ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 07:21 AM   #2401
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"I have worked long & hard with Robert."

One thing is clear, Trump has never worked "long & hard" on anything.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #2402
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I am pleased to announce that I will name Robert C. O’Brien, currently serving as the very successful Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs at the State Department, as our new National Security Advisor. I have worked long & hard with Robert. He will do a great job!

This guy couldn't even convince Trump not to send him to Sweden this past summer, what chance does he have of actually "advising" Trump on actual matters of national security?
Old Today, 07:22 AM   #2403
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yes, I knew about the "some people did something" part, I was asking about the "Partying" part. There's nothing to explain that.
The video embedded in the tweet kinda covers it.

Man is ranting about IIhan Omar partying on 11 September and by way of proof has some video of her dancing/partying with some friends. There's no evidence that the dancing/partying was on that date.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #2404
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Ok I read those and still have no idea what anyone meant by ‘partying on 9/11 anniversary.’ I get the criticism of the terrible optics of what she said but I also understand her point at the time was that people who had nothing to do with the attacks have experienced serious repercussions.

It was meant like when gun fans say things like ‘somebody somewhere gets shot and now you want to take our guns?’ Bad optics but you can tell what their point was.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:12 AM   #2405
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
This article will give you the background:
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...11-victim.html
Where was the partying referred to in that?

I understand exactly what Omar was on about. It's unfortunate her message is being drowned out by the racists that have been told over and over we must call them Islamist terrorists or somehow we are not loyal Americans.

I would like to hear them called extremist Saudis, myself.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Today at 09:14 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #2406
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Man is ranting about IIhan Omar partying on 11 September and by way of proof has some video of her dancing/partying with some friends. There's no evidence that the dancing/partying was on that date.
Tweet's gone. I hope it was taken down because it appeared fraudulent.

Now we need Omar and the Democrats to denounce it as a lie, which is ironic because Trump has lied about 911 multiple times.
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #2407
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

There is evidence that it is not from that date. Video is from a Sept. 12 event. The tweet that was the source for the dancing video is very clear about where and when the event was taking place, so whoever put together the smear had to have known it was false. This is propaganda meant to rile up the Islamophobic base of the right.

Trump's desperation will be nasty. He will absolutely paint targets on people and hope that some idiot from his base takes action.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; Today at 09:25 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:10 AM   #2408
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Trump Administration is revoking California’s Federal Waiver on emissions in order to produce far less expensive cars for the consumer, while at the same time making the cars substantially SAFER. This will lead to more production because of this pricing and safety......

.... advantage, and also due to the fact that older, highly polluting cars, will be replaced by new, extremely environmentally friendly cars. There will be very little difference in emissions between the California Standard and the new U.S. Standard, but the cars will be....

....far safer and much less expensive. Many more cars will be produced under the new and uniform standard, meaning significantly more JOBS, JOBS, JOBS! Automakers should seize this opportunity because without this alternative to California, you will be out of business.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #2409
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Just what the US auto industry needs at this exact moment, a sea change in regulation!
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #2410
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Trump Tweets

The Trump Administration is revoking California’s Federal Waiver on emissions in order to produce far less expensive cars for the consumer, while at the same time making the cars substantially SAFER. This will lead to more production because of this pricing and safety......

.... advantage, and also due to the fact that older, highly polluting cars, will be replaced by new, extremely environmentally friendly cars. There will be very little difference in emissions between the California Standard and the new U.S. Standard, but the cars will be....

....far safer and much less expensive. Many more cars will be produced under the new and uniform standard, meaning significantly more JOBS, JOBS, JOBS! Automakers should seize this opportunity because without this alternative to California, you will be out of business.
Fractally wrong. This is almost impressively wrong.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #2411
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's been taken down.
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #2412
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

The Trump Administration is revoking California’s Federal Waiver on emissions in order to produce far less expensive cars for the consumer, while at the same time making the cars substantially SAFER.

I'm really curious how lower pollution standards will make cars safer. The clouds of particulate will provide a cushion in a crash?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #2413
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I'm really curious how lower pollution standards will make cars safer. The clouds of particulate will provide a cushion in a crash?
The invisible hand will intercede for you. Think of it like one of those "Bigby's" spells from the D&D games.
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #2414
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I think the argument was "without the emissions regulations cars would be cheaper, so people could replace old (unsafe) cars with new (safer) cars."

Which is of course a bogus argument.

Hopefully, this will get bogged down in the courts for a few months, and even if Trump gets his way, car manufacturers will realize that the next Democratic government will probably just go and restore the standards, and just keep making things more efficient anyways.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #2415
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I think the argument was "without the emissions regulations cars would be cheaper, so people could replace old (unsafe) cars with new (safer) cars."

Hopefully, this will get bogged down in the courts for a few months, and even if Trump gets his way, car manufacturers will realize that the next Democratic government will probably just go and restore the standards, and just keep making things more efficient anyways.
Why is it bogus?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #2416
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Why is it bogus?
I don't have an opinion on that.
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #2417
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Neither do I. That is why I asked.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #2418
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

Why is it bogus?
Because the costs related to improved mileage would be a relatively small fraction of the cost of a new car (and would largely be offset by savings at the gas pump). Because people's purchases are often based on the status of their current car rather than the cost of a replacement.

Simply put, its doubtful that many will say "Oh new cars are now 1% cheaper. I'll ditch my old car that only has 10,000 miles on it to buy a new one". Instead, they will stay in their old cars until they die.

Oh, and there is anotehr 'excuse' given by Trump fanboys... that better fuel mileage requires lighter cars, which makes them unsafer. Which ignores the fact that making cars lighter doesn't necessarily make them unsafe (since safety often depends on things like crumple zones, which are independent of weight.)

ETA: It also ignores the issue of public health, such as respiratory diseases, caused by excessive exhaust emissions. Trumps attempts to relax emissions standards will result in more public harm from things like smog than could ever be saved by somehow 'safer' cars.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; Today at 11:24 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #2419
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Fractally wrong. This is almost impressively wrong.
Maybe he was having a go at writing a tribute to Ric Ocasek?
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #2420
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

On second thought, it can’t be that. There’s no mention of him once trying to pick up Ric’s hot wife.
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #2421
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Jay Powell and the Federal Reserve Fail Again. No “guts,” no sense, no vision! A terrible communicator!
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #2422
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Jay Powell and the Federal Reserve Fail Again. No “guts,” no sense, no vision! A terrible communicator!
When did 'communicator' become the main function of the Fed chair? I thought the purpose of the fed's chair was to help set rates.

We are Groot - Groot
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #2423
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #2424
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There is evidence that it is not from that date. Video is from a Sept. 12 event. The tweet that was the source for the dancing video is very clear about where and when the event was taking place, so whoever put together the smear had to have known it was false. This is propaganda meant to rile up the Islamophobic base of the right.

Trump's desperation will be nasty. He will absolutely paint targets on people and hope that some idiot from his base takes action.
Sept. 13th, actually - it was the CBC Foundation's annual conference that weekend, so of course there are also night events. But even if it were Sept 11th at night, um, who cares, when the planes hit in the morning? Are people with birthdays on 9/11 supposed to eat their birthday cake in a somber, solemn manner? Of course, I expect people who actually lost family and friends might mourn on the day, but for everyone else, I expect many to move on.

For example, the North Carolina GOP, who I haven't heard Dolt 45 chide in any way, despite his attacking Rep. Omar for some reason...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #2425
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

Trump got his unneeded rate cut and he's still unhappy?

Guess he wanted a bigger rate cut on his personal debts.

HuffPo (it's also in the WAPo): Trump Demands Fed Drop Rates To Zero. That Would Save Him $8 Million A Year.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Today at 12:44 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #2426
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

No Lindsey, it was a sign of strength that some people just don’t understand!

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
The measured response by President @realDonaldTrump regarding the shooting down of an American drone was clearly seen by the Iranian regime as a sign of weakness.
I like to see the tiny cracks in the Graham/Trump relationship, though I'm no Iran hawk and I'd just as soon see "measured" responses against it.

Perceived missteps by Trump on U.S. national security is one thing that bothers the usually sycophantic GOP senators.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #2427
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I like to see the tiny cracks in the Graham/Trump relationship, though I'm no Iran hawk and I'd just as soon see "measured" responses against it.

Perceived missteps by Trump on U.S. national security is one thing that bothers the usually sycophantic GOP senators.
Except it's actually Trump being more "measured" on the subject. That says quite a bit about Graham. He was pretty much the only member of the 2016 Klown Kar with significant military service...except he was an Air Force lawyer.
Old Today, 02:28 PM   #2428
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I notice the religious content in his tweets and rants is going up.
I have lost what little respect I ever had for evanglicals when they fell for Trump's phony religious act. It's not even a good con but the fundies eat it up.
That Trump never talked about religion until he ran for President should be a dead giveway it is just a political gimmick,but the evanglicals are either too ignorant or just plain stupid to pick up on that, despite it being screamngly obvious.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #2429
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

Not an Iran hawk, but also think that Iran gets cut a bit too much slack around here. IMHO morally, little to choose between Iran and Saudi, except that Iran seems to have a slightly better PR machine, and is smart enough to conduct it's killings on the quiet.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:36 PM   #2430
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's been taken down.

Williams deleted his own twit.

Trump, however, hasn't.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:17 PM   #2431
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just heard about Trump's Cokie Roberts comment.
What a total and complete narcissic Alpha Hotel he is.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #2432
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I liked the Los Angeles Times editorial:
Quote:
Trump, who has a bizarre desire to increase air pollution in the United States, has for months threatened to withdraw California’s authority under the Clean Air Act to set its own limits for auto emissions...as it has done for more than five decades.

His reason? He doesn’t really have one. It’s mostly out of pique. Link
Yep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worst president ever.jpg (35.1 KB, 1 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #2433
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I notice the religious content in his tweets and rants is going up....
It's incredible, makes one worry if he doesn't believe it already, that "I'm the chosen one" comment is becoming real to him.

And those religious hypocrites, what's one more fantasy?
Old Today, 04:28 PM   #2434
Bob001
Philosopher

Not an Iran hawk, but also think that Iran gets cut a bit too much slack around here. IMHO morally, little to choose between Iran and Saudi, except that Iran seems to have a slightly better PR machine, and is smart enough to conduct it's killings on the quiet.
And yet our government sees Saudi Arabia is one of our closest allies, and Iran as one of our darkest enemies. Maybe there's reason to lighten up a little on iran, which was complying with its nuclear treaty until the U.S. cancelled it, and come down a little harder on SA, which in some ways would resemble North Korea if it didn't have oil.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:28 PM   #2435
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You mean Saudi?

On a related note, the cruise missile remains shown to the public by Saudi Arabia had English letters and numbers on it. Even if Iran was responsible, it's almost certain those missiles originated with US arms manufacturers.
Old Today, 04:42 PM   #2436
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Neither do I. That is why I asked.
For once, I'm with you.

I can't figure out how the argument is bogus, honestly.
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #2437
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Because the costs related to improved mileage would be a relatively small fraction of the cost of a new car (and would largely be offset by savings at the gas pump). Because people's purchases are often based on the status of their current car rather than the cost of a replacement.

Simply put, its doubtful that many will say "Oh new cars are now 1% cheaper. I'll ditch my old car that only has 10,000 miles on it to buy a new one". Instead, they will stay in their old cars until they die.

Oh, and there is anotehr 'excuse' given by Trump fanboys... that better fuel mileage requires lighter cars, which makes them unsafer. Which ignores the fact that making cars lighter doesn't necessarily make them unsafe (since safety often depends on things like crumple zones, which are independent of weight.)

ETA: It also ignores the issue of public health, such as respiratory diseases, caused by excessive exhaust emissions. Trumps attempts to relax emissions standards will result in more public harm from things like smog than could ever be saved by somehow 'safer' cars.
Aaah, gotcha.

It does seem like the rare smog-related deaths would balance out the also rare deaths prevented by a small increase in safer, newer cars.
Old Today, 05:04 PM   #2438
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Aaah, gotcha.

It does seem like the rare smog-related deaths would balance out the also rare deaths prevented by a small increase in safer, newer cars.
How rare are smog related deaths, though? When smog is bad, it is causing significant health problems for millions of people. What is the effect of ozone on lungs? Breathing all that smoke?

Just because people don't keel over from "smog" doesn't mean that smog isn't killing them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics