ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , loch ness monster

Old 26th June 2020, 12:09 PM   #1
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Article: Loch Ness Monster 'spotted' by walker as new pics spark Nessie debate

Link: [Loch Ness Monster 'spotted' by walker as new pics spark Nessie debate]

Excerpt:
Quote:
If the photos are real, they could be 'some of the best ever taken'.
Posted b/c forum members may be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWLLM4J.jpg (40.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 26th June 2020, 12:12 PM   #2
3point14
Pi

They're clever, these prehistoric survivalists. They spend a lot of time on websites like 'what camera' and studying the specs of the latest smart phones and then make sure never, ever to make an appearance before someone who has half decent recording kit.

As grandfather Nessie once said, "Only approach those that are filming on a potato"

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 12:57 PM   #3
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Thoroughly debunked by a Nessie believer already:

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/...hotograph.html

Ward
Old 26th June 2020, 01:05 PM   #4
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Ok it's clearly not nessie but that's a huge fish! Do they make good eating...?

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 01:15 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ah yes, the "Nessie debate". Good job media for reporting on that one.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 04:03 AM   #6
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

This post was a bit redundant, so wiped.

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 27th June 2020 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Silly post
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post
Thoroughly debunked by a Nessie believer already:

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/...hotograph.html

Ward
That's a pretty remarkable debunking. I mean, to actually identify the photo of a catfish which has been snipped and pasted into the "Nessie" photo, using the pattern of speckles on the fish as a fingerprint. That's quite something.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 12:00 PM   #8
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

I know! It's hard to believe that a person or group of people would do this and still end up believing in Nessie. I know it's only one incident and cognitive dissonance is a strong force, but to be willing to dig this deep to come up with an answer, and yet still believe...

As you say, remarkable.

Ward
Old 27th June 2020, 12:06 PM   #9
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh.
Old 27th June 2020, 12:14 PM   #10
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Can any of you prove Nessie doesn't exist?

Yeah, I thought so. Therefore the photos are real.
Old 27th June 2020, 12:45 PM   #11
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Sigh.
I'm sorry. I believe.

Ward
Old 27th June 2020, 03:42 PM   #12
Armitage72
Illuminator

I know! It's hard to believe that a person or group of people would do this and still end up believing in Nessie. I know it's only one incident and cognitive dissonance is a strong force, but to be willing to dig this deep to come up with an answer, and yet still believe...

It reminds me of a fictional UFO group that appeared in the Delta Green setting for Call of Cthulhu. They believe in alien spacecraft visiting the Earth and want to find evidence that they exist, but they're also scientists who carefully examine evidence and don't hesitate to classify sightings as hoaxes or misidentifications. Given the setting, they're lucky that they haven't encountered any real aliens.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 12:11 AM   #13
Venom
Illuminator

Nessie "debate"
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 03:19 AM   #14
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

As you say, remarkable.

Ward

Especially when you read his article on why arguments that there is insufficient food mass for a colony of apex predators and one of the options he says have been prematurely ruled out is that Nessies are non corporeal and don't eat. To be fair he doesn't seem to persue that line of thinking but it's still listed as an option.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 02:03 PM   #15
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Nessie "debate"
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old 28th June 2020, 08:24 PM   #16
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Especially when you read his article on why arguments that there is insufficient food mass for a colony of apex predators and one of the options he says have been prematurely ruled out is that Nessies are non corporeal and don't eat. To be fair he doesn't seem to persue that line of thinking but it's still listed as an option.

Of course they aren't and they don't! They are imaginary, with no corporeal existence and thus no need to eat. QED.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:30 AM   #17
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Of course they aren't and they don't! They are imaginary, with no corporeal existence and thus no need to eat. QED.
I agree, but I don't think that is quite what he meant..

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 09:01 AM   #18
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Nessie's one of those things that doesn't even need an explanation, because there's just so many.

It's never been any one thing, it's always been a confused mess of different explanations all rolled into one ball of supposed mystery.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 09:03 AM   #19
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
That's a pretty remarkable debunking. I mean, to actually identify the photo of a catfish which has been snipped and pasted into the "Nessie" photo, using the pattern of speckles on the fish as a fingerprint. That's quite something.
It's not like they're busy with any actual Nessie sightings or anything, though, lol. It's nice that they took the time to show their reasoning.

The Nessie myth will always be here, because people want it to be here. Same goes for Bigfoot, etc.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 09:05 AM   #20
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Link: [Loch Ness Monster 'spotted' by walker as new pics spark Nessie debate]

Excerpt:

Posted b/c forum members may be interested.
Wow, those are pretty poor digital manipulations.

I expected better in 2020.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Ah yes, the "Nessie debate". Good job media for reporting on that one.
Also, this.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 12:26 PM   #21
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Nessie's one of those things that doesn't even need an explanation, because there's just so many.

It's never been any one thing, it's always been a confused mess of different explanations all rolled into one ball of supposed mystery.
Exactly.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:27 PM   #22
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It's not like they're busy with any actual Nessie sightings or anything, though....
Reigning world hide and seek champion. Takes skill.
Old 30th June 2020, 01:44 PM   #23
3point14
Pi

It's not like they're busy with any actual Nessie sightings or anything, though, lol. It's nice that they took the time to show their reasoning.

The Nessie myth will always be here, because people want it to be here. Same goes for Bigfoot, etc.
Not just want. According to this, profit by:

Loch Ness Monster worth nearly 41m a year to Scottish economy

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...ttish-economy/

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal