IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Old 28th July 2022, 05:35 AM   #2281
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Holy ****, i just had a crazy thought!

What if snippets that people post on the internet donít actually have a one-to-one correspondence to the actual physical world?!

What if sometimes people arenít even who they claim to be?

What if sore feelings and hyperbolic language actually exist?!
My god, we would have to navigate the internet acting as though humans really do act like humans! Itís all a Philip K. Dick novel!
Yeah, the biggest proponents of "cancel culture" in this thread either want it to exist because "haha lookit them smarty libs" or because they really seem to have no idea how humans interact.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2022, 05:54 AM   #2282
wareyin
Philosopher

Oh, no, those libs got a bridge to be cancelled, too! The 6th Street Viaduct was cancelled less than 18 days after it opened due to workers collective lesbian woke terf podcast cannibalism!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2022, 06:44 AM   #2283
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Or, and stay with me here because this might just be a crazy concept: LoTT's claims of Doc Marie's workers' issues might just not have been entirely accurate. And maybe not being able to find anything outside of LoTT about those issues isn't really good evidence that LoTT didn't fabricate most if not all of it.
The workers collective set their Instagram to private and deleted their video. The revolution will not be televised.

Quote:
Not gonna bother giving them the clicks. Did everyone clap at the end? Did the marine force the atheist teacher to convert?
See what I mean about power? Just by telling you where the video is mirrored you've deprived yourself of this wondrous story about a whole classroom of second graders who fought back against gender oppression and inspired you to mock this brave teacher and her heartfelt video.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2022, 06:45 AM   #2284
Stout
Illuminator

Oh, no, those libs got a bridge to be cancelled, too! The 6th Street Viaduct was cancelled less than 18 days after it opened due to workers collective lesbian woke terf podcast cannibalism!
That's not cancel culture, that's straight up government oppression of the downtrodden street racers, bridge climbers and Instagram poseurs.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2022, 07:03 AM   #2285
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
The workers collective set their Instagram to private and deleted their video. The revolution will not be televised.
Wait, people didn't like LoTT mischaracterising and/or fabricating their story so they went private? Oh noes!!!

Can you tell me which one was cancelled, here? The one who was deprived of using someone else's image and name to promote an agenda (LoTT), or the ones who chose to stop allowing LoTT to promote his/her/their agenda at the expense of "workers collective"?

See what I mean about power? Just by telling you where the video is mirrored you've deprived yourself of this wondrous story about a whole classroom of second graders who fought back against gender oppression and inspired you to mock this brave teacher and her heartfelt video.
Meh, my drunk racist uncle used to love to forward stuff like that. Every time anyone took the effort to look into it, it was just another "and the whole class stood up and clapped" stupid fiction. When the drunk racist who died years ago was doing it, it wasn't edgy, and it hasn't gotten any more "oooh, burn" since them.
Old 28th July 2022, 07:04 AM   #2286
wareyin
Philosopher

That's not cancel culture, that's straight up government oppression of the downtrodden street racers, bridge climbers and Instagram poseurs.
It's just as much cancel culture as a podcast breaking up, tho.
Old 28th July 2022, 07:21 AM   #2287
Stout
Illuminator

Wait, people didn't like LoTT mischaracterising and/or fabricating their story so they went private? Oh noes!!!

Can you tell me which one was cancelled, here? The one who was deprived of using someone else's image and name to promote an agenda (LoTT), or the ones who chose to stop allowing LoTT to promote his/her/their agenda at the expense of "workers collective"?
Leaving LoTT as the only chronicler of events. Way to stick it to the man, revolutionary workers. It was the bar, Doc Marie's that was cancelled.

Quote:
Meh, my drunk racist uncle used to love to forward stuff like that. Every time anyone took the effort to look into it, it was just another "and the whole class stood up and clapped" stupid fiction. When the drunk racist who died years ago was doing it, it wasn't edgy, and it hasn't gotten any more "oooh, burn" since them.
Your uncle used to share videos of teachers celebrating their victories I the gender revolution? I suppose there's a chance the teacher could be a fake
Old 28th July 2022, 07:25 AM   #2288
wareyin
Philosopher

Leaving LoTT as the only chronicler of events. Way to stick it to the man, revolutionary workers. It was the bar, Doc Marie's that was cancelled.
But you said it was open again?? So...nothing was cancelled, but this is a great example of cancel culture?

Your uncle used to share videos of teachers celebrating their victories I the gender revolution? I suppose there's a chance the teacher could be a fake
Oh wow, you just keep on implying that LoTT doesn't write anything at all when presenting these stories.
Old 28th July 2022, 08:11 AM   #2289
Stout
Illuminator

But you said it was open again?? So...nothing was cancelled, but this is a great example of cancel culture?
It just might be, it's no longer labeled temporarily closed on google however their Instagram, the one where we're supposed to check for updates is dead in the water.

Quote:
Oh wow, you just keep on implying that LoTT doesn't write anything at all when presenting these stories.
By and large, it's a Twitter account. You'd know this if you did any research.

Last edited by Stout; 28th July 2022 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Format
Old 28th July 2022, 08:36 AM   #2290
wareyin
Philosopher

It just might be, it's no longer labeled temporarily closed on google however their Instagram, the one where we're supposed to check for updates is dead in the water.
Oh, noes, because Instagram accounts are always where I get my info on whether a business is open when I'm looking from another country.

By and large, it's a Twitter account. You'd know this if you did any research.
In my experience, twits who use twitter tend to write things in their tweets. YMMV
Old 28th July 2022, 11:51 AM   #2291
Stout
Illuminator

Oh, noes, because Instagram accounts are always where I get my info on whether a business is open when I'm looking from another country.
It's a new world now gramps. Every small business needs a robust social media presence and should have a designated social media manager. Social media would be, by far the best place for Doc Marie's to post their daily drink specials and pictures of hot lesbians. Without Instagram you'd have no way of knowing they have a drag brunch and you'd miss out on it.

Quote:
In my experience, twits who use twitter tend to write things in their tweets. YMMV
Yes, Twitterers tweet, point being you can click on the link to the teacher video without having to worry about LoTT making a dime off of you. Had you scrolled through their Twitter you would have found out that as we speak, Media Matters is trying to get LoTT's Shopify account cancelled. You may even have the opportunity to jump right in and help that attempted cancellation out. Get yourself a LoTT coffee mug first because if the cancellation is successful, those things might just turn out to be eBay gold to your grandchildren.
Old 28th July 2022, 11:59 AM   #2292
wareyin
Philosopher

It's a new world now gramps. Every small business needs a robust social media presence and should have a designated social media manager. Social media would be, by far the best place for Doc Marie's to post their daily drink specials and pictures of hot lesbians. Without Instagram you'd have no way of knowing they have a drag brunch and you'd miss out on it.
Maybe that's how they do it in your country, person I'd wager is at least as old as I am, but Instagram isn't even on the radar of any of the 4 bars within walking distance of where I'm sitting right now/downtown Atlanta right by the largest University (by student body) in the state.

Yes, Twitterers tweet, point being you can click on the link to the teacher video without having to worry about LoTT making a dime off of you. Had you scrolled through their Twitter you would have found out that as we speak, Media Matters is trying to get LoTT's Shopify account cancelled. You may even have the opportunity to jump right in and help that attempted cancellation out. Get yourself a LoTT coffee mug first because if the cancellation is successful, those things might just turn out to be eBay gold to your grandchildren.
Wait, you seem to be waffling here. Did LoTT simply repost stuff other people shared without any video editing or commentary by LoTT whatsoever? Because if that's the case, why the **** would anybody care about either their twitter account or their merch?
Old 28th July 2022, 12:32 PM   #2293
Stout
Illuminator

Maybe that's how they do it in your country, person I'd wager is at least as old as I am, but Instagram isn't even on the radar of any of the 4 bars within walking distance of where I'm sitting right now/downtown Atlanta right by the largest University (by student body) in the state.
First bar I came across in Atlanta. Maybe an old bar with an established clientele might not need a social media presence and are content to live in the dinosaur age but any bar trying to attract new clientele is shooting themselves in the foot.

Quote:
Wait, you seem to be waffling here. Did LoTT simply repost stuff other people shared without any video editing or commentary by LoTT whatsoever? Because if that's the case, why the **** would anybody care about either their twitter account or their merch?
That's what I've been saying all along, they just barf up other people's content, it's their whole shtick, it even says so right at the top of their twitter. " All videos belong to their respective owners". Why would anybody want an aggregating site like eBaum's World when you can just go out and spend hours finding the content on your own. Why for convenience and lols while you're waiting for your vegan burger patties to cook of course. I can't speak as to why anybody would want to buy their merchandise. Wear it to a MAGA rally maybe?
Old 28th July 2022, 12:41 PM   #2294
wareyin
Philosopher

First bar I came across in Atlanta. Maybe an old bar with an established clientele might not need a social media presence and are content to live in the dinosaur age but any bar trying to attract new clientele is shooting themselves in the foot.
Exactly how new do you think Park Bar is? Exactly how big do you think Atlanta is? Or how many bars do you think are here? You found...one? Mighty impressive.

And if you think downtown in a College area is all "old bar with established clientele" then you've never been to a large downtown or large college area.

That's what I've been saying all along, they just barf up other people's content, it's their whole shtick, it even says so right at the top of their twitter. " All videos belong to their respective owners". Why would anybody want an aggregating site like eBaum's World when you can just go out and spend hours finding the content on your own. Why for convenience and lols while you're waiting for your vegan burger patties to cook of course. I can't speak as to why anybody would want to buy their merchandise. Wear it to a MAGA rally maybe?
So now we're back to "they don't comment at all on their own tweets"? Can you make up your mind?
Old 28th July 2022, 01:55 PM   #2295
Stout
Illuminator

Exactly how new do you think Park Bar is? Exactly how big do you think Atlanta is? Or how many bars do you think are here? You found...one? Mighty impressive.

And if you think downtown in a College area is all "old bar with established clientele" then you've never been to a large downtown or large college area.
Like I said, it was the first bar I came across. Wait...How did we get here. Oh Yea, you were trying to downplay the importance of social media in business marketing for some reason. You wouldn't care about it but many people do. To lots of people social media is the internet and if s business can do without it then more power to them...but not many do without.

Quote:
So now we're back to "they don't comment at all on their own tweets"? Can you make up your mind?
The words you used were "video editing". Do you think those videos are edited? I guess there's no way you'd know is there, bring scared giving the site clicks and all. What LoTT doesn't do is give the original source of their mirrored videos, probably to protect those accounts from getting dog piled but hey, if someone makes a video and leaved they're ownership information in, then that's their problem.

So what if they comment or give the video a title. You'd have to point out where they are falsifying the contents of the video they linked to to make that worth anything.
Old 28th July 2022, 05:43 PM   #2296
Carlotta
Muse

You really have to admire the power LoTT have eked out for themselves, the power to completely cancel earnest progressives who've put their content out there, strictly by mirroring that content. The workers at Doc Marie's? Completely erased, their existence and issues completely wiped off the board.

Or take this teacher. Moved to tears that every single child in her second grade class changed their pronouns once one child did. All of them, misgendered by their parents. Mirrored by LoTT, that scary site but without that site we never would have know such a miracle had occurred. You can than me later.
Oh my, they would have been moved to tears by my third grade class, way back in the 60s, after having a kiddy biography of Helen Keller read to us, half of us were being led around the playground by our best friend with our eyes closed! When kids hear about a new or different concept, they get into it. It's a way of learning and thinking about things. Imagine that!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2022, 05:00 AM   #2297
wareyin
Philosopher

Like I said, it was the first bar I came across. Wait...How did we get here. Oh Yea, you were trying to downplay the importance of social media in business marketing for some reason. You wouldn't care about it but many people do. To lots of people social media is the internet and if s business can do without it then more power to them...but not many do without.
It's so cute how you're clinging to the idea that if a bar doesn't have instagram it's doomed to failure, despite only being aware of 2 bars in all of America that have (or had) an Instagram account. Sure, Instagram is what makes or breaks a bar.

