ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

What were you 'raised' to believe?

I was 'raised' in a 900 square foot home on small farm, with a brother, a half brother, an adopted sister, three foster kids, and a mom and dad.

I was told that Numerology, water well witching, Astrology, Leprechauns, Fairy's, Palm Reading, God, Spirits, Ghosts, Ouija Boards (we sent untold HOURS on that) and legends and ******** of all kind were 100% FACT, true, and to be honoured, and believed.

As a grade schooler I was belittled, shamed and beaten, for standing up for my mom's beliefs.

I started realizing my mother was insane when I was about 12 years old (finally found out Santa was fake) , and when I could out think, out smart and out debate her as a daily routine, I stated to what we would callow think critically.

It took me 4 or 5 more years to realize that none of these items were scientific .. Start Trek the original series TV Show .. really helped .. I learned a lot from that show

How were you raised?
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:34 AM   #2
Diablo
Muse

Secular at home, apart from being made to go to Sunday school - probably so my parents could have some peace and quiet. Religious lessons at school which were quite unpleasant since they focussed on some poor guy being tortured to death because of other people's wrongdoing.

Still hate churches....
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:42 AM   #3
3point14
Pi

I was raised without any real beliefs. I wasn't given a religious or political doctrine to follow.

I now realise this is unusual. At the time I though that that was what happened to everyone.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:43 AM   #4
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I was raised to belief Donald Bradman was god.

He was.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Secular at home, apart from being made to go to Sunday school - probably so my parents could have some peace and quiet. Religious lessons at school which were quite unpleasant since they focussed on some poor guy being tortured to death because of other people's wrongdoing.

Still hate churches....
Yes we had mandatory classes with the Church Lady ... all the kids called her "tit face" because of her extreme acne problem

I was sent to stand in the hallway several times, she literally LIED and told EVERYONE men had one less rib than women ... when I showed the schools biology book showing equal ribs .. i was banned to the hall way
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:54 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

He was.

Some might say he was .06 short of divinity.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Diablo
Muse

He was.
Na, missed out the 100 average....
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:58 AM   #8
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Some might say he was .06 short of divinity.

You know how in Islamic architecture there is always a deliberate fault somewhere in the building (only allah is perfect).........?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:59 AM   #9
3point14
Pi

You know how in Islamic architecture there is always a deliberate fault somewhere in the building (only allah is perfect).........?

Old 14th September 2018, 11:30 AM   #10
Apathia
Illuminator

From age 7, my grandmother packed my sister and I off to a Baptist Church every Sunday. I got interested in the Bible, as well as Science, and many other things. I was non-stop with questions and soon found that the adults in my life were appallingly ignorant. So I took charge of my own learning.

On my own volition I left the Baptist Church and became a Seventh-Day Adventist. I still took responsibility for whatever I came to believe rather than simply parroting the church beliefs. So eventually I outgrew SDA, and the general Christian world.

I feel I raised myself, as far as religion goes. My intellectual drive was to know facts and truth, and that I was both responsible and able to find them out on my own.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 12:03 PM   #11
wasapi
Philosopher

Interesting question. Mine was eclectic. My step father was Jewish and at times made me go to sabbath school, which never lasted wrong. My grandmother and aunts and uncles were Southern Baptist and at times included me. My mother was a Christian Scientist, and tried teaching me her beliefs.

None of it stuck. Everyone seemed to be saying the same thing, differently.
Old 14th September 2018, 12:12 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Church was good, although Catholics were dubious.
Republicans were good, Democrats were dubious.
Education was good.
Being kind to people was good.
Old 14th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #13
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Church was good, although Catholics were dubious.
Republicans were good, Democrats were dubious.
Education was good.
Being kind to people was good.
Same, but with

People are basically good. Thermal was dubious.
Old 14th September 2018, 01:40 PM   #14
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
I was 'raised' in a 900 square foot home on small farm, with a brother, a half brother, an adopted sister, three foster kids, and a mom and dad.

I was told that Numerology, water well witching, Astrology, Leprechauns, Fairy's, Palm Reading, God, Spirits, Ghosts, Ouija Boards (we sent untold HOURS on that) and legends and ******** of all kind were 100% FACT, true, and to be honoured, and believed.

As a grade schooler I was belittled, shamed and beaten, for standing up for my mom's beliefs.

I started realizing my mother was insane when I was about 12 years old (finally found out Santa was fake) , and when I could out think, out smart and out debate her as a daily routine, I stated to what we would callow think critically.

It took me 4 or 5 more years to realize that none of these items were scientific .. Start Trek the original series TV Show .. really helped .. I learned a lot from that show

How were you raised?
Catholic. So, only somewhat less bizarre beliefs than yours, but since they were held by so many people, not viewed as bizarre by the rest of the world. At least, not at that time.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 01:47 PM   #15
Pope130
Master Poster

I was raised in a house full of books. I was taught that some books are fact and some are fiction, and that it was important to understand the difference. That books that are fact can have errors, and that books that are fiction can express ideas that are true. I was taught to never assume that what one book said was true, to always check several different sources, and to find out for myself.

I was also taught that people are much like books in those respects.

Thanks Mom.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 02:00 PM   #16
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I was raised without any real beliefs. I wasn't given a religious or political doctrine to follow.

I now realise this is unusual. At the time I though that that was what happened to everyone.
Basically this.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:20 PM   #17
Thor 2
Illuminator

Didn't get much in the way of religious indoctrination from my parents, who were not church goers, but was subjected to quite a bit as a result of attending with friends families who were church goers. Got some from the Boy Scouts and from the YMCA as well.

Got enough from those sources to put me in fear of going to Hell. I hated church from the start, but because I had the belief hammered into me, was convinced the fiery place was were I was headed. What a relief when I found Bertrand Russell at the age of 16.

My parents, my brother and I, did go to The Swedish Church in Melbourne a couple of times a year, but that was really just a social thing to meet with other Swedes. My father used to say he didn't like the way religion was taught in Australia as an excuse for non church attendance.

Can't really say why I disliked church so much. I just found it somehow distasteful and was almost nauseated by the atmosphere there. I had influence on my parents I think in later years and drove them further away from the flimsy faith they one had.
Old 14th September 2018, 03:46 PM   #18
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Got enough from those sources to put me in fear of going to Hell. I hated church from the start, but because I had the belief hammered into me, was convinced the fiery place was were I was headed. What a relief when I found Bertrand Russell at the age of 16.
Had he really done much by the age of 16?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 03:53 PM   #19
ynot
Philosopher

Was raised without any religious or any paranormal/irrational beliefs other than “Santa is real”, and that only lasted for a few hours before my older brother eagerly told me the truth and showed me where the presents from our parents were hidden. I’ve never adopted any religious or other paranormal/irrational beliefs on my own account. So I was raised only with normal/rational beliefs.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:08 PM   #20
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Raised catholic. Hated going to church. Parents finally gave up when I was 11 or 12.
Sex was "bad". I snuck playboys into the house. My mom found them and freaked and tore them up. Repeat.

I remember distinctly when I was about 7 or 8 seeing that iconic picture that showed the line of primate evolving step by step to human and thinking "Hey, that makes a LOT more sense."

I was generally picked on and was very afraid of a lot of things. Never felt I could talk to my parents or anyone about these fears. Did a lot of drugs in my mid teens and go pretty messed up. At 19 lost my virginity to a 35 year old. The end.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 04:15 PM   #21
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
Raised catholic. Hated going to church. Parents finally gave up when I was 11 or 12.
Sex was "bad". I snuck playboys into the house. My mom found them and freaked and tore them up. Repeat.

I remember distinctly when I was about 7 or 8 seeing that iconic picture that showed the line of primate evolving step by step to human and thinking "Hey, that makes a LOT more sense."

I was generally picked on and was very afraid of a lot of things. Never felt I could talk to my parents or anyone about these fears. Did a lot of drugs in my mid teens and go pretty messed up. At 19 lost my virginity to a 35 year old. The end begining.
Ftfy
Old 14th September 2018, 04:19 PM   #22
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Ftfy
Good point. Growing up sucked. Being an adult has been way better.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 04:32 PM   #23
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Catholic. So, only somewhat less bizarre beliefs than yours, but since they were held by so many people, not viewed as bizarre by the rest of the world. At least, not at that time.
My Dad never mentioned religion .. not once ... My grandfather (his Dad) said "You know you are Catholic when it's time to stone the Prods"

Mom sent us to a "United Church" ... frankly I don;t know what that means.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
I was raised in a house full of books. I was taught that some books are fact and some are fiction, and that it was important to understand the difference. That books that are fact can have errors, and that books that are fiction can express ideas that are true. I was taught to never assume that what one book said was true, to always check several different sources, and to find out for myself.

I was also taught that people are much like books in those respects.

Thanks Mom.
Bravo!

Now you are talking abut how *I* raised my kids
Old 14th September 2018, 05:05 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My Dad never mentioned religion .. not once ... My grandfather (his Dad) said "You know you are Catholic when it's time to stone the Prods"

Mom sent us to a "United Church" ... frankly I don;t know what that means.
United Church of Canada

Was Grandad Irish or anything like that?
Old 14th September 2018, 05:17 PM   #26
Hans
Philosopher

Mother was Methodist my father Southern Baptist; neither were particularly religious but both had a grudging acceptance that their MIGHT be a God. Was sent to Sunday school a few times until I opted out.

Grew up in Hawaii so around lots of Shinto, Buddhists, Catholics, LDS and other mixes. I liked the Shinto folks the best - kinda cool.

Originally agnostic until I studied religion in depth in my mid-20's. Atheist now but I get along well with other religious folks. My wife is a very lapsed Catholic.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 05:46 PM   #27
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
Was raised without any religious or any paranormal/irrational beliefs other than “Santa is real”, and that only lasted for a few hours before my older brother eagerly told me the truth and showed me where the presents from our parents were hidden. I’ve never adopted any religious or other paranormal/irrational beliefs on my own account. So I was raised only with normal/rational beliefs.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 06:43 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Stuff I wasn't necessarily raised to believe in, but which my raising resulted in anyway:
Reading
Science
Rationality

Stuff I was definitely NOT raised to believe in, but which my raising resulted in anyway:
Atheism. Probably the result of the three above.
Old 14th September 2018, 06:48 PM   #29
fromdownunder
Philosopher

He was.

How many wickets did he take?

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 07:01 PM   #30
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

I'm from Czech Republic, born in 1975. At home I was taught nothing special.
But at school I was raised to believe communism is the way to go, and I believed it. My mom never said anything, fearing it could cause trouble .. until I was like 14. Uncle was on visit, and he was listening to Voice of America radio transmitting from Germany.

I was shocked such thing existed. That there are people opposing the regime. That it's all a lie.

At that time I was applying to high school, and my mom was told that since neither of my parents are in the party, I won't be allowed to go for university. She was recommended to choose some practical high school for me .. and she was mad, and we had a long talk. Mostly about 1968 Soviet invasion to Czech Republic. My mom was 15 at the time, and she lived in big city, where there were mass demonstrations, even few dead, and after the invasion the regime got lot stricter. Of course in the school you learned exactly nothing about that.

Also it was 1989, the regime was crumbling, and soon it was over. But for the one last year I was the conspirator. I knew. Most of my friends from school still didn't know, and were quite confused when the regime really fell.

Even later I learned from my grandfather, that my mom being warned about the college was a bit more complicated story. My grandfather was working as civil engineer, highway construction mostly. He was like a middle boss, pretty good job. Once there was this young engineer, just out of the college. But he wanted to become a priest .. in Czech Republic, in sixties ! And his mom was hard-case high-level communist.
They had a fight and he run way from home. My grandfather found him a bed in the facility for construction workers, and helped him in some other small ways. Guy's mom learned about it, and took it personal. Her vendetta couldn't get him jailed, but he lost his job. He couldn't do anything as important, and well paid. He later could find job via his friend as pub keeper (all pubs were run by state company, of course). He couldn't choose where is he going to work though, and had to move several times large distances, small pubs in small villages. And the stain was big enough to even affect my life many years later.

On the other hand .. him being pub keeper in the small village allowed my mom, helping him over the summer, to meet one local guy .. my dad. So without the hardcase communist lady who didn't want his son to become priest .. I wouldn't be here. Ain't that funny ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 07:36 PM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Catholicism, heterosexuality, and that cough medicine works by "coating your throat" so you shouldn't drink any fluids after taking cough medicine or it would be rendered worthless. Rejected the first two things by age 14, but it took embarrassingly long before someone explained to me that's not how cough medicine works. I think I was 37.
Old 14th September 2018, 11:07 PM   #32
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
What sort of gormless response is that?

Raising your kids to think rationally is one of the most important things you can do as a parent. I don't know a person who would disagree with the sentiment that you rolled those stupid eyes at.
Old 14th September 2018, 11:12 PM   #33
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
How many wickets did he take?
A handful in Tests, a few more in Shield cricket. I believe he may have bowled a large number of overs when England made 903-7 (I think it was), when Len Hutton got 364, which wouldn't have helped his career stats.
Old 14th September 2018, 11:28 PM   #34
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Catholic. Was an altar boy, went to catholic schools with priests and nuns among my relatives. Lasted until I was about 12.

All of my children were raised without religion.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 14th September 2018 at 11:30 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 05:14 AM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I was raised Catholic, was an altar boy. I was supposed to be a priest as a third son (twin actually but born second). Bought into the whole stupid, self-loathing, obey the church nonsense. About when I was 12 I started seeing it all for what it was. My parents just gave up and let me stay home on Sundays by the time I was 15 but I still went to Catholic high school.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 05:59 AM   #36
kayle
Thinker

1975 here as well. a USSR republic.
practically no religion in the family. one grandmother was Polish (ie catholic), but she never imposed/mentioned anything.
instead of Santa we had Father Frost and his female assistant Snowwhite. I don't remember but I must have had discovered they are fake somehow because at the age of 5 or 6 I was Father Frost/Santa myself at the family event.
School - materialism of course. Marxism and Leninism.
Homeopathy was, strangely, around. in some strange semi-approved way. I thought it was herbs. and thought so for a long time. astrology was passed around (in hand-written notebooks); dowsing for bad underground water junctions was practiced by quite many (going around a flat and 'finding' them with a gold ring attached to a string; if found you moved your bed to another spot...). of course there were old wise women (can't help but post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VByDD_zZbXM), who were healers and psychics. Did I believe? i don't really know/remember , I was under 15.
Just before and after 1990, all the woos started flowing in. massively. I was hit a bit by that. well, UFOs at least.
later I was not much bothered. then, about at the age of 30, I started bcoming active skeptis (thanks the web)
kayle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 06:05 AM   #37
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Like Craig, I was raised Catholic. This was during the 50s and early 60s. When we started attending Catholic school, it was pretty much non-stop indoctrination. We went to mass daily, and the mass was in Latin... So for some time I had not the slightest clue what was going on.

Only later in the first year of school did they begin to explain what all that kneeling and standing up and reciting odd words was all about.

I pretty much bought all this through high school. Hell, I was never exposed to anything else.

As far as the Catholics were concerned, there were no other religions. And we lived in a thoroughly German-Catholic working class neighborhood then.

It wasn’t that I didn’t have doubts..... I remember when we youngters were pressing one of the priests on the Trinity, and he retreated to “It’s a mystery of faith. You have to believe it even if you don’t understand it.”
Even as a kid that didn’t sit well.

I always joke that it was sex that started to turn me away from Catholicism. We had one of the very first sex-education classes in the state, long about 1962. I had already discovered the joys of “self-abuse” for myself, and was indulging regularly.
The nice priest explained that this activity was called masturbation....And that it was a mortal sin. Annoying!
I never had a “crisis of faith”... I just lost interest.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 07:20 AM   #38
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I was sent to stand in the hallway several times, she literally LIED and told EVERYONE men had one less rib than women ... when I showed the schools biology book showing equal ribs .. i was banned to the hall way
I don’t recall being told that explicitly, but I think I believed it for some time, and was surprised when I realised it wasn’t true.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 09:43 AM   #39
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Raising your kids to think rationally is one of the most important things you can do as a parent. I don't know a person who would disagree with the sentiment that you rolled those stupid eyes at.
A troll baiting one. Just report it to be moved to AAH where it belongs.

On Topic: My parents raised me to critically seak out answers. My dad took me to the library a lot and answered a lot of my question with "Let's find out".

Said the robot gleefully as he went on his rampage.

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 15th September 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2018, 12:12 PM   #40
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Really? "I was raised with only normal/rational beliefs."

"My beliefs are normal rational, you other people have unnormal irrational beliefs."

I was raised to use logic.

-M. Avenatti
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy