IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:46 AM   #1
eerok
Quixoticist

Bye Bye Texas

Texas GOP Resolution Apparently Opposes Judicial Review in the U.S., Rejects Legitimacy of 2020 Election and Flirts with Secession (lawandcrime.com)
Quote:
The Republican Party of Texas voted for a resolution that would appear to rock the foundations of judicial review in the United States. Along the way, the Texas GOP rejects the legitimacy of Joe Biden’s presidency, describes homosexuality as an “abnormal lifestyle choice,” and urges the legislature to push a referendum on whether the Lone Star State should secede from the union.
I know this is unlikely to go anywhere, but it's sobering to see such eager foolishness.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:59 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

let's stop all Federal Funds going to Texas and clear out all military bases - that should make him happy.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Cat Not Included
Thinker

Dear Texas: Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 11:32 AM   #4
Armitage72
Philosopher

I'm confused. They want to secede, but one of the early pages of the document also calls for repealing the 16th Amendment (Federal income tax), and the 17th Amendment (direct election of Senators), changing the 14th Amendment to require one parent to be a citizen for a child to be a citizen, and adding an Amendment to make English the official language of the US. If they want to leave, then why should they expect to be able to change things?

"I'm moving out of this house tomorrow. Repaint the walls to a color I like."

Last edited by Armitage72; 20th June 2022 at 11:33 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:03 PM   #5
stanfr
Master Poster

please, please, secede! And then we can build a useful wall around you
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:06 PM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Questions:

1. If they secede, what do they use for currency? Do they get to continue to use the US Dollar? Create a Texas Dollar? Abolish paper money and accept only gold and silver? Bitcoin?

2. Will they be required to take with them their sizable share of U.S. debt? Or do they get to walk away free and clear of all national debt? And what will Texas do to replace the Federal tax imbalance that for decades has favored them?

3. How will international commerce work? There will have to be customs checkpoints on the new U.S.-Texas border. Will they complain long and loud when the U.S. slaps tariffs on their goods? They will need trade agreements with every country they deal with economically.

4. How will international diplomacy work? What kind of relations does Texas expect to have with Mexico?

5. How will Texas handle military matters? We have to expect that the U.S. would pull all of its military bases and weapons out of Texas. We're certainly not going to leave any nukes behind! And if a future Mexican government decides that they'd like to have Texas back in their fold, I don't see any good reason for the U.S. to help Texas out.

6. What happens to the millions of people that decide they want to live in the U.S., not Texas? Will they get assistance to leave? Will Texas refuse exit to them?

7. And what about the companies who decide they don't want to be in Texas and take millions of jobs with them?

Prediction: Texas will turn into a ********. It will also be a disaster for a lot of innocent people.

**** Texas!
Old 20th June 2022, 12:07 PM   #7
shemp

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
please, please, secede! And then we can build a useful wall around you
Maybe Mexico will build a wall too. Don't want all those Texian refugees fleeing south to a better life!
Old 20th June 2022, 12:10 PM   #8
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

The U.S. should sell Texas to Mexico.
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:28 PM   #9
shemp

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
More like we should pay Mexico to take it.
Old 20th June 2022, 12:36 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It would be so great if they seceded and no one stopped them.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 12:41 PM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Caveat out of the way. Texas seceding is roughly as likely to actually happen as me waking up tomorrow to learn my entire life has been a dream while I'm in cryo-sleep and I'm really a ruggedly handsome Buck Rogers style space explorer who just made first contact with a planet populated entirely by clones of Eva Green and Amanda Seyfried and that their entire religion is based upon being taught "This thing the humans call love" by the first human male they encounter. So... unlikely to say the least.

But hitting the "I believe" button really hard to going forward as if that does happen..

1. The remaining Republican Controlled states would pitch a hissy fit at losing the EC votes and somehow re-rig the system or redistribute them so they'd still have an advantage.
2. Texas isn't all that Red, it's just gerrymandered to hell and back. We'd a lose a lot of good citizens who couldn't bring themselves to abandon their friends and family and where they are from in the process.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 20th June 2022 at 12:45 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:05 PM   #12
shemp

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Caveat out of the way. Texas seceding is roughly as likely to actually happen as me waking up tomorrow to learn my entire life has been a dream while I'm in cryo-sleep and I'm really a ruggedly handsome Buck Rogers style space explorer who just made first contact with a planet populated entirely by clones of Eva Green and Amanda Seyfried and that their entire religion is based upon being taught "This thing the humans call love" by the first human male they encounter. So... unlikely to say the least.

But hitting the "I believe" button really hard to going forward as if that does happen..

