IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 12th July 2022, 12:36 AM   #241
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,326
Abrams never claimed that she was the legitimate governor, or that the election would get overturned. And she certainly never called election officials and told them to fake the results in her favor.

Comparing Abrams with Trump is, at best, self-delusion, but usually a poor attempt at whatsaboutism.

Re: Delaware. What a load of BS: Biden was senator, not governor, so he has no power over the election there.
__________________
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

- Emo Philips

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 12th July 2022 at 12:38 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:58 AM   #242
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,445
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you had heard all of the evidence.

Even if Trump tried to subvert the votes in Georgia, how does that prove that he incited the riot on January 6th?

Do you know who Stacy Abrams is? What do you think of her actions? (I doubt you will respond?)

The democrats whined and cried voter suppression and then record votes were cast in 2020. I never claimed that fraud changed the outcome of the 2020 election. Joe Biden said Geogia was Jim Crowe 2.0 but his own state of Delaware has more voting restrictions than Georgia. And what did Joe Biden do about it? Nothing.
You doubt I will respond? Why?

Voter suppression was an issue in 2020. With Drumpf and his cult pushing the Big Lie, the minority, i.e. the GOP, is working harder to suppress even more votes. They can't win legitimately so voter suppression is all they have.

I hope their efforts are thwarted again.

Yes I know who Abrams is. What actions are you referring to and what's your point?

I'm not the one claiming there is no evidence Drumpf incited the riot. I have heard enough evidence to conclude he was directly involved. Do you think the next two hearings are going to refute that?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 01:50 AM   #243
Susheel
Master Poster
 
Susheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,755
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You doubt I will respond? Why?
What he means is
that he doubts you will respond in a way that validates his own fantasy.
__________________
I've got to get to a library...fast Robert Langdon
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 02:55 AM   #244
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,979
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot. The riot was wrong but it's being overblown compared to the riots that took place after George Floyd, including the summer of love in Seattle.
None is so blind as he who refuses to see. You wouldn't concede the riot was the direct result of Trump's Big Lie and his speech on the Ellipse if he had led the rioters up to and into the Capitol on a white horse waving a flag that said "Stop the Steal".

Quote:
The committee will never subpoena the secret service agents that were in the car with Trump because they want to take Hutchinson's word at face value.
Robert Engel has already testified before the J6C. He was not asked about the steering wheel incident because Hutchinson had not testified yet and the J6C did not know about it then. The J6C can still demand he return to be asked specifically about it. For all you know, it could be in the works already.

Quote:
The committee also heard testimony from at least a few people who were with Trump, including a DOD staffer named Kash Patel who testified that Trump authorized up to 20,000 troops from the national guard to prevent any problems. and this was before January 6th. The committee of course never aired this testimony.
This has been discredited before. It never happened. And not the 10K troops reported in the first version of this lie, either.

Quote:
There is no evidence that Trump made a request for 10,000 National Guard troops to be deployed for a rally he held that preceded the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Quote:
A Defense Department spokesman said the department "has no record of such an order being given" by Trump.
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...troops-jan-6-/


Quote:
Nor did the committee show the written letter from the DC mayor declining the troops offered by Trump.
Perhaps because no such letter exists as Trump never offered any troops?
Quote:
What the mayor did, was ask for the minimal number of National Guardsmen and women to help out the Metropolitan Police Department, and she warned that those troops should be unarmed and not directly involve themselves in any protests.
Quote:
Mayor Muriel Bowser sent a letter on New Year's Eve to Maj. Gen. William Walker, commanding general of the District of Columbia National Guard, requesting support on January 5 through 6. She said Guard personnel would support the MPD and the District Fire and Emergency Medical Services. "[N]o DCNG personnel shall be armed during this mission, and at no time, will DCNG personnel or assets be engaged in domestic surveillance, searches, or seizures of [U.S.] persons," she wrote.
https://www.newsweek.com/dc-mayor-mu...narmed-1661320
Quote:
Nor did the committee interview Pelosi or the DC Mayor who were declared off limits by the committee.
Evidence they were "declared off limits by the committee"?
Quote:
Liz "toast" Cheney also mentioned that there was intel of possible violence prior to January 6th but the committee never interviewed the security personnel and those in charge of them.
The bi-partisan Senate investigation already did that:

Quote:
You really need to get off the right-wing echo chamber sites that are feeding you this nonsense.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:25 AM   #245
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 9,078
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Yes I know who Abrams is. What actions are you referring to and what's your point?
To poke at this... Short version - the GOP is and has been pushing a false equivalence between Abrams and Trump (and trying to make Abrams look worse, of course, farcical as that may be).

For example, both have spoken of rigged systems. To cite an example from Abrams -

Quote:
Abrams said Kemp “won under the rules of the game at the time, but the game was rigged against the voters of Georgia.”
Frankly, given the state of things, that's objectively not unfair to say. Going further and poking at just one of so very, very many things that can be poked at, any time a person is directly in power over elections while they attempt to get elected, like Kemp was, that's a major conflict of interest. Given a lot of the shenanigans, there's real cause for concern there, whether or not they were sufficient to switch the victor. Trump, of course, is pretty clearly on the side of trying to make elections MORE rigged.


Both have refused to concede. The similarities go little further there, though, too. To borrow from Abrams' justification for that -

Quote:
“Concession means to acknowledge an action is right, true or proper. As a woman of conscience and faith, I cannot concede,” Abrams said to supporters in 2018. “But my assessment is that the law currently allows no further viable remedy.”
Again, it's a fair position under the circumstances. That the GOP will happily work to twist it to muddy the waters doesn't make it any less fair, in and of itself.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 12th July 2022 at 04:49 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 07:40 AM   #246
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 16,117
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot.
Mob bosses are never the ones holding the smoking gun. And yet they get convicted.

Quote:
The riot was wrong but it's being overblown compared to the riots that took place after George Floyd, including the summer of love in Seattle.
You're parroting drivel of a truly high order. Whataboutism on crack+steroids.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 07:46 AM   #247
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
"Wow lookit me say there's no evidence for the thing that's there's literally nothing but evidence for up to and including the person in question bragging about doing it. Sure would be a shame if the chip on my shoulder got knocked off about it..."
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th July 2022 at 07:52 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 08:22 AM   #248
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,261
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot. The riot was wrong but it's being overblown compared to the riots that took place after George Floyd, including the summer of love in Seattle.

The committee will never subpoena the secret service agents that were in the car with Trump because they want to take Hutchinson's word at face value.

The committee also heard testimony from at least a few people who were with Trump, including a DOD staffer named Kash Patel who testified that Trump authorized up to 20,000 troops from the national guard to prevent any problems. and this was before January 6th. The committee of course never aired this testimony.

Nor did the committee show the written letter from the DC mayor declining the troops offered by Trump. Nor did the committee interview Pelosi or the DC Mayor who were declared off limits by the committee.

Liz "toast" Cheney also mentioned that there was intel of possible violence prior to January 6th but the committee never interviewed the security personnel and those in charge of them.
This is what we used to call a "fringe reset".

Too bad the fringe is in charge nowadays.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 08:29 AM   #249
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
"Yes could we please start the discussion over completely and show where it was ever proven that Trump is anything less than an absolutely perfect angel? I promise intellectual honesty that I have never shown before if you indulge me this time."
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th July 2022 at 08:34 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 08:33 AM   #250
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 14,089
JoeCool once again tries to play the same tune that got him such praise in Trump worshiping Facebook groups and falls flat on his face.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 08:35 AM   #251
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
I expect a very firm "I'm no Trumper, how dare you call me a Trumper, just because I'm totally incapable of saying anything that isn't a factually wrong apologetic talking point in favor of him that someone else came up with and I'm parroting doesn't mean I'm a Trumper" talking down to now.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 08:50 AM   #252
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,813
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot.
Other than his own words, but OK.

Quote:
The riot was wrong but it's being overblown compared to the riots that took place after George Floyd, including the summer of love in Seattle.
"b-b-but...the b-b-black people!" Try a new song. That one is old

Also, coincidentally, many of those incidents were either escalated or even instigated by groups like the Proud Boys and their friends in government.

Quote:
The committee will never subpoena the secret service agents that were in the car with Trump because they want to take Hutchinson's word at face value.
1) Uh, they did. At least, Engel gave a video deposition.

2) the incident in the car doesn't mean much, only further demonstrates Trump's frame of mind that day.

3) you can't make Hutchingson's conversations with Meadows and other members of Trump's inner circle go away.

Quote:
The committee also heard testimony from at least a few people who were with Trump, including a DOD staffer named Kash Patel who testified that Trump authorized up to 20,000 troops from the national guard to prevent any problems. and this was before January 6th. The committee of course never aired this testimony.
If that testimony never aired, how do you know what Patel said? Because Patel goes on Newsmax and the other right-wing podiums and tells you. The funny thing is that there is no evidence to back his claim. In, fact, we have evidence that contradicts it. If he is not lying in those TV interviews, then he lied in his sworn deposition.

Let's be real: he's lying to you so you have talking points ready. His deposition was most likely a few hours of him screaming "FIFTH!" like Flynn.

Quote:
Nor did the committee show the written letter from the DC mayor declining the troops offered by Trump.
Kind of hard to publish a letter declining an offer that wasn't made. what we do have is the correspondence between the DoD and Mayor of DC where the Mayor said she only wants the Guard assisting with traffic and crowd control. They weren't to be armed or perform law enforcement activities. And that still doesn't explain why there was no repsonse when people were calling Trump to deploy the Guard when it became clear the Capitol was going to be attacked.

Quote:
Nor did the committee interview Pelosi or the DC Mayor who were declared off-limits by the committee.
Not holding my breath on proof of that

Quote:
Liz "toast" Cheney also mentioned that there was intel of possible violence prior to January 6th but the committee never interviewed the security personnel and those in charge of them.
Yes, they did. Also, as mentioned above, the relevant parties gave public testimony before the Senate.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 10:13 AM   #253
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 49,466
Who is that guy behind and to the left of the panel? He looks like Skippy from "Family Ties."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skippy.jpg (13.6 KB, 189 views)
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 10:51 AM   #254
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 49,466
That's hilarious. The guy who got tapped on the shoulder and claimed he almost died, calling the normal people in the room "pussies."
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 10:55 AM   #255
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Who is that guy behind and to the left of the panel? He looks like Skippy from "Family Ties."
That's exactly who it is and the picture dates back to at least 2007 if you do a Google Reverse Image Search

http://washedupcelebrities.blogspot....arc-price.html
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 11:02 AM   #256
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
//dupe//
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 11:04 AM   #257
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 49,466
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
//dupe//
The first step to recovery is admitting it.
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 11:35 AM   #258
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 5,133
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot.
I guess the smoke got in your eyes, then.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 11:37 AM   #259
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,979
Regarding Joecool's claim that there has been no "smoking gun":

First of all, there doesn't need to be the proverbial "smoking gun" to prove a case. There only needs to be evidence BARD and there is certainly that based on what the J6C has presented. Between Trump's own tweets/statements/videos, the testimony from many people (most of whom are Republicans), and the statements made on social media accounts, etc. there is more than smoke: there's a raging forest fire of guilt.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 11:43 AM   #260
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
"Dur I'm sorry I musta missed wehre it got shown dat Trump did bad tings" is not a claim, it's bait.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:18 PM   #261
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 9,939
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Dur I'm sorry I musta missed wehre it got shown dat Trump did bad tings" is not a claim, it's bait.
Wait, per the mods here we have absolutely no way of knowing if that's the case, and even if it is there's absolutely nothing we can do about it because baiting/trolling isn't against the rules.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:24 PM   #262
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55,959
"THere's gonna be a Red Wedding" was tweeted by some of the Organizers of the Jan 6th riots.
Yeah, just a bunch of peaceful citizens come to visit with their congressmen....
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:26 PM   #263
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,968
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
"THere's gonna be a Red Wedding" was tweeted by some of the Organizers of the Jan 6th riots.
Yeah, just a bunch of peaceful citizens come to visit with their congressmen....
Their rally cry was something about it being another 1776, I don't think anyone was under the impression they wanted a peaceful anything.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:33 PM   #264
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,523
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Wow lookit me say there's no evidence for the thing that's there's literally nothing but evidence for up to and including the person in question bragging about doing it. Sure would be a shame if the chip on my shoulder got knocked off about it..."
If someone bragging about doing something is evidence that the person actually did that thing, then allow me to present evidence that I have slept Jennifer Lopez.

JenniWig was a short but intense relationship that was built on raw sexual passion.


ETA:
Given the president’s lifelong history of making stuff up to make himself look better, why would anyone think DJT was being truthful?
And even if DJT were telling the truth, have we excluded the possibility that he wanted 20,000 National guardsmen there to make it easier to declare martial law?
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th July 2022 at 12:39 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:40 PM   #265
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,523
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Their rally cry was something about it being another 1776, I don't think anyone was under the impression they wanted a peaceful anything.
Yep!
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 12:46 PM   #266
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,694
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Given the president’s lifelong history of making stuff up to make himself look better, why would anyone think DJT was being truthful?
I get you're trying to be funny but I've heard "You can't trust Trump to admit what Trump has done" as a legit (well as legit as a troll army can be) argument from the Trumpers.

My point is there is no "in good faith" to go "I must have missed where it was shown Trump was involved" at this point.

But we must maintain the lie that all arguments are from honest agents.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 01:01 PM   #267
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,979
Mr. Ayres, who totally bought Trump's Big Lie, was in the Capitol on J6, but has since come to his senses and no longer supports Trump, had some good advice to people who deny what happened, including a few ISF members: take the blinders off.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 01:43 PM   #268
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
Moderator
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 26,728
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...qHs2ZN9IuiXMAg

Quote:
Wow -- Cheney says Trump tried to call a witness in the January 6 committee's investigation after the last hearing. The witness alerted their lawyer, who alerted the committee, and the committee passed that info along to the DOJ.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Public/Compulsory Expenditure on healthcare
https://data.oecd.org/chart/60Tt

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 01:59 PM   #269
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,968
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
To expand a bit, per CNBC:

Quote:
“After our last hearing. President Trump tried to call a witness in our investigation. A witness you have not yet seen in these hearings,” Rep. Liz Cheney, the vice chair of the committee, said on Tuesday.

“That person declined to answer or respond to President Trump’s call and instead alerted their lawyer to the call. Their lawyer alerted us. And this committee has supplied that information to the Department of Justice,” she added.
It doesn't look like he succeeded. The individual just didn't answer the call, and passed the info along. Good on them.

That has to piss Trump off to no end. People not even answering him, just send him to voicemail and ignoring him completely. I wish I could be there to see it.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 02:34 PM   #270
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,979
Can't wait to hear who it was!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 02:50 PM   #271
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 46,531
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Can't wait to hear who it was!
Don Jr.?
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:02 PM   #272
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55,959
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Don Jr.?
Fredo? That would be too funny.
Irony is that almost everybody in Trump's circle had nothing but comtempt for Donnie Jr. thinking he was a total idiot.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:14 PM   #273
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,245
Republican politicians who attended the December 21, 2020 meeting with Trump where he threw the WH Counsel out of the meeting.

Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Brian Babin of Texas
Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida
Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Andy Harris of Maryland
Rep. Jody Hice of Georgia
Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio
Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
Rep-elect Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia

These people essentially snuck into the White House to meet with Trump about overturning the election. There were a few names on there I had not heard before. The brainpower of that group is astounding.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:16 PM   #274
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 49,466
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
To expand a bit, per CNBC:



It doesn't look like he succeeded. The individual just didn't answer the call, and passed the info along. Good on them.

That has to piss Trump off to no end. People not even answering him, just send him to voicemail and ignoring him completely. I wish I could be there to see it.
Prediction: The DOJ will not do a damn thing with it.
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:26 PM   #275
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,807
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot. The riot was wrong but it's being overblown compared to the riots that took place after George Floyd, including the summer of love in Seattle.

The committee will never subpoena the secret service agents that were in the car with Trump because they want to take Hutchinson's word at face value.

The committee also heard testimony from at least a few people who were with Trump, including a DOD staffer named Kash Patel who testified that Trump authorized up to 20,000 troops from the national guard to prevent any problems. and this was before January 6th. The committee of course never aired this testimony.

Nor did the committee show the written letter from the DC mayor declining the troops offered by Trump. Nor did the committee interview Pelosi or the DC Mayor who were declared off limits by the committee.

Liz "toast" Cheney also mentioned that there was intel of possible violence prior to January 6th but the committee never interviewed the security personnel and those in charge of them.
One the 20 000 Troops had to be Aproved By the Capitol Police Chief, Nancy Pelosi, Both Sergeant at Arms, and Mitch McConnell, not the DC Mayor!
Mitch McConnell would never have approved of National Guard Troops at The Capitol unless he Knew it was going to Come under attack By Antifa or BLM!
With Antifa and BLM actively telling People not to go too the Capitol on the 6th Mitch McConnell would never have approved of the National Guard!
Mitch McConnell underestimated Trump's Stupidity!
Second anyone who wants to testify to the Committee can do so they have a Confidencial Tip line.
Yes BLM knew about the Insurrection 5 seconds after Trump's it's going to be Wild Tweet, thanks to Mr.X tipping them off, that's why BLM and Antifa didn't show up in Washington!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:27 PM   #276
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,979
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Prediction: The DOJ will not do a damn thing with it.
They really can't because the call was never answered so there's no evidence that he was trying to influence the person. We can pretty much guess that was the intention but since he never actually did it, there isn't actually a crime.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:28 PM   #277
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,807
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Republican politicians who attended the December 21, 2020 meeting with Trump where he threw the WH Counsel out of the meeting.

Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Brian Babin of Texas
Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida
Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Andy Harris of Maryland
Rep. Jody Hice of Georgia
Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio
Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
Rep-elect Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia

These people essentially snuck into the White House to meet with Trump about overturning the election. There were a few names on there I had not heard before. The brainpower of that group is astounding.
They wanted Trump to declare the Insurrection act, but BLM and Antifa didn't show up at the party because they were Warned in advance.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:29 PM   #278
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,807
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Fredo? That would be too funny.
Irony is that almost everybody in Trump's circle had nothing but comtempt for Donnie Jr. thinking he was a total idiot.
Like Father Like Son.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:29 PM   #279
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,245
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They really can't because the call was never answered so there's no evidence that he was trying to influence the person. We can pretty much guess that was the intention but since he never actually did it, there isn't actually a crime.
No. There is no "attempted obstruction of justice" statute. It's because attempted is the same thing as succeeded - obstruction of justice.

It's possible there is other evidence of intent, but I doubt it.

ETA: Unless Trump actually left a voicemail
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 12th July 2022 at 03:35 PM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:30 PM   #280
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,979
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Fredo? That would be too funny.
Irony is that almost everybody in Trump's circle had nothing but comtempt for Donnie Jr. thinking he was a total idiot.
Michael Cohen wrote in his book that Trump felt the same way. He derided him and called Jr. 'stupid', etc. in front of other people. It's one reason Jr. wants so badly to get his father's attention and approval...to the point of doing and saying anything to please him.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.