IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2022, 03:42 PM   #41
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if such a tale is trending as we speak.
Nothing of that sort is surprising anymore.

Blunt force? To the torso? Not to the head? Stairs? (How convenient.might that be?) When she was alone? Not found for some time? Time enough for her hard drive to be located and substituted with another?

Uh huh.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 03:53 PM   #42
zorro99
Graduate Poster

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say her ex husband Trump killed her to avoid the deposition he and his spawn were scheduled to give Friday. The deposition was postponed.
Old 16th July 2022, 03:59 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say her ex husband Trump killed her to avoid the deposition he and his spawn were scheduled to give Friday. The deposition was postponed. I'd be a right-winger.
FTFY
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 04:04 PM   #44
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Stupid question (but it seems like it's now or never):

In the 1999 Mike Myers film, "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me," Kristen Johnston played the henchwoman Ivana Humpalot. Was that name a takeoff on Ivana Trump's name? I always thought it was, right from the moment I first heard it. However, looking at material about the film, the writing, the production, the usual explanation is, the name was a parody of Xenia Onatopp from the James Bond film "Golden Eye," and also a pun on the phrase "I wanna hump a lot." However, the donald even then being well-known as the litigious sort, I presumed no one involved with the production was going to admit, "Yeah, Ivana Trump, Ivana Hump. A lot. Haha!"

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ivana Humpalot.jpg (35.7 KB, 5 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 04:24 PM   #45
sackett
Philosopher

You cant beat Trumpworld for sordidness.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 05:10 PM   #46
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Ivana Trump Dead: What Was Her Cause of Death?
Jessica McBrideJul 16, 2022 at 1:40am
ivana trump cause of death
Getty Ivana Trump

Ivana Trump is dead at the age of 73, according to former President Donald Trump.

What was her cause of death? How did Ivana Trump die? Police responded to a call that a person had gone into cardiac arrest, according to ABC7, and she died of natural causes.

“The FDNY said she suffered cardiac arrest and was dead by the time paramedics had arrived,” The New York Post initially reported.

However, it was later reported that Ivana was found unconscious and unresponsive at the bottom of a staircase, according to ABC7, which reported that police are now investigating whether she fell, and whether that contributed to her death. The medical examiner will determine the official cause of death.

TMZ subsequently reported that the medical examiner determined it was the fall that caused her death and she suffered blunt impact injuries to the torso as a result of it. The medical examiner believes the death was accidental, according to Fox News.

She was the former president’s first wife, and the mother of his three oldest children.

Trump announced Ivana’s death on Truth Social, his social media network.

https://heavy.com/news/ivana-trump-dead-cause-of-death/
Old 16th July 2022, 05:57 PM   #47
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Without hunting down links because I didn't collect them from this rabbit hole but anyone interested can find this stuff:

I was surprised to find out he contacted her frequently even recently and actually took her advice.

Seemed to me they were more partners in their real estate and social climbing 15 years. So it wasn't like his next 2 arm candy/trophy wives. I was surprised by that finding down my rabbit hole. I hadn't known that. I think more highly of her in a way knowing she was more than just Drumpf's wife.

She was certainly described to have been in feeble shape and falling down the stairs wasn't surprising.

As for fatal injuries to the chest in a fall: that could happen if fractured ribs punctured a lung. It could happen if it tore a major blood vessel in the chest and you either bled out internally or it compressed the heart causing a tamponade.

She fell the night before (speculated) and the housekeeper found her in the morning. She wasn't just unresponsive, she was dead. We know that because they pronounced her dead at the scene. "Unresponsive" is the language you would have expected on an aid or police call report.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 06:05 PM   #48
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Stupid question (but it seems like it's now or never):

In the 1999 Mike Myers film, "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me," Kristen Johnston played the henchwoman Ivana Humpalot. Was that name a takeoff on Ivana Trump's name? I always thought it was, right from the moment I first heard it. However, looking at material about the film, the writing, the production, the usual explanation is, the name was a parody of Xenia Onatopp from the James Bond film "Golden Eye," and also a pun on the phrase "I wanna hump a lot." However, the donald even then being well-known as the litigious sort, I presumed no one involved with the production was going to admit, "Yeah, Ivana Trump, Ivana Hump. A lot. Haha!"

What do you think?
Pretty sure it is just for the pun, like Alotta Fajina was a take-off of Pussy Galore.
Old 16th July 2022, 07:14 PM   #49
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Pretty sure it is just for the pun, like Alotta Fajina was a take-off of Pussy Galore.
I thought so too. But a pun on Ivana Trumpalot.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
...She wasn't just unresponsive, she was dead. We know that because they pronounced her dead at the scene...
I agree. If she was still alive when the police and EMS arrived -- even if just barely -- I'm sure they would have gotten her to an ER. No way they would 'pronounce her' at the scene if she was still alive when they got there. I would infer she was obviously deceased when they arrived.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 07:41 PM   #50
Venom
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Nothing of that sort is surprising anymore.

Blunt force? To the torso? Not to the head? Stairs? (How convenient.might that be?) When she was alone? Not found for some time? Time enough for her hard drive to be located and substituted with another?

Uh huh.
Some geniuses on Twitter doing the old WTC7, Jeffrey Epstein talking point of some physical circumstances at the scene looking "odd".
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2022, 05:34 PM   #51
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Donny is probably very sad about this
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 02:38 AM   #52
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently he buried her on one of his golf courses.

It's being claimed that by burying her there the golf course is a cemetery and he gets a lot of tax exemptions.

Some people, to be fair, are suggesting that this is an interim measure and she will be relocated.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 03:03 AM   #53
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Donny is probably very sad about this
I try not to anthropomorphize their kind but I imagine Trump and its spawn experience something akin to when monkeys lose a member of their troop.
Old 31st July 2022, 05:01 AM   #54
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apparently he buried her on one of his golf courses.

It's being claimed that by burying her there the golf course is a cemetery and he gets a lot of tax exemptions.

Some people, to be fair, are suggesting that this is an interim measure and she will be relocated.
There’s a limit to how much you can do that as a tax dodge in most states. Limits of 1 acre, no other usage whatsoever, etc. The municipality might not look kindly on this if he tries to claim the entire golf course as a cemetery.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 06:56 AM   #55
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Truly mindboggling even for this piece of garbage. The 'grave' is located at the trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, NJ. The inscription on her marker is just her name, date of birth and the date of her death. The immediate area around the 'gravesite' seems to have no landscaping. I admit to being surprised Ivana Trump's three kids would go along with this -- somewhat surprised, that is -- but I suppose they have no choice. From TMZ-
Quote:
The problem now is that pictures of her actual gravesite have surfaced for the world to see -- this after being snapped and published by the New York Post -- and people are shaking their collective heads at the images ... which many are calling sad, bare and disrespectful. Indeed, her burial plot does appear a bit ... bland. And not just that, but it's completely isolated -- without any adornment or much of anything else to honor her, save for a small bouquet of white flowers and a marble plaque that seems slapped down at her feet. TMZ link

People are even asking is this real? But apparently it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ivana gravesite.jpg (94.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Ivana grave marker inscription.jpg (14.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 31st July 2022, 07:21 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Perhaps that is only temporary?
Old 31st July 2022, 07:32 AM   #57
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Perhaps that is only temporary?
Could be. I'm sure it's one of those things that can be solved with money but there's usually a pretty long turnaround on memorials/tombstones/etc.
Old 31st July 2022, 08:23 AM   #58
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Could be. I'm sure it's one of those things that can be solved with money but there's usually a pretty long turnaround on memorials/tombstones/etc.
I remember when JFK was laid to rest in Arlington - that grave looked pretty bare also.

Reports say Ivana is in one of 10 plots laid out for the Trump family. Trump is also trying to get approval for a 500 plot cemetery for members of the club. That one I believe is still up in the air.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 08:28 AM   #59
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Business Insider reports:
Quote:
Trump has planned for at least a decade to build variations of a cemetery on the course. NPR reported in 2012 that his intention was to build a mausoleum to one day be buried in himself. He later amended his proposal to create a cemetery on the property to suggest building more than 1,000 possible graves. He later changed designs again, planning to create a "10 plot private family cemetery" in the same location, The Washington Post reported in 2017. Trump further amended the proposal to include a 284-plot cemetery, which would have gravesites available for sale. Link to Business Insider
The reporting has been, trump has been planning gravesites on the golf course as a way to generate hefty tax breaks for the course. When Insider asked representatives for donald trump and the trump National Golf Course to comment they did not reply.
Old 31st July 2022, 08:39 AM   #60
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I remember when JFK was laid to rest in Arlington - that grave looked pretty bare also...
Remembering events of almost 60 years ago can be tricky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kennedy Gravesite Nov 25 1963.jpg (141.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 31st July 2022, 09:01 AM   #61
slyjoe
Illuminator

Flowers don't last forever.

I never remembered that scene. It was the lonely flame before they put the paving around it that I was remembering. Hey - I was 6.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 09:14 AM   #62
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

The reporting has been, trump has been planning gravesites on the golf course as a way to generate hefty tax breaks for the course. When Insider asked representatives for donald trump and the trump National Golf Course to comment they did not reply.
I guess he lucked out and finally got a body he could plant there.
Old 31st July 2022, 11:14 AM   #63
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I propose we build a small prison on the Bedminster golf course to hold Trump. Give him a nice view from behind bars of people playing golf. One with a nice plaque that reads "Donald J. Trump, convicted of seditious conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and perjury. Sentenced to 20 years Jan 6, 2024.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 11:49 AM   #64
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Municipalities tend not to take kindly to attempted tax-dodging when it comes to property.

Most states have very strict rules about how much you can use for private cemeteries. Limits on size and hard restrictions on other usage.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 12:32 PM   #65
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
If your ball lands on her grave do you get a free drop or is it a 2 stroke penalty?
Old 31st July 2022, 02:45 PM   #66
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If your ball lands on her grave do you get a free drop or is it a 2 stroke penalty?
If your balls have dropped you get a free stroke.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2022, 03:26 PM   #67
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If your balls have dropped you get a free stroke.
I'm all for as many free strokes and Trump can get!
Old 31st July 2022, 11:03 PM   #68
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

For a slightly more succinct account of which tax breaks are invoked -

Quote:
As a tax researcher, I was skeptical of rumors Trump buried his ex-wife in that sad little plot of dirt on his Bedminster, NJ golf course just for tax breaks.

So I checked the NJ tax code & folks...it's a trifecta of tax avoidance. Property, income & sales tax, all eliminated.
Old 1st August 2022, 05:12 AM   #69
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Burying your ex wife on your privately owned golf course to get tax breaks."

*Satan, rapidly shuffling and flipping through folders on his desk* "I... I don't even have a form for that."
Old 1st August 2022, 06:09 AM   #70
Spyke
Critical Thinker

*Satan, rapidly shuffling and flipping through folders on his desk* "I... I don't even have a form for that."
I had two strokes on Thursday, still in hospital, and this made me laugh so hard. Thanks Joe!
Old 1st August 2022, 06:11 AM   #71
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
I had two strokes on Thursday, still in hospital, and this made me laugh so hard. Thanks Joe!
Yikes Spyke - take care.
Old 1st August 2022, 07:41 AM   #72
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
Jeez, good luck and get well soon!
Old 1st August 2022, 08:16 AM   #73
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
For a slightly more succinct account of which tax breaks are invoked -
If I'm reading this right, the only taxes avoided are those relating directly to the Cemetery Company, not the golf course, and the land dedicated to cemetery usage, which is tiny. That would be nickels.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 09:24 AM   #74
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
If I'm reading this right, the only taxes avoided are those relating directly to the Cemetery Company, not the golf course, and the land dedicated to cemetery usage, which is tiny. That would be nickels.
Most states allow family plots on large estates to be tax free. But most limit it to 1 acre or less, and that space cannot be used for anything else.

I doubt the local municipality is going to let Trump just start claiming huge swaths as tax free just cause he plops a body on it with a cheap headstone.

In Bucks County there is a cemetery that has something like one body buried in it, while it has all the trappings of a cemetery such as pathways and even an archway entrance, but only the one grave. This was done as tax avoidance but the owner has dotted all the “i”s and since the land is unused for any other purpose the locals have no recourse.

Old 1st August 2022, 09:31 AM   #75
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Most states allow family plots on large estates to be tax free. But most limit it to 1 acre or less, and that space cannot be used for anything else.

I doubt the local municipality is going to let Trump just start claiming huge swaths as tax free just cause he plops a body on it with a cheap headstone.

In Bucks County there is a cemetery that has something like one body buried in it, while it has all the trappings of a cemetery such as pathways and even an archway entrance, but only the one grave. This was done as tax avoidance but the owner has dotted all the “i”s and since the land is unused for any other purpose the locals have no recourse.
Not clear on how this is entirely a tax dodge if the property is in fact deed restricted for no other purpose but carcass internment. I mean, you buy the property and now can't do anything else with it. Unless it is intended as a space saver tax shelter? As in, the property is tax free while theoretically dedicated to cemetery use, then rezone it for luxury condos, thus losing the tax liability while it is in the holding pattern?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 10:14 AM   #76
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why did Trump dig a large grave for Ivana’s cremated ashes?

What has he buried in there? Phone logs from 1/6? FBI recordings of meetings with Russians? His tax returns?
Old 1st August 2022, 12:25 PM   #77
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What has he buried in there? Phone logs from 1/6? FBI recordings of meetings with Russians? His tax returns?
Has anyone seen Eric lately?
Old 1st August 2022, 06:58 PM   #78
Venom
Philosopher

Republicans: *crickets*
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2022, 08:10 PM   #79
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Hunter Biden’s laptop.
Old 2nd August 2022, 04:14 AM   #80
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Hunter Biden’s laptops.
FTFY -I think we were up to about 12 at last count....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics