IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #1041
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
As I keep trying to get people to understand that Republicans are not unaware of their hypocrisy. It is not something they blundered into.

Their hypocrisy is intentional, a well thought part of their overall troll personas at this point.
Absolutely. Their openly displayed hypocrisy has become their modus operandi.
Not sure if it is actually a prearranged strategy or just improvisation as they go along. But the approach is probably something like this:
Look, we are so damn brazen, we don't have to fool around like lame dems. No, we are badass hypocrits - and proud of it!
It's kind of a strength, that surely has some appeal to a specific kind of voters.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #1042
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Not sure if it is actually a prearranged strategy or just improvisation as they go along. But the approach is probably something like this:
Look, we are so damn brazen, we don't have to fool around like lame dems. No, we are badass hypocrits - and proud of it!
It's kind of a strength, that surely has some appeal to a specific kind of voters.
Well that's all it is.

We can scream and tear at our shirts and wail and gnash our teeth about the Republicans being hypocrites all we want about how Mitch McConnell ran his Supreme Court Justice through at the 11th Hour while refusing to do the same for the Democratic Nominee in '16 but at the end of the day all the means is McConnell got his nominee and we didn't get ours so who's really playing the game better here?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #1043
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
You're going to get terrible odds on that - because it appears to be about 50/50.

Which says that around 37,000,000 or your fellow Americans are ignorant and repugnant conspiracy-believing morons.
(Shrug) Ok, whatever the number, the point is that Jordan is not serving those people well when he insists on telling them what they want to hear, instead of what they need to; and he's not serving unity at all by keeping them separated from the Democrats and the moderates in their own party by supporting the lies.
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The Republicans need to keep being reminded that a wound can't heal whilst the knife is still in it.

When, and only when, every Republican member of Congress has publicly acknowledged that Biden is the legitimately elected POTUS can they start talking about moving on.
Yep. These particular Republicans are insisting on "unity" strictly on their own terms. Unity requires compromise, which requires movement from both sides. These guys think they can demand a price without giving anything of value in return; by your analogy, they want Democrats to ignore the wound the GOP extremists inflicted, and pretend the knife in it is ok because it stops most of the bleeding. (And this is not to even mention that the only thing Democrats want, after all, is for them to acknowledge a reality- not just the half-reality that Biden will be President, but that he is rightfully so)

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; Yesterday at 09:05 AM. Reason: emphasis
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #1044
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Hate to break the news (unless already ninja'd): Rudy Giuliani now says he won’t [be] on the Trump impeachment defense team. “Because I gave an earlier speech [at the January 6 Trump rally], I am a witness and therefore unable to participate in court or Senate chamber,”

He told this to ABC's WH correspondent Jonathan Karl.

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1351020777261424640
Witness, co-conspirator, what's the difference?
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #1045
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
They are legal terms so good odds he won’t know what they are!
Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM   #1046
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not even sure it matters in an impeachment. It's not a trial. Evidence and witnesses are not required. It would be interesting to ask Rudy what he meant by "trial by combat," if the Senate decides to call witnesses.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #1047
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It would be interesting to ask Rudy what he meant by "trial by combat," if the Senate decides to call witnesses.
Oh, he explained:
Quote:
I was referencing the kind of trial that took place for Tyrion in that very famous documentary about fictitious medieval England. When Tyrion, who is a very small man, is accused of murder. He didn't commit murder, he can't defend himself, and he hires a champion to defend him.
Yes, he called Game of Thrones a documentary, sort of. There's more, but it doesn't get any better.

Does anyone else get a 'Grandpa Simpson' vibe from Rudy?
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #1048
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I just talked to a Norwegian trumpkin (yes, they do exist, as an small, but extremely vocal minority) on Facebook. He asked where Trump incited violence. I showed him. He refused to agree any of Trump's January 6th speech was incitement.

I asked him what Trump would have to do for him to agree it was incitement of violence.
He said Trump would need to straight out say he wanted his mob to storm the Capitol.

Then he refused to acknowledge it was a coup because "you can't stage a coup against yourself".

I swear their postings have been getting even more insufferable latelly.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #1049
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Oh, he explained:
Quote:
I was referencing the kind of trial that took place for Tyrion in that very famous documentary about fictitious medieval England. When Tyrion, who is a very small man, is accused of murder. He didn't commit murder, he can't defend himself, and he hires a champion to defend him.
Oh yes, obviously. How silly we've all been. What else could he have meant.

Just like when a mobster tells a shopowner that "it's a nice corner store you've got there, it'd be a shame if something happened to it", he's just quoting that old mafia documentary he once watched. Nothing to worry about.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #1050
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Oh yes, obviously. How silly we've all been. What else could he have meant.

Just like when a mobster tells a shopowner that "it's a nice corner store you've got there, it'd be a shame if something happened to it", he's just quoting that old mafia documentary he once watched. Nothing to worry about.
No, no, no. The quote from the mafia documentary is, "How many fingers am I holding up?" You know, the mafia documentary about fictitious ancient New Jersey where the machines trick the plaintiffs with landscaping vehicles.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #1051
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well that's all it is.

We can scream and tear at our shirts and wail and gnash our teeth about the Republicans being hypocrites all we want about how Mitch McConnell ran his Supreme Court Justice through at the 11th Hour while refusing to do the same for the Democratic Nominee in '16 but at the end of the day all the means is McConnell got his nominee and we didn't get ours so who's really playing the game better here?
Well, the problem is: This is not a game. We have a reality to deal with, and playing games won't do it, no matter how good some are at it.

Hans
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #1052
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Inciting does not mean an act has to occur. These Judges are elected for a lifetime, they underwent personal scrutiny by Congress, the comments were made while SCOTUS was conducting business... what could Schumer mean by his comments?
Obviously not what you think he meant.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #1053
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Witless co-conspirator, what's the difference?
FIFY
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #1054
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Inciting does not mean an act has to occur. These Judges are elected for a lifetime, they underwent personal scrutiny by Congress, the comments were made while SCOTUS was conducting business... what could Schumer mean by his comments?
Many possibilities, one of which (and which might be considered reasonable by many) is the simple fact that Scotus was embarking on a course or stepping on to a slippery slope that would eventually lead to far worse consequences and that would end up biting them in the ass. Whenever you make a bad judgment, it affects not only the case at hand but all judgments for which it might constitute a precedent. I always presumed Schumer's comment, though it might have been put better, meant essentially "You're doing a stupid thing and you'll be sorry."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #1055
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Hate to break the news (unless already ninja'd): Rudy Giuliani now says he won’t [be] on the Trump impeachment defense team. “Because I gave an earlier speech [at the January 6 Trump rally], I am a witness co-defendant and therefore unable to participate in court or Senate chamber,”

He told this to ABC's WH correspondent Jonathan Karl.

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1351020777261424640
Fixed that for him.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #1056
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
<snip>

Finally, finally, fina - ******* - ly, Twitter has pulled the plug on him and now it seems he might actually lose his power, because the media who kept reporting his every outrageous tweet that they could not possibly ignore have been deprived of their crack supply and suddenly Trump disappears.
Twitter threw Trump out like a dog. SAD!

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #1057
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Fixed that for him.
Ah, ninja-ed.

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #1058
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I just talked to a Norwegian trumpkin (yes, they do exist, as an small, but extremely vocal minority) on Facebook. He asked where Trump incited violence. I showed him. He refused to agree any of Trump's January 6th speech was incitement.

I asked him what Trump would have to do for him to agree it was incitement of violence.
He said Trump would need to straight out say he wanted his mob to storm the Capitol.

Then he refused to acknowledge it was a coup because "you can't stage a coup against yourself".

I swear their postings have been getting even more insufferable latelly.
Tell him the Insurrection referred to in the Impeachment is as an Act against the United States of America, not the President, who is merely its incumbent figurehead. It is the constitution that is being violated and overturned not the President.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #1059
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Marjorie Taylor Greene has promised to introduce impeachment articles against Biden on January 20. That's where the unity and healing begins.
She's in for an education how a bill you want to pass goes through a bunch of steps before it's even, if ever, brought to the floor for debate. That is if she's even managed to get a legible bill drawn up.
Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM   #1060
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
It's like the phrase "deficits don't matter" that more than a few Republicans are noted to have said: "hypocrisy doesn't matter". That's how the thinking goes.

Of course hypocrisy and deficits do matter when you are attacking your opponents with that club.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #1061
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
She's in for an education how a bill you want to pass goes through a bunch of steps before it's even, if ever, brought to the floor for debate. That is if she's even managed to get a legible bill drawn up.
From what I've seen of her, she isn't the one that seems most likely to be a master of parliamentary procedure.

Should be good for some entertainment when they do occasionally let her speak.
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #1062
metacristi
Muse

DO YOU HAVE A GODDAMN POINT YOU PLAN ON GETTING TO?

A totally unrelated, unhinged, poorly formatted, stream of consciousness rant of Alt-Right 101 cliches about "progressives" isn't the response a sane person has to the President launching a coup.

It's rather a problem of intellectual 'illiteracy' from your part I'd say (and others for that matter). And not ultimately a clear incapacity to respect different opinions. You don't get that the problem is much bigger than Trump do you? Trump won the election in large part because he was seen by many as the best existing solution to the excesses of 'progressivism' not because he is a moral or intellectual light of some sort. Where are you living, there is a cultural war raging wildly for about 30 years now (mainly fuelled by the 'progressives' , who by the way claim total victory lately).

Even if Trump disappears via the tactics used by the Democrats, massively penetrated by 'progressivism', the rift in the American society will be still there, with other Trump like politicians ready to take over anyways. Trumpism is not exactly your main danger. But there will be also a dangerous precedent, very likely to invite massive 'progressive' interference with free speech (upon the model we saw in the last 30 years, much less can be openly said these days, even if legitimate) which could make basically anyone, no matter how rational, a target in the future (even the First Amendment will be less and less effective in defending free speech). In the end it's way less about Trump as it is about free speech, already severely weakened in the last decades.

In my view the Democrats lost a good opportunity at least to try to marginalize Trump in the eyes of his electoral base via more realistic accusations (showing for example how he is rather against democracy, without 'insurrection' and other radical accusations) ; something which to not make him appear from the beginning as a victim of the 'progressive' thought and without creating a dangerous precedent in what free speech is concerned.

If I were to be rhetorical I could easily use your kind of phraseology (you have little else I'm afraid), I could easily say for example that maybe you need to leave behind the extreme-Left ideology you expose (at least at the unconscious level) to understand what I say. I don't do it because i get your ultimate point, I just don't find it the best solution in the existing situation.

ibn Warraq - Why I am not a Muslim

Knight Tube: Brendan O'Neill on identity politics

Last edited by metacristi; Today at 09:32 AM.
metacristi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #1063
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by metacristi View Post
... 'illiteracy' ... 'progressivism' ... 'progressives' ...

... 'progressivism'... 'progressive'

... 'insurrection' ... 'progressive'...

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #1064
rdaneel
Illuminator

Mitch McConnell opened the Senate today with speech that included this statement:

Quote:
The mob was fed lies, they were provoked by the President and other powerful people.
An unequivocal statement from McConnell that hopefully indicates that Senate Republicans are going to take this seriously.

Edited to Add: Almost forgot to post the video

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by rdaneel; Today at 01:34 PM.
rdaneel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:35 PM   #1065
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Such a line would be a crossing the Rubicon, die is cast, pick your metaphor moment... in the old days.

But we're in a post fact world where McConnell very well could just go "Nope, never said that" in 2 days and 90% of his followers would believe it.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:43 PM   #1066
rdaneel
Illuminator

Such a line would be a crossing the Rubicon, die is cast, pick your metaphor moment... in the old days.

But we're in a post fact world where McConnell very well could just go "Nope, never said that" in 2 days and 90% of his followers would believe it.
I'm going to stay optimistic and hope that, having plenty of time to consider his words for this speech, he wouldn't have said them if he wasn't going to back them up.
rdaneel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #1067
dirtywick
Master Poster

i think mcconnell is leaning pretty hard into impeaching. it makes the most sense for him to do so also. trump is perhaps the biggest threat the GOP faces
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #1068
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
i think mcconnell is leaning pretty hard into impeaching. it makes the most sense for him to do so also. trump is perhaps the biggest threat the GOP faces
I think (hope) he knows that Trump and the GOP as separate... errr brands have no chance against the DNC. I just remain skeptical.

I hope the Democrats are aware of the same problem. Neither the Centrists nor the Progressives are big enough to counter the GOP on their own.
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #1069
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I can definitely think of some ways for McConnell to talk his way out of actually doing anything without reversing himself.

he didn't call an emergency meeting of the Senate, which he could have if he actually wanted to get Trump out. I could easily see him spinning up some BS reason that impeachment after Trump is out of office as being improper or whatever. This allows him to talk a big game, but not actually do anything.

Then again, maybe McConnell doesn't want to have to deal with a spiteful Trump in the 2024 primary. An impeachment with a bar on public office would put a bow on it. Sure, there would be blowback, but if he does it soon he has 4 years to let that die down.
Old Today, 02:10 PM   #1070
No Other
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Obviously not what you think he meant.
Can you enlighten me and tell me what I thought?
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics