ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th June 2020, 03:43 PM   #41
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here's a pair that showed up in my pocket feed today: Freddie and Truus Oversteegen.
I was surprised just now to learn that both of them not only survived the war, but lived into their 90's.

I'm also surprised that no Linux afficionados have responded to the statement that all PC's are now Apple or Windows.
Old 30th June 2020, 03:50 PM   #42
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I was surprised just now to learn that both of them not only survived the war, but lived into their 90's.

I'm also surprised that no Linux afficionados have responded to the statement that all PC's are now Apple or Windows.
Can you buy a new computer with Linux as its sole operating system? Must be so rare as to make it unimportant for discussion. Yes, you can put it on after purchasing a computer.
Old 30th June 2020, 04:29 PM   #43
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Point of order: Smalls was the only commissioned black officer in the Federal Navy. There were many commissioned black junior officers in the Federal colored regiments recruited in Louisiana, though most of them were eventually driven out by bigotry and prejudice. And one black man, Martin DelaneyWP, was commissioned a major.
I stand corrected.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:22 PM   #44
Finster
Graduate Poster

In a different way than most already mentioned ... Fred Rogers
Old 30th June 2020, 05:25 PM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Can you buy a new computer with Linux as its sole operating system? Must be so rare as to make it unimportant for discussion. Yes, you can put it on after purchasing a computer.
I'd guess you can, but I expect you're correct about the rarity. Still surprised the fanboys haven't been here.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:57 PM   #46
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Not mentioned so far is Henry Ford. He mass produced cars that the ordinary people could afford. If he had died at birth this would not have happened for many years as it was a long time before he had any competition for this market. Cars have now changed society hugely.

I also give you The_100:_A_Ranking_of_the_Most_Influential_Persons _in_HistoryWP
I could be wrong, but I thought Ford was a Nazi supporter?
Old 30th June 2020, 08:50 PM   #47
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
He was deeply anti-Semitic. I don't know that you could go so far as to call him a "Nazi supporter", but he wasn't their biggest foe either.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 08:53 PM   #48
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Here's a pair that showed up in my pocket feed today: Freddie and Truus Oversteegen.
They, and the slave who became a US Navy captain are good examples of a different sort of hero. An ordinary person who, when the time arose, did extraordinary things.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:03 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Far as I know Raspberry Pi comes with Linux preinstalled, and I'm guessing that some servers do to. They wouldn't be bought by the average end-user.

For all else, I'm with Darat.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:54 PM   #50
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Can you buy a new computer with Linux as its sole operating system?
Yes.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 12:10 AM   #51
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
He was deeply anti-Semitic. I don't know that you could go so far as to call him a "Nazi supporter", but he wasn't their biggest foe either.
Yes, but I stand by what I said. And as for being anti-Semitic that was common before WW2.
Old 1st July 2020, 05:48 AM   #52
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but I stand by what I said. And as for being anti-Semitic that was common before WW2.
I agree completely. Ford changed the world and was instrumental in creating our modern world. I didn't include him on my list of heroes, but if my list were longer, he could be there. Honorable mention, despite anti-Semitism.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:06 AM   #53
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

There are a few manufacturers that sell those, yes. Assuming you mean a desktop or laptop. If you want server, then pretty much everyone sells them with Linux as an option.

And if some manufacturer or model doesn't come with Linux, you can usually get it with Free DOS instead. Or in a few cases with no OS installed. You still get to download and install Linux, but you didn't pay for Windows either.
Old 2nd July 2020, 05:54 AM   #54
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I think caring fathers and mothers are the best candidates.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:40 AM   #55
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'd never read that, how fascinating.
Me neither. And it is.
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:28 AM   #56
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Probably my favorite Historical Hero is the Indian Emperor Ashoka. His Kalinga Rock Edict is enough to catapult him into true Heroism for me.

As for military men. I rather admire the Korean Admiral Yi Sun Shin.

Regarding politicians. Well there is the Emperor Augustus, Margarethe I of Denmark, the founder of the Iroquois League Dekanawida.

Among Scientists. Marie Curie and Kepler.

As for Religious figures. Joan of Arc. For her endurance during her farcical trial and endurance of martyrdom.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:14 AM   #57
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Then there is Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. They both gave us the PC in our home.
The former of whom just installed Edge on my computer completely without permission.
Whereas the later always thought you should be asking his permission.

It was Jack Tramiel who put the first PC in my home, and many others!
At the end of the day it was Robert Noyce and Gordon Moore who made it possible for anyone to put the first PC in your house.
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:24 PM   #58
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Tycho Brahe
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:01 PM   #59
Galaxie
Muse

I don't know if I'd call them heroes, but:

Henry Maudslay for the screw-cutting lathe. He didn't invent it, but he improved it to the point it became an essential industrial tool. Imagine hand filing screw threads before this!

Joseph Whitworth for the "three plate method" of generating accurate flat surfaces. It's essential for many (all?) precision instruments.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:13 PM   #60
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I don't know if I'd call them heroes, but:

Henry Maudslay for the screw-cutting lathe. He didn't invent it, but he improved it to the point it became an essential industrial tool. Imagine hand filing screw threads before this!

Joseph Whitworth for the "three plate method" of generating accurate flat surfaces. It's essential for many (all?) precision instruments.
Is that the same Whitworth who came up with 55 degree threads?
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:18 PM   #61
Galaxie
Muse

Is that the same Whitworth who came up with 55 degree threads?
Yes, the very same. It's a pretty good thread system, but the rounded thread crest and valley are not ideal for mass production.

EDIT: Ya know what, it occurs to me that if the Whitworth thread is rolled, there's really no problem. It's when cutting threads that it is an issue.

Last edited by Galaxie; 2nd July 2020 at 01:23 PM.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:43 PM   #62
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Tycho Brahe
When I read "The Scientists" I was amazed to learn about Tycho Brahe. Of course I had heard of him as one of the original astronomers. What I didn't know was that his data was recorded and used for hundreds of years. Sone of the discoveries of other earlier astronomers were not by independent observation and recording, but actually by analyzing Tycho's data.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:02 PM   #63
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

From the point of view of study, I'm a huge fan of the Medici. When I lived in Italy I had a whole tour of Florence I took visitors on called places where the Medici had people whacked. That said, I would not have wanted to live under their rule.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:17 PM   #64
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Yes, the very same. It's a pretty good thread system, but the rounded thread crest and valley are not ideal for mass production.

EDIT: Ya know what, it occurs to me that if the Whitworth thread is rolled, there's really no problem. It's when cutting threads that it is an issue.
And rolled threads are better anyway, just not suitable for other than mass production. Stronger, and produce no scrap.

There's really no reason 60 degrees is more sensible than 55, but it just always seems off to me!
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #65
MMarco
New Blood

Hi.
I think you can as there are a few vendors out there that promote Linux computers, laptops and desktops.
Still you will not find many applications and programs working for them
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #66
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The names listed had some major influence on history but I don't know if I would call them "heros" (apart from preventing the godwinning of this thread).
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #67
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The names listed had some major influence on history but I don't know if I would call them "heros" (apart from preventing the godwinning of this thread).
I have a real problem with the openness of the definition of "hero" used in this thread (not blaming anyone as it seems to reflect common usage). However, I see a hero as someone who puts his (her) life in danger in order to save another human being from harm or death.

It may apply to some politicians, soldiers, sportsmen, scientists, and etc but only incidentally.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #68
Lothian
should be banned

All my heros are sporting and my worship is purely for their onfield activities. I struggle to relate to traditional historical heros.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #69
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Mikhail Gorbachev.

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:24 AM   #70
MMarco
New Blood

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Mikhail Gorbachev.
I am quite ambivalent about Gorbachev.
It is very famous in the West but mostly despised in Russia.
Apparently, many people consider him as the man who caused the collapse of the Soviet Union.
And the period of poverty that followed the collapse.
MMarco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:52 AM   #71
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
When I read "The Scientists" I was amazed to learn about Tycho Brahe. Of course I had heard of him as one of the original astronomers. What I didn't know was that his data was recorded and used for hundreds of years. Sone of the discoveries of other earlier astronomers were not by independent observation and recording, but actually by analyzing Tycho's data.
Yes.
There are never enough people who use their knowledge, skill and resources to lay the groundwork for others to thrive on.
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #72
jenspen
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I agree with a lot of Meadmaker’s nominations, and will add a few more:

If we are going back to Ancient Egypt, my nomination is Hatsheput. She Made Egypt Great Again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatshepsut

Another ancient hero was Julian. By the standards of his time, enlightened, progressive and philosophical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_(emperor)
My first thought was of an ancient hero too - Marcus Tullius Cicero, sceptic philosopher and a statesman for our own times. He upheld the principles of the Roman Republic successfully against one would be dictator, Catiline, but was murdered by followers of another, Mark Anthony, who in revenge had Cicero's head displayed in the Senate.

In this time of plague, I've been bringing my Latin back from the dead and have relished some of the great Senator's blistering denunciations and the bons mots that have come my way (and within my limited comprehension).

And yes, Gough Whitlam, another great statesman who, when he was interviewed by David Frost named his political models some other ancient Roman statesmen and reformers - The Brothers Gracci - and also "Roosevelt the Second".
jenspen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts