ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2019, 09:48 PM   #41
Nakani
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Not necessarily. Recent news item in the Geographical, together with some interesting pictures of the mess table, claims there is hope the papers contained within Captain Crozier's desk inside HMS Terror are well-preserved:
For some reason I was thinking it was a lot deeper. This does seem doable.

Quote:
This could be quite exciting because part of the raison d'etre of these expeditions was to meticulously note all of the flora and fauna seen. It follows Crozier may have equally charted the last days of his ship.
Day1. Oh bother, it seems we are still stuck in the ice
Day2. Waiting for ice to shift
Day3. Promised crew, ice will move
Day34. Crew crestfallen
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 12:56 AM   #42
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
For some reason I was thinking it was a lot deeper. This does seem doable.

Day1. Oh bother, it seems we are still stuck in the ice
Day2. Waiting for ice to shift
Day3. Promised crew, ice will move
Day34. Crew crestfallen
I'm hoping for drama along the lines of:

Day 34 Locked in my cabin for the 29th day. The crew came for the officers one by one. The cutlery was sharpened and several large urns were filled with water for boiling. Thankfully, the last match was too sodden to light and I escaped being the dish of the day by the skin of my teeth. Yes, the skin from my teeth was to be the garnish. So now I have a heavy chest barricading my door. I have just two bottles of port left and no food. So to whom it may concern, farewell and adieu, goodbye to all in merrie Englande and say hello to my Mum.xxx
Or will you stop once and wonder
What you're doing it for. ~ Nick Drake
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM   #43
Nakani
Muse

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I'm hoping for drama along the lines of:

Day 34 Locked in my cabin for the 29th day. The crew came for the officers one by one. The cutlery was sharpened and several large urns were filled with water for boiling. Thankfully, the last match was too sodden to light and I escaped being the dish of the day by the skin of my teeth. Yes, the skin from my teeth was to be the garnish. So now I have a heavy chest barricading my door. I have just two bottles of port left and no food. So to whom it may concern, farewell and adieu, goodbye to all in merrie Englande and say hello to my Mum.xxx
I had a full journal set to post, although hilarious, it seemed kind of disrespectful. As someone who spends a lot of time out on the land. I have had plans change and have been inconvenienced. I have empathy for those men and the hardships that killed them. I am curious about the limits a person can go to. It is not how they suffered that interests me, it's how they tried to live, against the odds, that is what intrigues me.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #44
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Desperate times call for like measures and it is equally possible everything burnable was to try to camp at night. They had to be aware of freezing to death.
I would love to read the contents of a ships journal, but odds of one being found don't seem good.

My odd question is how did they not make contact with native Inuit and try to survive among them? It would have been the surest way to survive.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM   #45
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I recall reading somewhere that they did try, but the Inuit avoided them out of fear of not having enough resources to support a large group of shipwrecked sailors.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts