IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 24th May 2022, 09:09 PM   #161
Lurch
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,176
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As long as you have such a backwards SYSTEM in your House of Government, that allows the MINORITY to dictate to the MAJORITY what legislation can be passed, NO presdient can ever be held to blame for not getting things done.

As long as you have such a backwards judicial system that gives wholly unqualified people lifetime appointments to your highest court, a system that allows one party to have dominance and influence over laws YEARS after those who appointed them have gone from office, you will continue to suffer things like having religious and political dogma take away your human rights and ability to change laws that YOUR PEOPLE want changed!!!!


You need to do away with the filibuster, permanently and for everything. No other civilized country in the world has a system where the majority needs the consent of the minority to pass laws and legislation.

You need to do away with Presidential nominations and political appointments of Judges, and instead, have experience and qualifications as the basis for the various levels of federal benches.

You need to do away with lifetime appointments to the benches of the Circuit Courts and SCOTUS. Six years maximum term followed by three years standdown before possible reappointment with a maximum to two terms, and forced retirement at 65.

The system in America is broken, badly. Nothing in America is going to change until the system changes.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 09:11 PM   #162
Meadmaker
Guest
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 29,033
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I think the primary focus being on "assault weapons" is a mistake. I think more widespread restrictions on age of purchase, training and licensing requirements, checks/waiting periods, etc. are of more value.

Well, if those other things are of more value, then the "assault weapon" restrictions must be of some value. Therefore, all of the above seem like good ideas to me.

I know that the "assault weapons" issue is problematic because of definitions, but it's not so hard that a bunch of legislators with paid staffs couldn't make it work pretty well. Sure, as soon as you pass the law, the lawyers will be poring over it to find loopholes, but that's to be expected. That isn't a reason to avoid passing the law.


Quote:
The ideas of banning guns in general are just pie-in-the-sky stuff. Screeching about that is a waste of time, and counter productive.
I agree. Has anyone done that here? I haven't noticed it. I just skimmed some of the posts, though. Maybe someone said it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 09:14 PM   #163
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,676
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Those photos apparently have been confirmed. The latest social media rumor is that he was transgender, with photos of him cross-dressing circulating online. Those seem highly suspect.
There are also rumors that he is an "illegal immigrant", but those aren't true either.

ETA: The transgender photo claims are definitively untrue. They are taken from unrelated posts made by an innocent person on Reddit. The same person has posted that they're aware of the rumors using their photos but they're obviously not the shooter, who is dead.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 24th May 2022 at 09:19 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 09:15 PM   #164
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,219
So now it's 19 kids not 18? I hope this news report is wrong.

Gunman kills 19 children, 2 teachers at Texas elementary

Quote:
The carnage began with the 18-year-old suspect, identified as Salvador Ramos, shooting his own grandmother, who survived, authorities said.
This part I hope is true.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th May 2022 at 09:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 09:18 PM   #165
Lurch
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,176
Anyone who is implacably opposed to sensible gun reform should be made to visit a massacre by gunfire immediately after the smoke clears. To hear the moans of the maimed, and the agonal breathing of the soon-to-die. To see the blood and brain matter. To smell the blood and piss and ****.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 09:26 PM   #166
crescent
Illuminator
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,906
Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Those photos apparently have been confirmed. The latest social media rumor is that he was transgender, with photos of him cross-dressing circulating online. Those seem highly suspect.
I can't find the link now, but I gather that some of the "chans" (4 chan and the like) are circulating photos of a transgender person who has the same name as the shooter. It's not the shooter, just a person who unfortunately shares the same name.

But fits an agenda to claim that the shooter is trans, so haters are going to run with that. When it gets proven to not be the same person, they'll just explain it away with stupid hateful conspiracy theories if they ever even notice that their dumb trans theory has been debunked. Because people suck and that's the modern way of things.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 09:43 PM   #167
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,219
Between Roe V Wade and the Republican legislators refusing common sense gun control measures I hope the voters defeat all these GOP bastards in Nov.

Yes, that is pie in the sky but as has been said today, enough is enough.

And a border patrol agent who didn't wait for back-up and is said to have taken out the shooter, that man is a hero!

Some of the kids at the school have parents in the border patrol.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th May 2022 at 09:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:25 PM   #168
erlando
Master Poster
 
erlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,295
Now now. We have to remember that even though this doesn't happen anywhere else in the civilized world the USA is special and cannot be compared to anywhere else. These 19 school kids between 9 and 11 years old and their teachers are a necessary and acceptable sacrifice to uphold the sacred rights of a free people.

Thoughts and prayers, and then we move on like nothing happened.

See you back here next time where we'll go through the same ritual again.
__________________
"If it can grow, it can evolve" - Eugenie Scott, Ph.D Creationism disproved?
Evolution IS a blind watchmaker
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:29 PM   #169
Meadmaker
Guest
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 29,033
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Now now. We have to remember that even though this doesn't happen anywhere else in the civilized world the USA is special and cannot be compared to anywhere else. These 19 school kids between 9 and 11 years old and their teachers are a necessary and acceptable sacrifice to uphold the sacred rights of a free people.

Thoughts and prayers, and then we move on like nothing happened.

See you back here next time where we'll go through the same ritual again.
The thread will be up and running, waiting for the next one.

And we probably won't have to wait all that long.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:31 PM   #170
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,106
A company or parent should take these shootings into account before deciding to move to Texas for tax reasons.
__________________
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:36 PM   #171
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 7,001
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
At least 21 dead including 18 children, according to this tweet from a journalist.

https://twitter.com/StefSimanowitz/s...44198175657986

This is horrendous. It's worse than Dunblane.

ETA: The BBC is still on 14 children and a teacher, but I think they're just behind the curve.
To be utterly crass for a moment, the USA has 45 million kids under the age of 12. 21 of them no longer here doesn't make that much of a difference.

That many kids will die in automobile accidents over the next 5 days.

This is terrible! Just what the hell is it with US culture that even suggests killing a bunch of kids and a teacher or two is in any way an answer to any personal problems the gunman may have had?
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:37 PM   #172
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,247
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
We need to invest in the safety of our children by hardening our schools. Security guards named Kevin. Ballistic blankets. Armed faculty. Don't teach children CRT; teach them MMA.
Yeah, but check out his Call of Duty stats.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:42 PM   #173
Meadmaker
Guest
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 29,033
Here's a bit of interesting news:

"As he tried to enter the school, he was engaged by school district police officers, but was still able to enter the building and go into multiple classrooms, DPS Sgt. Erick Estrada said. Authorities say he was armed with a rifle and carrying a backpack."

So, the school apparently had police (plural) on premises. Armed? I would think so.

And yet, this dude killed 21 anyway.

Good guys with guns didn't prevent the murders. Well, one other good guy with a gun did stop the killing, so that's good. Hwoever, the point is that even if you have armed guards, the killer is acting with the element of surprise. The good guys couldn't stop him in time.

I suppose we'll learn a bit more soon about exactly what the school cops did, and why they weren't able to prevent the mass murder.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:46 PM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,326
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Why is it that an uncooperative Democratic Congress can't seem to stop a willful Republican President.
False equivalence. Biden cannot issue XO's regarding gun control measures. Those have to be passed by Congress.


Quote:
Which I do once every few months when he does jack **** about serious problems.
Thanks for proving my point.

Quote:
But go on, sling handfuls of **** all you like.
If you don't like it, stop providing it in the first place.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:46 PM   #175
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,247
Re: comparison stats of causes of death.

Most comparisons will make no mention of those deaths occurring despite numerous systems and processes in place to minimize the occurrences. More could be done, naturally, but whether a result of diminishing returns or just no further practical means available, more effort won't change it much.

That's far and away different than something we've done essentially nothing to stop.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:47 PM   #176
erlando
Master Poster
 
erlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,295
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is America the only place that calls Elementary Schools 'targets'?
Yes. It speaks volumes.
__________________
"If it can grow, it can evolve" - Eugenie Scott, Ph.D Creationism disproved?
Evolution IS a blind watchmaker
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:50 PM   #177
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,219
No Lie Brian Tyler Cohen
Quote:
NEW: Furious NBA coach Steve Kerr just gave a MUST-SEE response to the Texas shooting, STORMED OFF.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Quote:
Democrat Chris Murphy just gave the speech of the year amid the latest tragedy in Texas.
"What are we doing?"
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:53 PM   #178
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,326
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Now now. We have to remember that even though this doesn't happen anywhere else in the civilized world the USA is special and cannot be compared to anywhere else. These 19 school kids between 9 and 11 years old and their teachers are a necessary and acceptable sacrifice to uphold the sacred rights of a free people.

Thoughts and prayers, and then we move on like nothing happened.

See you back here next time where we'll go through the same ritual again.
Isn't that the truth!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 10:59 PM   #179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,219
James Corden's Message After the Texas School Shooting:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


He has young kids of his own and a perspective as a person from the UK.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 11:01 PM   #180
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,247
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No Lie Brian Tyler Cohen

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE






"What are we doing?"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I had to wait for a basketball coach to provide a bit of catharsis in this troubled time.

Which, even with the slight lift, is really depressing.

ETA: Kerr's father was shot dead while serving as President of the American University of Beirut. I would say he has some moral authority on the subject of gun violence.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 24th May 2022 at 11:07 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 11:16 PM   #181
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,326
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No Lie Brian Tyler Cohen
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE



"What are we doing?"
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Good for Steve Kerr and well said. His point about the 50 Senators is spot on. The majority of GOP senators refuse to support a bill expanding background checks. Delphic Oracle blamed Biden:

Quote:
Telling us "we" have to do something? WE ELECTED YOU TO LEAD MOTHER ******!
(post 144)

He has tried to lead but you can't lead those who don't want to be led:


Quote:
Senate Republicans said on Thursday they will force a vote to try to nix President Biden’s “ghost guns” rule, pushing a fight over gun laws onto the chamber’s agenda.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas) said that he will introduce a resolution along with Sens. James Lankford (Okla.), Mike Braun (Ind.) and Mike Lee (Utah) to block the Justice Department regulation.
https://thehill.com/news/senate/3267...ost-guns-rule/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 11:39 PM   #182
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,676
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Here's a bit of interesting news:

"As he tried to enter the school, he was engaged by school district police officers, but was still able to enter the building and go into multiple classrooms, DPS Sgt. Erick Estrada said. Authorities say he was armed with a rifle and carrying a backpack."

So, the school apparently had police (plural) on premises. Armed? I would think so.

And yet, this dude killed 21 anyway.

Good guys with guns didn't prevent the murders. Well, one other good guy with a gun did stop the killing, so that's good. Hwoever, the point is that even if you have armed guards, the killer is acting with the element of surprise. The good guys couldn't stop him in time.
That's right. And it goes to show why Texas AG Paxton and others who insist that the answer is more armed guards, police, and/or arming teachers are simply mistaken. The killer in this case was already engaged by multiple armed responders and was still able to enter the classroom(s) (some law enforcement quotes suggest more than one, unclear) and shoot at least 30 victims when the children sent to the hospital wounded but alive are included along with the dead.

And this isn't exactly a revelation. Conservatives were quick to make fun of the 2015 Charlie Hebdo shooting, insisting that the result (12 dead, 11 injured in one office) could easily have been reduced or even prevented altogether if France had more permissive gun laws and even one of the victims in the office been carrying a firearm for protection. One gun rights group attempted to prove this by staging an elaborate simulation of the known conditions of the attack (room layout, number of people, ambush by two gunmen) and arming one of the "victims" and the "terrorists" with paintball guns. They had to run the scenario several times because the lone "good guy with a gun" kept failing to take down both gunmen; in fact, they ran the scenario a total of nine times, and they were never able to take down both; in a couple of runs the armed victim couldn't take out even one. And this was a solidly pro-gun group that was highly motivated to prove the folly of gun control AND had the advantage of actually anticipating the ambush and reacting much more quickly that someone genuinely taken by surprise would have been able.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 11:44 PM   #183
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,326
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
James Corden's Message After the Texas School Shooting:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


He has young kids of his own and a perspective as a person from the UK.
We're a world leader, all right...in the number of school shootings. The NRA, the Ted Cruzes, the Mitch McConnells, the MTGs, the Lauren Boeberts, the Mike Lees of this country must be so proud.

MTG: 'We don't need more gun control. We need to return to God.'

Jackson Lahmeyer (GA-R Senate candidate) " It's time to arm the teachers and bring back prayer in our public schools."

Ted Cruz: "We know from past experience that the most effective tool for keeping kids safe is armed law enforcement on the campus."
"Inevitably, when there's a murder of this kind, you see politicians try to politicize it. You see Democrats and a lot of folks in the media whose immediate solution is to try to restrict the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens.That doesn't work."

Just shut the hell up.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2022, 11:53 PM   #184
erlando
Master Poster
 
erlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,295
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
MTG: 'We don't need more gun control. We need to return to God.'
Oh **** you, you feckless ****.
__________________
"If it can grow, it can evolve" - Eugenie Scott, Ph.D Creationism disproved?
Evolution IS a blind watchmaker
erlando is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:01 AM   #185
Lothian
should be banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Earth, specifically the crusty bit on the outside
Posts: 17,525
This is the price you pay for liberal gun laws. Stop pretending it is shocking or unusual. 27 school shoot ups so far this year. There will be more.

Given your reluctance to give up guns, the question is not how to stop.attacks, you won't. At best you will just move them.

The question is do you bother compensating parents for sacrificing their child as the consequence of allowing people to freely collect guns, light up a range or go shooting in the hills? A "dead child" levy on gun ownership or purchase may help gun owners understand what their 'rights' enable, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Lothian; 25th May 2022 at 12:03 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:18 AM   #186
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,106
The true reason why Republicans will always oppose any gun laws is not the NRA (which is bankrupt in more than one way), or that they don't see the reason for it.
It's that they know exactly what would happen if they tried to become more sensible in terms to regulating access to guns: their supporters would shoot them.
Republicans fear the MAGA and Gun nutters, for good reason, and know that they and their family would not be save if they did anything that looks like gun regulation.
__________________
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:20 AM   #187
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 26,163
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Stop posting their ******* names and faces! They should undergo Damnatio memoriae.
Well said.

We know that sufficient numbers of spree killers want to "live in infamy"
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:27 AM   #188
Lurch
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,176
To those who might take offense over my missives and rants about American insanity leading to a hate-on... The numbing repetitiveness of vile events like this, the political and societal climate that fosters them, the squalid valuation of money and power over the lives of even children, and the obscene indifference in certain quarters sure does make it hard to like y'all as a group.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:29 AM   #189
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6,247
On a theoretical Biden EO,

Congress, as currently assembled, likely couldn't block it. That leaves judicial review. Judicial review takes time. Presidents have ignored stays before this and will do so again. What's going to happen? Will Biden be arrested? We already know that doesn't happen.

ETA: I would bet my life that most of those in and around the apparatus of power would ultimately concede (though loudly) many issues we're currently paralyzed on to maintain the sacrosanctity of the Presidency. And it would be a brilliant stroke of using the corrupt, patronage seeking nature of the system against itself.

This precise issue is about guns and innocent children, yes. But it takes place in the context of a power struggle. When your opponent is operating along the doctrine of "we intend to accumulate power to ourselves and deny it to others" and are making great strides at repeatedly demonstrating that even with technical statutory authority, you are ineffective and weak, then it is time to stop "playing by the rules." The way to dissuade an opponent from engaging in a naked power struggle is to meet them on those terms. Make their attempts to do so have real consequences. Watching them accumulate it all while showing everyone which section and clause prevents us from action suits them just fine.

The "flipping the chess board over" analogy is a popular one. I no longer find it accurate. Our opponents are blatantly cheating and smirking across the board at us while we continue to play "correctly." It isn't at all unexpected that some significant portion of the patrons watching (who, for the sake of this analogy actually have many of their needs, if not their very lives riding on the outcome, the players not so much) might grow resentful at the player they are depending on as the game drags on and there we are, just losing the game. Repeatedly pointing out how unfair it is doesnt impress anyone with skin in the game. In that context, flipping the board over and punching the ass in the face is not the egregious act it might otherwise be.

Emergency powers are rather broad.

We've been under state of emergency with respect to Iran for my entire 43 years on this Earth.

We're under something like 30 states of emergency right this minute. Somehow, despite the numerous suspensions of various swathes of codes and statutes, the foundations of our institutions haven't sunk into the abyss.

I think there's a rather plain case for "compelling government interest" at this point. Certainly we could have a robust debate about "least restrictive means." Maybe we'll have to give some guns back.

What "honor" is there in upholding institutional virtues that allow this carnage? Why are we still staring at the board trying to figure out where to move our queen if they get to take her out with any piece they choose from any square they choose because they say so?

I bristle at the "omg the militant/fringe/radical left" stuff that floats around, of course. I'm plenty aware of the kookery, though, after a long exhaustive march through 19th century enlightenment and the formations of modern (small "r") republican nation-state politics. But I'm no more impressed either by comfortable liberal moderates more beholden to esoteric principles and "orderliness" than real, immediate suffering. And I say that as someone with a neurotic preference for routines and task-orientation, if not downright undiagnosed ASD.

This country has long been hewn towards human and civil rights taking a back seat to property and status. Guns are property. Property values and investments might take a dive if "unrest" occurs. It is absolutely true that many, far too many, of us will put children on the altar of stability and peace (or at least peaceful enclaves "where I can afford to live, but thats because I've earned it").

It's the same argument King made about those who would espouse support for civil rights, but then be so very "concerned" that it was all done "properly" and not cause disruptions or inconvenience to them.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 25th May 2022 at 12:44 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:44 AM   #190
Lurch
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,176
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The true reason why Republicans will always oppose any gun laws is not the NRA (which is bankrupt in more than one way), or that they don't see the reason for it.
It's that they know exactly what would happen if they tried to become more sensible in terms to regulating access to guns: their supporters would shoot them.
Republicans fear the MAGA and Gun nutters, for good reason, and know that they and their family would not be save if they did anything that looks like gun regulation.
From the viewpoint of the gun nutters, their elected reps enacting restrictions would be seen as the very tyranny the 2A was conceived of to stamp out. Quite the self reinforcing feedback loop. Gotta have more guns to make sure the gubmint can't take away our guns. Appeasing the nutters only results in becoming a hostage to their nuttery.

We have occurring here something like thermal runaway, whereby current and the resulting heat causes a decrease in resistance, leading to higher current and heat, further reduction of resistance, and so on until meltdown or a bang.

The approaching meltdown here is the increasing gun violence, after the infusion of more and more guns into society and the decreasing resistance relative to violence to do anything about it.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:49 AM   #191
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 27,106
Up here we sacrifice our children
To feed the worn-out dreams of yesterday
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 12:59 AM   #192
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 34,468
Sorry to report that the US is as powerless to do anything about the damage guns do as the UK is to tackle the damage alcohol does IMO.

In both cases the "problem" is deeply intertwined with culture and how each country looks at itself.

In both cases there are large, powerful, well funded industry lobby groups to oppose any measures to control the "problem"

In both cases "responsible" people are trotted out as the reason why a few irresponsible people shouldn't be allowed to ruin everyone else's fun

In both cases, due to inaction, thousands of people die and tens of thousands are injured unnecessarily
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 01:08 AM   #193
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,506
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
On a theoretical Biden EO,

Congress, as currently assembled, likely couldn't block it. That leaves judicial review. Judicial review takes time. Presidents have ignored stays before this and will do so again. What's going to happen? Will Biden be arrested? We already know that doesn't happen.

ETA: I would bet my life that most of those in and around the apparatus of power would ultimately concede (though loudly) many issues we're currently paralyzed on to maintain the sacrosanctity of the Presidency. And it would be a brilliant stroke of using the corrupt, patronage seeking nature of the system against itself.

This precise issue is about guns and innocent children, yes. But it takes place in the context of a power struggle. When your opponent is operating along the doctrine of "we intend to accumulate power to ourselves and deny it to others" and are making great strides at repeatedly demonstrating that even with technical statutory authority, you are ineffective and weak, then it is time to stop "playing by the rules." The way to dissuade an opponent from engaging in a naked power struggle is to meet them on those terms. Make their attempts to do so have real consequences. Watching them accumulate it all while showing everyone which section and clause prevents us from action suits them just fine.

The "flipping the chess board over" analogy is a popular one. I no longer find it accurate. Our opponents are blatantly cheating and smirking across the board at us while we continue to play "correctly." It isn't at all unexpected that some significant portion of the patrons watching (who, for the sake of this analogy actually have many of their needs, if not their very lives riding on the outcome, the players not so much) might grow resentful at the player they are depending on as the game drags on and there we are, just losing the game. Repeatedly pointing out how unfair it is doesnt impress anyone with skin in the game. In that context, flipping the board over and punching the ass in the face is not the egregious act it might otherwise be.

Emergency powers are rather broad.

We've been under state of emergency with respect to Iran for my entire 43 years on this Earth.

We're under something like 30 states of emergency right this minute. Somehow, despite the numerous suspensions of various swathes of codes and statutes, the foundations of our institutions haven't sunk into the abyss.

I think there's a rather plain case for "compelling government interest" at this point. Certainly we could have a robust debate about "least restrictive means." Maybe we'll have to give some guns back.

What "honor" is there in upholding institutional virtues that allow this carnage? Why are we still staring at the board trying to figure out where to move our queen if they get to take her out with any piece they choose from any square they choose because they say so?

I bristle at the "omg the militant/fringe/radical left" stuff that floats around, of course. I'm plenty aware of the kookery, though, after a long exhaustive march through 19th century enlightenment and the formations of modern (small "r") republican nation-state politics. But I'm no more impressed either by comfortable liberal moderates more beholden to esoteric principles and "orderliness" than real, immediate suffering. And I say that as someone with a neurotic preference for routines and task-orientation, if not downright undiagnosed ASD.

This country has long been hewn towards human and civil rights taking a back seat to property and status. Guns are property. Property values and investments might take a dive if "unrest" occurs. It is absolutely true that many, far too many, of us will put children on the altar of stability and peace (or at least peaceful enclaves "where I can afford to live, but thats because I've earned it").

It's the same argument King made about those who would espouse support for civil rights, but then be so very "concerned" that it was all done "properly" and not cause disruptions or inconvenience to them.
Near-immediate fail!

The gun lobby will immediately pull the stings of their puppets in the GOP who will apply for a stay of the EO to SCOTUS (any state Government can go direct to SCOTUS under the "Original jurisdiction" path) and SCOTUS (now a 6-3 right wing court) will stay the EO.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 01:39 AM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,326
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
To those who might take offense over my missives and rants about American insanity leading to a hate-on... The numbing repetitiveness of vile events like this, the political and societal climate that fosters them, the squalid valuation of money and power over the lives of even children, and the obscene indifference in certain quarters sure does make it hard to like y'all as a group.
Hell, I don't even like us much.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 01:54 AM   #195
wobs
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hull
Posts: 2,677
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sorry to report that the US is as powerless to do anything about the damage guns do as the UK is to tackle the damage alcohol does IMO.

In both cases the "problem" is deeply intertwined with culture and how each country looks at itself.

In both cases there are large, powerful, well funded industry lobby groups to oppose any measures to control the "problem"

In both cases "responsible" people are trotted out as the reason why a few irresponsible people shouldn't be allowed to ruin everyone else's fun

In both cases, due to inaction, thousands of people die and tens of thousands are injured unnecessarily
US and UK are pretty close on alcohol related deaths per head.
15.3 in US in 2018
11.9 in UK in 2018
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db383.htm
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...edkingdom/2018

Also, alcohol is not designed to kill, whereas an assault rifle is.

