ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags stonehenge

Old 22nd June 2020, 06:34 AM   #1
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Huge Neolithic structure found near Stonehenge

A huge circle of large shafts dug into the ground has been found in the vicinity of Stonehenge:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ear-stonehenge

The individual shafts are quite large, 5 meters deep and 10 meters in diameter. The circle formed by these structures would have been 1.2 miles in diameter.

Purpose unknown at this time.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 06:57 AM   #2
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I think it was a message to the surrounding villages: those guys get a huge monument, YOU get the shaft
Old 22nd June 2020, 07:51 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
A huge circle of large shafts dug into the ground has been found in the vicinity of Stonehenge:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ear-stonehenge

The individual shafts are quite large, 5 meters deep and 10 meters in diameter. The circle formed by these structures would have been 1.2 miles in diameter.

Purpose unknown at this time.

Early example of failed government contract by Group 4?
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:38 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Surprised it took this long to be discovered;you think the area around Stonhenge would have been pretty througly investigated.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:27 PM   #5
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Surprised it took this long to be discovered;you think the area around Stonhenge would have been pretty througly investigated.
Archaeological technology is advancing all the time. The article in the OP specifically mentions new technology in geophysical prospection, ground-penetrating radar and magnetometry. New tech, new discoveries.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:47 PM   #6
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

So, how long until the 'aliens' card is played?

Its interesting to note just how much free time our so called primitive ancestors had to actually organize and build such things. The whole 'hand to mouth' living usually portrayed for those societies is just so wrong.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:48 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post

Its interesting to note just how much free time our so called primitive ancestors had to actually organize and build such things. The whole 'hand to mouth' living usually portrayed for those societies is just so wrong.
Stonehenge, I believe, is well within the agricultural period.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:13 AM   #8
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Stonehenge, I believe, is well within the agricultural period.
I know, but the portrayal of stone age agricultural living, especially outside of the fertile crescent, egypt and parts of china is often shown as small villages or families living a hard and isolated life with little or no time for anything else.
Whereas this implies people who had enough to spare to support architects, builders, maintenance etc.

Given that we know of no major cities in Britain at that time this organization still needed to be coordinated over large distances and many years.
I always find it inspirational to see what humanity can achieve if we put ourselves a common goal, regardless of what tools we have.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 03:37 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I do understand your point but I think for such works given the time and labour required I suspect the society was arranged around the beliefs behind why they built. So it wasn't really "free time" but what they lived for.
Old 23rd June 2020, 03:40 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I know, but the portrayal of stone age agricultural living, especially outside of the fertile crescent, egypt and parts of china is often shown as small villages or families living a hard and isolated life with little or no time for anything else.
Whereas this implies people who had enough to spare to support architects, builders, maintenance etc.

Given that we know of no major cities in Britain at that time this organization still needed to be coordinated over large distances and many years.
I always find it inspirational to see what humanity can achieve if we put ourselves a common goal, regardless of what tools we have.
I agree, it's why I find those jumping to "the aliens did it" really do us all a disservice, we are as a group an ingenious species, give us a stone and we'll soon be carving out metre high and wide stone blocks. As the famous philosopher put it "the secret is to bang the rocks together guys" .
Old 23rd June 2020, 04:29 AM   #11
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As the article says, the holes, or at least some of them, were known about, but were dismissed as natural formations. Itís only more advanced techniques for geophysical surveying that has yielded more information about them.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2020, 07:08 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

The agricultural period is exactly the time when people were being freed up from constant food gathering, and were able to undertake other tasks.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd June 2020, 08:12 PM   #13
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

For a moment, I thought the OP was about Boris getting pissed and lost.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 01:57 PM   #14
Garrison
Philosopher

Tsk the people who built Stonehenge were too pale for the 'aliens did it' crowd.
Old 28th June 2020, 04:25 AM   #15
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I suppose it's also that even the most dedicated nutcase would find it hard to argue that digging a hole in the ground needs some amazing alien technology. When it's about carrying and lifting huge stones, I can see how one could be stumped as to how it could be done... if they're stupid enough. But a hole isn't nearly as impressive. Not the least because you don't have to lift its contents in one go, like you would with a stone for the pyramids. If you can get a bucket at a time out, you're all set to make as big a hole as you'd like.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts