IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th June 2022, 11:28 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Wouldn't it be more like the United Counties of TX?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:02 AM   #42
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
It can't survive on its own.
It'll need to rope in some other states as a new confederacy.

What we see here is the GOP platform made manifestly clear.
The problem is, at THIS point, Texas MIGHT be able to survive on its own (at least for a few years), thanks to its oil-based economy.

However, eventually either 1) the oil will run out, or 2) the world will switch to alternative fuel sources. At that point, Texas will have very little of value left in its economy (apart from perhaps its agricultural sector), since the U.S. government would have withdrawn its infrastructure (e.g. military, NASA), and many large companies will have departed Texas due to its instability.

(I would also like to think many businesses would leave Texas because it will likely end up an authoritarian hell-hole with a poor human rights record, but as we have seen with other jurisdictions, businesses don't seem to have strong ethical standards when profits are involved.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:16 AM   #43
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Maybe the The Fat Orange Turd could move to Austin and run for the Presidency of the People's Democratic Republic of Texas.
There's no ******* chance that they'd use any version of the D word.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:19 AM   #44
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Only until the South counties started fighting the North, or Union, counties and then threatened to secede from the state with violence.

Also...big-endians.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 21st June 2022 at 12:21 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:07 AM   #45
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The problem is, at THIS point, Texas MIGHT be able to survive on its own (at least for a few years), thanks to its oil-based economy.

However, eventually either 1) the oil will run out, or 2) the world will switch to alternative fuel sources. At that point, Texas will have very little of value left in its economy (apart from perhaps its agricultural sector), since the U.S. government would have withdrawn its infrastructure (e.g. military, NASA), and many large companies will have departed Texas due to its instability.

(I would also like to think many businesses would leave Texas because it will likely end up an authoritarian hell-hole with a poor human rights record, but as we have seen with other jurisdictions, businesses don't seem to have strong ethical standards when profits are involved.)
Hell hole, indeed.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:10 AM   #46
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The United State of Texas.

Has a certain...clunk to it.
Especially in a High Potential Hurricane season, If I were Biden I would tell Texas they can't have any Federal Aid for huricanes, because they don't want him as their President. When their up to their noses in flood waters let's see what they say then..
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:38 AM   #47
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

In a news article yesterday, the Texas Tribune newspaper explained why Texas can't secede from the United States. And it's been suggested previously.
Quote:
The idea is most often raised by conservatives in the state who are angry over some kind of policy coming from the federal government — and the calls seem to become more frequent when a Democrat is occupying the White House. State Rep. Kyle Biedermann, R-Fredericksburg, filed a bill in 2021 to create a referendum election on whether Texans should create a joint legislative committee “to develop a plan for achieving Texas independence.” Even if the Legislature were to act on the new Republican Party proposal to put an independence referendum on the general election, it would not be legally valid. “The legality of seceding is problematic,” Eric McDaniel, associate professor of government at the University of Texas at Austin, told The Texas Tribune in 2016. “The Civil War played a very big role in establishing the power of the federal government and cementing that the federal government has the final say in these issues.”

If there were any doubt remaining after this matter, the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia set it to rest when he was asked by a screenwriter in 2006 whether there was a legal basis for secession. In his response, he wrote: “The answer is clear,” Scalia wrote. “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. (Hence, in the Pledge of Allegiance, ‘one Nation, indivisible.’)” Texas Tribune link
Additionally, Texas receives $1.20 in federal funds for every $1.00 paid in federal tax. That would be a huge shortfall to make up. But even on the national stage -- as we see every day in this forum -- right-wingers do not and will not discuss issues on a rational basis. It's all snipe and snark. I'm sure the answer most Texas wingers would give, as to receiving more federal money than they pay in, would be:

Quote:
  • I don't believe it!
  • It don't matter!
All I can say to Texas secessionists is, good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Federal dependency.jpg (16.7 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:50 AM   #48
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I don't understand your post.

The people suggesting Texas should secede are clearly making a show to their voters and lying about what it would actually entail.
If anyone is collectively punishing Texans, it's the Texan government.
You suggested punishing all Texans, because of a non-binding, non-actionable proposal by some Texans. Why was collective punishment your preferred response to this proposal?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 06:52 AM   #49
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You suggested punishing all Texans, because of a non-binding, non-actionable proposal by some Texans. Why was collective punishment your preferred response to this proposal?
It is not a punishment it is encouraging them to be self sufficient. It is getting into the frontier spirit.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:14 AM   #50
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Umm, "some Texans"?

Keep in mind that this was not just some random collection of Texas yahoos. This is a resolution coming from the republican party, the group that is affiliated with republicans such as Greg Abbot., and the party that has held the governorship for over 2 decades. Yeah, it might not be fair to "punish" all Texans, but if the state didn't want to be a pariah, perhaps they should actually make an effort not to associate with such fools.

As for the 'non-binding' part, why does it matter? Its a dumb idea to attach your reputation to foolish ideas even if you aren't required to act on it.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:28 AM   #51
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
In a news article yesterday, the Texas Tribune newspaper explained why Texas can't secede from the United States. And it's been suggested previously.

Additionally, Texas receives $1.20 in federal funds for every $1.00 paid in federal tax. That would be a huge shortfall to make up. But even on the national stage -- as we see every day in this forum -- right-wingers do not and will not discuss issues on a rational basis. It's all snipe and snark. I'm sure the answer most Texas wingers would give, as to receiving more federal money than they pay in, would be:

In the Age of Trump, more than a few would say, “Ha. Washington is filled with suckers.”
Old 21st June 2022, 07:33 AM   #52
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
The GOP operates under the policy of "We'll do whatever we damn well please, try and stop us!" Little things like the Constitution and legal precedent mean nothing to them.
Old 21st June 2022, 07:35 AM   #53
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Well, the UK govt still want a say in how the EU works even though we left.
The US wants to have a say in how Afghanistan works even though it left. (Ditto US input to Iran, Cuba, Nicaragua, Panama, etc.) It seems pretty common for countries to have a view about other countries internal affairs. The EU certainly has views on internal UK issues!
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:44 AM   #54
Planigale
Philosopher

All I can say to Texas secessionists is, good luck!
However as a member of the UN the US has signed upto the rights of all peoples to self determination. The US has certainly supported this right previously, elsewhere. International law would certainly recognise the rights of Texans to self determination if this was the outcome of a democratic mandate. Pretty sure that failing to recognise this right would just prove to the rest of the world the US had given up any right to being viewed as a democratic state.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:45 AM   #55
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

i absolutely did no such thing. check your bias.

What I pointed out is what the result would be if the Union allowed Texas to do exactly what they are asking for.

Or are you trying to argue that the US has to keep supporting Texas financially, and maintain and fund a troop presence in an Independent State?

seriously, instead of bashing me, why don't you go after the the Texans who support such a self-defeating plan?

- Emo Philips

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 21st June 2022 at 07:46 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 07:52 AM   #56
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

seriously, instead of bashing me, why don't you go after the the Texans who support such a self-defeating plan?
Because then he wouldn't be a pro-Right hiding behind being a contrarian and he would cease to exist.
Old 21st June 2022, 08:49 AM   #57
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

This is about as serious as eighth-graders voting to have pizza for lunch every day.

It's role-playing for fascists and the morons who vote for them.
Old 21st June 2022, 08:55 AM   #58
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Ironically the same Texans talking about seceding from the United States, also advocate for the US leaving the United Nations. As for self-determination, what if the 'secession vote' is rejected by a majority of voters in some Texas counties? Should those people be forced to leave the United States? Could the UN step in and arbitrate it?

By the way, some people, including elected officials, in Staten Island -- one of the five boroughs or counties that make up New York City -- have long advocated for seceding from the city. Maybe they should appeal to the United Nations?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 11:41 AM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
However as a member of the UN the US has signed upto the rights of all peoples to self determination. The US has certainly supported this right previously, elsewhere. International law would certainly recognise the rights of Texans to self determination if this was the outcome of a democratic mandate. Pretty sure that failing to recognise this right would just prove to the rest of the world the US had given up any right to being viewed as a democratic state.
But what constitutes a "People entitled to self determination?". Where do you draw the line?

Sounds to me like if you want the US to split up...something which gives Left Wing Euros wet dreams.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 21st June 2022 at 11:57 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:00 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
This is about as serious as eighth-graders voting to have pizza for lunch every day.

It's role-playing for fascists and the morons who vote for them.
Problem this is the convention for one the two major US Parties in one of the largest states in the Union, not a bunch of kooks in some small political party on one has ever heard of.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:02 PM   #61
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I thhought the gentleman in my avatar sort of settled the issue of secession at Appotamatoc in Virginia in 1865.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st June 2022, 12:12 PM   #62
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Confederate State of Texas?
Old 21st June 2022, 12:25 PM   #63
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
Funny stuff.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 12:39 PM   #64
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The J6C is doing an excellent job of showing how Trump, Giuliani, and others in the Trump campaign lied to, pressured, and even threatened election officials in an effort to get them not certify the election.

If criminal charges against several people do not come out of this, then justice is not going to be served. It will only go to prove that the powerful can get away with anything in this country.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 01:04 PM   #65
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I thhought the gentleman in my avatar sort of settled the issue of secession at Appotamatoc in Virginia in 1865.
I don't know Texas is 1 and 1 for seceding to preserve or legalize slavery, so they would seem to have a 50/50 shot at it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 01:44 PM   #66
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Funny stuff.
And shows a total lack of a grasp of reality.
He has failed to show where you draw the line;what is to keep the residents of Podunk Plains in the US..Or The UK..voting to suceed from the nation and declaring itself a indepenent country.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st June 2022, 01:46 PM   #67
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The J6C is doing an excellent job of showing how Trump, Giuliani, and others in the Trump campaign lied to, pressured, and even threatened election officials in an effort to get them not certify the election.

If criminal charges against several people do not come out of this, then justice is not going to be served. It will only go to prove that the powerful can get away with anything in this country.
It's Trump I want to see brough to justice. If Garland won't do it, time for Biden to fire him and bring in somebody who will.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 21st June 2022, 05:01 PM   #68
sackett
Philosopher

If the rightie tighties ever try anything serious, it won't be by passing resolutions, let alone laws. It's the great brag of fascists that they don't legislate, they act.

Hey, October of this year will be the centenary of the March on Rome! Now that has a ring!

The March on Austin? Um, well, okay. Stephen Austin himself, if was still kicking, would greet it with a Napoleonic whiff of grape, but times is changed. Goddamn shame, too.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 10:27 PM   #69
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
… of dunces.
A Dunfederacy? ...or a Dumbfederacy?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2022, 11:01 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's Trump I want to see brough to justice. If Garland won't do it, time for Biden to fire him and bring in somebody who will.
I agree.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:49 AM   #71
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
So…like…a Confederacy?
New and Improved Confederacy!

Now with 15% more JESUS!
Old 22nd June 2022, 09:56 AM   #72
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Maybe the The Fat Orange Turd could move to Austin and run for the Presidency of the People's Democratic TRUMP Republic of Texas.
A little more likely to succeed, I’d wager.
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:00 AM   #73
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Texas already seceded from the electric grid, which worked out perfectly, right?
Of course it did. If there's as problem, just go to Cancun!
Old 22nd June 2022, 10:04 AM   #74
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Of course it did. If there's as problem, just go to Cancun!
Then blame your kids!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:41 PM   #75
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Texas seccedes, will it lay claim to New Mexico again and invade it?

BTW, The Good, THe Bad, and The Ugly is loosley based on Sibley's invasion of New Mexico.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 22nd June 2022 at 12:43 PM.
Old 22nd June 2022, 12:51 PM   #76
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Heard this on a tik tok video. Let Texas leave. Make D.C. a state. No change to flag, and no change to congress. Then invade Texas. Make them a territory. Impose taffies on exported oil. Now Texas has no voice in congress (only some non-voting members), no voting in National elections, no EC votes. (The video was mostly in jest.)
LongFuzzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 01:36 PM   #77
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell".

General Philip Sheridan.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:12 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell".

General Philip Sheridan.
Nah. Sheridan would have burned Austin,Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, San Antonio, and El Paso to the ground.
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:17 PM   #79
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The whole “secede” thing in Texas is really weird. I used to think it was harmless ribbing about how the rest of the country doesn’t really get Texas, a sort of overwrought state pride. But it has taken on darker meaning of late.

Joking with New Mexicans about who has better chili or Louisianans about the best fried catfish is one thing, but seeing if we can treat gays and women worse than Kansas does is a step too far.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2022, 05:42 PM   #80
sackett
Philosopher

The unwholesome daffiness of Texas is nothing new.

Nowadays, we should perhaps take it more seriously. I dear Jesus hope the FBI does.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics