IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 17 29.82%
Disagree 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 31st March 2022, 12:40 PM   #201
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,106
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
This is one of Gaetan's repeated flights of nonsense. He claims that your taking the $0.00 item proves you don't value the work of the producer. No. You assume the gift is made for a reason and everyone in the supply chain got paid. The important question is why is it free. If, as Gaetan seems to imagine, the producer does not get paid then the person who does not value their work is the one who set the price, not the customer who takes it.

The fundamental problem with Gaetan's utopia is that it depends on everyone cooperating when all motivation to do so is removed and when every impediment to cheating is similarly removed.

I note that people who have all the material wealth they could wish for do not generally volunteer to collect trash or scrub hospital floors to help out through some sense of fairness. I mean they might altruistically volunteer to pay someone else to do it, but that can't happen in a world with no money. I wonder if Gaetan thinks they would start to do so if he became emperor of Canada.
Today I collected a number of pens, notebooks, mugs, water bottles, vacuum flasks, mice, thumbdrives, USB cables and chargers, LED torches, chocolates at cetera. To an estimated value of 6-800 Euro, for free. The distributors of said swag were quite happy for me to do this, given it was marketing material to promote their various businesses.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:09 PM   #202
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by jond View Post
You are utterly and entirely ill informed and very very wrong. I have a Ukrainian mother and daughter living with me now, for as long as they need to be here. We just finished a video chat with her husband who had to remain behind to fight. I can absolutely positively guarantee you that the vast majority of the Ukrainian population does not want to live under Russian control. And that was before the genocidal maniac Putin invaded. Everything you have posted is as wrong as wrong can be. Grow up.
The misery in this country could have been avoided if their government was not corrupted by money. All he had to say is that this country will remain neutral and will not be a threat to Russia by getting rid of its weapons.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:11 PM   #203
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The misery in this country could have been avoided if their government was not corrupted by money. All he had to say is that this country will remain neutral and will not be a threat to Russia by getting rid of its weapons.
And then what would stop Russia from just walking in and taking everything?
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:23 PM   #204
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And then what would stop Russia from just walking in and taking everything?
Because it doesn't make sence, that country belongs to people who live there, the russian government won't take a Ukrainian from his appartment and put a russian there, russian live in their country and ukrainians live in his country, this is not as the past where acadians were deported in New Orleans
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:30 PM   #205
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Because it doesn't make sence, that country belongs to people who live there, the russian government won't take a Ukrainian from his appartment and put a russian there, russian live in their country and ukrainians live in his country, this is not as the past where acadians were deported in New Orleans
Why not? They've done it before.
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:34 PM   #206
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Why not? They've done it before.
prove it
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:35 PM   #207
jond
Illuminator
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The misery in this country could have been avoided if their government was not corrupted by money. All he had to say is that this country will remain neutral and will not be a threat to Russia by getting rid of its weapons.
Absolute rubbish. You are utterly wrong.
jond is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:39 PM   #208
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
prove it
I already did.

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:47 PM   #209
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by jond View Post
Absolute rubbish. You are utterly wrong.
no it is the true, that Zelinski have investment in panama paper it is well know, he is corrupted, he suspended political partys, he run his country as a terrorist.

Last edited by Gaetan; 31st March 2022 at 05:48 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:55 PM   #210
jond
Illuminator
 
jond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
no it is the true, that Zelinski have investment in panama paper it is well know, he is corrupted, he suspended political partys, he run his country as a terrorist.
Nope. The whole reason Putin invaded is because he doesnít believe Ukraine should exist as a separate country. It all goes back to Ukraine overthrowing Putinís stooge in 2014. Zelensky has, as had his predecessor, been actively trying to align with Europe more than Russia. Which is what the people of Ukraine want. Putinís claim that Stalin was generous to Ukraine is absurd, as Arthwollipotís link will show you. Putin wants to finish the job that Stalin began.
jond is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:13 PM   #211
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
Since I'm pretty sure Gaetan isn't going to click that link and read about it, I'll summarise it:

In 1932 and 1933 there was a famine in the Soviet Union. So the Soviets said "That's okay, we'll just take all of Ukraine's food." And they went in and took it. All of it. All of the markets, all of the farms, all of the granaries - all were emptied and the stolen food was shipped back to Russia. Some 5 million Ukrainians starved to death. Russians were sent in to occupy the now-vacant housing, which is how Russian enclaves were created in Ukraine in the first place.

Holodomor is a Ukrainian word that means "to kill by starvation".

Yeah, this is one reason why Ukrainians really do not like the Russians.
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 06:33 PM   #212
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I already did.
Some people said that Stalin committed a genocide when others say not. I don't know but if it was intentionnal it was because Stalin thought that ukraine would be threat to his regime. He could think that Ukrainians would take arms against him. Then what i say remain true, if you want to live in peace get rid of arms, get rid of threat against other countries you won't be bother.

Last edited by Gaetan; 31st March 2022 at 06:36 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 07:02 PM   #213
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Some people said that Stalin committed a genocide when others say not. I don't know but if it was intentionnal it was because Stalin thought that ukraine would be threat to his regime. He could think that Ukrainians would take arms against him. Then what i say remain true, if you want to live in peace get rid of arms, get rid of threat against other countries you won't be bother.
Ukraine was a Soviet Socialist Republic at the time. Stalin already had it. Its armed forces were Soviet. Its government was Soviet. Its people were citizens of the Soviet Union. They were no threat.
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 08:19 PM   #214
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Ukraine was a Soviet Socialist Republic at the time. Stalin already had it. Its armed forces were Soviet. Its government was Soviet. Its people were citizens of the Soviet Union. They were no threat.
this is not the conclusion we cold make with the iink you put
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:14 PM   #215
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster
 
Little 10 Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Directly above the center of the Earth
Posts: 2,497
Gaetan, why do you not answer my request? It is because you realize your idea does not pass any scrutinization?

Please explain why the free of charge product is free.
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:16 PM   #216
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,574
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
this is not the conclusion we cold make with the iink you put
What part of that article confuses you? Are you unsure of whether Ukraine was a part of the Soviet Union at the time of the holodomor?

In your earlier post about the Acadians being deported "in" New Orleans, was that a glitch in language? You do, I hope, realize they were deported "in" Nova Scotia.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 11:20 PM   #217
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
this is not the conclusion we cold make with the iink you put
I think you didn't read it properly, because there is nothing in there that suggests that the Soviet Union saw Ukraine as a threat. Just as a source of food.
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 07:15 AM   #218
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!
 
wollery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,163
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Some people said that Stalin committed a genocide when others say not. I don't know but if it was intentionnal it was because Stalin thought that ukraine would be threat to his regime. He could think that Ukrainians would take arms against him. Then what i say remain true, if you want to live in peace get rid of arms, get rid of threat against other countries you won't be bother.
If what you say is true, then all Putin has to do to guarantee peace, and ensure that Ukraine isn't a threat is to completely disarm Russia.

Why aren't you advocating for Russian disarmament to solve this problem?
__________________
"You're a sick SOB. You know that, Wollery?" - Roadtoad

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 12:52 PM   #219
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,106
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Hook?
Which side?
Auto-mistake strikes again.
One of the dockers who fought the fascists.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 01:58 PM   #220
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster
 
Little 10 Toes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Directly above the center of the Earth
Posts: 2,497
and yet you run away when asked direct questions? Why is that?

Please explain why the free of charge product is free.
Little 10 Toes is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 04:54 PM   #221
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 5,029
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Criminals came to power because of inequalities and social injustices, to get rid of that you have to get rid of money, to do what i propose.
Unfortunately in the case of countries like Russia, criminals in power are what they've come to expect and accept. Putin has already taken the money, and now he wants his idea of greatness. He wants to rule the old territories of Russia, including Ukraine, and he's willing to kill all the innocents he needs in order to get it, all for the sake of his ego.

Your childish philosophies have no place in the real world, where people are dying. Putin is a war criminal, and you make excuses for Russia's aggression.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 04:44 AM   #222
sarge
Philosopher
Moderator
 
sarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 8,500
Mod WarningStay on-topic, please
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:sarge
__________________
My previous signature risked (unknowingly) violating the Hatch Act!
sarge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 06:15 AM   #223
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,093
You'll have to pry my zamburak from my camel's cold, dead humps.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 06:23 AM   #224
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 25,362
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Some people said that Stalin committed a genocide when others say not. I don't know but if it was intentionnal it was because Stalin thought that ukraine would be threat to his regime. He could think that Ukrainians would take arms against him. Then what i say remain true, if you want to live in peace get rid of arms, get rid of threat against other countries you won't be bother.
If it weren't for Ukrainian arms and the arms NATO and other democracies are sending, the Russians would be at the Polish border by now. The only thing stopping the Russians are the arms the Ukrainians have. If Russians don't want to be killed by Ukrainians, all they have to do is leave.
__________________
Fight like a Ukrainian.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 08:14 AM   #225
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 33,346
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Some people said that Stalin committed a genocide when others say not. I don't know but if it was intentionnal it was because Stalin thought that ukraine would be threat to his regime. He could think that Ukrainians would take arms against him.
So you're saying it was Ukraine's fault because, even though they didn't have any weapons, Stalin thought they might get some one day? Because if "being the sort of person Stalin wouldn't trust" is a crime, everyone who ever lived is guilty.

Dave
__________________
There is truth and there are lies.

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 10:52 AM   #226
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,574
So the argument seems to be that the genocidal part of Stalin's enormous historic crime was peripheral to his monstrous overreaction to perceived threat. The horror was perpetrated on Ukraine, and it is just bad luck (and their own fault no doubt) that Ukraine happened to be full of Ukrainians.

This is the "don't take it personally, it's just business" argument uttered by the mafia hitman before he blows your head off, or the sheriff as he throws your furniture out on the street.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:53 AM   #227
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 16,523
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No doubt you could cut your bread with a misericorde as easily as I've cut branches with a Swiss bayonet. And useful as is a machete for hacking through the puckerbrush, one cannot forget the Mau Mau of old or the militias of today. Still, I think it reasonable to suggest that weapons which lack reasonable alternative functions would be better off gone even if the result is not perfect. You can kill with a deer rifle, but you do not need a machine gun to hunt deer, and you can blow up a building with fertilizer but you can't enrich your field with land mines.

So I'll grant that much to Gaetan. Arms control is good. Peace is good. So, some say, is motherhood, apple pie, baseball, a chicken in every pot, and some might go so far as to include a five cent cigar. We get that part. Now, however, our sage philosopher of the good and holy must start thinking wisely about the practicalities of getting there. This, I'm afraid, has not yet occurred, and I do not harbor great confidence that it shall.
Yep, arms control and peace are good, but one gets neither by being just cartoon scale unrealistic.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:40 PM   #228
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 16,523
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
This is a lie but if it would be true it would'nt bother the people who live there, you can eliminate the borders of Canada it doesn't bother me.
You are nether the entirety of Canada nor of the Ukraine. Evidently it bothers some as they are fighting against it.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 07:16 PM   #229
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 76,975
I for one look forward to Gaetan's Utopia where nobody is aggressive towards everyone else, there are no weapons of any kind anywhere, and everybody works for free because gosh darn it's the nice thing to do.

I eagerly anticipate Gaetan bringing this ideal to reality. I hope it's soon.
__________________
Слава Україні
Героям слава
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2022, 12:05 PM   #230
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,892
Mod WarningSeveral posts sent to AAH for being off-topic. This thread is specifically about abandoning weapons. There are other threads about everything being free. Consider this a more stern warning to please keep to the topic of the thread.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:xjx388
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 06:24 AM   #231
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 14,123
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Some people said that Stalin committed a genocide when others say not. I don't know but if it was intentionnal it was because Stalin thought that ukraine would be threat to his regime. He could think that Ukrainians would take arms against him. Then what i say remain true, if you want to live in peace get rid of arms, get rid of threat against other countries you won't be bother.
I do hope that the recent discoveries of large number of helpless Ukrainians who have been murdered by Russians has clearly shown you that your contention that peace can be obtained by getting rid of weapons is a contention that is very, very wrong.
__________________
"But Presidents are not kings, and Plaintiff is not President." - Judge Chutkan

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 02:53 PM   #232
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,574
Even if the goal of getting rid of arms and getting rid of threats is a good one and even if it is true that doing so would bring lasting peace etc. etc. saying this is essentially meaningless.

Here's an idea. Let's solve the energy crisis by finding cheap new renewable fuel and doing away with nasty old fossil fuel! There, I have come up with a genius idea, everyone pat me on the back and tell me how right I am. Now that I've done the heavy lifting of ideas, I'll let some other suckers do the boring work of actually figuring out how to make it happen.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 06:05 AM   #233
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I do hope that the recent discoveries of large number of helpless Ukrainians who have been murdered by Russians has clearly shown you that your contention that peace can be obtained by getting rid of weapons is a contention that is very, very wrong.
Threat and fear are the reason of war in 2022 and in the previous 100 years. Arms are a threat for the survival of humanity not the opposite.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 07:17 AM   #234
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,574
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Threat and fear are the reason of war in 2022 and in the previous 100 years. Arms are a threat for the survival of humanity not the opposite.
No doubt the Russians are performing a service to humanity, because they were so so afraid that Ukraine would bomb their hospitals and assassinate their citizens if they didn't do it first. No doubt, in your odd calculations, with the nuclear weapons they gave up in return for a guarantee from Russia that they would never do exactly what they are doing.

Of course if you want to disarm the world one way to do it is to let the biggest, greediest country with the most megalomaniacal dictator just take over everything. Once it's all done, they won't need any more weapons. The threat is contained, and of course since the world dictator is sure to be a sane and rational humanitarian, the rumor of paranoid fantasies decreed to have been fake news all along, he'll beat them all into plowshares. I think an argument might be found against this plan, but it might be too subtle for you to grasp.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 07:27 AM   #235
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 5,029
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Threat and fear are the reason of war in 2022 and in the previous 100 years. Arms are a threat for the survival of humanity not the opposite.
Utter nonsense. It was Putin's ego and ambition that caused him to invade Ukraine, and if they hadn't fought back, they would've lost their country.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 07:40 AM   #236
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,520
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Utter nonsense. It was Putin's ego and ambition that caused him to invade Ukraine, and if they hadn't fought back, they would've lost their country.
He invate Ukraine because Zelinski planned to have missiles, to be in NATO and to have atome bomb and a threat close to Russia.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 07:50 AM   #237
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,654
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He invate Ukraine because Zelinski planned to have missiles, to be in NATO and to have atome bomb and a threat close to Russia.
Drivel.
__________________
"To me, Hitler is the greatest man who ever lived. He truly is without fault, so simple and at the same time possessed of masculine strength"
-Leni Riefenstahl
Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 08:17 AM   #238
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,574
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He invate Ukraine because Zelinski planned to have missiles, to be in NATO and to have atome bomb and a threat close to Russia.
What utter ********. Ukraine was once one of the biggest nuclear powers on earth. They signed on to the NPT, and sent their nuclear warheads back to Russia. Learn some history. Or at least try to learn something!
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 08:47 AM   #239
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,106
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
What utter ********. Ukraine was once one of the biggest nuclear powers on earth. They signed on to the NPT, and sent their nuclear warheads back to Russia. Learn some history. Or at least try to learn something!
A terrible mistake on their part as subsequent events have shown.
Events that are contributing to the demise of the NPT.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 09:14 AM   #240
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 7,487
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He invate Ukraine because Zelinski planned to have missiles, to be in NATO and to have atome bomb and a threat close to Russia.
You're not very good at this.
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:18 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.