ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:00 PM   #1
winter salt
Thinker

Philosophy in you tube?

I've been trying to find a good listening source for philosophy. Like a beginner course. I tried "wireless philosophy" you tube channel. Right off the bat I felt like the short instructive videos were apologetics for faith and reading a few comments confirmed my feeling.
I do quite a bit of driving day time. A good listening source would support my night time reading.
I'll appreciate any recommendation.

Last edited by winter salt; 25th September 2018 at 08:02 PM.
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 08:02 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

When it comes to philosophy I'd rather go with podcasts.
Not that I'm suggesting that Philosophers have such poor grooming that it disqualifies them from appearing on video....
Old 25th September 2018, 09:22 PM   #3
BowlOfRed
Graduate Poster

There's the CrashCourse on Philosophy on YouTube. I haven't watched it, but some of the other ones on crashcourse have seemed not terrible. I was enjoying some of the statistics one (having forgotten darn near most of anything I picked up in college).
BowlOfRed is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 09:29 PM   #4
Rougarou
Thinker

YouTuber Rocky C posts audiobook chapters from Will Durant's "The Story of Philosophy" and other works.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWy...wejjLlgZYeJ1-w
Rougarou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2018, 11:10 PM   #5
Lambchops
Muse

- Click on any random youtube video.

- Read the comments.

And there you have the philosophy of nihilism.
Old 26th September 2018, 03:00 AM   #6
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The best online philosophy course I've done is a filmed semester of a Yale University degree course presented by Professor Shelly Kagan. It's videos, but it's mostly him sitting cross legged on his desk talking to his students and answering their questions, so you won't miss much if you just listen. It's over 20 lectures, each about 45 minutes long.

You'll find the first one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2J7wSuFRl8

The course is called Death, but don't let that put you off.
Old 26th September 2018, 03:16 AM   #7
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

You could try BBC's "In Our Time" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01...odes/downloads

45 minutes podcasts.
Old 26th September 2018, 08:08 AM   #8
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
There's the CrashCourse on Philosophy on YouTube.
This was going to be my recommendation. Here's the playlist. I would advise limiting yourself to one episode a day, so you can give yourself time to process and reflect upon what you learned.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 08:11 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

2nding/3rding Crash Course (and not just for philosophy)

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2018, 11:18 PM   #10
winter salt
Thinker

Great info.
Plenty to listen to.
Thank you all.
winter salt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy