IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 17th January 2021, 06:22 PM   #401
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
MO House convenes.

MO House votes against masks and social distancing.

MO House cancels upcoming week's schedule because too many members have COVID.
Sounds like something from Onion.
Old 17th January 2021, 06:48 PM   #402
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:19 PM   #403
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:46 AM   #404
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
That's a big fall in new cases + deaths.

Must be an inauguration coming up.
Old 19th January 2021, 04:55 AM   #405
bam
Scholar

Or a holiday weekend with reduced reporting
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:55 AM   #406
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bam View Post
Maybe something newsworthy has kept people home glued to their TVs for a while.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:26 AM   #407
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post

That damn deep state again.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:35 AM   #408
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Quote:
Or just regular statistical noise.

Or maybe its an expected fall, since now that the holidays and the election are over, people are interacting less.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:52 PM   #409
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 20th January 2021, 06:56 PM   #410
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 21st January 2021, 01:55 AM   #411
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Originally Posted by bam View Post
It's the same in all countries. The people whose job it is to file the death certificates and report to central authorities mostly don't work saturdays and sundays, I think. It is best to use a seven-day rolling average, or perhaps just a weekly tally.
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:44 AM   #412
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

One reason for the declining numbers is we're three weeks into 2021 and the incubation period for people who contracted the virus during the holiday season is past. A prime example is the recent decline of new cases in California. This is from the CBS News affiliate in San Francisco:
Quote:
California is beginning to see a flattening in COVID data, including hospitalization rates, positivity rates and the rate of transmission, according to the state’s top health officials. During his weekly news conference, Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said both hospitalization rates and ICU rates have decreased over the last two weeks, and noted the state’s 7-day testing positivity rate (9.9%) is now lower than the 14-day average positivity rate (11.6%).

Dr. Ghaly also pointed to the R-effective rate, which is the measure of COVID transmission from one patient to the next. Anything above 1.0 means COVID is spreading, below 1.0 signifies the number of infected persons is decreasing. As of Tuesday, California is reporting an R-effective rate of 0.95. “The most important detail to take is that we are below one. That supports what we are seeing in the case rates; that we are starting to see a decline. Of course we want to see this as low as possible, as far below one as we can get,” said Ghaly. “But the good news is we are in a posture where the spread of COVID is not growing in the state but decreasing, just a little more slowly than we would like.” Ghaly credited interventions such as the regional stay-at-home order and hospital surge order, as well as individual efforts to avoid gatherings and wear masks in stopping the surge. CBS News
The chart below shows California's numbers beginning to decline. But it also illustrates the really huge surge that began in mid-November and peaked over the three weeks between Christmas and the second week of January. Some three million cases have been reported in California, over 7% of the state's population. Sadly, I recall a resident posting here back in April that California would be able -- or should be able -- to avoid most preventive measures because the warm sunny weather the state has meant the virus wouldn't really take hold there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA New cases 01192021.jpg (41.7 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 03:17 PM   #413
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
One reason for the declining numbers is we're three weeks into 2021 and the incubation period for people who contracted the virus during the holiday season is past.
And the number of deaths peaked yesterday, probably be cause people who caught it in the holidays succumbed.

Welcome to the White House, Mr. Biden.
Old 21st January 2021, 03:19 PM   #414
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a quote from Anthony Fauci today.

"One of the things that was very clear as recently as about 15 minutes ago when I was with the president, is that one of the things we're going to do is be completely transparent open and honest. If things go wrong, not point fingers but correct them, and to make everything we do be based on science and evidence. That was literally a conversation I had 15 minutes ago with the president, and he has said that multiple times," he said.

Isn't it truly sad that "everything we do be based on science and evidence" is a new policy, and a dramatic shift from the recent past?

Thank God though that it has finally happened.
Old 21st January 2021, 03:46 PM   #415
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

For the first time, a Covid newsconference where the GOvernment was trying to level with us.
Panfully clear that Dear Leader suppresed unplesent information for fear it would hurt he reelection.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 05:02 PM   #416
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

They are preparing USA for very bad news. Entirety of Trump's bungling of coronavirus response will be revealed.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:10 PM   #417
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Old 21st January 2021, 08:05 PM   #418
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Over the last 7 days, 1,040 people in Canada have died from Covid-19. If the US was doing as well as Canada, that would extrapolate to 8,944 US deaths. Actual US death toll: 22,231.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:15 PM   #419
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
They are preparing USA for very bad news. Entirety of Trump's bungling of coronavirus response will be revealed.
I think they've already let us in on this. Half a million will be dead by Feb. There is no distribution plan per se. And so on. Not to mention we saw how bad Trump was doing in real time.