Anecdotally, there does seem to be less binge drinking than there used to be in the UK, as kids seem to spend more time online, and mor epubs move over to serving food. There does seem to be a gradual cultural change in the UK with alcohol.

Meanwhile, in a class in a Texas school, guns are still a problem.
__________________
"To vowels. They stop consonants sticking together like boiled sweets in a paper bag."

Last edited by wobs; 25th May 2022 at 01:59 AM.
wobs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 02:02 AM   #196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,326
Anyone who thinks Biden hasn't tried gun related XOs doesn't know what he's talking about. What he's done through the last year and what the results have been is discussed in the following article:

Quote:
Biden’s executive actions tackle a small part of America’s enormous gun problem
Biden announced six executive actions meant to curb gun violence in America.
Quote:
Biden’s actions are significant but address only a very small part of America’s enormous gun problem. Instead, they represent an effort by the White House to use the limited tools the president has, given the difficulties in passing new gun legislation through Congress, to make some progress toward reform.
Quote:
There are currently bills that would close this loophole that have passed the House of Representatives and are waiting for a vote in the Senate. There seems little chance of them passing, given Democrats — who broadly support gun reform — don’t have the numbers necessary to do so.
Quote:
As the country, largely united in its support for gun legislation, waits for a stagnant Congress to pass meaningful reforms, Biden has now acted unilaterally — his reforms aren’t broad, but they are what is within his power to do.
Quote:
Here’s what Biden implemented Thursday (as of April 2021):

Stopping the sale of “ghost guns:”
New regulations on pistol-stabilizing braces
New regulations on pistol-stabilizing braces
Federal studies on gun trafficking: For the first time in 20 years, the ATF and the Justice Department will be charged with issuing annual reports on gun trafficking.
Investments in community violence intervention programs

Biden also announced the nomination of David Chipman to lead the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Chipman, a gun control advocate, was unanimously opposed by all GOP senators so Biden was forced to withdraw his nomination.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 25th May 2022 at 02:05 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 02:30 AM   #197
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 34,468
Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Anecdotally, there does seem to be less binge drinking than there used to be in the UK, as kids seem to spend more time online, and mor epubs move over to serving food. There does seem to be a gradual cultural change in the UK with alcohol.


Yes, you're quite right, young people these days seem to drink a lot less than in my day.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 02:38 AM   #198
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,893
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No Lie Brian Tyler Cohen
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE



"What are we doing?"
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
How will you persuade people with words when dead children don't make a difference?

I've said it before, in the USA, people are happy with the regular sacrifice of children to keep their guns
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 02:58 AM   #199
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 34,468
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
How will you persuade people with words when dead children don't make a difference?

I've said it before, in the USA, people are happy with the regular sacrifice of children to keep their guns
Remember, it's the 75% of the US population who support gun control who are the real villains and the real threat to public safety.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2022, 03:02 AM   #200
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 9,315
"A parable:

A village has been built in the deepest gully of a floodplain.

At regular intervals, flash floods wipe away houses, killing all inside. Less dramatic—but more lethal—is the steady toll as individual villagers slip and drown in the marshes around them.

After especially deadly events, the villagers solemnly discuss what they might do to protect themselves. Perhaps they might raise their homes on stilts? But a powerful faction among the villagers is always at hand to explain why these ideas won’t work. “No law can keep our village safe! The answer is that our people must learn to be better swimmers - and oh by the way, you said ‘stilts’ when the proper term is ‘piles,’ so why should anybody listen to you?”

So the argument rages, without result, year after year, decade after decade, fatalities mounting all the while. Nearby villages, built in the hills, marvel that the gully-dwellers persist in their seemingly reckless way of life. But the gully-dwellers counter that they are following the wishes of their Founders, whose decisions two centuries ago must always be upheld by their descendants."

David Frum, 2017
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.