IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 17 29.82%
Disagree 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th May 2022, 01:32 PM   #361
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
If they see that the conquest will cost them too much in loss of life on the Russian side they will use the atomic bomb as the Americans did in Japan
"We can't murder you all fast enough so we'll just nuke you."
Old 4th May 2022, 01:41 PM   #362
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

If they see that the conquest will cost them too much in loss of life on the Russian side they will use the atomic bomb as the Americans did in Japan
Which would be the least stupid thing they could ever do, because everyone knows that only non-Russians would die if they did that.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 01:45 PM   #363
Gaetan
Illuminator

There is a lot of people working for the cia on this forum who are for the war in Ukraine as i see. Right now the most who profit from that is the anglo saxon community in the world.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 01:48 PM   #364
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The leaders of NATO tell to Putin, if you kill us, we will kill you, what a stupid answer!
How dare the free world defend themselves against your hero. The gall.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 01:50 PM   #365
trustbutverify
Philosopher

So you believe the Japanese are responsible for getting nuked. Good to know.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 02:21 PM   #366
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
So you believe the Japanese are responsible for getting nuked. Good to know.
It's like he doesn't know that the Japanese didn't have nukes.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 02:22 PM   #367
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

There is a lot of people working for the cia on this forum who are for the war in Ukraine as i see. Right now the most who profit from that is the anglo saxon community in the world.
Sorry, but the CIA has no clue you even exist, and they couldn't care less.
Old 4th May 2022, 05:01 PM   #368
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The leaders of NATO tell to Putin, if you kill us, we will kill you, what a stupid answer!

NATO isn't telling Russia they will kill Putin. NATO is giving weapons to Ukraine and actually killing Russians.
Old 4th May 2022, 05:57 PM   #369
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

joe biden will be in a bunker 600 feet under earth when you'll die of an atome bomb. You should worry about what is is doing.
You are very incorrect.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 06:55 PM   #370
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Fortunately, not a single other person on this forum is dumb enough to be taken in by Russian propaganda. All of Gaetan's posts are achieving nothing to convince anyone. Gaetan is the most ineffective propagandist in history.
Old 4th May 2022, 07:35 PM   #371
eerok
Quixoticist

deleted - not worth it

Last edited by eerok; 4th May 2022 at 07:38 PM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 10:11 PM   #372
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Fortunately, not a single other person on this forum is dumb enough to be taken in by Russian propaganda. All of Gaetan's posts are achieving nothing to convince anyone. Gaetan is the most ineffective propagandist in history.
You used the atome bombs against Japan to save the live of american soldiers Putin could do the same to save the life of his soldiers. The NATO leaders and Zelinski are playing a dangerous game.

Last edited by Gaetan; 4th May 2022 at 10:15 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 10:55 PM   #373
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You used the atome bombs against Japan to save the live of american soldiers Putin could do the same to save the life of his soldiers. The NATO leaders and Zelinski are playing a dangerous game.
Who used the atom bomb? Not me, mate.
Old 4th May 2022, 11:00 PM   #374
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If Putin wanted to save the lives of his soldiers all he had to do was not invade Ukraine. Not a single Russian soldier died in this war who was not invading Ukraine. You don't save lives by starting a war.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 11:18 PM   #375
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, and Zelinski and NATO are better at playing that game than Putin. Putin should learn his place and know when he's outmatched.
Old 5th May 2022, 12:01 AM   #376
Gaetan
Illuminator

Who used the atom bomb? Not me, mate.
Your government is you
Old 5th May 2022, 12:05 AM   #377
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your government is you
My government is Australian, mate.
Old 5th May 2022, 12:21 AM   #378
Gaetan
Illuminator

My government is Australian, mate.
But you approved the use of the atome bombs against Japan, you were in war against them, don't you? Then why Putin couldn't do what you did?

Last edited by Gaetan; 5th May 2022 at 12:22 AM.
Old 5th May 2022, 12:28 AM   #379
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

If Putin wants to save Russian lives then using an atom bomb is an appallingly bad way of doing it.

I mean, seriously, what do you think would happen to Russia if they nuked Ukraine?

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 12:53 AM   #380
dann
Penultimate Amazing

You used the atome bombs against Japan to save the live of american soldiers Putin could do the same to save the life of his soldiers.

You don't seem to get this: Soldiers are a tool of war. Generals and other military leaders use them to fight whoever happens to be the current enemy, and they are only concerned about the lives of those soldiers to the extent that dead soldiers can no longer fight. Cannon fodder. Calculating with the loss of (some of) those soldiers' lives is part of strategic calculations. There is no reason to assume that the calculations of Putin and his generals are any different.

Nuclear bombs were dropped on Japan to make the country surrender unconditionally in WW2, not to save the lives of American soldiers. If it would have been cheaper, faster and more efficient to let a couple of 100,000 more soldiers die in an invasion of the Japanese mainland, I seriously doubt that it would not have been the preferred solution.

There is no reason to assume that Putin and his generals worry more about the lives of soldiers than the politicians and generals of WW2. They could have spared the (civilian and military) lives already lost by the invasion of Ukraine by not invading.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 01:11 AM   #381
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

But you approved the use of the atome bombs against Japan, you were in war against them, don't you? Then why Putin couldn't do what you did?
Again, I didn't approve a damn thing. I wasn't even born.

Secondly, what America did to end the war was very, very bad. It was just deemed to be less bad than the alternative.

Thirdly, the nukes that Putin has access to are many, many times more destructive than the atom bombs dropped on Japan. Do you understand the difference between a fission bomb, which is what was dropped on Japan, and a fusion bomb, which is what Putin has? Putin wouldn't be doing what "we" did. What Putin would be doing would be much, much worse than what "we" did, which as I said was very, very bad.
Old 5th May 2022, 04:16 AM   #382
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I think that I know how to settle this issue without pointing out your obvious errors.

If Putin drops nuclear bombs on the USA (as you have said he will), at anytime during the year 2022, then I will pay you {Gaetan} $1000.00 [USD].

Conversely, if Putin does not drop any nuclear bombs on the USA (as I, and several others, have been saying) during the year 2022, then you pay me {Crossbow} $1.00 [USD].

Do we have a bet?

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 04:53 AM   #383
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Sorry, but your analogy betrays an ignorance of both history and logic.

In 1945, only the United States had nuclear weapons. The U.S. could use its two nuclear weapons against Japan to force a surrender because there was no way for Japan to retaliate in any significant way.

Fast forward to 2022, and Russia is not the only nation in possession of nuclear weapons. If Putin decides to use nukes, it isn't going to save Russian lives - it's going to result in a massive increase, by orders of magnitude, in the number of dead Russians. Putin would have to be an incredibly stupid man to actually use nukes. We should all hope that the only reason he's mentioned them is because he's a bully who's used to getting whatever he wants, and he's humiliated by his losses in Ukraine and hopes he can still play alpha-male. If the cronies around Putin think there is any realistic chance that he'll actually order a nuclear strike of any kind, the best thing they could do, even strictly for their own self-interest, is put a bullet in his head.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:07 AM   #384
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Sorry, but your analogy betrays an ignorance of both history and logic.
You find logic to keep your weapons and say that people cannot use it? You voted for it.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:19 AM   #385
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You find logic to keep your weapons and say that people cannot use it? You voted for it.
Hey you learned how to spell and type again. Let's see how long it lasts this time.
Old 5th May 2022, 07:37 AM   #386
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

What response would be less stupid, then?

"If you kill us, we will <your answer here>"

What do you suggest governments should say they would do if Putin tries to kill them?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 07:38 AM   #387
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Stop evading the issues being raised with pathetic attempts to condemn others.

Do you understand any of the parts of my previous post that you chose to ignore?

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 5th May 2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 5th May 2022, 08:00 AM   #388
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
What do you suggest governments should say they would do if Putin tries to kill them?
I'm guessing the answer is "Give him all their weapons and beg him to forgive them." Because that's so likely to stop him making the threat in the first place.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 08:21 AM   #389
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
What response would be less stupid, then?

"If you kill us, we will <your answer here>"

If Putin sends atome bombs to kill American citizens it is stupid to send atome bombs to kill Russian citizens
Old 5th May 2022, 08:40 AM   #390
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If Putin sends atome bombs to kill American citizens it is stupid to send atome bombs to kill Russian citizens
All such actions are stupid, but if that happens, the medal for first stupidity lands squarely on Putin. It would be stupid to tell him that we won't retaliate, knowing as we must by now that he is crazy.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 08:43 AM   #391
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

To be fair (or maybe not "fair" but... something) neither "American used nukes in Japan therefore it's not allowed to help Ukraine (nor is anyone else because nobody is perfect)" nor "The best thing to do is to roll over for Papa Putin and show your belly" is as uncommon as people are pretending it is.

Neither of those are opinions I am hearing for the first time on this board.
Old 5th May 2022, 08:55 AM   #392
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
All such actions are stupid,
As you say that it is stupid to answer by killing Russian citizens, don't you think it would be logic to get rid of your weapons since it is stupid to use it then as you are not a threat for them they won't kill you at first.

Last edited by Gaetan; 5th May 2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 5th May 2022, 09:05 AM   #393
sackett
Philosopher

As you are not a threat to them they will not kill you. At first.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 09:09 AM   #394
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Do you think it is stupid to tell Putin not to sends atome bombs?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 09:10 AM   #395
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Then you don't send nuclear weapons to Ukraine, US or anywhere else. Problem solved.
Old 5th May 2022, 09:18 AM   #396
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

As you say that it is stupid to answer by killing Russian citizens, don't you think it would be logic to get rid of your weapons since it is stupid to use it then as you are not a threat for them they won't kill you at first.
Wow! You are really ignorant of history. Do you know what happened whenever the only people with guns showed up on the shores of - everywhere? Were the Congolese a threat to Leopold II and his Congo Free State officials?

If the rest of the world lays down their arms and sings Kumbaya, guys like Putin aren't going to come over and give them hugs and pass out little peace-sign flags - they're going to march in and say, "All this is mine now. Criticize me and you'll have an unfortunate, accidental fall from a five story window. Enjoy our cheap vodka while my cronies and I personally steal hundreds of billions from your economies".
Old 5th May 2022, 09:18 AM   #397
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh look you forgot how to spell again.
Old 5th May 2022, 09:30 AM   #398
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

To summarize Gaetan's position as I understand it:

This is all the fault of absolutely everybody except Putin, and faced with the loss of a few thousand Russian soldiers it's perfectly reasonable and sensible for Putin to nuke just about everybody on the planet, but if anybody responds by nuking Russia they're criminal idiots.

If instead the US and its European allies all lay down their arms then Putin will recall all his soldiers from Ukraine and peace will be assured for all eternity.

Is that about the gist of it?

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2022, 09:31 AM   #399
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No. Gaeten's position is "Lookit how absurd of an opinion my internet persona can make up."
Old 5th May 2022, 09:32 AM   #400
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You mean it would be "logic" do to exactly what Ukraine did. They got rid of theirs in return for a pledge of protection. The result was that Putin and his dupes and whores allege they should be killed and their country destroyed. You and logic don't seem to get along very well.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events