The words you used were "video editing". Do you think those videos are edited? I guess there's no way you'd know is there, bring scared giving the site clicks and all. What LoTT doesn't do is give the original source of their mirrored videos, probably to protect those accounts from getting dog piled but hey, if someone makes a video and leaved they're ownership information in, then that's their problem.

So what if they comment or give the video a title. You'd have to point out where they are falsifying the contents of the video they linked to to make that worth anything.
I did use the words "video editing", as well as the word "commentary". It's a shame your comprehension stopped at the the word "or" in between them.

I'm "scared" of going to LoTT just as much as I'm "scared" of reading Weekly World News: not at all, it's simply drivel that's not worth my time. But as you're enamored with this particular video about kids learning about pronouns, can you explain to the rest of us how it's Cancel Culture? And dear god please let it be better than the existing examples you guys have of "well, the bar temporarily closed but it's back up now" or "well, the podcast I like got into an internal squabble and fell apart" or "well, two people who don't like each other said mean things about each other on their blogs" that seem to be the best examples you can find after months of searching.
Old 29th July 2022, 08:33 AM   #2298
Stout
Illuminator

It's so cute how you're clinging to the idea that if a bar doesn't have instagram it's doomed to failure, despite only being aware of 2 bars in all of America that have (or had) an Instagram account. Sure, Instagram is what makes or breaks a bar.
Nowhere did I say a bar was "doomed to failure" if they didn't have a social media presence, that's something you've made up what I said was is a bar should have a social media presence if they want to maximize their chances of success which is a route Doc Marie's has obviously taken. You just need to deal with the fact that Doc Marie's will be posting their updates on Instagram and if you're loathe to deal with that format, then simply miss out.

Quote:
I did use the words "video editing", as well as the word "commentary". It's a shame your comprehension stopped at the the word "or" in between them.
Now that we've determined the videos aren't edited, we have to determine if the added commentary ( if any ) does indeed match the content of the video. I say it does while you're NO! LoTT scary...do not want! approach totally prohibits you from proving me wrong.

A video can go from the most wonderful progressive thing when it's on TikTok but the minute it ends up mirrored on LoTT suddenly it somehow evil. This is some wild twisted logic we're dealing with here.
Old 29th July 2022, 08:54 AM   #2299
wareyin
Philosopher

Nowhere did I say a bar was "doomed to failure" if they didn't have a social media presence, that's something you've made up what I said was is a bar should have a social media presence if they want to maximize their chances of success which is a route Doc Marie's has obviously taken. You just need to deal with the fact that Doc Marie's will be posting their updates on Instagram and if you're loathe to deal with that format, then simply miss out.
Wait, you previously said they were off Instagram or set to private, but now they're back? So even this bit of "cancelled" was just a temporary little bit?

Dang, why does reality have such a hate-on for you guys and your proofs of cancel culture?

Now that we've determined the videos aren't edited,
We have? Where?

we have to determine if the added commentary ( if any ) does indeed match the content of the video. I say it does while you're NO! LoTT scary...do not want! approach totally prohibits you from proving me wrong.
Yep, oh so scary! Just like OAN or Weekly World News or The Watchtower, the only reason not to read or watch them is because you're scared!

A video can go from the most wonderful progressive thing when it's on TikTok but the minute it ends up mirrored on LoTT suddenly it somehow evil. This is some wild twisted logic we're dealing with here.
You still haven't explained how the second grader video is cancel culture. Struggling with coming up with a reason it's on topic rather than just a gratuitous swipe at...second graders? teachers? libs?
Old 29th July 2022, 09:29 AM   #2300
Stout
Illuminator

Wait, you previously said they were off Instagram or set to private, but now they're back? So even this bit of "cancelled" was just a temporary little bit?
Dang, why does reality have such a hate-on for you guys and your proofs of cancel culture?

I was the workers collective that sent their Instagram to private, not Doc Marie's. Please try to keep the facts straight.

As for the rest...This whole derail started when LoTT was used as a source to detail an event that paralleled another event that was extensively discussed in this thread. Doc Marie's was subjected to the same form of cancel culture as Mina's World only this time, we haven't made it to the no...this didn't happen.

Last edited by Stout; 29th July 2022 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Format, again
Old 29th July 2022, 09:44 AM   #2301
wareyin
Philosopher

I was the workers collective that sent their Instagram to private, not Doc Marie's. Please try to keep the facts straight.
It is difficult to keep the facts straight in this example of cancel culture that doesn't include anyone or anything that was cancelled, I'll give you that. So...when you said the Instagram account you were supposed to check for updates was dead in the water, and you talked about using Instagram to attract new clientele or advertise drink specials, you weren't talking about the bar? I didn't know workers collectives advertised drink specials. Guess that's just more of your new world. Or, maybe, you can't keep your facts straight?

As for the rest...This whole derail started when LoTT was used as a source to detail an event that paralleled another event that was extensively discussed in this thread. Doc Marie's was subjected to the same form of cancel culture as Mina's World only this time, we haven't made it to the no...this didn't happen.
Ok, let's see what we can do to get there. I'll totally let you drop your off topic crusade to laugh at second graders to focus on whether "it" happened. What's "it" again? Closed down? Mina's World yes, Doc Marie's no. Dang, that must not be it. Failed due to poor business planning? Mina's World yes (again), Doc Marie's...not yet, I guess? Cancelled by some external group? Mina's World no, Doc Marie's also no.

Well dang it, I can't be sure what "it" you are referring to, so you're going to have to tell us what "it" is before we can see if "it" happened.
Old 29th July 2022, 06:31 PM   #2302
Stout
Illuminator

It is difficult to keep the facts straight in this example of cancel culture that doesn't include anyone or anything that was cancelled, I'll give you that. So...when you said the Instagram account you were supposed to check for updates was dead in the water, and you talked about using Instagram to attract new clientele or advertise drink specials, you weren't talking about the bar? I didn't know workers collectives advertised drink specials. Guess that's just more of your new world. Or, maybe, you can't keep your facts straight?
Doc Marie's account was dead in the water, as in not moving, nothing happening, no updates, hasn't had any entries past their action plan statement. That kind of dead in the water. Not sunk to the bottom of the sea where nobody can see it like the worker's collective account.

The rest of your post is a bit of a word salad but I'll try. You're trying to deny that anybody would ever act on a political philosophy that would have the means of production transferred to the workers. Did I get that right?
Old 1st August 2022, 06:02 AM   #2303
wareyin
Philosopher

Doc Marie's account was dead in the water, as in not moving, nothing happening, no updates, hasn't had any entries past their action plan statement. That kind of dead in the water. Not sunk to the bottom of the sea where nobody can see it like the worker's collective account.
Ah, so like the vast majority of bars in the US, Doc Marie's isn't using Instagram to announce their daily specials. And this is news because...?

The rest of your post is a bit of a word salad but I'll try. You're trying to deny that anybody would ever act on a political philosophy that would have the means of production transferred to the workers. Did I get that right?
No, I can't see how you got anything about a political philosophy or means of production out of what I wrote. At all. Are you sure you're not trying to shoehorn one of your philosophical hobby horses in here, like you did while mocking 2nd graders?
Old 1st August 2022, 08:44 AM   #2304
Stout
Illuminator

Ah, so like the vast majority of bars in the US, Doc Marie's isn't using Instagram to announce their daily specials. And this is news because...?
Some bars, all bars, most bars, new bars, established bars...How dis we get here? Oh yes, Doc Marie's online presence (or lack of) was raised a week ago and given an example of their preparedness to do business. Right now, they're not using Insta for anything, probably because they're trying to find staff who they can trust, but they were using it. Really, they were.

Quote:
No, I can't see how you got anything about a political philosophy or means of production out of what I wrote. At all. Are you sure you're not trying to shoehorn one of your philosophical hobby horses in here, like you did while mocking 2nd graders?
Dammit! they told me Libs of Tiktok derangement syndrome didn't exist and here I am being proven wrong. No Marx inspired bar/coffee shop employees who demanded the employers hand their business over to them exist because the wrong website posted about it. The teacher who actually believed the parents of her entire second grade class misgendered their children doesn't exist because the wrong website mirrored her video. Good try on the mocking the children angle though. Everything is going to be alright.
Old 1st August 2022, 09:08 AM   #2305
wareyin
Philosopher

Some bars, all bars, most bars, new bars, established bars...How dis we get here? Oh yes, Doc Marie's online presence (or lack of) was raised a week ago and given an example of their preparedness to do business. Right now, they're not using Insta for anything, probably because they're trying to find staff who they can trust, but they were using it. Really, they were.
We can agree that you raised Doc Marie's Instagram account as an example of cancel culture while apparently being ignorant of how little Insta matters to businesses like Doc Marie's, sure.

Since you have now claimed that Doc Marie's is open, they seem to have found staff they can trust even if they (like virtually all other bars in the US) haven't found a need to use the social media venue that you deemed necessary.

Dammit! they told me Libs of Tiktok derangement syndrome didn't exist and here I am being proven wrong. No Marx inspired bar/coffee shop employees who demanded the employers hand their business over to them exist because the wrong website posted about it. The teacher who actually believed the parents of her entire second grade class misgendered their children doesn't exist because the wrong website mirrored her video. Good try on the mocking the children angle though. Everything is going to be alright.
You weren't trying to mock the children by using the video LoTT posted to mock the children? Sure, ok.

I do love how conservatives glom onto phrases that were used against them with so little understanding of those phrases. In the cargo cult conservative world, not caring about a particular twitter account means you're scared of it and that you have "a twitter account that Stout claimed adds nothing to and writes nothing about what they share" derangement syndrome.
Old 1st August 2022, 10:30 AM   #2306
Stout
Illuminator

We can agree that you raised Doc Marie's Instagram account as an example of cancel culture while apparently being ignorant of how little Insta matters to businesses like Doc Marie's, sure.
Maybe kinda sort of. Doc Maries Instagram presence was brought up because.....that's where their website directly points. Just in case you've forgotten. They obviously think it's important. You may also need a reminder that the worker's collective demands went down on Instagram so Instagram plays a Pretty big role. In case it's slipped your mind, the worker's collective Instagram is set to private.

Quote:
You weren't trying to mock the children by using the video LoTT posted to mock the children? Sure, ok.
Nope, they're seven year olds, They changed their pronouns in the morning by the afternoon they were dinosaurs.

If you don't care about a particular twitter account then why not just ignore it? Ah yes, the SJW credo prohibits that.
Old 1st August 2022, 10:45 AM   #2307
wareyin
Philosopher

Maybe kinda sort of. Doc Maries Instagram presence was brought up because.....that's where their website directly points. Just in case you've forgotten. They obviously think it's important. You may also need a reminder that the worker's collective demands went down on Instagram so Instagram plays a Pretty big role. In case it's slipped your mind, the worker's collective Instagram is set to private.
This is one of those "they obviously think it's important" claims where here in reality it's so important to Doc Marie's that....they don't bother with it?

Oh, it's linked to on their website? Their website that they probably hired someone else to make for them? How many other links are there on that website, and how many are to empty or dead pages? Because I've recently had to deal with a couple restaurant/bars down in St. Augistine where their entire website was a 404, despite the restaurant itself being open and doing business. Not to mention some that had links to their menu that were dead. The joys of trying to find a specific menu item for a picky friend. Anyway, the fact that bars and restaurants are able to run just fine without Instagram, or even functioning webpages, does make me snicker at how much emphasis you're putting on Doc Marie's not bothing to update Instagram.

Nope, they're seven year olds, They changed their pronouns in the morning by the afternoon they were dinosaurs.
Yep, for them this wasn't a thing worth immortalizing. Yet for you and LoTT it was, for some strange reason.

If you don't care about a particular twitter account then why not just ignore it? Ah yes, the SJW credo prohibits that.
This may shock you, but I've been ignoring it ever since you and d4m10n(?) began trying to use it to prove your cancel culture claims. I haven't bothered to go there once, nor do I think or talk or post about it except to point out that your reliance on it isn't helping you prove your cancel culture IRL claims. Not the least of reasons for that being that...the stuff you guys are learning about from LoTT isn't even people or things being cancelled. As evidenced by Doc Marie's still being open and your bizarre attempt to mock 2nd graders.

Last edited by wareyin; 1st August 2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 1st August 2022, 11:30 AM   #2308
Stout
Illuminator

This is one of those "they obviously think it's important" claims where here in reality it's so important to Doc Marie's that....they don't bother with it?
They might still be closed, hard to tell without phoning them and asking them but they were updating it and posting until "the event". Brand new bar, brand new website and Instagram. Wonder why they'd even bother in the first place if they felt it unnecessary. Instagram is just a form of advertising, a form that's free and if the drinks look good and the food looks appetizing patrons might just decide to go there rather than to the competition. It's a pretty niche market though maybe they're open to select clientele only.

Quote:
Yep, for them this wasn't a thing worth immortalizing. Yet for you and LoTT it was, for some strange reason.
To who wasn't it worth immortalizing? The kids? I hope not, they're seven year olds. Suit yourself if you want to willfully ignore sources. It's way easier that trying to deal with the the information presented in them. Some people need to believe the earth is only 6000-10 000 years old and ignore science. Works for them.
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:28 PM   #2309
wareyin
Philosopher

They might still be closed, hard to tell without phoning them and asking them but they were updating it and posting until "the event". Brand new bar, brand new website and Instagram. Wonder why they'd even bother in the first place if they felt it unnecessary. Instagram is just a form of advertising, a form that's free and if the drinks look good and the food looks appetizing patrons might just decide to go there rather than to the competition. It's a pretty niche market though maybe they're open to select clientele only.
Maybe they "bothered" because they were throwing everything at the wall to see what worked? Maybe Instagram wasn't pulling anybody in to the bar? Maybe that's why almost nobody else uses it either? Who knows?

When you don't even know if your latest greatest example of cancel culture is cancelled or not, that's kinda damning for the idea that cancel culture is this big thing in real life that we have to worry about. When the only thing that's been "cancelled" is a social media account, that's also not "IRL".

To who wasn't it worth immortalizing? The kids?
To everyone except for you and for LoTT, apparently. But since you don't want to drop this 2nd grader mockery, can you explain how it is cancel culture?
I hope not, they're seven year olds. Suit yourself if you want to willfully ignore sources. It's way easier that trying to deal with the the information presented in them. Some people need to believe the earth is only 6000-10 000 years old and ignore science. Works for them.
Oh, yeah, I'm sure LoTT is just like geology.
Old 3rd August 2022, 02:44 PM   #2310
PitPat
Illuminator

Not sure if this counts as cancel culture, but Beyonce agreed to change a lyric in one of her new songs to remove the word "spaz".

I haven't really heard it in the popular vernacular since about the mid 80s - it's a reference to spastic cerebral palsy.

Considering the world, probably not that big of deal. Whether it's due to image/brand I'm glad she did it. What I'm surprised about is that the years during the making, nobody around her mentioned "Uh, hey Beyonce, you may want to rethink this line, could be problematic."
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2022, 07:58 PM   #2311
d4m10n
Philosopher

Can you name two of the four bars which aren't on Instagram?
Old 4th August 2022, 05:05 AM   #2312
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Can you name two of the four bars which aren't on Instagram?

Yes, I can.

Will I? At first I was going to, but then I decided that 1) a bit too much personal info, and 2) I shouldn't bother answering the questions of someone who never answers questions himself.
Old 4th August 2022, 05:20 AM   #2313
d4m10n
Philosopher

Yes, I can.
Perhaps if you check those mysteriously unnamed bars, you'll find your missing lawmakers.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th August 2022 at 05:22 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2022, 05:46 AM   #2314
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Perhaps if you check those mysteriously unnamed bars, you'll find your missing lawmakers.
Wait, am I supposed to be looking for West, Bullard, and Trump for you? Do you need help finding them?
Old 4th August 2022, 04:58 PM   #2315
Stout
Illuminator

Maybe they "bothered" because they were throwing everything at the wall to see what worked? Maybe Instagram wasn't pulling anybody in to the bar? Maybe that's why almost nobody else uses it either? Who knows?
Doc Marie's has updated their Instagram. The action plan post has been removes ( along with a bunch of other posts ) and they've changed their pronouns. Hallelujah! See what happens when you follow the Insta? You get to know things.

Quote:
When you don't even know if your latest greatest example of cancel culture is cancelled or not, that's kinda damning for the idea that cancel culture is this big thing in real life that we have to worry about. When the only thing that's been "cancelled" is a social media account, that's also not "IRL".
As of now, they appear to be uncancelled. Cancel culture survivors they are and given that they've updated their pronouns I might just pop in for a drink if I ever find myself in Portland. Unless they get cancelled again, which I'd know about because I follow them on Instagram.

Quote:
To everyone except for you and for LoTT, apparently. But since you don't want to drop this 2nd grader mockery, can you explain how it is cancel culture?
You know what's even funnier than the video? the insistence that the video is about mocking children. It's more than obvious to anyone without LoTTDS that the target of the mockery is the teacher however it's not impossible that she has a class with only 2 students in it and both had been misgendered by their parents.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I'm sure LoTT is just like geology.
It's really about what people are willing and wanting to believe in order to make the world fit into their world view. The Earth is hollow and full of aliens, the LoTT video was mocking children, that sort of wackiness.
Old 4th August 2022, 07:13 PM   #2316
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The land of no cancel culture would like you to join them:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sanctions.html

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2022, 05:14 AM   #2317
wareyin
Philosopher

Doc Marie's has updated their Instagram. The action plan post has been removes ( along with a bunch of other posts ) and they've changed their pronouns. Hallelujah! See what happens when you follow the Insta? You get to know things.

As of now, they appear to be uncancelled. Cancel culture survivors they are and given that they've updated their pronouns I might just pop in for a drink if I ever find myself in Portland. Unless they get cancelled again, which I'd know about because I follow them on Instagram.
So...Doc Marie's is yet another "cancel culture IRL" example that...wasn't cancelled IRL or on social media. You guys just keep knocking these things out of the park with your examples!

You know what's even funnier than the video? the insistence that the video is about mocking children. It's more than obvious to anyone without LoTTDS that the target of the mockery is the teacher however it's not impossible that she has a class with only 2 students in it and both had been misgendered by their parents.

It's really about what people are willing and wanting to believe in order to make the world fit into their world view. The Earth is hollow and full of aliens, the LoTT video was mocking children, that sort of wackiness.
Sure, sure, sooper silly to think a video is meant to be a mockery when that video's proponent goes on and on about how funny it is that 2nd graders switched pronouns.

AAAAAnyway, have you figured out how your LoTT video is on topic yet?
Old 5th August 2022, 03:29 PM   #2318
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The land of no cancel culture would like you to join them:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sanctions.html
Guess I'd rather be canceled by online mobs than Russian plutocrats, but that's mostly because the former group rather rarely has access to chemical warfare agents like NovichokWP. Better to be jobless than lifeless, as my babushka used to say.
Old 8th August 2022, 10:57 AM   #2319
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Here we go the kind of liberal cancel culture we all hate.

Cracker Barrel added Vegan sausage to the menu and people are boycotting in protest.

https://www.indy100.com/viral/cracke...ausage-boycott
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2022, 09:30 AM   #2320
catsmate
No longer the 1

Oh, I see. You want to whinge about the source. Well then if it's so unreliable it should be a simple matter to come up with an alternative explanation as to why this newly shut down bar closed abruptly and remains closed.

With good reliable vetted sources of course.
So, that'd be a "no" then.
Pathetic but hardly unexpected.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events