IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 03:15 PM   #1201
angrysoba
Philosophile

Trump was saying: There are states where Biden is winning; keep counting
There are states where I am winning; stop counting!

That's a totally legit complaint to take to court.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:15 PM   #1202
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Despite 'calling' results in 2016 with similar levels of counting, this time they are mysteriously waiting to call it. Nevada has stopped for the night and the results are expected circa noon EST.

I wonder if it is because they are worried about 'trouble' so are treading towards a result step by step instead of as a grand announcement. The press seem to be 'playing it down', possibly because of Black Lives Matter demonstrators and the Proud Boys 'Standing by' as requested by Trump. So, if the results are announced softly-softly then the flames of riots and looting will be quelled, is the possible theory.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:16 PM   #1203
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
maybe that blond woman that used to date Bill Maher, whose name I can't be bothered to remember because she's like two models out of date...
This caused me to check Ann Coulter's Twitter page. It looks like a lot of complaining that Trump didn't do enough to appeal to white people. She quotes someone:

Quote:
According to the exit poll, Trump did better in 2020 with every race and gender except white men.

Change from 2016:

White Men -5
White Women +2
Black Men +4
Black Women +4
Latino Men +3
Latino Women +3
Other +5
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:19 PM   #1204
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

From FiveThirtyEight blogger:*

Quote:
Portman and McConnell are among the Republican senators who are making “count every vote”-style comments that are clearly intended as pushing back against Trump. This is important.
*ETA: Perry Bacon Jr.

Last edited by Minoosh; 4th November 2020 at 03:20 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:19 PM   #1205
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Where is Prestige? I said that Trump was going to declare victory early and then demand that they stop counting votes. He mocked this and then said we should bet on it.

Trump as always wants to cheat.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:22 PM   #1206
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Biden ahead 3.3 million in popular vote. What a travesty if he somehow loses the EC.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:23 PM   #1207
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
From FiveThirtyEight blogger:*

*ETA: Perry Bacon Jr.
I saw on twitter that RogueWhiteHouseStaff said that Biden should put McConnell on his cabinet....
Old 4th November 2020, 03:23 PM   #1208
dirtywick
Illuminator

Starting every election with a 3 point handicap is pretty tough to overcome.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:24 PM   #1209
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I've noticed the trumpkins have been very active all of a sudden the last 24 hours. They've all come out of the woodwork. Wonder how long it'll last.

No, I didn't go to sleep. Sue me.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:24 PM   #1210
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I saw on twitter that RogueWhiteHouseStaff said that Biden should put McConnell on his cabinet....
He should put him in a closet, and lock it.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:24 PM   #1211
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
In the WT-Actual-F category, trump has now staked an "electoral votes claim" on all states where he currently has a lead
Trump is such a putz. I hear that many Republicans are disgusted by this behavior.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:25 PM   #1212
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Biden ahead 3.3 million in popular vote. What a travesty if he somehow loses the EC.
He just said in his speech that he's going to receive more votes than any other candidate in US history.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:26 PM   #1213
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Trump is such a putz. I hear that many Republicans are disgusted by this behavior.
That's because they honestly want him out.

At least, legitimate ones.

Can't say anything about deplorables.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:26 PM   #1214
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
You guys ask for proof that any sort of voter fraud happens on any kind of large scale. The problem is, by the very nature of the action and the very nature of the problem that is being pointed out, it is inherently very difficult to demonstrate it is occurring in any significant numbers. That's kind of the whole point. What's being pointed out is that the system is not secure in any way.

This is not some obscure constitutional right that says you can enter any federal postal facility and request a cute smiley face sticker for free, as a citizen of the united states, up to one time per month. This is not me coming along and saying "how do we know people aren't getting two stickers per month? or non-citizens might be getting stickers?!?!?"

This is the bedrock right in our society that determines the direction of it, at least according to most. I think it is incredibly strange that anyone would be offering even the slightest pushback against such basic measures to ensure election integrity.

Once again it's another case where the left is able to weaponize PoC incompetence against whites.

"Blacks can't obey the law and help themselves violently attacking police during an arrest, so we need to get rid of the cops / laws."

"Blacks can't handle having gun rights, so whites need to lose theirs."

"Blacks create crappy neighborhoods and environments full of crime, so you need to let us place them in your safe, happy white communities so they can live in a nice area. No comment about whether it will remain one."

"Third worlders live in really crappy countries, and preventing them from forcefully deciding they are going to live in yours instead is really making them sad and they really WANT to be here, so you don't get to have borders or any sort of immigration controls or maintain your demographic control of the nation your ancestors built for you, whitey."

"Blacks are too low agency and low IQ to get any kind of government issued ID, even if it's free and you need only show up with a pulse to get one, and we already have a huge infrastructure to help them take advantage of every government program and it would be trivial to ensure that the vast majority of them get said ID... so because they can't manage even this incredibly basic step, you don't get to have any sort of election security, whitey."

"Blacks and other PoC can't get into jobs / schools on their own merit in any kind of appreciable numbers, and when they do get in they don't do so hot on tests - so we need you to go ahead and abandon all notions of academic standards you've ever had"
Nice attempt at trying to spin the reality of what's going on away. Probably works really well if one wants to believe it desperately, because the truth is decidedly less pleasant for the groups that one feels like they're a part of - and deeply emotionally attached to as part of their identity.

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
Wow, enraged Trump fans trying to stop vote counting in MI earlier. Trump is suing to try to get them to stop counting in MI and PA.

https://twitter.com/PattersonNBC/sta...86177885003778
Reminds me of Florida in 2018 in particular.

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Well, it took a while, but we finally got to see the admission of the core idiocy of the CT needed here. The fact that it's a CT that can't be proved would be the bug that would cause an actual skeptic to take pause; for the dedicated racist/CTist "skeptic," it's the feature necessary for the faith to take flight.
For what it's worth, if voter fraud could be demonstrated happening in any notable manner, most Democrats would be firmly in favor of cracking down on it in a rational manner, no matter who was benefiting from it. That requirement for actual evidence is a pesky one, though, and even moreso after all of the deeply misleading or outright nonsensically false claims made by Republicans for many years now - with Republicans frequently having been caught admitting the political motivation behind their deceptions or otherwise showing their glee when even face with the potential of skewing the final vote counts more towards Republicans.

Last edited by Aridas; 4th November 2020 at 03:33 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:27 PM   #1215
Cain
Straussian

Silly super-sized meme:

Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:27 PM   #1216
eerok
Quixoticist

Meanwhile Biden has canceled his victory rally, even though he's almost sure to win, because he respects the process and will wait until it's official.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:28 PM   #1217
trustbutverify
Philosopher

In the WT-Actual-F category, trump has now staked an "electoral votes claim" on all states where he currently has a lead

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
We "hereby Claim"?

I "hereby claim" Killary was 100% right about this repulsive sociopath and his slack-jawed cultists. Guess that makes it official.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:28 PM   #1218
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

In case anyone wants to see Giuliani's nonsensical press conference in Philly:

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1324104068751597574
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:30 PM   #1219
eerok
Quixoticist

I've been watching the margin narrow for Georgia all day, and it looks like it's not impossible for Biden to win it now. That'd be sweet.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:34 PM   #1220
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
While I will be glad to see him go, the fact that he ever became President of the United States will be a stain on this country that won't fade for a while.

And........that assumes Nevada.

They haven't reported any new votes for a very long time. I always get confused as to why this happens.
You might have missed this.

Nevada will be updating daily at 10 AM in the coming days. If I understand it correctly, they haven't recieved the contents of the drop boxes yet due to USPS slowdowns in delivering it, and they don't expect to recieve all of them for a least a few more days.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:41 PM   #1221
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I feel like Father Lankester Merrin after the Exorcism.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:41 PM   #1222
MinnesotaBrant
Philosopher

Trump sounds like he thinks he will lose Michigan and Pennsylvania with the lawsuit thing
Old 4th November 2020, 03:46 PM   #1223
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post

1.) A United States citizen has a constitutional right to vote in elections.

2.) Obviously if this is an important and serious right, the notion that it must be established that the person showing up seeking to use that right IS the person with that right and the person they are claiming to use the right of, should be totally uncontroversial and it kind of blows my mind that anyone would push back against this at all.
Because a citizen has the right to vote, as you have yourself noted in point 1.) it become unconstitutional to impede that right, for example by asking them to jump through unreasonable hoops to do so.

Many people cannot afford to obtain a drivers licence so mandating that you show a DL to be able to vote would be the very definition of unreasonable.

Now the problem becomes what is reasonable. To date noone has been able to answer that question satisfactorily.

On top of that there is no evidence of large scale voter fraud. None. So requiring an id check is fixing a problem that doesn't exist, and it can't be done without placing an unreasonable burden on some US citizens thus impeding their constitutional right to vote.

Show evidence of large scale voting fraud that requires an id check. Or propose a way of checking id that does not place an unreasonable burden on any citizens.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:48 PM   #1224
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Strictly sarcastic? Or what?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:51 PM   #1225
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I've been watching the margin narrow for Georgia all day, and it looks like it's not impossible for Biden to win it now. That'd be sweet.

Where are you getting your updates?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:51 PM   #1226
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think he should put him in a cabinet. Maybe cut a few air holes in it
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:52 PM   #1227
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Trump sounds like he thinks he will lose Michigan and Pennsylvania with the lawsuit thing
Well, he has had armies of lawyers on the ground in PA for weeks. He might as well get his money's worth.

Trump is trying to get as many electoral votes as he can. He wants to get to 270 Biden, 268 Trump. That way he can start claiming that the "election was rigged." Even if he cannot win, this is what we will see till january.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:53 PM   #1228
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

They might need to do a 'Ceaucescu' to get him out of the White House. Insert Trump's name in its place and we have:

Quote:
However, Ceaușescu had misjudged the crowd's mood. Roughly eight minutes into his speech, several people began jeering and booing, and others began chanting "Timișoara!" He tried to silence them by raising his right hand and calling for the crowd's attention before order was temporarily restored, then proceeded to announce social benefit reforms that included raising the national minimum wage by 200 lei per month to a total of 2,200 per month by 1 January. Images of Ceaușescu's facial expression as the crowd began to boo and heckle him were among the most widely broadcast of the collapse of Communism in Eastern Europe.[14]

Failing to control the crowd, the Ceaușescus finally took cover inside the building that housed the Central Committee of the Romanian Communist Party. The rest of the day saw an open revolt of Bucharest's population, which had assembled in University Square and confronted the police and army at barricades. The rioters, however, were no match for the military apparatus concentrated in Bucharest, which cleared the streets by midnight and arrested hundreds of people in the process.

<snip>

Ceaușescu made a last desperate attempt to address the crowd gathered in front of the Central Committee building, but the people in the square began throwing stones and other projectiles at him, forcing him to take refuge in the building once more. He, Elena and four others managed to get to the roof and escape by helicopter, only seconds ahead of a group of demonstrators who had followed them there.

<snip> Ceaușescu and his wife Elena fled the capital with Emil Bobu and Manea Mănescu and flew by helicopter to Ceaușescu's Snagov residence, from which they fled again, this time to Târgoviște. They abandoned the helicopter near Târgoviște, having been ordered to land by the army, which by that time had restricted flying in Romania's airspace. The Ceaușescus were held by the police while the policemen listened to the radio. They were eventually turned over to the army.

<snip>

The Ceaușescus were executed by a gathering of soldiers: Captain Ionel Boeru, Sergeant-Major Georghin Octavian and Dorin-Marian Cîrlan,[41] while reportedly hundreds of others also volunteered. Before his sentence was carried out, Nicolae Ceaușescu sang "The Internationale" whilst being led up against the wall. The firing squad began shooting as soon as the two were in position against a wall.

Later that day, the execution was also shown on Romanian television.[42] The hasty show trial and the images of the dead Ceaușescus were videotaped and the footage released in numerous Western countries two days after the execution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceau%C8%99escu

Of course, Trump and Melania wouldn't be executed but, hey, who knows what the future holds with all of the allegations.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:55 PM   #1229
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I think he should put him in a cabinet. Maybe cut a few air holes in it
McConnell? He doesn't need air. All of his blood died decades ago, it basically just circulates as a cooling system to keep the rot limited. With less success lately.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:55 PM   #1230
EHocking
Philosopher

I look forward to the sight of Trump being dragged from the White House, looking more deranged than Julian Assange as he was dragged from the Ecuador embassy.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 03:56 PM   #1231
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Because a citizen has the right to vote, as you have yourself noted in point 1.) it become unconstitutional to impede that right, for example by asking them to jump through unreasonable hoops to do so.

Many people cannot afford to obtain a drivers licence so mandating that you show a DL to be able to vote would be the very definition of unreasonable.

Now the problem becomes what is reasonable. To date noone has been able to answer that question satisfactorily.

On top of that there is no evidence of large scale voter fraud. None. So requiring an id check is fixing a problem that doesn't exist, and it can't be done without placing an unreasonable burden on some US citizens thus impeding their constitutional right to vote.

Show evidence of large scale voting fraud that requires an id check. Or propose a way of checking id that does not place an unreasonable burden on any citizens.
If people are really concerned about voter fraud committed by anyone without ID, there are easy ways to address this nonexistent problem. Instead of preventing their vote, you could require not only that they sign an affidavit that spells out that voter fraud is a felony punishable by prison, but take a digital photo and get a thumbprint.

But I bet this isn't satisfactory for Tank because he's more interested in preventing votes that he's afraid won't tilt his way.
Old 4th November 2020, 03:57 PM   #1232
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (which won’t allow legal observers) the State of Georgia, and the State of North Carolina, each one of which has a BIG Trump lead. Additionally, we hereby claim the State of Michigan if, in fact,.....

there was a large number of secretly dumped ballots as has been widely reported!

Second part of this tweet was marked as misleading
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 04:01 PM   #1233
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

There are protests marches in Philadelphia to Count Every Vote going on right now.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 04:04 PM   #1234
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

'I want to speak to the polls manager'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EmA01bCWoAE7X5B.jpg (51.4 KB, 16 views)

Old 4th November 2020, 04:05 PM   #1235
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
There are protests marches in Philadelphia to Count Every Vote going on right now.
https://youtu.be/pPKLoVA161Y

Massive "Count Every Vote" banner visible from aerial footage.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 04:06 PM   #1236
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I feel like Father Lankester Merrin after the Exorcism.
I forget, is he the one that ended up at the bottom of the steps?
Old 4th November 2020, 04:07 PM   #1237
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Where are you getting your updates?
CNN.
Old 4th November 2020, 04:07 PM   #1238
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I look forward to the sight of Trump being dragged from the White House, looking more deranged than Julian Assange as he was dragged from the Ecuador embassy.
Birds of a feather.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 04:08 PM   #1239
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think it’s over now that MI is called. NV is completely done with the in person vote with Biden up 8k, it’s entirely mail in ballots left and likely to expand his lead.
Old 4th November 2020, 04:11 PM   #1240
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I forget, is he the one that ended up at the bottom of the steps?
No, he's the Max Von Sydow character, who died before the exorcism was completed.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics