ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th October 2018, 03:20 PM   #41
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post

As you no doubt know, some still do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6yHPRsxyRo

I had to stop watching this after 5 minutes when I found myself at the point of smashing my computer screen with a hammer.
Old 5th October 2018, 03:26 PM   #42
Thor 2
Illuminator

Oh The Roman Catholics have only relatively recently conceded their mistake in persecuting Galileo.

Quote:
More than 350 years after the Roman Catholic Church condemned Galileo, Pope John Paul II is poised to rectify one of the Church's most infamous wrongs -- the persecution of the Italian astronomer and physicist for proving the Earth moves around the Sun.
Old 5th October 2018, 03:59 PM   #43
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Galileo discussed heliocentric theory, not flat earth (given that he lived a century after Columbus, sent forth by Roman Catholic rulers... yeah... anti-religious fervor, catch it!)

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 04:15 PM   #44
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Galileo discussed heliocentric theory, not flat earth (given that he lived a century after Columbus, sent forth by Roman Catholic rulers... yeah... anti-religious fervor, catch it!)
Good of you to confirm what Thor 2 wrote.
Old 5th October 2018, 05:01 PM   #45
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Good of you to confirm what Thor 2 wrote.
you don't understand what heliocentric is either?

Huh

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2018, 05:25 PM   #46
Rincewind
Philosopher

Huh

Courtesy of Wiki:

Heliocentrism[1] is the astronomical model in which the Earth and planets revolve around the Sun at the center of the Solar System.

What he said...
Old 5th October 2018, 06:52 PM   #47
Thor 2
Illuminator

Yes a flat Earth orbiting the Sun. That would be a dag wouldn't it.
Old 5th October 2018, 11:48 PM   #48
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
No, is that meant to be a joke too?
Yes.
Old 6th October 2018, 02:00 AM   #49
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Huh

What do you think it means?
Old 6th October 2018, 02:11 AM   #50
Chanakya

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
...The location being precisely opposite Mecca on planet Earth.

It has occurred to me that this should be a special place for the followers of Islam, because all directions are equal distance to Mecca, so they could pray whichever way they liked. ...

Wouldn't they need to put up vertical planks with seats, strap themselves on to those seats, and direct their prayers to the ground (and onward to Mecca)?

ETA : Haven't read the thread, just the OP. But I notice the post just above mine speaks of a heliocentric worldview and everything. Looks like I may've been ninja'd, big time?

Last edited by Chanakya; 6th October 2018 at 02:17 AM.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 09:12 AM   #51
dann
Philosopher

Am I the only one who’s reminded of Philip K. Dick’s novel?

Quote:
Deities can be spoken to directly via a series of prayer amplifiers and transmitters, but they may not be happy about it.
A Maze of Death
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 10:16 AM   #52
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

When Muslims pray, they face toward Mecca, they do not pray to Mecca.

I get that this subtlety will be lost while we "yuk" it up over, tho.
Prayer has been proven to be utterly useless. Why do it at all if your deity of choice doesn't care anyway.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2018, 10:21 AM   #53
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The understanding that earth was a globe predated christianity.

It took religion to attempt to suppress it.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2018, 02:50 PM   #54
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Prayer has been proven to be utterly useless. Why do it at all if your deity of choice doesn't care anyway.

Well you see God has this problem because although He is omniscient, omnipotent, etc, He wants to make it really hard for folk to believe in Him - could be something to do with lack of real estate in Heaven maybe. If He was to answer prayers and do nice stuff then everyone would believe.

There is the other question that being omni everything raises. God has a perfect plan already laid out, so if he was to answer the prayers of every shmuck that comes along, and that is contrary to his grand plan, what then?*

Mind you in spite of God's efforts the majority of people in the World do believe in some kind of god. The versions do differ to a larger or lesser degree however. Even if you were to question members of the same church you would find details about the god they believe in that were inconsistent to some degree. It would almost suggest the version of god they hold dear only exists in their own heads.

* The cleverness of God in disguising his existence is evident in creation.

- Adam and Eve created perfect but turned out not so.
- The great flood and start again with Noah picked as a righteous man. Noah however turns out to be a drunk, falling about naked, and laying on some heavy and unjust curses.
- God choses Lot as His man when he wipes out Sodom and Gomorrah but Lot heads to the hills and has an incestuous relationship with both his daughters, knocking them both up. Some choice!

All this makes sense if you look at it in the light that God is just trying to make his existence difficult to believe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy