IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , partskeptic

Reply
Old 11th August 2020, 02:35 PM   #2241
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 27,739
I don't get along too well with complexity, I guess, and no doubt there are more efficiently scientifc ways of going about things, but I would surmise that if (and it's a big big if indeed!) one wished to evaluate things honestly, it might be possible to do the test in more than one stage, and without such elaboration as seems to be contemplated here.

For example, one could do a blind test without any consideration of what the modem is doing, and how much output it is putting out. Just do the test. If headaches occur in a pattern that does not correspond with on times for the modem, it does not matter what the modem is capable of, because you're getting headaches with it off. If headaches occur that correspond with modem on times, or if no headaches occur at all, it may or may not matter what the modem is capable of. Further, more precise testing would be warranted then. But the first possibility would be fairly definitive. If headaches occur when the modem is off, or if they stop while the modem is on, then you have convincing evidence that the modem is not causing them.

The test would have to be done honestly, of course, but if the test is truly blind and if both parties to the test keep honest records of time, it would be a useful first step.

Why is this so hard to do?
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 03:56 PM   #2242
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,543
Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Note the interesting phrasing;

I worked there. We had good equipment.

Two separate sentences. No statement that he has actually used them, or even that he knows how to use them, just an indignant, "Why do you snidely infer I am incapable of using one?".
Note also,
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power when I was a student.
So (the rule of) PS really only did some work experience as part of the courses he never attended.
Students doing work experience generally got stuck with filing or photocopying back in the day.

Perhaps Joburg City Power had really good photocopying equipment?
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 11th August 2020 at 03:57 PM. Reason: [quoting
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 04:29 PM   #2243
Matthew Ellard
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power........
teehee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Never Ending Story.jpg (82.3 KB, 3 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:17 PM   #2244
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Note the interesting phrasing;

I worked there. We had good equipment.

Two separate sentences. No statement that he has actually used them, or even that he knows how to use them, just an indignant, "Why do you snidely infer I am incapable of using one?".
Note also,
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I worked in the radio and research department at Joburg City Power when I was a student.
So (the rule of) PS really only did some work experience as part of the courses he never attended.
Students doing work experience generally got stuck with filing or photocopying back in the day.

Perhaps Joburg City Power had really good photocopying equipment?
These are the details that call PartSkeptic's account into question. I funded my way through uni by working as a kitchen porter. (not a fun job). Occasionally, I was pressed into duty as a silver service waitron. And I had no clue what I was doing. They just chucked a purple waistcoat on me and sent me forth. Sink or swim was the order of the day.

Nothing wrong with that per se, one does what one must to make ends meet. The problem here is that PS thinks such pointless anecdotes lend him credibility.

We have all been there in some way, shape or form as we got to where wherever we are at now. PS thinks that this means he is an expert on whatever.

This would be akin to me claiming to be a gourmet genius chef by dint of washing the pots and pans. That is an absurd notion.

At best, PS was merely told what it was and instructed not to touch it as he earned a few quick bucks.

How do I know? Well in the ensuing decades, I have hired and fired hundreds. I know for a fact that one does not allow a spotty teenager to drive a screw, or a forklift, or anything that matters let alone a spectrum analyser. Not happening under my watch.

This mad claim just gets added to the Abe Simpson heap of anecdotes. Likely with an onion tied to the belt as was the style at the time.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:29 PM   #2245
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,543
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
These are the details that call PartSkeptic's account into question. I funded my way through uni by working as a kitchen porter. (not a fun job). Occasionally, I was pressed into duty as a silver service waitron. And I had no clue what I was doing. They just chucked a purple waistcoat on me and sent me forth. Sink or swim was the order of the day.

Nothing wrong with that per se, one does what one must to make ends meet. The problem here is that PS thinks such pointless anecdotes lend him credibility.

We have all been there in some way, shape or form as we got to where wherever we are at now. PS thinks that this means he is an expert on whatever.

This would be akin to me claiming to be a gourmet genius chef by dint of washing the pots and pans. That is an absurd notion.

At best, PS was merely told what it was and instructed not to touch it as he earned a few quick bucks.

How do I know? Well in the ensuing decades, I have hired and fired hundreds. I know for a fact that one does not allow a spotty teenager to drive a screw, or a forklift, or anything that matters let alone a spectrum analyser. Not happening under my watch.

This mad claim just gets added to the Abe Simpson heap of anecdotes. Likely with an onion tied to the belt as was the style at the time.
The other odd thing is that City Power Johannesburg was founded/incorporated in 2000 and licensed to trade only by 21 Dec 2001.

By my reckoning I’m 10 years younger than PS, yet finished my Engineering degree time at University in 1985.

Perhaps he was a mature-aged student.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 11th August 2020 at 09:33 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 09:46 PM   #2246
Matthew Ellard
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
By my reckoning I’m 10 years younger than PS, yet finished my Engineering degree time at University in 1985.
Partskeptic said he was "25 in 1975" and thus born in 1960.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:03 PM   #2247
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
The other odd thing is that City Power Johannesburg was founded/incorporated in 2000 and licensed to trade only by 21 Dec 2001.

By my reckoning I’m 10 years younger than PS, yet finished my Engineering degree time at University in 1985.

Perhaps he was a mature-aged student.
Everyone's journey is different. I completed my degree in 1992 because I thought I knew it all, and wandered of into the school of life. That school taught me that I certainly did not know it all. Back to school for me after three lost years thinking I knew better than everyone else. Such is the arrogance of callow youth. To this day, I regret those lost years spent in the idiotic delusion that I was smarter than everyone else.

Lesson learned the hard way, I guess.

Scroll forward a generation, and my eldest is just starting to learn that hard lesson.

Let him learn it the hard way. I need to step back and watch it happen. Painful as it is. I cannot teach him, he has to discover it all of his lonesome. Else the lesson is worthless.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:32 PM   #2248
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Partskeptic said he was "25 in 1975" and thus born in 1960.
So 60+ thereabouts. Not really a problem, is it?

It is more subtle.

I watched my own long dead father decline over time. It is a cruel thing. The decision to place him in a nursing home was really distressing.

The turning point was when I rocked in and found him on the floor. And then my sis rocked in with his prescription.

He insisted that he was "safe" to live alone while lying on the floor.

After some argument, we simply said "if you can climb off the floor, then you have a point to make".

He lust lay on the floor unable to even stand up. And claimed that he could if he wanted to.

But he preferred to be prostrate on the concrete floor because it was somehow better. Than something unidentified.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:44 PM   #2249
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,010
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Partskeptic said he was "25 in 1975" and thus born in 1960.
Um, 1975 minus 25 is 1950.

His profile gives his age as 71.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 10:47 PM   #2250
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Um, 1975 minus 25 is 1950.

His profile gives his age as 71.
You think any PS claim is remotely reliable?


Good luck with that.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:47 PM   #2251
Matthew Ellard
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Um, 1975 minus 25 is 1950.
Whoops

Let me double check what I remembered reading.....

"When I was about 25 in 1975, I unknowingly ate a marijuana cookie at a party. I hallucinated for the rest of the evening. The universe vanished and I joined the singular cosmic intelligence."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=467

Last edited by Matthew Ellard; 11th August 2020 at 11:52 PM. Reason: check original quote again
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2020, 11:56 PM   #2252
Matthew Ellard
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Whoops

Let me double check what I remembered reading.....

"When I was about 25 in 1975, I unknowingly ate a marijuana cookie at a party. I hallucinated for the rest of the evening. The universe vanished and I joined the singular cosmic intelligence."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=467
OK. That means, at the youngest, he was a 51 year old student at Joburg Power.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 01:26 AM   #2253
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,906
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
OK. That means, at the youngest, he was a 51 year old student at Joburg Power.
Quite clearly, the Telcos have hacked his ISF account, changed his personal information and altered some of his posts to make it look like this is another of his suspect anecdotes.
No other explanation.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 02:19 AM   #2254
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,543
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
OK. That means, at the youngest, he was a 51 year old student at Joburg Power.
I’m bloody psychic me.
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
....Perhaps he was a mature-aged student.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 07:24 AM   #2255
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,460
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Partskeptic said he was "25 in 1975" and thus born in 1960.
Of course. You don't seem to realize that he, being utterly brilliant, created his own calendar. It uses a truncated Lunar Calendar with Tuesday and Thursday removed as those days make him nauseous, additionally he didn't like the traditional 24 hour day so he removed the '4' because he doesn't like 4 and so it became just twenty-hours. With these and other modifications he removed ten fake and unnecessary years from calendar - which no one needed.

In a special innovation he has decided that starting in 2022 the years will start going backwards and he'll also announce that he's found a new number between 5 and 6.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 09:12 AM   #2256
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 27,739
While most of the above is true, I should, feeling a little usage-geeky this morning, point out that taken literally the above statement teeters on the edge of impermissibility. Certain days may indeed make PS feel nauseated. Whether they make him nauseous is a matter of individual opinion best left unspoken!

I, for example, am almost completely immune, thanks to my copper bracelet and a daily regimen of alla-bolla-zonga beans.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 10:08 AM   #2257
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,460
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
While most of the above is true, I should, feeling a little usage-geeky this morning, point out that taken literally the above statement teeters on the edge of impermissibility. Certain days may indeed make PS feel nauseated. Whether they make him nauseous is a matter of individual opinion best left unspoken!

I, for example, am almost completely immune, thanks to my copper bracelet and a daily regimen of alla-bolla-zonga beans.
NOTED! PICKY, Picky, picky picky

Thanks

Last edited by Hans; 12th August 2020 at 10:09 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2020, 04:49 PM   #2258
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,843
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
While most of the above is true, I should, feeling a little usage-geeky this morning, point out that taken literally the above statement teeters on the edge of impermissibility. Certain days may indeed make PS feel nauseated. Whether they make him nauseous is a matter of individual opinion best left unspoken!

I, for example, am almost completely immune, thanks to my copper bracelet and a daily regimen of alla-bolla-zonga beans.
Perhaps a testing protocol could be devised, but it will involve PS viewing a a video recording of the calender to determine if it's sufficiently Thursday to induce symptoms before recording his results.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 01:12 AM   #2259
Matthew Ellard
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
It is entertaining reading his earlier posts, in other threads, as it helps understand his scattergun method of getting "hits".

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic in 2016
Is 2016 the start of the big die-off? I think it might be. Is God involved? If he exists, he would have to be.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...50&postcount=1

Same thread
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic in 2019
Okay. Next question. Is 2019 the start of the Big Die-Off?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1&postcount=48
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 09:15 AM   #2260
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
It is entertaining reading his earlier posts, in other threads, as it helps understand his scattergun method of getting "hits".

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic in 2016
Is 2016 the start of the big die-off? I think it might be. Is God involved? If he exists, he would have to be.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...50&postcount=1

Same thread
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic in 2019
Okay. Next question. Is 2019 the start of the Big Die-Off?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1&postcount=48
See, that is one of the more disturbing aspects to all of this. It is not that he fears that it might happen. It is not that he can prophecy/predict it may happen. He actively wants to SEE it happen.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 13th August 2020 at 09:20 AM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 11:21 AM   #2261
bknight
Master Poster
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,359
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
See, that is one of the more disturbing aspects to all of this. It is not that he fears that it might happen. It is not that he can prophecy/predict it may happen. He actively wants to SEE it happen.
Tat may be true, but he should look at history. Die-offs may takes hundreds/thousands of years, changes will be subtle and unless he has a photographic mind he won't notice any difference in his lifetime. Of course there is always the cataclysmic event like a 6 mile asteroid crashing into the Earth, which speeds up the process.
It has been +/- 650 my so we might be due for another event(I'm not predicting or wishing, just indicating we have been struck in the past and we will be struck again by a monster it is only a question of when).
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 12:52 PM   #2262
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger
 
EvilBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
See, that is one of the more disturbing aspects to all of this. It is not that he fears that it might happen. It is not that he can prophecy/predict it may happen. He actively wants to SEE it happen.
It's pretty pointless wishing for an "I told you so" moment when either all the people you want to tell that to are dead, or you yourself are dead.

Oh, in the afterlife? Looking down on all the skeptics suffering in eternal damnation because they wouldn't believe you and were nasty to you?

Nah. You'd need an afterlife, some sort of heaven and hell setup, and the ability to think impure thoughts when part of the eternal cosmos strumming a harp and stuff.

I'll stick with pointless.
__________________
Flat Earth Theory:
The unfortunate result of ordering pizza to satisfy munchies after smoking way too much weed to bring you down from that hectic acid trip.
EvilBiker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 01:18 PM   #2263
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 33,768
Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
Nah. You'd need an afterlife, some sort of heaven and hell setup, and the ability to think impure thoughts when part of the eternal cosmos strumming a harp and stuff.

I’m hoping for more of a sort of après-vie.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2020, 02:37 PM   #2264
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by EvilBiker View Post
It's pretty pointless wishing for an "I told you so" moment when either all the people you want to tell that to are dead, or you yourself are dead.

Oh, in the afterlife? Looking down on all the skeptics suffering in eternal damnation because they wouldn't believe you and were nasty to you?

Nah. You'd need an afterlife, some sort of heaven and hell setup, and the ability to think impure thoughts when part of the eternal cosmos strumming a harp and stuff.

I'll stick with pointless.
And that just gets us into a whole new bucket of WTF? Will I be reunited with my hex-wife? I would rather chew razor blades. That would be worse than hell. There is a reason that we divorced. Well, many reasons. Being stuck with that loon would be a fate worse than death. And an eternity of singing "Hallelulah" to a total cockwomble of a god? No thanks.

This then leads believers to make wild claims about what "heaven" is really like on the basis of **** all and they always fail miserably.

Now, I have the advantage of having had the experience of the OOBE experience on the slab, complete with the traditional "light at the end of the tunnel" crapfest, so I know for a fact that the whole edifice of that nonsense is built out of bricks of BS.

If anything, it confirmed my atheism.

ETA: Apparently, I survived.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 13th August 2020 at 02:39 PM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 02:15 PM   #2265
p0lka
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: near trees, houses and a lake.
Posts: 2,205
Part Skeptic did retract their ability to detect wifi within 15 minutes to be fair.

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
The original claim was a simple 'if wifi, then headache', no mention of any other consideration at the time.

If PartSkeptic wishes to add things that were not in the original claim, then they need to retract that original claim and add a new claim, then that can be tested.
PartSkeptic replied with the following


Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
And God intervened with a serendipitous event to demonstrate that my "simple" test had a flaw. Having the flaw exposed no means that the power of the modem (and possibly the frequency) is a factor. This is not a paranormal experiment - and God was quite right to make me procrastinate in doing it.

So consider the original test retracted and the new one to be "if max power Wifi from modem, then headache in 15 minutes if within 1 meter."

The qualification is the the modem performs the same way each time. With similar frequency for example.
The real question should be, what is causing PartSkeptics symptoms when PartSkeptic acknowledges that it's only max power that gives the headache?

what is causing the symptoms the rest of the time?

Last edited by p0lka; 16th August 2020 at 02:18 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 04:49 PM   #2266
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,300
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Part Skeptic did retract their ability to detect wifi within 15 minutes to be fair.



PartSkeptic replied with the following



The real question should be, what is causing PartSkeptics symptoms when PartSkeptic acknowledges that it's only max power that gives the headache?

what is causing the symptoms the rest of the time?
Exactly why are we engaging in goalpost chasing? It's wifi, wifi only at hi power, it's 4G. It's 5G, its modem. It's not the modem. What the hell is the actual claim at this point?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 16th August 2020 at 04:52 PM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 03:32 AM   #2267
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,906
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Part Skeptic did retract their ability to detect wifi within 15 minutes to be fair.

The real question should be, what is causing PartSkeptics symptoms when PartSkeptic acknowledges that it's only max power that gives the headache?

what is causing the symptoms the rest of the time?
Well, this is the issue, From the very beginning, PS was insistent that his symptoms were caused by EMF, and no other explanation was remotely plausible.
Now he seems to have realised that he has effectively disproved his own conjecture, and is now looking for a way to prove that it really is the evil wi-fi's that give him headaches (plus, it must be added, an enormous number of other symptoms as well), so he can salvage some kind of credibility. At least in his own eyes, I guess.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 04:42 AM   #2268
RedStapler
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 839
Originally Posted by p0lka View Post


The real question should be, what is causing PartSkeptics symptoms when PartSkeptic acknowledges that it's only max power that gives the headache?

what is causing the symptoms the rest of the time?
The real question should be: Why would you believe the confused anecdotes from a guy living in SA, without any possibility of checking? Do you know he has headaches? No, you don't.

He could claim that aliens with "headache rays" are attacking him and nothing would change.

Last edited by RedStapler; 19th August 2020 at 04:43 AM.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 05:48 AM   #2269
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,010
Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
The real question should be: Why would you believe the confused anecdotes from a guy living in SA, without any possibility of checking? Do you know he has headaches? No, you don't.

He could claim that aliens with "headache rays" are attacking him and nothing would change.
Yes, it's possible that everything PartSkeptic has ever posted here is a lie. It's possible everything I've ever posted here is a lie. It's possible everything you've ever posted here is a lie. It's possible everything every forum member has ever posted here is a lie. But if you start by assuming that, then it's impossible to have any kind of discussion here at all. Why even read the forum, let alone join it and contribute to it, if that's your starting assumption?

My policy has always been to start by assuming that the people I'm conversing with here are posting in good faith, and only question that assumption when given good reason to do so. PartSkeptic has never given me such reason. However inconsistent, mistaken and even, occasionally, downright delusional what he posts may seem, he has always seemed to me to sincerely believe what he is saying.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 05:50 AM   #2270
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,010
It's a week since PartSkeptic last visited the forum, this was his last exchange:

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Because your approach to this is bollocks.
You are less than no help at all in our questioning what may be the the source of your discomforts.
Stop fighting us. Period. Period.
As an example... I'm distressed why I'm horribly congested (you get how fatalistic it can make one when one can't breathe) and a year in just this week I think it may come down to a lactose intolerance because I buy a bit of 2% milk maybe once every couple weeks.
You NEED to either go with our quick plan of... test dev; implementation; analasys... evaluation.
Or... Shut... The... ****... Up!
Choose.
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
Since you put it so well, I will chose. I shall shut up.
So it looks like Jim_MDP has given PartSkeptic the excuse he needed to run away. Maybe he has finally grasped the impossibility of the task he set himself when he agreed to do a proper blind test. I just wish I could entertain any hope at all that he'd learned something from his failure.

Oh well, at least I can stop hitting my head against this particular brick wall.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 07:20 AM   #2271
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 97,058
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's a week since PartSkeptic last visited the forum, this was his last exchange:





So it looks like Jim_MDP has given PartSkeptic the excuse he needed to run away. Maybe he has finally grasped the impossibility of the task he set himself when he agreed to do a proper blind test. I just wish I could entertain any hope at all that he'd learned something from his failure.

Oh well, at least I can stop hitting my head against this particular brick wall.
Many people do this and then seem to expect there to have been a magical "reset" when they return.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 08:42 AM   #2272
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,010
The really annoying thing is when he does return, I'll know I'll be unable to resist making yet another attempt to talk some sense into him.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 09:37 AM   #2273
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,136
The degree to which we have to accept PartSkeptic's anecdotes, or even to pay attention to them, is the degree to which he has based any cognizable argument on them. Some of them are just plain irrelevant. But he intends them in some cases to establish his authority as an experimenter. They are meant to create confidence in the reader that the investigation into the causes of his headaches, or the effects of electromagnetic field energy, is being conducted responsibly.

As Pixel42 so adroitly put it, that's irrelevant. Unverified anecdotes are not evidence of competence. And evidence of competence is not empirical data obtained under justified controls that render it evidence that tests a hypothesis. The overarching problem with PartSkeptic's argument is that it's a giant non sequitur as far as skeptics are concerned.

If the conclusion doesn't follow from the premise, then to what extent does it matter whether the premise is true? We can believe every word of PartSkeptic's anecdotes and still be disobliged to consider it evidence for a conclusion that can only be drawn on the basis of experiment. And a lawyer writing a persuasive brief will always argue the alternatives, because you never know how a judge will want to decide. The desired decision might be, "The proponent is not judged to be competent, so it doesn't matter what is alleged to follow from claims of competence." Or it might be, "The conclusion being drawn does not follow from the proffered premise, even if the premise were true." Both are correct reasoning.

But inasmuch as some of the anecdotes are patently false, and that he doubles down on them when challenged, ignoring the anecdotes altogether leaves us with the wrong impression that this is an good-faith debate with sound-minded participants. If PartSkeptic legitimately believes in the things he says which cannot be true, then there is something going on that we can't resolve in this venue. And yes, trying to talk sense into people who didn't reason themselves into the delusions they express is a losing battle every time.

