ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th August 2019, 12:05 AM   #281
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

One of those systems that looks goodon paper and works in a spectacular way buthas no effect in the real world.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 12:59 AM   #282
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Dreadnought was the "bleeding edge" of a period of both extreme technical advancement and a massive arms race that fueled it. No way she was still going to be competitive after 8-10 years at a time like that. For comparison, the USN commissioned these truly awful ships well over a year after Dreadnought.
To be fair, the very similar Lord Nelsons were completed at about the same time after having been delayed by another ship taking all their main gun turrets.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 03:38 AM   #283
erwinl
Master Poster

If we're talking about worst warship weapons.

The main AA gun suite of the Bismarck.

The heavy AA guns (105 m) were primarily meant for barrage work, but not suitable for shooting at individual aircraft (AA guns on ships in this calibre would only come into its own with the late war American radar/127 mm combo for shooting at individual aircraft). As guns they and their mounts were very good though.

The 20 mm giuns were very, very good. Unfortunately. By the time guns in this caliber start to get effective, the enemy aircraft are almost on board of your ship. These are only last ditch weapons.

In between are the 37 mm guns. Nominal in the same range of the famous 40mm guns the allies used and should be the main AA gun suite for shooting at aircracft.
Only.... These particular 37mm guns were hand loaded with single shells. The practical rate of fire was an embarrassing 30 rounds per minute! For an AA gun! On a moving ship!

It is really no surprise that Bismarck couldn't shoot any aircraft down.
Old 30th August 2019, 05:22 AM   #284
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Some German destroyers were fitted with 150 mm twin turrets in the bow. These had originally been manufactured for planned, but never built, "O" class battlecruisers, they were fully enclosed and armoured.
They were overweight for the ships they were fitted to and caused the bows plunge making the ships very 'wet' and unable to carry high speed in a head sea.
They were abandoned and single mounts were reverted to.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:27 AM   #285
Parsman
Muse

The Vasa. I made an Airfix kit of it in my childhood. Looked a really impressive vessel. Then I found out that it just sank after sailing about 1 mile on its maiden voyage. It was too top heavy and anything more than a breeze was always likely to sink it. Pretty spectacular failure, but now one of Sweden's biggest tourist attractions. Go figure.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 02:42 PM   #286
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

And now in counterpoint, what I think was at least a very capable Littoral Combat Ship - The Svierge-class

Let's build a mini battleship, because we want something that only operates to defend our coast, so we can compromise on the blue-water capabilities, so it's smaller than a light cruiser but with 11-inch guns and heavier armour than a heavy cruiser.

Seemed to work as a strategic threat.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 03:13 PM   #287
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

delete wrong thread

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 30th August 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 30th August 2019, 03:15 PM   #288
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

delete wrong thread

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 30th August 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 30th August 2019, 03:15 PM   #289
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The Beautiful South - Just a Few Things that I Ain't (with lyrics)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Fixed your link - I think

Was that a reference to my post?
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 03:17 PM   #290
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

posted to wrong thread

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 30th August 2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 30th August 2019, 03:19 PM   #291
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Fixed your link - I think

Was that a reference to my post?
Posted to wrong thread !!!!!
Old 30th August 2019, 03:30 PM   #292
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think that Nelson and Rodney would class as ugly warships. And not in a mean "Apache helicopter, ugly" way.
Old 30th August 2019, 03:34 PM   #293
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think that Nelson and Rodney would class as ugly warships. And not in a mean "Apache helicopter, ugly" way.
The Apache isn't ugly, though. Form follows function. The Apache is shaped like Doing the Job. Nothing ugly about that.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 03:49 PM   #294
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

As are Nelson and Rodney, big platforms for big guns.
Old 30th August 2019, 04:19 PM   #295
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And now in counterpoint, what I think was at least a very capable Littoral Combat Ship - The Svierge-class

Let's build a mini battleship, because we want something that only operates to defend our coast, so we can compromise on the blue-water capabilities, so it's smaller than a light cruiser but with 11-inch guns and heavier armour than a heavy cruiser.

Seemed to work as a strategic threat.
Not so different to the USS Mississippi Class, mentioned above. Other than having a much better secondary battery arrangement and being designed to actual be useful to their nation, rather than a silly compromise between Congress and the USN!
Old 30th August 2019, 04:20 PM   #296
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
As are Nelson and Rodney, big platforms for big guns.
The Cherry Tree Class, cut down by Washington!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts