IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 17 29.82%
Disagree 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2022, 05:35 AM   #601
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You just can't get anything right, can you?

On a lighter note, could you maybe cut out the fake broken English... it's getting really annoying.
But fake broken English at least requires some thought. What if that is one's last link to reality? Be careful what you ask for. Remember we're in the age of Trump, so when you ask yourself, "could it get any worse?" the answer is always "yes."

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2022, 03:55 PM   #602
Gaetan
Illuminator

Joe Biden is corrupted but he also has a son deeply involve in corruption in Ukraine and this cause the misery of Ukrainians, you won't hear it on news because they are also corrupted. Abolish money and guns is a must.

Last edited by Gaetan; 11th June 2022 at 03:57 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2022, 07:18 AM   #603
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Like what?
It's called gunsmithing, it is both a business and a hobby for some people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunsmith
Old 12th June 2022, 07:57 AM   #604
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
It's called gunsmithing, it is both a business and a hobby for some people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunsmith
A guy was watching the videos and did the samething, he killed 2 persons and got 25 years in jail, i don't thing the guy is the true responsible but the guys producing that kind of videos. Poisons in the society made for profit kill a lot of people. They wouldn't have enough scientists to watch these criminal they produce new poisons every day. Poisons kill millions of people every year in US by chance sperm produces the equivalent. You won't get rid of these poisons if you don't get rid of money.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2022, 11:44 PM   #605
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Mod Warning The OP is apparently about the arguments in favour or against the need for weapons, not Jesus Christ, nor whether individuals should be responsible for actions of other members of whatever constitutes their community, which I am sure are fascinating topics for their own threads
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:jimbob

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2022, 06:39 AM   #606
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

A guy was watching the videos and did the samething, he killed 2 persons and got 25 years in jail, i don't thing the guy is the true responsible but the guys producing that kind of videos. Poisons in the society made for profit kill a lot of people. They wouldn't have enough scientists to watch these criminal they produce new poisons every day. Poisons kill millions of people every year in US by chance sperm produces the equivalent. You won't get rid of these poisons if you don't get rid of money.

What gunsmithing videos are you talking about?

Quote:
gunsmith noun

gun·​smith | \ ˈgən-ˌsmith \
Definition of gunsmith
: one who designs, makes, or repairs small firearms
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gunsmith

Gunsmithing doesn't involve killing people, "Poisons", "sperm" or whomever you might think "is the true responsible" for whatever.

While there are some particular concerns in design, materials and tolerancing it is still just machining and assembling of components. Within the capabilities of most precision manufacturing facilities. Heck, with modern CNC equipment and current screw machines, just about anyone with basic set up capability can produce large volumes of precision components. The only way to get rid of the capability to produce guns is to get rid of all manufacturing all together and even then someone could rig something. The first firearms were basicity just cast tubes stuffed with black powder and projectiles. Heck, someone even designed a 3D printable gun but as I recall it wasn't very durable.

Last edited by The Man; 13th June 2022 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typos
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2022, 11:40 PM   #607
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Abolish money and guns is a must.
I agree. What's your plan?
Old 22nd June 2022, 08:16 PM   #608
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

What's your plan for abolishing guns and money?
Old 25th June 2022, 08:16 AM   #609
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
What's your plan for abolishing guns and money?
You make a law to banish guns and close the producers. For those who don't respect the law and give up their guns you send the police to pick them up, no prison, no fine. You make a resolution to UN to banish arms.

You abolish money in the country, keep working as usual, for products from other countries is financed by products you sell to others countries, you just keep money for international trade untill others counties abolish money.
Old 25th June 2022, 10:43 AM   #610
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You make a law to banish guns and close the producers. For those who don't respect the law and give up their guns you send the police to pick them up, no prison, no fine. You make a resolution to UN to banish arms.

You abolish money in the country, keep working as usual, for products from other countries is financed by products you sell to others countries, you just keep money for international trade untill others counties abolish money.
We're not going to do that.
Old 26th June 2022, 01:31 AM   #611
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

I repeat my question asked several weeks ago, as you never answered it.

Have you ever actually met a living human being?

I merely ask because you seem to have no idea what humans are like.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2022, 12:39 PM   #612
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Again, how are your unarmed police going to get guns from armed people whom you already well know don't want to willingly give them up?

Again, what happens to signatory countries who don't actually abide by such a "resolution"?

"no prison, no fine"? Does that include when they use those guns they don't want to give up?

What products do I sell to Czechoslovakia such that I can order something from Czechoslovakia?
Old 26th June 2022, 07:30 PM   #613
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And if I ask you how to win the war in Russia, will your answer be "first, win the war"?

How do you propose we abolish guns and money? What's your proposed plan?
Old 26th June 2022, 08:04 PM   #614
Pope130
Illuminator

Wait a minute here, you want to ban Guns and Money, what about Lawyers?

Last edited by Pope130; 26th June 2022 at 08:05 PM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2022, 08:14 PM   #615
8enotto
Master Poster

Get rid of guns and money, lawyers won't have clients or any incentive to work.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 04:24 AM   #616
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Your plan is completely worthless, completely thoughtless and completely impractical.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 05:50 AM   #617
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Wait a minute here, you want to ban Guns and Money, what about Lawyers?
Who do you think will craft the law that bans Guns and Money, as well as both challenge and defend that law?

So counter to what Shakespeare said, they have to be, at least, third on the list

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Get rid of guns and money, lawyers won't have clients or any incentive to work.
Nor will anyone else.
Old 27th June 2022, 06:50 PM   #618
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Your plan is completely worthless, completely thoughtless and completely impractical.
It's not a plan at all. It's a goal aspiration. I want to know if Gaetan has thought this through sufficiently to have an actual plan.
Old 27th June 2022, 07:02 PM   #619
junkshop
Muse

It's not a plan at all. It's a goal aspiration. I want to know if Gaetan has thought this through sufficiently to have an actual plan.
By this point you already know the answer to that.
Old 27th June 2022, 07:03 PM   #620
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
By this point you already know the answer to that.
Of course I do. But does Gaetan?
Old 27th June 2022, 07:08 PM   #621
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Of course I do. But does Gaetan?
By this point you already know the answer to that too.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2022, 07:17 PM   #622
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
By this point you already know the answer to that too.
I guess that's true, but if I can get Gaetan to think even just a little bit about it, then it will have been effort well spent.
Old 2nd July 2022, 02:07 PM   #623
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I hope you gauge the usefulness of the effort by its benefit to you, so as not to waste it all.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #624
Gaetan
Illuminator

Biden sheds tears over the Chicago shooting but they are crocodile tears, this hypocrite is the world's biggest arms dealer. They have nice words to have votes but they do the opposite in practice.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #625
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Right, because providing weapons and logistical support to a country defending itself against a hostile aggressor is exactly the same as enabling someone to murder families and children at a fourth of July parade.
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #626
Gaetan
Illuminator

Right, because providing weapons and logistical support to a country defending itself against a hostile aggressor is exactly the same as enabling someone to murder families and children at a fourth of July parade.
The solution is not to sell or give more arms because it will only make more victimes, the arms given to Ukraine are resold everywhere in the world and now in the hands of dealers. That what happened to your vote, you voted for criminals.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #627
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

no, the weapons sold to the Ukraine are for defense from the Russians.
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #628
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The solution is not to sell or give more arms because it will only make more victimes, the arms given to Ukraine are resold everywhere in the world and now in the hands of dealers. That what happened to your vote, you voted for criminals.
Who do you think I voted for?
Old Today, 05:30 AM   #629
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

By your own assertions not giving or having weapons themselves does not forestall people from becoming victims of gun violence. How many of those victims, in the Chicago shooting you mention, were armed with firearms?

Again, such arms don't have to be given or sold they can simply be and are made, by someone. That the producer may not be the user in some cases certainly doesn't preclude them from being the same.
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #630
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
By your own assertions not giving or having weapons themselves does not forestall people from becoming victims of gun violence. How many of those victims, in the Chicago shooting you mention, were armed with firearms?

Again, such arms don't have to be given or sold they can simply be and are made, by someone. That the producer may not be the user in some cases certainly doesn't preclude them from being the same.
It's proven that the more weapons circulating, the more victims there are, no matter how you look at it, so the solution is very simple, get rid of them.

NATO gave lots of weapons in Ukraine but at the end it will only make more people killed, hurt, refugees, starvation and the whole country destroyed. You got to look at what it will come in practice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events