Whether PartSkeptic's medical claim can be tested blindly with the resources at hand is still a viable, open question in my opinion. But what is evident to me is that the role he wants us to play in that exercise is not that of advisor. I believe he either wants us to accept his anecdotal findings -- his vague recollections of whether the wifi corresponds to his headaches -- or dismiss them in a way that he can consider inappropriate.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 11:58 AM   #2274
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
So it looks like Jim_MDP has given PartSkeptic the excuse he needed to run away. Maybe he has finally grasped the impossibility of the task he set himself when he agreed to do a proper blind test.
It's pretty clear to me that if he returns, the discussion is going to continue with him adding more and more confounding factors to the test until it becomes more and more unfeasible and it will never get done.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 05:04 PM   #2275
Matthew Ellard
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
The really annoying thing is when he does return, I'll know I'll be unable to resist making yet another attempt to talk some sense into him.
I think you, Jay and others did great work, that educated all of us a little bit more, as a side benefit. However, people have different thresholds and when Partskeptic was outright lying about Jews overwhelming pre-war Berlin and deserving what they got from the Nazis, it seemed reasonable that the majority of forum members would switch to attack mode.

There were other little hints in Partskeptic's posts that did suggest he was a full on racist.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 11:47 PM   #2276
PartSkeptic
Illuminator
 
PartSkeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Africa
Posts: 3,915
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It's a week since PartSkeptic last visited the forum, this was his last exchange:





So it looks like Jim_MDP has given PartSkeptic the excuse he needed to run away. Maybe he has finally grasped the impossibility of the task he set himself when he agreed to do a proper blind test. I just wish I could entertain any hope at all that he'd learned something from his failure.

Oh well, at least I can stop hitting my head against this particular brick wall.

You are astute enough to have figured out the trigger to why I no longer post. However, it is not because I doubt my claims or the impossibility. I am old-fashioned and draw the line at some one swearing at me.

BTW - I hope you did not get a headache from hitting your head.

The emf test is now a low priority. I will post when I do it and get a result. Success or fail. Otherwise, I see no point in any further exchanges.
__________________
**Agnostic theist. God/Satan/Angels/Demons may not exist - but I choose to think the probability is that they do. By personal experience.**
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 08:36 AM   #2277
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,677
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
You are astute enough to have figured out the trigger to why I no longer post. However, it is not because I doubt my claims or the impossibility. I am old-fashioned and draw the line at some one swearing at me.

BTW - I hope you did not get a headache from hitting your head.

The emf test is now a low priority. I will post when I do it and get a result. Success or fail. Otherwise, I see no point in any further exchanges.
If you're not going to post a detailed protocol of the tests that got you any particular results, then there's not much point in posting the results; you'll just be going round and round again with folks who will have no reason to believe anything you say because you haven't given them any.

If you're gonna flounce, just flounce already.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 08:45 AM   #2278
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,136
Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I am old-fashioned and draw the line at some one swearing at me.
The forum gives you the ability to avoid seeing posts from people who you believe are offensive to you. I would argue it gives you more credibility to avail yourself of that feature than to pretend to be offended every other day at how badly you think you're being treated. Especially when you've ignored so much substantive discussion instead.

Quote:
The emf test is now a low priority. I will post when I do it and get a result. Success or fail.
Toward what purpose? We aren't interested so much in the result as in how the result is obtained. If all you plan to do is announce the result of your testing, what do you expect the response of the skeptical audience to be? What I expect is that posting the findings and describing the protocol ex post facto, if at all, is only going to increase the sense of controversy here. Do you have another end in mind? And if so, what is it and how do you propose to achieve it?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 09:05 AM   #2279
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,677
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
It's pretty clear to me that if he returns, the discussion is going to continue with him adding more and more confounding factors to the test until it becomes more and more unfeasible and it will never get done.
Kind of reminds me of Michel H and his interminable "telepathy tests." The claim was simple enough, and the test designed around the claim, at least in principle, seemed sound enough. But it wasn't bad enough that he had no way to control for people who simply guessed the correct answer (out of four) instead of "receiving" it; he then had to invent "credibility ratings," based on such things as a respondent's internet name or the tone with which they answered, so he could discard answers that didn't help his thesis.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 09:58 AM   #2280
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19,136
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Kind of reminds me of Michel H and his interminable "telepathy tests."
And also the claim that his methodology must be correct because he was so very intelligent, or some such nonsense. Didn't he also claim to have done very well academically?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.