Gawd just think if Trump was reelected.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st January 2021 at 08:16 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:23 PM   #420
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Right Wing Media is going berserk with Two Minute Hates agianst Fauci.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:05 AM   #421
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Right Wing Media is going berserk with Two Minute Hates agianst Fauci.
Not much to like about a contagious disease expert who stands by and allows misinformation that kills hundreds of thousands to be disseminated.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:51 AM   #422
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not much to like about a contagious disease expert who stands by and allows misinformation that kills hundreds of thousands to be disseminated.
For certain values of "stands by and allows," I suppose.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:17 AM   #423
rdwight
Muse

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

"One of the things that was very clear as recently as about 15 minutes ago when I was with the president, is that one of the things we're going to do is be completely transparent open and honest. If things go wrong, not point fingers but correct them, and to make everything we do be based on science and evidence. That was literally a conversation I had 15 minutes ago with the president, and he has said that multiple times," he said.

Isn't it truly sad that "everything we do be based on science and evidence" is a new policy, and a dramatic shift from the recent past?

Thank God though that it has finally happened.

I have the full expectation that they will be completely open and honest about every issue that can be deemed the fault of the Trump administration. The CDC, NHS, state response and future issues that will come up from actions taken with this administration? Let's find out. Bureaucrats stating their intentions and what will happen in reality rarely pan out.

I feel like there is way too much celebrating a change at the top before any groundwork is done. Reasons to be optimistic, sure, but let's give them the time to implement stuff before we start handing out medals.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:15 PM   #424
No Other
Muse

It was Fauci who lied to the public:

-Face masks would do no good and then reversed his stance.
-It will take 60-70% of the population for herd immunity and then change the percentage based on his gut feel to... 85%. Science? www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/90445

He is the one who is not transparent; he moves the goal post to suit his most current position.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:32 PM   #425
DallasDad
Muse

Back in March 2020, available evidence suggested that fomites and close contact were the primary spreaders of the disease. Hence, wash hands and keep distance -- masks unlikely to help.

When it became clear, through more evidence, that the virus was indeed airborne, recommendations changed to match the facts. Hence, masks, avoid groups in enclosed places, etc.

That is the very essence of science. Conclusions evolve as evidence accumulates and controlled tests are performed.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:59 PM   #426
Steve
Philosopher

For certain values of "stands by and allows," I suppose.
In numerous announcements he literally stood behind Trump and listened to him lie about COVID 19 without one word of disagreement or protest. He can be seen, by anyone who cares to look, literally "standing by and allowing" Trump to lie about the pandemic. He is no different than any other of Trump's lackeys. Speaking out now that Trump is no longer his boss is way to little and way too late. 300,000+ Americans are dead.
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:13 PM   #427
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

In numerous announcements he literally stood behind Trump and listened to him lie about COVID 19 without one word of disagreement or protest. He can be seen, by anyone who cares to look, literally "standing by and allowing" Trump to lie about the pandemic. He is no different than any other of Trump's lackeys. Speaking out now that Trump is no longer his boss is way to little and way too late. 300,000+ Americans are dead.
Was he supposed to shove Trump aside or something?
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:49 PM   #428
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I would have preferred he resign and go public with the truth.

Instead he stayed and said little. Near the end he got a little bolder, quietly challenging Trump's claims.

Fauci didn't want to give up his NIH position. Maybe he thought he could do more from the inside than going public with the truth.

Time to move on for me. I was and am pissed at the misinformation Fauci helped spread.

But now it's time to move forward (again IMO).
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 01:53 PM   #429
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I would have preferred he resign and go public with the truth.

Instead he stayed and said little. Near the end he got a little bolder, quietly challenging Trump's claims.

Fauci didn't want to give up his NIH position. Maybe he thought he could do more from the inside than going public with the truth.

Time to move on for me. I was and am pissed at the misinformation Fauci helped spread.

But now it's time to move forward (again IMO).
"Quietly challenging Trump's claims."

On national television.

In exclusive interviews.

He and his family targeted with death threats.

Yeah, he didn't do enough.

The ****?
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:00 PM   #430
Steve
Philosopher

Sure. Hyperbole is always effective.

He could have used his own voice, in his own time, to refute the lies being told to Americans about COVID. He could have chosen to not be a part of the team that was lying to Americans. He could have chosen not to be visible in the background as trump lied to Americans about COVID 19. He chose none of these things. He chose to remain silent in the face of Trump's lies. He chose, like so many lackeys who crave to be close to political power, to be seen, by standing in silence on trump's stage, as supportive of Trumps lies.

By his silence he is complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, and in the illness of millions more.

Do you think any of his actions as part of Trump's team did anything to alleviate the effects of COVID 19 among the American population?
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:09 PM   #431
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

On national television.

In exclusive interviews.

The ****?
Sone people always prefer the big but useless dramtic move to the quieter but more efffective action.
How much worse would it have been if Fauci, behnds the scenes, had probably not contained the dumber of Trump's actions?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:11 PM   #432
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. Hyperbole is always effective.

He could have used his own voice, in his own time, to refute the lies being told to Americans about COVID. He could have chosen to not be a part of the team that was lying to Americans. He could have chosen not to be visible in the background as trump lied to Americans about COVID 19. He chose none of these things. He chose to remain silent in the face of Trump's lies. He chose, like so many lackeys who crave to be close to political power, to be seen, by standing in silence on trump's stage, as supportive of Trumps lies.

By his silence he is complicit in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans, and in the illness of millions more.

Do you think any of his actions as part of Trump's team did anything to alleviate the effects of COVID 19 among the American population?

This is pure BS.
You want to purge anybody who worked in the Trump Administration.
I repeat,there are always those attracted to cheap threatrics even if useless.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:15 PM   #433
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

dp

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:16 PM   #434
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This is pure BS.
You want to purge anybody who worked in the Trump Administration.
I repeat,there are always those attracted to cheap threatrics even if useless.
Yeah, Fauci would have gotten the media's attention for about a 1/2 a week and then some other Trump bumbling would take front center stage...and then Fauci would have been out of the picture and unable to aid or co-ordinate anything at the Federal level. He had a balancing act to deal with and at times I swear the only reason Trump didn't fire him is because the stock market would have tumbled hard with such an action.

Dramatic exits are great theater. They don't actually *do* anything.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:17 PM   #435
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by No Other View Post

-Face masks would do no good and then reversed his stance.
-It will take 60-70% of the population for herd immunity and then change the percentage based on his gut feel to... 85%. Science? www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/90445

He is the one who is not transparent; he moves the goal post to suit his most current position.
You don't get how science works, do you?
But go on being a loyal follower of Dear Leader.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:51 PM   #436
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

You must admit, that would have been awesome to see.

I am confident that he walked a tightrope in the early days between speaking out, in which case he would have been shoved aside, and trying to do what he could from within. I think he did pretty well. As time went on, he spoke out more. He got ignored by Trump, or ridiculed by Trump, but he had established himself enough with the public by then that Trump couldn't fire him.

I do think his early mask statements were a problem. I think he decided on expedience over truth, and I think he made a bad decision.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:11 PM   #437
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

You have to hand it to right wing trolls. (And trolling seems central to right wingery. Conspiracy theories, personal attacks, whataboutism, chronic smugness and disdain, etc.) trump loses the election. Claims fraud but it becomes apparent he (trump) is the one trying to steal an election away from the legitimate winner. Sics his followers on Congress. Invade the chamber. Disrupt and then subvert the election certification. Threats to hang Pence from a tree on the plaza. Execute Pelosi. It fizzles and trump abandons the mob, letting them twist slowly in the wind. Cases of Coronavirus soar, the death count mounts. Through it all the RWTs (right wing trolls) pretty much stay quiet. What can they say? How can they spin all this? ("Will miraculously disappear." "We may have a few embers come Fall." "We know how to control it." "Hydroxychloroquine.")

But then...suddenly their eyes light up and they spring back to life. Oh yeah. FAUCI!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doggin them libs.jpg (51.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 22nd January 2021 at 04:13 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:13 PM   #438
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You must admit, that would have been awesome to see.

I am confident that he walked a tightrope in the early days between speaking out, in which case he would have been shoved aside, and trying to do what he could from within. I think he did pretty well. As time went on, he spoke out more. He got ignored by Trump, or ridiculed by Trump, but he had established himself enough with the public by then that Trump couldn't fire him.

I do think his early mask statements were a problem. I think he decided on expedience over truth, and I think he made a bad decision.
There were also cncerns about a shortage of masks in the early days,and there was fear there would not be enough for those the first responders who really neeeded them.
Farnkly, some of Fauci's critics on the left would not be satisfied unless Fauci jumpes on Trump and started yelling at him.
THye also show a sort of ignorance the way the world works.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:13 PM   #439
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Fauci should have done a lot more to Trump than just shove him aside. But the little traitor favored his own skin over doing his patriotic duty.

Quote:

On national television.

In exclusive interviews.
That's Fauci for you - always has to be in the spotlight, an attention-seeking narcissist for sure.

Originally Posted by No Other
That's right. Fauci said,
"When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is."
Which is clearly a lie. We all know that masks are 100% effective and the only way to stop the spread (lockdowns don't work).

So there you have it:- Fauci's a liar, a narcissist, unpatriotic, incompetent - all the things Trump isn't. Fauci is to blame for the Covid situation - not Trump!
Old 22nd January 2021, 03:23 PM   #440
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

On national television.

In exclusive interviews.

The ****?
No, he didn't.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics