six weeks of this trial, I understand why they chose to take this to trial and I see that Johnny Depp has a potential to win.

“And that is a huge win, I think, for them because that wasn’t where I was at at the beginning of this case.

“So my verdict is if there’s a win, it’s that. I still think this jury could go with nobody wins, I still think this jury could hang. I never put that aside. I also don’t like betting on verdicts, I didn’t do that with my own verdicts.”
Ultimately she still hedges her bets, but she sees a possible victory for Depp, and not for Heard in her countersuit.

I'm not finding a lot of commentary from lawyers willing to make a concrete prediction.

A Lawyer Answers Your Questions About the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Trial

Quote:
How likely is that both lose?
It’s highly unlikely. They can't pick one side without sort of tarnishing the other. I've never seen a split decision where the jury just says they both lose. It's possible, but I don't think the jury would be taking their job incredibly seriously if that's what they do, because their job is to decide who is credible and who is not.
. . .

Who do you think is likely to win?
I think this is a true toss up. I would say that Depp has brought a very effective case in terms of rebutting the allegations, and that it really could come down to who is the better actor, in terms of who has put up a better performance and come across as most believable. I thought Depp answered the questions, whereas Heard was very combative with Depp's attorneys.

At the end of the day, it's his burden to knock down Heard's story to try and show it's not true. So I can very well see this going in Depp's favour in a way that it didn't in the UK, because he has presented that evidence. Kate Moss saying nothing happened is especially a problem for Heard's case, because Heard brought that up, and Moss rebuking it could be seen to undermine the integrity of Heard's story. But it could go either way.
And here's a lawyer who thinks that Heard is more likely to prevail:

Predictions for Johnny Depp vs. Amber Heard Defamation Trial

Quote:
Predictions on the Depp vs. Heard Defamation Verdict
I believe that the most likely outcome is that the jury will come back with a defense verdict in favor of Heard. Although public sentiment seems to be with Depp, there seems to be ample evidence that Depp was occasionally abusive to Heard. There is also evidence that Heard may have gotten physical with Depp on numerous occasions. But that doesn’t defeat Depp’s defamation claim.

Remember, Depp presented virtually the same legal claims in his case against The Sun tabloid in the UK. The legal standards for libel and defamation in Britain are much more favorable for plaintiffs, yet Depp still lost that case. Depp is facing a much tougher legal standard in Virginia. So there is little reason to think that the result will be any different.

One major difference between the UK case and the current case against Heard in Virginia is that the UK case was decided by a judge. The defamation case in Virginia will be decided by a jury. This may give Depp a ray of hope for a different outcome.
So I guess the experts are all over the place, and none of them seem to be very confident in predicting which side will win. You have one saying that she sees a path for Depp to win, although she was skeptical at the outset of the trial. Or they could both lose. Another says it's a 50-50 tossup, but he doesn't expect them to both lose, and a third who says that he thinks the most likely outcome is for Heard to win, because supposedly the UK case should have been easier to prove, but he sees a ray of hope for Depp since it is up to a jury rather than a judge.
__________________
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 08:19 AM   #297
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
This simple question is already why the UK case ended in failure for Depp, because it doesn't really matter how messy their relationship was or who was the most abusive. If Depp ever once abused Heard, which seems extremely hard for all but the most deranged to deny, the case is a loser.
Well, no. Heard's accusations included the claim of sexual abuse. And there's really no evidence for that at all. It hinges upon the credibility of the alleged victim, and she's thrown all of that away with repeated lies.

Quote:
The UK has much more generous defamation laws, and even in that context Depp's case was a loser.
There were so, so many problems with the UK case, both in terms of what was allowed into evidence and even a massive conflict of interest for the judge who should never have been allowed on the case. Using that as any kind of guide for either what actually happened or how this case resolve is completely unjustified.

Quote:
There's no reason to believe the US case, which requires a higher burden for the accuser to meet, is going to end in victory for Depp.
Oh yes there is. Again, you clearly haven't been paying attention to the actual trial.

Quote:
This seems a pretty clear example of a guaranteed losing case being dragged through the courts as a means of extracting a financial and public cost, rather than any good-faith attempt for legal recourse. In that regard, Depp is a real *******.
Juries are fickle creatures and so I can't guarantee the outcome, but anyone who watched that trial can tell that Depp has a very good chance at winning. You're in deep, deep denial.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 08:38 AM   #298
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

...

Juries are fickle creatures and so I can't guarantee the outcome,

...
I don't agree with much else you say, but this is a good point. Juries do whatever they want, law be damned, sometimes. I don't think that actually winning the trial is really that important to Depp, but I suppose anything is possible when it comes to jury trials.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 08:44 AM   #299
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,258
Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So I guess the experts are all over the place, and none of them seem to be very confident in predicting which side will win. You have one saying that she sees a path for Depp to win, although she was skeptical at the outset of the trial. Or they could both lose. Another says it's a 50-50 tossup, but he doesn't expect them to both lose, and a third who says that he thinks the most likely outcome is for Heard to win, because supposedly the UK case should have been easier to prove, but he sees a ray of hope for Depp since it is up to a jury rather than a judge.
And juries are susceptible to likeability. I was on a jury for an attempted murder case and the defense was quite successful in bringing out how unlikeable the victim was. Ultimately it didn't make a difference in that case because the defendant took the stand against his own attorney's advice and proceeded to torpedo his own defence, but if it had been a defamation/libel case it would have been an effective strategy. From what I've read of this case, Heard and her attorney are not making themselves likeable, and that does matter to a jury.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 08:46 AM   #300
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 9,315
I would not be surprised if Depp loses (in his case against Heard for $50 million), but I'd be very surprised if Heard wins (in her counter-suit for $100 million). I really don't think the jury is going to want to reward her after all that's come out in the trial, but they might not want to reward him either.

But, in a sense, Depp has already won. He appeared on stage with Jeff Beck the last couple of nights and got a standing ovation just for being there. That's got to seem like a win to him.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 09:15 AM   #301
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't agree with much else you say, but this is a good point. Juries do whatever they want, law be damned, sometimes. I don't think that actually winning the trial is really that important to Depp, but I suppose anything is possible when it comes to jury trials.
I disagree, I think getting a verdict in his favor will be very significant for him. The dollar amount not so much, but even a $1 verdict in his favor is still vindication, and studios interested in hiring him can use that as justification.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 09:15 AM   #302
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,535
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by legal redressal in this context.

Abusive relationships are often quite complicated, but this case is about defamation, not a messy divorce or restraining order case.

That's true.

I was thinking in general terms, so that I suppose what I said should rightly have been specified as applying to regular marital issues, including divorce, as well as attendant civil and criminal liability. After all regular folks don't generally think to file defamation charges against one another. Agreed, this defamation thing is different than that.


Quote:
From a legal perspective, the question is quite simple: was Heard ever abused by Depp?

This simple question is already why the UK case ended in failure for Depp, because it doesn't really matter how messy their relationship was or who was the most abusive. If Depp ever once abused Heard, which seems extremely hard for all but the most deranged to deny, the case is a loser. The UK has much more generous defamation laws, and even in that context Depp's case was a loser. There's no reason to believe the US case, which requires a higher burden for the accuser to meet, is going to end in victory for Depp.

Generally speaking I take an extremely jaundiced view of any person who uses the courts to harass people in hopeless cases, and often defamation cases are used for exactly that purpose. This seems a pretty clear example of a guaranteed losing case being dragged through the courts as a means of extracting a financial and public cost, rather than any good-faith attempt for legal recourse. In that regard, Depp is a real *******.

Actually, basis what (little) I've seen I do think that JD was right in filing the defamation case, not for so much for the money but to clear his name; and that AH deserves what's coming to her. But like I said, I don't think JD is any kind of a paragon either, and may well have indulged in some abuse himself, although in my (limited) view probably far less than AH did. But I'm not going to argue that out, because I've only very sketchily followed this case, so it's quite possible my understanding on this is flawed. Let's see how this plays out; and meantime I'll be following the case (if only sketchily), and just look at what others (including you) are saying. That said, my (admittedly limited) understanding of the case leads me to see this differently than you. Agreed, JD is without doubt a collection of asterisks, whose disrespectful comments that I've heard played in Court cross well into the misogyny line, and who may well have gotten physical as well when inebriated; but AH, as far as I can see, is a larger collection of asterisks ---- if a hot one (or at least, she would have been, hot I mean, had her hygiene been more conventional), not that her hotness matters to the case of course.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 09:21 AM   #303
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post




Actually, basis what (little) I've seen I do think that JD was right in filing the defamation case, not for so much for the money but to clear his name; and that AH deserves what's coming to her. But like I said, I don't think JD is any kind of a paragon either, and may well have indulged in some abuse himself, although in my (limited) view probably far less than AH did. But I'm not going to argue that out, because I've only very sketchily followed this case, so it's quite possible my understanding on this is flawed. Let's see how this plays out; and meantime I'll be following the case (if only sketchily), and just look at what others (including you) are saying. That said, my (admittedly limited) understanding of the case leads me to see this differently than you. Agreed, JD is without doubt a collection of asterisks, whose disrespectful comments that I've heard played in Court cross well into the misogyny line, and who may well have gotten physical as well when inebriated; but AH, as far as I can see, is a larger collection of asterisks ---- if a hot one (or at least, she would have been, hot I mean, had her hygiene been more conventional), not that her hotness matters to the case of course.
It is Depp's defamation claim that he never abused Heard and calls her claims a hoax. I don't see how you can square this circle. Either Depp never abused Heard, or the defamation claim is bunk. I don't see any viable middle ground.

This was also the thrust of his lawsuit against the UK tabloid that labeled him a wife beater, which he lost.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 09:45 AM   #304
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,535
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It is Depp's defamation claim that he never abused Heard and calls her claims a hoax. I don't see how you can square this circle. Either Depp never abused Heard, or the defamation claim is bunk. I don't see any viable middle ground.

This was also the thrust of his lawsuit against the UK tabloid that labeled him a wife beater, which he lost.

By "abuse" I meant his unarguably misogynistic insults directed to and/or at Amber, that were played in Court. Verbal abuse, not physical. But then again, someone who habitually passes out when abusing drugs and alcohol is likely enough to do stuff when under the influence, that he may not even remember ---- but of course, that's up to Amber to prove in court. Otherwise from what I gather he didn't actually physically beat up on her while in possession of his senses --- which she apparently was given to doing.

Agreed again, if AH's team can indeed show physical abuse (on JD's part), then obviously the defamation claim falls flat. But they haven't actually been able to, is my impression?
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 09:59 AM   #305
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
By "abuse" I meant his unarguably misogynistic insults directed to and/or at Amber, that were played in Court. Verbal abuse, not physical. But then again, someone who habitually passes out when abusing drugs and alcohol is likely enough to do stuff when under the influence, that he may not even remember ---- but of course, that's up to Amber to prove in court. Otherwise from what I gather he didn't actually physically beat up on her while in possession of his senses --- which she apparently was given to doing.

Agreed again, if AH's team can indeed show physical abuse (on JD's part), then obviously the defamation claim falls flat. But they haven't actually been able to, is my impression?
No, it's Depp's burden to prove she lied. The standards in the US for defamation are pretty onerous for the accuser. The benefit of the doubt goes to Heard, assuming a jury actually follows the law.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st May 2022 at 10:06 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:02 AM   #306
whoanellie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,083
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The whole media circus around this is quite incredible, and I suspect history will not look kindly on this gross spectacle on what amounts to Depp using the courts to lash out against an abused partner who dared speak out for herself.

I imagine the message sent to victims of domestic abuse, especially women, is quite clear. Heard's allegations of being abused are about as well documented as you could hope, including pictures of injuries, contemporaneous text conversations, and credible testimony from witnesses. If Heard can't be believed, no abuse victim can be. Depp's ulterior motivations for bringing this case which he absolutely knows he will not win could not be more transparent. A powerful man extracting a pound of flesh from a woman who spoke plainly about his abuse being received to thunderous applause.

At best Depp's hopeless defamation trial is showing that maybe Heard was also abusive, but it absolutely will not disprove the plain fact that Heard was abused (which is the heart of the defamation accusation). That won't stop the absolutely deranged public spectacle from treating the entire thing as a huge vindication for Depp.
I largely agree with what you say here, ST. While Depp has clearly won the PR battle, neither has come across well after 6 weeks of dirty laundry airing. I have no idea what the jury will do but a victory in court for Depp will send a very strong and very wrong message to any victim of domestic abuse.

Last edited by whoanellie; 31st May 2022 at 10:04 AM.
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:21 AM   #307
IsThisTheLife
Muse
 
IsThisTheLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 745
An example of the kind of MSM/corporate media/"liberal" crapola that "informs" certain people (from Vox - it's a doozy);

Why the Depp-Heard trial is so much worse than you realize

(Why the MSM/corporate media is so much worse than you realise).
__________________
"There is no sin except stupidity."
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:33 AM   #308
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
No, it's Depp's burden to prove she lied. The standards in the US for defamation are pretty onerous for the accuser. The benefit of the doubt goes to Heard, assuming a jury actually follows the law.
The burden of proof is indeed on Depp, but it doesn't need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, only by a preponderance of evidence. And given that Heard was caught in multiple lies in court, I don't think it's much of a stretch for a jury to conclude she lied in her op ed either.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:34 AM   #309
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
I largely agree with what you say here, ST. While Depp has clearly won the PR battle, neither has come across well after 6 weeks of dirty laundry airing. I have no idea what the jury will do but a victory in court for Depp will send a very strong and very wrong message to any victim of domestic abuse.
This is a garbage argument. If you lie about abuse, being called out for that lie isn't the wrong message. You're trying to short-circuit having to argue that Heard told the truth, by appealing to hypothetical harm to others. But that doesn't suffice. Her accusations have to stand on their own. But they don't. They crumble under scrutiny. She's a liar. She perjured herself on the stand. There's really no uncertainty about that.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 31st May 2022 at 10:36 AM.
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:39 AM   #310
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,535
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
No, it's Depp's burden to prove she lied. The standards in the US for defamation are pretty onerous for the accuser. The benefit of the doubt goes to Heard, assuming a jury actually follows the law.

That seems a bit weird. How can you prove it that you did not hit someone? I mean, I've no idea about how the law works there, no doubt you're right. But how does one even do that, prove a negative?


eta: oh, us you said. i thought you meant uk. anyway, either way.

Last edited by Chanakya; 31st May 2022 at 10:40 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:47 AM   #311
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
That seems a bit weird. How can you prove it that you did not hit someone? I mean, I've no idea about how the law works there, no doubt you're right. But how does one even do that, prove a negative?
You don't prove it, not in a mathematical sense. Rather, you establish likelihood. Did anyone see you do it? Did anyone see the aftermath? Is this the sort of thing you've done to anyone else? Does the person claiming it lie about this sort of thing? You collect a bunch of circumstantial evidence, and then the jury decides what's more likely.

And the circumstantial evidence stacks up very strongly in Depp's favor. There's only one witness claiming to have seen the abuse (Whitney Heard), lots of witnesses claiming it never happened, lots of evidence of stuff OTHER than physical abuse but almost no evidence of physical abuse, no history of past abuse by Depp, a history of past abuse by Heard, and most damning of all, a history of lying and faking evidence by Heard including demonstrated lies and fake evidence on the witness stand. It would be very, very easy for a jury to find for Depp under these circumstances. They aren't guaranteed to, but it wouldn't be a surprise at all if they did.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 10:51 AM   #312
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
That seems a bit weird. How can you prove it that you did not hit someone? I mean, I've no idea about how the law works there, no doubt you're right. But how does one even do that, prove a negative?


eta: oh, us you said. i thought you meant uk. anyway, either way.
If you cant prove it, you shouldn't be suing. Nobody made Depp bring this lawsuit, and he easily could have called Heard a liar or otherwise disputed the claims without suing.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 11:05 AM   #313
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,535
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If you cant prove it, you shouldn't be suing. Nobody made Depp bring this lawsuit, and he easily could have called Heard a liar or otherwise disputed the claims without suing.

Not to beat this to death, and I'm not doubting what you so confidently state is the legal requirement to prove defamation. But this simply doesn't make sense to me, from a common sense perspective. Because if this is actually what the law asks for, then no one can ever file a defamation suit! If you've lived with someone for a year or two or more, then how is it even possible, even theoretically possible, to prove that you've not hit them?


(Okay, maybe over a short period of a day, or maybe a week, it might be possible. Simply by being able to account for your presence for every minute of every day, via CCTV maybe, or maybe by showing pics from every single day sans bruises, or something like that. -------- Although, wait, even then how do you prove you haven't hit them and bruised them under the clothing. Nah, this sounds ...weird.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 11:09 AM   #314
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Not to beat this to death, and I'm not doubting what you so confidently state is the legal requirement to prove defamation.
ST has said very little about what the burden of proof is, and what he has said isn't very useful in understanding it. He is correct that the "burden of proof" lies with the plaintiff, in the sense that the plaintiff needs to show something. But what you're really asking for isn't the burden of proof, but the standard of proof. And for a civil trial, including defamation, it's "preponderance of evidence". This is a much lower standard of proof than for criminal trials where the standard is "beyond reasonable doubt". What makes defamation trials generally difficult isn't the standard of proof, but the elements of the offense, ie, the things you need to show in order to win.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 11:15 AM   #315
SuburbanTurkey
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Null
Posts: 15,479
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Not to beat this to death, and I'm not doubting what you so confidently state is the legal requirement to prove defamation. But this simply doesn't make sense to me, from a common sense perspective. Because if this is actually what the law asks for, then no one can ever file a defamation suit! If you've lived with someone for a year or two or more, then how is it even possible, even theoretically possible, to prove that you've not hit them?


(Okay, maybe over a short period of a day, or maybe a week, it might be possible. Simply by being able to account for your presence for every minute of every day, via CCTV maybe, or maybe by showing pics from every single day sans bruises, or something like that. -------- Although, wait, even then how do you prove you haven't hit them and bruised them under the clothing. Nah, this sounds ...weird.)
Beats me. I don't think defamation is a useful tool for many circumstances, least of all sorting through the dirty laundry of an extremely toxic relationship. Fortunately this is the kind of stunt that is really only accessible to people with enough money to pay lawyers for prolonged, tedious trials.

I would agree that responding to claims of being a domestic abuser is indeed quite difficult. I don't see why long-shot defamation cases should be a solution, nor why standards should be lowered to make it easier.

Depp easily could have mirrored Heard's move and published some opinion piece or whatever in any publication that would have him, and I imagine a decent segment of the population would have found his explanation or accusations credible. Suing strikes me as a very petty and vindictive move, but I suppose I should withhold judgement until the jury makes their decision.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 11:19 AM   #316
whoanellie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,083
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
This is a garbage argument. If you lie about abuse, being called out for that lie isn't the wrong message. You're trying to short-circuit having to argue that Heard told the truth, by appealing to hypothetical harm to others. But that doesn't suffice. Her accusations have to stand on their own. But they don't. They crumble under scrutiny. She's a liar. She perjured herself on the stand. There's really no uncertainty about that.
Depp and his witnesses told multiple lies. Focusing on Heard without critically looking at Depp is not fair.

Last edited by whoanellie; 31st May 2022 at 11:22 AM.
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 11:34 AM   #317
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
Depp and his witnesses told multiple lies.
Elaborate.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 12:22 PM   #318
whoanellie
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,083
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Elaborate.
I'd start with Depp accusing Heard's attorney of writing texts that came from Depp's phone.
whoanellie is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 12:49 PM   #319
figarot
Muse
 
figarot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 677
It was silly for Johnny to think anyone believes him when he says he never took enough MDMA for it to have any effect.
figarot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2022, 12:57 PM   #320
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,742
Originally Posted by whoanellie View Post
I'd start with Depp accusing Heard's attorney of writing texts that came from Depp's phone.
That's... not what he said. He wasn't claiming that they wrote the texts. He was using that possibility as a hypothetical to make the point that he had no idea of the provenance of certain text messages. His ACTUAL claim is that he didn't write the texts.

Was he lying that he didn't write the texts in question? Possibly. But that hasn't been proven.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.