IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 17 29.82%
Disagree 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd March 2022, 04:01 PM   #81
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They will take my broadsword from me then the wrench it form my cold dead hands.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:17 PM   #82
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
They will take my broadsword from me then the wrench it form my cold dead hands.
Naw, just take the hands too.
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:24 PM   #83
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Note to self, learn to kill people with ploughshares*
Old 22nd March 2022, 04:30 PM   #84
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Just mount a bunch on the front bumper and it's 'Death Race 2022' time. Has the versatility of working in a post money and/or zombie apocalypse.
Old 22nd March 2022, 08:45 PM   #85
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Oh boy, this thread again.
Old 22nd March 2022, 09:39 PM   #86
8enotto
Master Poster

I have a small collection of hand forged traditional agriculture tools commonly used in Mexico. All of them by just plain design are effective weapons. Even the pointy iron tipped stick.

In a world without potential weapons there is no agriculture. We couldn't have the most basic tools to plant nor harvest food. Much less process it.

Is that what we want? Because we know humans won't become respectful of all others just because.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 01:36 AM   #87
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
More guns in a society more people will die because guns makes it easy to kill.

When you look at industrialized countries, there seems to be some correlation between the number of guns and violent deaths:
Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review) (Harvard Injury Control Research Center)
Changes in firearm mortality following the implementation of state laws regulating firearm access and use (PNAS, June 15, 2020)
America's gun culture in charts (BBC News, April 8, 2021)

And it seems to be more than correlation:
Quote:
It's a basic rule of any empirical research: If you want to evaluate how much a single factor impacts something else, you should do your very best to control for all other variables to ensure that the single factor is the only thing being analyzed. So with studies on gun ownership and gun violence, researchers go through great efforts to control for all sorts of variables — economic outcomes, alcohol consumption, rates of urbanization, other crime rates, and so on — to make sure the results look, as much as they possibly can, only at gun ownership and its effects.
This is why, for example, Vox's charts look at the correlation between gun ownership and gun violence in developed countries: It helps weed out the many, many social and economic factors involved if you compare the US with, for instance, Honduras — a nation mired by poverty and weak government institutions.
More guns mean more gun murders. Here's how we know. (Vox, Dec 8, 2015)

People like Lauren Boebert are blithering idiots:
Quote:
In the wake of a mass shooting that left 10 people dead in her state, freshman Congresswoman Lauren Boebert brought some insensitive snark to an interview on the topic by suggesting hammers are more lethal than firearms.
“In America, we see more deaths by hand, fist, feet, even hammers, and, you know, are we going to start legislating that away or are we going to be like these other countries who even ban knives?” Boebert said, “I mean, if hammers are the cause of more death than firearms, then maybe we need to start having background checks on hammers. I mean, look out, Black and Decker.”
According to the data platform Statista, annual deaths caused by firearms (handguns and other types) in 2019 numbered 9,649; annual deaths from personal weapons (hands, fists, feet, etc.) and blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) numbered 997. That means guns killed 8,652 more people in 2019 than personal weapons and blunt objects combined.
GOP Rep. Boebert Bizarrely Compares Firearm Killings to Murder by Hammer (RollingStone, March 27, 2021)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 07:59 AM   #88
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think many people here would agree that gun control is something that ought to happen, and that we'd be far better off if not armed. If Gaetan were making such an argument, it would be worth making, perhaps. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the argument here. Rather we're left with an ambiguous, catch-all, poorly formed statement that could apply to anything from weapons of mass destruction in the hands of government to paring knives in the hands of cooks.

It is true that we'd be better off if we did not kill each other all the time. But while it suggests a certain virtue to say so it does not impart wisdom.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:38 AM   #89
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I think many people here would agree that gun control is something that ought to happen, and that we'd be far better off if not armed. If Gaetan were making such an argument, it would be worth making, perhaps. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the argument here. Rather we're left with an ambiguous, catch-all, poorly formed statement that could apply to anything from weapons of mass destruction in the hands of government to paring knives in the hands of cooks.

It is true that we'd be better off if we did not kill each other all the time. But while it suggests a certain virtue to say so it does not impart wisdom.
That's the samething, to have weapons to protect yourself just makes more people die. Ukraine wanted weapons to protect themself but there won't be much left in their country. They build more weapons to kill as more as they can, competition.

Last edited by Gaetan; 23rd March 2022 at 08:43 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:40 AM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's the samething, to have weapons to protect yourself just makes more people die.
"Water is wet. Nobody would drown if it where dry. No I don't have the slightest beginnings of anything resembling a plan on how to make it dry."
Old 23rd March 2022, 08:56 AM   #91
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's the samething, to have weapons to protect yourself just makes more people die. Ukraine wanted weapons to protect themself but there won't be much left in their country. They build more weapons to kill as more as they can, competition.
Then again, if the Russians were successful in their invasion of Ukraine, orders of magnitude more Ukrainians might end up dying than will be killed in the defence of their country. Russia does have form in that regard.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:07 AM   #92
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Then again, if the Russians were successful in their invasion of Ukraine, orders of magnitude more Ukrainians might end up dying than will be killed in the defence of their country. Russia does have form in that regard.
It'll just make more people die on both side
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:09 AM   #93
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A) "We'll have less overall death if one side just immediately capitulates and stops fighting and lets itself get passively slaughtered instead of fighting back" is not the moral high ground you seem to think it is.

B) You still haven't, nor will ever because that's your entire routine, actually propose a solution that isn't "What if everyone just stopped?"
Old 23rd March 2022, 10:19 AM   #94
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not.

The numbers dead in the current war is in the low tens of thousands.

The numbers killed in the Holodomor is in the millions.

Weapons aren't the only way to kill people, they're not even the most effective. Disease and famine is a far more effective way of killing a lot of people in a comparatively short period of time.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 10:42 AM   #95
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Not necessarily. The history of Russian behavior in Ukraine is one of genocide and irresponsibility, and Putin is a fearsome tyrant.

In any case, if what you are arguing is a specific point of view on the Ukraine war, your original post is irrelevant anyway. Even if you disapprove of both, and even if you are right to disapprove of both, gun control with regard to individuals is an entirely separate issue from the armed defense of a nation against invasion, and even if you disapprove both of owning a gun in the home and of maintaining a military force in a nation, those things are simply not the same, even if both are wrong. Your initial post is so vague and nonspecific, both with regard to what it's about and to what should be done, that it's worthless.

I dislike pit bulldogs and cluster flies, but if I were to try to combine them in a thread, I would, I think, rightly garner criticism.

bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:01 AM   #96
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Weapons aren't the only way to kill people, they're not even the most effective. Disease and famine is a far more effective way of killing a lot of people in a comparatively short period of time.
Do you mean that the economic ambargo on Russia will kill more people?
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:07 AM   #97
sackett
Philosopher

More guns in a society more people will die because guns makes it easy to kill.
Gaetan, I fear that you lack empathy. We like our weapons. The heft, the balance, the textures -- here smooth steel, there checkered grips -- the clicking action, the quiet finality of moving the safety from off to on, the coolness of selecting full auto: who cannot love all this?

And handling ammunition! All that power barely contained in metallic-scented brass and copper! The rippling efficiency of stripping a clip into a magazine!

Even you, for all your duckling primness, would in the end be seduced by the consummation of firing: flame, exploding blows of sound, and the sweet smoke of burned double-base propellants! (Odd, the way ignorant authors always write of "acrid" gunsmoke. When quite a child, I loved that quick wisp of scent: it seemed almost a reward for good shooting.) Then you would understand. Then you would know the rightness! of being strong.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 11:15 AM   #98
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You forgot the blatant eroticism! A long hard, oiled up barrel, manipulated just the right way, resulting in a jarring burst of pent up energy that sends its recipient into oblivion!

Plus you can shoot ducks and eat them.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:22 PM   #99
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Note to self, learn to kill people with ploughshares*
A ploughshere actually could make of hell of a good blunt weapon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:24 PM   #100
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Looking at the thread title, a pole might not be a bad weapon either. Or a Pole, for that matter. Pretty scrappy bunch.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:25 PM   #101
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

Interestingly, a lot of the “deadly ninja weapons” are actually modifications of farm tools, as owning weapons was generally illegal for commoners. Rakes, threshing flails, etc were adapted for combative use.

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 23rd March 2022, 12:42 PM   #102
Fonebone
persona non grata

"Every beast preys upon another,
Man is wolf to Man." _Thomas Hobbes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellum...m_contra_omnes

All moderns weapons of war are Omnicidal and kill every living species indiscriminately.
Ban all weapons except mano a mano passive devices thereby limiting accidental injuries
and fertilizing the battleground soils with nutrients.
All great truths begin as blasphemies __Shaw

Last edited by Fonebone; 23rd March 2022 at 12:44 PM.
Fonebone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2022, 04:08 PM   #103
Gaetan
Illuminator

Not necessarily. The history of Russian behavior in Ukraine is one of genocide and irresponsibility, and Putin is a fearsome tyrant.
Could you put some link to prove it

Quote:
In any case, if what you are arguing is a specific point of view on the Ukraine war, your original post is irrelevant anyway. Even if you disapprove of both, and even if you are right to disapprove of both, gun control with regard to individuals is an entirely separate issue from the armed defense of a nation against invasion,.
Invasion for what, you are afraid that poor come to eat in your country, for what purpose an invasion? You can get everything by trade those days. Weapons threat was the cause of invasion in Ukraine, Iraq, Vietnam, Afganistan, further Iran, North Corea, Cuba, Venesuela, il you eliminate the threat of weapons, you eliminate invasions, the reason for it.

Last edited by Gaetan; 26th March 2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 26th March 2022, 04:44 PM   #104
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Invasion for what, you are afraid that poor come to eat in your country, for what purpose an invasion? You can get everything by trade those days. Weapons threat was the cause of invasion in Ukraine, Iraq, Vietnam, Afganistan, further Iran, North Corea, Cuba, Venesuela, il you eliminate the threat of weapons, you eliminate invasions, the reason for it.
So Hezbollah should unilaterally disarm right to the smallest caliber, since that will insure Israel will never invade Lebanon again. Glad we settled that- I assume you agree 100%, right?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 01:29 AM   #105
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor
Old 27th March 2022, 07:43 AM   #106
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Again, with invasion you get it all, even what they won't trade, those days or any other. Generally, the cause of invasion is that they have something you want (land, resources, control of the government or population) and that's the only (or your preferred) way to get it.

Last edited by The Man; 27th March 2022 at 07:48 AM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 07:59 AM   #107
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

If trade were the recipe to avoid invasion there would never be any invasions. We know from experience that even heavily armed countries can and do trade with each other, and even when their arms threaten each other. The fact that arms may be unnecessary is not to say that they are a bar to trade. No sane leader would invade another country if they could achieve their goal through trade. Even the rank and odorous apologists for Russian aggression are not stupid enough to suggest that trade is the reason, citing territorial, ethnic, and cultural motivations, as well as the transparently crazy idea that a small nation that gave up its nuclear arsenal in return for a promise of protection from its enormous, heavily armed, nuclear equipped neighbor, presents a threat that must be neutralized by terror, the bombing of hospitals and the gunning down of refugees.

Nor, for that matter, is it sane to invade a country that refuses trade any more than an individual. If you refuse to sell me something, or if your price for it is not acceptable to me, it is not sane or moral or reasonable for me to kill you and take it.

Old 27th March 2022, 08:26 AM   #108
Gaetan
Illuminator

No sane leader would invade another country if they could achieve their goal through trade.
Countries invade another not because they couldn't trade these days but because they are a threat to their safety.
Old 27th March 2022, 08:36 AM   #109
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Countries invade another not because they couldn't trade these days but because they are a threat to their safety.
Trade what? What country is simply going to trade you its sovereignty, land or peoples? How much should they ask for or should you have to pay for those things?
Old 27th March 2022, 09:11 AM   #110
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

And yet in the present instance this is obviously not the case.

Old 27th March 2022, 10:12 AM   #111
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
So Hezbollah should unilaterally disarm right to the smallest caliber, since that will insure Israel will never invade Lebanon again. Glad we settled that- I assume you agree 100%, right?
Why don't you answer the question? What are you afraid of?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 02:00 PM   #112
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Israel should get rid of weapons as well to make sure Hezbollah won't attack them as well.
Old 27th March 2022, 02:09 PM   #113
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Israel should get rid of weapons as well to make sure Hezbollah won't attack them as well.
A perfect solution. All you have to do now is trust that all the nations on earth will act in perfectly good faith, and disarm completely at the very same moment. Remember, it has to be 100 percent, and you have to trust everyone.

Old 27th March 2022, 02:14 PM   #114
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

But if Hezbollah disarm then they have nothing to attack Israel with.

So if Hezbollah disarm then Israel has nothing to fear from them, and, by your reasoning, they have nothing to fear from Israel.

By the same reasoning, all of the Arab states could disarm, and then there would be no wars in the Middle East, because nobody would invade or threaten anybody else, and Israel can happily keep their weapons, because if nobody around them has weapons then they have nothing to fear and no reason to attack any of their neighbours.

Congratulations, you've just solved all the problems in the Middle East.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 02:40 PM   #115
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wollery View Post

Congratulations, you've just solved all the problems in the Middle East.
Thank you my goal is to solve all the problems in the world by very simple methods like abolishing weapons, money and borders between countries, therefore by abolishing all that is not healthy.
Old 27th March 2022, 02:59 PM   #116
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, all those conflicts you mention were ideological. Putin's problem with Ukraine is the personal freedoms they have there might be heading into Russia. Which will happen even faster with Putin's imminent failure.
Old 27th March 2022, 03:20 PM   #117
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I have a small collection of hand forged traditional agriculture tools commonly used in Mexico. All of them by just plain design are effective weapons. Even the pointy iron tipped stick.

In a world without potential weapons there is no agriculture. We couldn't have the most basic tools to plant nor harvest food. Much less process it.

Is that what we want? Because we know humans won't become respectful of all others just because.
Weed slasher, modern Aylesbury Bill Hook, vintage Aylesbury Billhook with Axe Back (which could be anything from 60 to 180 years old). I also regularly use a pitchfork & occasionally a scythe. Or to put it another way. Yeah, this^

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 05:11 PM   #118
8enotto
Master Poster

Thank you my goal is to solve all the problems in the world by very simple methods like abolishing weapons, money and borders between countries, therefore by abolishing all that is not healthy.
The methods of doing so seem to be missing from your ideals.
Is this another Underwear Gnomes solution or is there a real plan backing up the dream?
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 05:17 PM   #119
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Interesting that you ignore the entire rest of my post...

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2022, 06:22 PM   #120
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The methods of doing so seem to be missing from your ideals.
Is this another Underwear Gnomes solution or is there a real plan backing up the dream?
We could start here in Canada to abolish money, weapons and borders then others countries will joint us and do the samething untill all countries abolish borders, money and weapons. It is just as simple as that.

Last edited by Gaetan; 27th March 2022 at 06:23 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events