IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 17 29.82%
Disagree 40 70.18%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th April 2022, 10:57 AM   #241
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
A terrible mistake on their part as subsequent events have shown.
Events that are contributing to the demise of the NPT.
The mistake would be to have atome bombs, drop it in Russia, they would do the same and as a result that pollution would cause death on the whole planet, wind carrying radiation all over the planet causing death on billion of people. A wise thing would have been to get rid of all arms, they would have kept all their states including Crimea and be good friend of Russia., they want to play rough, Russia played rough.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 11:04 AM   #242
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Threat and fear are the reason of war in 2022 and in the previous 100 years. Arms are a threat for the survival of humanity not the opposite.
Tell that to the Ukrainians who are currently surviving, only, by force of arms.
Old 9th April 2022, 11:09 AM   #243
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

The mistake would be to have atome bombs, drop it in Russia, they would do the same and as a result that pollution would cause death on the whole planet, wind carrying radiation all over the planet causing death on billion of people. A wise thing would have been to get rid of all arms, they would have kept all their states including Crimea and be good friend of Russia., they want to play rough, Russia played rough.
They did gave up their nuclear arms based on an assurance of sovereignty from Russia that Russia has recently blatantly ignored.
Old 9th April 2022, 12:31 PM   #244
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
They did gave up their nuclear arms based on an assurance of sovereignty from Russia that Russia has recently blatantly ignored.
When they get rid of their atome bombs they were good but they became no good trying to get it back.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 01:12 PM   #245
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

When they get rid of their atome bombs they were good but they became no good trying to get it back.
How many more of Russia's neighbours do you believe are trying to develop their own nuclear weapons? Is Finland? Latvia? Lithuania? Estonia? Moldova? Georgia? Poland? Turkey?

Asking for some friends.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 01:33 PM   #246
eerok
Quixoticist

NATO is a defensive pact. Putin is an offensive douche.

Stop lying about Ukraine.
Old 9th April 2022, 01:38 PM   #247
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Tell the truth... you're actually a comedic performance artist, right. Be honest.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2022, 02:10 PM   #248
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

They didn't try to get them back. Why would Russia even give them back?
Old 9th April 2022, 09:24 PM   #249
8enotto
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Even if the goal of getting rid of arms and getting rid of threats is a good one and even if it is true that doing so would bring lasting peace etc. etc. saying this is essentially meaningless.

Here's an idea. Let's solve the energy crisis by finding cheap new renewable fuel and doing away with nasty old fossil fuel! There, I have come up with a genius idea, everyone pat me on the back and tell me how right I am. Now that I've done the heavy lifting of ideas, I'll let some other suckers do the boring work of actually figuring out how to make it happen.
This does depend heavily on the underwear gnomes finding a huge pile of question marks for the process part of the plan.

Our op does show a bit of a disconnect with human nature and reality.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2022, 01:07 AM   #250
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
How many more of Russia's neighbours do you believe are trying to develop their own nuclear weapons? Is Finland? Latvia? Lithuania? Estonia? Moldova? Georgia? Poland? Turkey?

Asking for some friends.
Actually at least two of those countries are considering abandoning the NPT and developing nuclear weapons, given the Putinist threat.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2022, 05:07 AM   #251
eerok
Quixoticist

Having weapons or not makes no difference. Aggressors will just lie about it anyway.

How a QAnon conspiracy theory about Ukraine bioweapons became mainstream disinformation (cbc.ca)
Quote:
Five weeks ago, that conspiracy theory was little more than a fringe belief. Today, it is an official stated reason for Russia's brutal invasion. And it could be a sign of what President Vladimir Putin is plotting next.
The idea of everyone giving up their weapons relies on the good faith and trust of everyone involved, which is what makes it a stupid, childish fantasy.
Old 10th April 2022, 08:45 AM   #252
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Having weapons or not makes no difference. Aggressors will just lie about it anyway.

How a QAnon conspiracy theory about Ukraine bioweapons became mainstream disinformation (cbc.ca)

The idea of everyone giving up their weapons relies on the good faith and trust of everyone involved, which is what makes it a stupid, childish fantasy.
From the 1959 movie Ben-Hur, Hugh Griffith as Sheik Ilderim...

Quote:
Balthasar is a good man. But until all men are like him, we must keep our swords bright!
Old 12th April 2022, 05:26 PM   #253
Gaetan
Illuminator

They didn't try to get them back. Why would Russia even give them back?
Zelinski planned to have atom bombs and missiles to throw it, to have weapons was his mistake and resulted in war in his country:

https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/...uclear-fantasy

https://empr.media/culture/tech/hype...ot%20disclosed

Last edited by Gaetan; 12th April 2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12th April 2022, 05:43 PM   #254
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Zelinski planned to have atom bombs and missiles to throw it, to have weapons was his mistake and resulted in war in his country:

Putin-propaganda drivel. Ukrainian men women and children being brutalized by Putin, and you quote the criminal to attack the victim. What cowardice.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2022, 04:57 PM   #255
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Did you see where the British and Americans are giving armored vehicles to Ukraine? When I last looked, it was more than 300. We're also giving Ukraine heavy artillery and 300 drones that can strike Russian armor. That's all on top of thousands of anti-tank missiles and millions of rounds of ammunition from all over NATO.

Don't worry; Russian soldiers have come up with a way to avoid being killed by Ukrainians. They use their vehicles to run over their own officers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tern-officials
Old 13th April 2022, 06:16 PM   #256
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

First link is showing an article that has a rt.com byline.

Second link has no other supporting sources/cites.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 12:23 AM   #257
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/14/europ...-ml/index.html

Hey, how about a new poll? Maybe about how Russia should leave and stop getting killed with all the weapons we've sent the Ukrainians.
Old 14th April 2022, 03:36 AM   #258
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/14/europ...-ml/index.html

Hey, how about a new poll? Maybe about how Russia should leave and stop getting killed with all the weapons we've sent the Ukrainians.
Nah, according to the Russian claims, the Russian warship "****** itself"

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 08:42 AM   #259
Gaetan
Illuminator

As you see in Ukraine the plan to be in NATO, have atom bombs and missiles was not a guaranty of safety, they would be better off if these plans don't exist. Now Finland and Sweden think about to be in NATO but it will only make them on the list to be bombed in case of an nuclear war, not a good idea.

Last edited by Gaetan; 14th April 2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 14th April 2022, 08:50 AM   #260
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

As you see in Ukraine the plan to be in NATO, have atom bombs and missiles was not a guaranty of safety, they would be better off if these plans don't exist. Now Finland and Sweden think about to be in NATO but it will only make them on the list to be bombed in case of an nuclear war, not a good idea.
If only Russia would give up all its weapons, none of this would be a problem. Don't you agree?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 08:58 AM   #261
eerok
Quixoticist

As you see in Ukraine the plan to be in NATO, have atom bombs and missiles was not a guaranty of safety, they would be better off if these plans don't exist.
Ukraine just wants its freedom.

Now Finland and Sweden think about to be in NATO but it will only make them on the list to be bombed in case of an nuclear war, not a good idea.
In the case of nuclear war, we're all screwed.

Due to their proximity to a vicious, narcissistic tyrant (Putin), Finland and Sweden are smart to join a defensive alliance like NATO.
Old 14th April 2022, 09:23 AM   #262
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If only Russia would give up all its weapons, none of this would be a problem. Don't you agree?

Dave
If i would be Putin i would get rid of all my weapons but Putin is not like me but like you fellows.
Old 14th April 2022, 09:34 AM   #263
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If i would be Putin i would get rid of all my weapons but Putin is not like me but like you fellows.
Gee whiz!

You are so very wrong about so many things.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 09:37 AM   #264
trustbutverify
Philosopher

You adore Putin.
Old 14th April 2022, 11:30 AM   #265
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

So you feel that Putin is wrong not to give up all his weapons?

Dave

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 02:27 PM   #266
Gaetan
Illuminator

So you feel that Putin is wrong not to give up all his weapons?

Dave
Off course he is.
Old 14th April 2022, 02:39 PM   #267
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

I believe there is a rule against insulting forum members.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 03:21 PM   #268
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
I believe there is a rule against insulting forum members.
But not about insulting their intelligence.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 03:49 PM   #269
Dave Rogers

Off course he is.
And is he also at fault for using them?

Dave

Old 14th April 2022, 04:44 PM   #270
Gaetan
Illuminator

And is he also at fault for using them?

Dave
Off course he should give all his bombs to Ukraine since Zelinski wants to have it.
Old 14th April 2022, 05:00 PM   #271
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Off course he should give all his bombs to Ukraine since Zelinski wants to have it.
I think he's trying to be sarcastic, but it's like watching a Thermian trying to write fiction for the first time.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 05:14 PM   #272
eerok
Quixoticist

Zelensky would be thrilled if the Russia invaders just got the hell out of his country.

Last edited by eerok; 14th April 2022 at 05:16 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2022, 07:17 PM   #273
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
I think he's trying to be sarcastic, but it's like watching a Thermian trying to write fiction for the first time.
"Never give up, mmmmmNever Surender"
--Malthazar, or maybe a Ukranian
Old 14th April 2022, 07:35 PM   #274
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
"Never give up, mmmmmNever Surender"
--Malthazar, or maybe a Ukranian
Ha!................. Ha!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2022, 12:55 AM   #275
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Or... Эта сука Путин is going to be attacked by NATO if he tries to invade Sweden and/or Finland. Nuclear deterrence works both ways. In a nuclear exchange, Russia would cease to exist as a polity. I think it more likely that the security services would simply murder Putin (no big loss) if he attempted to use nuclear weapons.

The easy way for Putin to avoid being made NATO's bitch yet again is stay inside his own borders. That's all the Nicky, I mean Vlady has to do; not send troops across into other countries. Nearly every other country on earth manages this simple thing. Is Vlady just too stupid to understand that or does he like being made to look the fool?
Old 15th April 2022, 02:47 AM   #276
Dave Rogers

We know this is a lie because Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons. In fact, Ukraine did exactly what you advocate, Russia didn't, and then Russia attacked Ukraine. If you wanted to refute your own argument you could hardly have chosen a better example.

Dave

Old 15th April 2022, 02:50 PM   #277
cullennz
Banned

Can we get a definition of a "weapon"?

I did Tae Kwon Do for years as a kid and the teacher bloke used to do side classes on how to defend yourself disable someone with a pen.

Bit John Wick, I know, but true.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2022, 02:53 PM   #278
cullennz
Banned

Think purely memory 20 years ago it was called Aikodo or something
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2022, 02:09 PM   #279
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

They had nuclear weapons and gave them up for the promise of sovereignty from Russia. Russia has violated that sovereignty, so shouldn't it give back those weapons (undetonated)?

You keep harping on Ukrainian having weapons but seem to ignore Russia having weapons and attacking.
Old 18th April 2022, 10:03 PM   #280
Gaetan
Illuminator

They had nuclear weapons and gave them up for the promise of sovereignty from Russia. Russia has violated that sovereignty, so shouldn't it give back those weapons (undetonated)?

You keep harping on Ukrainian having weapons but seem to ignore Russia having weapons and attacking.
Putin should give his weapons to Zelinski since he wants them, it is not living as good people to have weapons.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events