1. The remaining Republican Controlled states would pitch a hissy fit at losing the EC votes and somehow re-rig the system or redistribute them so they'd still have an advantage.
2. Texas isn't all that Red, it's just gerrymandered to hell and back. We'd a lose a lot of good citizens who couldn't bring themselves to abandon their friends and family and where they are from in the process.
Several other states would join Texas. Whether they band together as a nation, or each try to run their own country, it's a certainty that it would turn into an economic ******** loaded with human suffering.
Old 20th June 2022, 02:08 PM   #13
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Several other states would join Texas. Whether they band together as a nation, or each try to run their own country, it's a certainty that it would turn into an economic ******** loaded with human suffering.
So…like…a Confederacy?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:09 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I dimly recall some states tried to secede before, and it didn't quite work out as they hoped. There was a bit of a fuss, and possibly even some property damage.
Old 20th June 2022, 02:15 PM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose I have to note that it's ironic that Texas should pass two very limiting laws on the same date (plus one) that the last slaves there were notified that they were free. That's what Juneteenth is all about -- I don't even think I knew that until this weekend. Now it's a national holiday.
Old 20th June 2022, 02:42 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
Why the hell would Mexico want it?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:42 PM   #17
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I think the name Gilead is still available for this new nation.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:44 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Texas is an insane asylum with the inmates in charge.
The one thing I agree with this crazy platfrom on is guns; We might need guns to defends our selves against these heavily armed right wing crazies.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 02:44 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It also wants to repeal the 1965 voters right act;

Robert Heinlein.
Old 20th June 2022, 02:54 PM   #20
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Texas GOP Resolution Apparently Opposes Judicial Review in the U.S., Rejects Legitimacy of 2020 Election and Flirts with Secession (lawandcrime.com)

I know this is unlikely to go anywhere, but it's sobering to see such eager foolishness.

Well, I wonder what percentage of Texans support these notions? That is what is important.
Old 20th June 2022, 03:00 PM   #21
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm confused. They want to secede, but one of the early pages of the document also calls for repealing the 16th Amendment (Federal income tax), and the 17th Amendment (direct election of Senators), changing the 14th Amendment to require one parent to be a citizen for a child to be a citizen, and adding an Amendment to make English the official language of the US. If they want to leave, then why should they expect to be able to change things?

Well, the UK govt still want a say in how the EU works even though we left.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:15 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Boy these guys are on a roll:

Yes, the 2022 Texas GOP Platform Is Extreme. But Little of It Is New.
Quote:
... declared the 2020 presidential election results illegitimate, endorsed a referendum that would allow Texas voters to declare their secession from the United States, and called for the state’s schoolchildren to be drilled on “the humanity of the preborn child.” The platform also declared homosexuality “an abnormal lifestyle choice,” and called for Texas to strengthen the electric grid, not with regulations that keep the lights on in other states hit by extreme weather that our own leaders are averse to, but rather to defend against mythical “electromagnetic pulse weapons.”

The extremeness did not stop at the platform. The Log Cabin Republicans, a group that backs LGBTQ rights, had been banned from placing a booth in the convention hall. U.S. senator John Cornyn, the longest-serving statewide elected official in Texas, was booed and shouted down during his speech, while attendees denounced his role leading Senate negotiations and helping craft an agreement for modest measures that might help prevent school shootings. Governor Greg Abbott, the state party’s highest elected official, seemed so afraid of getting the Cornyn treatment that he declined to address the convention at all—instead appearing only at an opening reception where he sought to soften those annoyed by his presence by picking up the tab for beer and snacks.

2022 Texas GOP platform, resolutions address several hot-button political topics
Quote:
"Homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin, and we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. No one should be granted special legal status based on their LGBTQ+ identification," the GOP said.

The GOP announced more items about gender identification in sports. One says biological males must compete against biological males and biological women against women in athletics. Another says no medical practitioner can interfere with puberty, use sex hormones or surgery on anyone under the age of 21 for sex change purposes.

The platform calls for the complete abolition of abortion and prohibiting "the teaching of sex education, sexual health, or sexual choice or identity in any public school in any grade whatsoever."

The platform also calls for Obergefell v. Hodges, the 2015 Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage nationwide, to be overturned.

The platform notes that "Texas retains the right to secede from the United States." One resolution called for a referendum "in the 2023 general election for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation," the platform reads. Another called for the United States to withdraw from the United Nations....

"We believe that the 2020 election violated Article 1 and 2 of the US Constitution, that various secretaries of state illegally circumvented their state legislatures in conducting their elections in multiple ways, including by allowing ballots to be received after November 3, 2020," the GOP said. "We believe that substantial election fraud in key metropolitan areas significantly affected the results in five key states in favor of Joseph Robinette Biden Jr."

Convention attendees also codified their opposition to the bipartisan gun bill that's being negotiated and rebuked the state's own Republican Senator John Cornyn for his work on the bill. When Cornyn addressed the convention, he was met with loud boos.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:26 PM   #23
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
As you say, this isn't all new. I had a Texas/Florida filter on hiring for my company since the early 2000s. Probably missed out on a lot of good candidates, but that was a risk I took.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 04:59 PM   #24
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

The platform notes that "Texas retains the right to secede from the United States."

Are they sure about that one?
Old 20th June 2022, 05:07 PM   #25
Apathia
Philosopher

It can't survive on its own.
It'll need to rope in some other states as a new confederacy.

What we see here is the GOP platform made manifestly clear.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 20th June 2022 at 05:39 PM.
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 05:07 PM   #26
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
let's stop all Federal Funds going to Texas and clear out all military bases - that should make him happy.
Collective punishment? Or just an urge to punish progressive voters in Austin and elsewhere for not purging the conservative Texans to your satisfaction?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 05:11 PM   #27
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
So…like…a Confederacy?
… of dunces.
Old 20th June 2022, 05:26 PM   #28
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

I can assuage your confusion.

If you imagine Texas legislators to be unmannered children who believe they are immune to punishment or any ill consequences, who believe they are the most special children ever, and who believe that gray can never be used to describe any part of any political or social issue, then it would be confusing if they didn’t include those wacky demands.

…….
Of course, it has to be the 2023 election and not the 2022 election because it is not really going to happen and they expect MAGA-maniacs to have short attention spans.
Old 20th June 2022, 05:58 PM   #29
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I suppose I have to note that it's ironic that Texas should pass two very limiting laws on the same date (plus one) that the last slaves there were notified that they were free. That's what Juneteenth is all about -- I don't even think I knew that until this weekend. Now it's a national holiday.
It is very hard to think that this is some kind of coincidence. I am sure there will be apologists who will point out that it is not necessarily related to the enormously important, widely publicized, unanimously declared holiday of Juneteenth, since it could as easily be a consequence of a monumental pileup of clueless blind stupidity, and that, of course, makes it just another normal day.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:00 PM   #30
arayder
Master Poster

My take on this is that Texas politics requires that legislators and politicians talk all rebellious and propose things they know aren't going anywhere.

A few years ago a Texas politician responded to open carry knife laws by proposing that Texans be allowed to carry swords. It seems there was a debate about how long the knife blades could be and still be legal for carry. So this guy decided to go all Texas and go for legalize sword carry.

It didn't pass.

They have a major wild hog problem in Texas so a few dope legislators decided to propose legislation allowing laying out massive amounts of poison to kill the hogs.

Never mind that Fido and Bambi might eat it too! These ole boys came down on the anti-hog side and that's all that counts.

It didn't pass.

Every few years these boys go off and talk secession.

-------------
Dope Clock II: It's been 371 days since Bobby Menard announced plans to create "Artists Valley". So far all he has done is lie through his teeth[/quote]
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 06:08 PM   #31
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

If the interstate commerce clause is no longer in effect and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is no longer in effect, then wouldn’t racial discrimination in public accommodations become legal?

Texas Republicans. They’re going to party like it’s 1899.
Old 20th June 2022, 07:06 PM   #32
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh. Another reason I will never, ever move to Texas. But the GOP hasn't gone off the rails. Right....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 07:38 PM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Collective punishment? Or just an urge to punish progressive voters in Austin and elsewhere for not purging the conservative Texans to your satisfaction?
I don't understand your post.

The people suggesting Texas should secede are clearly making a show to their voters and lying about what it would actually entail.
If anyone is collectively punishing Texans, it's the Texan government.

- Emo Philips
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 08:00 PM   #34
Doubt
Philosopher

Well, if they want to talk about seceding, then the federal govrenment should talk about reconstruction.
Old 20th June 2022, 08:34 PM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Questions:

1. If they secede, what do they use for currency? Do they get to continue to use the US Dollar? Create a Texas Dollar? Abolish paper money and accept only gold and silver? Bitcoin?

2. Will they be required to take with them their sizable share of U.S. debt? Or do they get to walk away free and clear of all national debt? And what will Texas do to replace the Federal tax imbalance that for decades has favored them?

3. How will international commerce work? There will have to be customs checkpoints on the new U.S.-Texas border. Will they complain long and loud when the U.S. slaps tariffs on their goods? They will need trade agreements with every country they deal with economically.

4. How will international diplomacy work? What kind of relations does Texas expect to have with Mexico?

5. How will Texas handle military matters? We have to expect that the U.S. would pull all of its military bases and weapons out of Texas. We're certainly not going to leave any nukes behind! And if a future Mexican government decides that they'd like to have Texas back in their fold, I don't see any good reason for the U.S. to help Texas out.

6. What happens to the millions of people that decide they want to live in the U.S., not Texas? Will they get assistance to leave? Will Texas refuse exit to them?

7. And what about the companies who decide they don't want to be in Texas and take millions of jobs with them?

Prediction: Texas will turn into a ********. It will also be a disaster for a lot of innocent people.

**** Texas!
That's not a prediction!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 08:52 PM   #36
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

Beyond bizarre!!! They even want to create a state electoral college to elect statewide officeholders (e.g., governor)!

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 08:59 PM   #37
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Texas already seceded from the electric grid, which worked out perfectly, right?

- Emo Philips
Old 20th June 2022, 09:39 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Beyond bizarre!!! They even want to create a state electoral college to elect statewide officeholders (e.g., governor)!
Maybe the The Fat Orange Turd could move to Austin and run for the Presidency of the People's Democratic Republic of Texas.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 10:52 PM   #39
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of stupidity, but they also call for moving cannabis from schedule 1 to schedule 2. Blind squirrels and all.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2022, 10:57 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The United State of Texas.

Has a certain...clunk to it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics