ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags dragons , ethnogens , serpent

Old 29th January 2007, 06:47 AM   #161
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Originally Posted by buzz lightyear View Post
Tricky question Gr8wight , hard one to answer since I have never been standing beside myself during an experiment . That's why I've had difficulty wording a description .
I know that there is some type of pressure wave . I attempted it once with an ear infection and the pain was excruciating in my blocked ear .

From my point of view it sounds a bit like a massed choir in a cathedral performing a gregorian chant .

During one experiment , I positioned a friend who had accompanied me , at the sweet spot in the chamber, and focused the sound on them .
They described how they could feel the sound spiral down from above . They also felt a sense harmony within themselves .
So, no actual physical manifestations of any kind. No way for an independant witness to verify your claims. Impossible for any person in the world to dispute that this is all happening anywhere but in your head.

Anything I'm missing here? Feel free to elaborate.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2007, 11:02 AM   #162
Paul
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gr8wight View Post
Feel free to elaborate
Please, don't encourage him to make up more rubbish.

If he was a decent troll he would at least be internally consistent; anyone who was going to include lizard overlords in their fantasy should have at least heard of David Icke.
Paul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2007, 02:05 PM   #163
buzz lightyear
Muse

[quote=Mashuna;2295787]So the opening of the space-time continuum can be identified by feeling a bit relaxed while listening to some chanting?

Mashuna , Mashuna ,Mashuna ......................... thank you .
Like they say," out of the mouths of babes " .

For thousands of years mankind , and womankind , have attempted to contact what they believed to be the devine, using their voice .
They have built temples , mosques and cathederals, all with one common thread . They were desinged to amplify the human voice .
And those that didnt build structures ,used musical instruments in a similar manner .
This devine exists not only in an externial world ,but also within the human soul . (oops ,I forgot you guys dont have souls )
But if you did , and you went into a cathederal and listened quietly to a choir , deep in your essence an aspect of your creator would flicker .

{ Gosh I love to preach }

And Gr8 , you are on the right track .
If it was like in " Stargate SG1" , I would have done my trick for good old Jimmy ,picked up the "mill" and be down in the pub shouting the bar .

But there is " more " , there is always " more " , remember I take my box brownie along with me and so far I hav'nt been able to get it to hallucinate.

Back soon
buzz lightyear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2007, 04:09 PM   #164
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

§$%&ß
Epilogue #0000000000000000000000000000000000000016.
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2007, 04:35 PM   #165
Paul
Illuminator

remember I take my box brownie along with me and so far I hav'nt been able to get it to hallucinate
Now you're claiming the literal transition of physical entities to a mythical place, the domain of dead souls and gods, and thence to diverse points in time and space? This feat is achieved by the manipulation of waves into mass and the induction of near-death through heat.

the cute little monkey, he laughs in your face.
Paul is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2007, 09:00 PM   #166
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Gr8 , you are on the right track .
If it was like in " Stargate SG1" , I would have done my trick for good old Jimmy ,picked up the "mill" and be down in the pub shouting the bar .

But there is " more " , there is always " more " , remember I take my box brownie along with me and so far I hav'nt been able to get it to hallucinate.

Back soon
I have absolutely no idea what that means. Are you trying to indicate that you have taken a photograph of some kind of manifestation of this phenomenon, or is your "box brownie" a euphemism for something else entirely? Again, I ask you, what would an objective observer, who wasn't hallucinating along with you, experience? Aside from a general feeling of relaxation.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2007, 11:02 PM   #167
Reno
Inquisitor

Every time Buzz posts I am reminded of the Simpsons and an episode where the annoying son of the family is running around the living room shouting, 'Look at me! Look at me!' whenever he is not the centre of attention.

FYI Buzz, I no longer read any of the posts you make, I just skip straight to the responses by other forumites.

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2007, 12:44 AM   #168
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I was thinking of starting a poll on why buzz posts this stuff, but all of the poll options boiled down to:

Buzz is s###faced on salvia x30.
Old 30th January 2007, 01:29 AM   #169
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I was thinking of starting a poll on why buzz posts this stuff, but all of the poll options boiled down to:

Buzz is s###faced on salvia x30.
On Planet X, salvia x30 is s###faced on buzz.

(Your post gave me a good laugh. As did the last line of your second-to-last.)
GzuzKryzt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2007, 02:18 AM   #170
buzz lightyear
Muse

Yeah Gr8 , from what I know there are no phisical manifestations other than the sound .
From my point of view its a bit like being involved in a high speed automobile wreck that lasts for about 4 hours . Things happen that fast .
After the event I go back over the residual memories, as you would the scrapes and debris of a wreck , to understand what happened .
I then cross reference these understandings with history , mythology and geology references .
Even though each experiment yelds different results a general pattern has emerged .

Do you know much about Australian Aboriginal mythology ?
buzz lightyear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2007, 03:24 AM   #171
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

Yeah Gr8 , from what I know there are no phisical manifestations other than the sound .
From my point of view its a bit like being involved in a high speed automobile wreck that lasts for about 4 hours . Things happen that fast .
After the event I go back over the residual memories, as you would the scrapes and debris of a wreck , to understand what happened .
I then cross reference these understandings with history , mythology and geology references .
Even though each experiment yelds different results a general pattern has emerged .

Epilogue #0000000000000000000000000000000000000017.
Old 30th January 2007, 08:49 AM   #172
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

So, we have established that the entire experience, by your own admission, occurs solely in your head. I think we're done here.

Old 30th January 2007, 09:08 AM   #173
Paul
Illuminator

So Buzz, how does your non-hallucinating camera fit into this poorly though out fantasy?
Old 30th January 2007, 10:41 AM   #174
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

(cleaned up original post punctuation errors)

Understanding the going back is pretty easy. Seems that the past is strung out behind the Earth like a long tail.
What about other planets? Don't they have any past?

To access it I have to materialise in an entity who also had access to the death world, giving me a body to temorally inhabit.
So you inhabit a body that is in space? And how does one have access to the death world? What is death world? Would it be Endor or Alderaan? What happens to the conscience of the owner of the body while you inhabit the body?

The most notable of these people was an Egyptian called Imothep. Smart dude, we got along famously.
Dude, if you know him so well, spell his name right. Imhotep.
How did you get to see him? Was there a special, "I'm from the future" door?

I got him to organize the building the ultimate artificial accoustic vessel , the great pyramid at Cheops .
Last I heard, it was a tomb. Why didn't you speak to Hemon? They didn't speak English back then so how did you converse engineering concepts?

Unfortunately the Arabs pretty well buggered it,but it still ran well enough for me to get through to Rose Crowley back in 1904 .
Why didn't you just "inhabit" her body instead? Opps, I forgot, you're in space.

Have also had an interesting interaction with the odd Chinese emperor, giving me a good feel for landscaping. I know when I return from an interaction with this guy as I have a craving for chicken chow min.
Name of this "odd Chinese emperor" please? And when I interact with my Hispanic neighbor, I get a good feel for landscaping too, but I don't get a craving for enchilladas. Did I mention that he's a contractor?

The future is more complicated in that it isn't linear. Time as we know it doesn't exist....it is only potentials. Here the future souls and the deceased reside in a world that occupies the same space as ours but is a fraction ahead in time.
So, dead people's souls go into the future? But not all the souls go to the same future since there are potentials?

In here I scatter aspects of myself which filter back as ideas into our world. As ideas they materialise in the minds of the advanced thinkers of this world, the sci fi writers.
Why not share the ideas you got from the future to the people of the present to the scientists? That's right, only the best writers have access to government funding. And it doesn't sound like you bring anything from the future to us now. Here's your new motto: "Buzz Lightyear: bringing you yesteday's technology today."

To retreive this material I browse the shelves of the local book store about 6 months to a year later looking for aspects of myself .
If you don't believe me, have a look for yourself, look at the themes. Its not rocket ships and space travel, it's future-past, time warps, dragons, Egyptology and warriors battling evil forces.
Please explain the Science Fiction of the 1950's when a lot of it was all-about rocket ships and space travel. Why are you looking for your aspects? Don't YOU know what YOU told people? lnteresting that ALL of your aspects arrive to this present since you have already described that the future is made up off possiblites. Also, good idea not mentioning any specific ideas that you may have given.

I hope that answers some of your queries , Gr8wight .
You've just given us more stuff you have to prove.

Also. I call total B.S. on your story. Wikipedia (yes, it's not always acurate, but neither is your story Buzz) says your boy Imhotep lived appx. 2667 BC - 2648 BC and "[a]s one of the officials of the Pharaoh Djosèr he designed the Pyramid of Djzosèr (Step Pyramid) at Saqqara in Egypt around 2630-2611 BC." (Imhotep entry, with internal links and referances removed)
"Most Egyptologists agree the pyramid was constructed over a 20 year period concluding around 2560 BC. It is generally believed the Great Pyramid was built as the tomb of Fourth dynasty Egyptian pharaoh Khufu (Cheops), after the person who created it, it is sometimes called Khufu's Pyramid or the Pyramid of Khufu. Khufu's vizier, Hemon, is credited as the architect of the Great Pyramid." (Great Pyramid of Giza entry, with internal links and referances removed)

Get your lies straight.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2007, 12:54 PM   #175
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Sorry, but I'm calling foul here.

Facts are not allowed. This thread is purely conjecture, hallucinations and humour.
Old 30th January 2007, 01:46 PM   #176
buzz lightyear
Muse

Thankyou ,10 Little Toes, for your constructive comments .
I will attempt to address them .
Since you seem to know your Egyptology , could you explain why a Pharoah would build the mightiest tomb and not put one funnery inscription on it . Effectively denying his access to the afterlife .

When I last looked the walls of the chambers were bare .

And Paul..............re ;the non-hallucinating Cannon S80 .
Do ,you, know much of the Australian Aborigines mythology ?
Their ideas on creation and the nature of reality as they believed it to be .

And as usual, the fun litte Kiwi , The Athiest , where would I be with out you .
Since you are great with the graphics , do you know if I can put photographs on these forum posts ?
Old 30th January 2007, 02:49 PM   #177
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Thankyou ,10 Little Toes, for your constructive comments .
I will attempt to address them .
Since you seem to know your Egyptology , could you explain why a Pharoah would build the mightiest tomb and not put one funnery inscription on it . Effectively denying his access to the afterlife .

When I last looked the walls of the chambers were bare .
I don't know Egyptology, but I can use the web. I have no idea why it is bare, nor do I care.

I asked you 18 questions and posted several comments. Even if I was being a smartee for half of the questions, you did not answer any of them. Thank you for avoiding all questions that I have asked, or telling me why I am wrong.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 30th January 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2007, 03:04 PM   #178
Paul
Illuminator

And Paul..............re ;the non-hallucinating Cannon S80 .
Do ,you, know much of the Australian Aborigines mythology ?
Their ideas on creation and the nature of reality as they believed it to be
What, in the name of all that's poorly written fiction, does your camera have to do with aboriginal myth?
Old 30th January 2007, 06:17 PM   #179
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And as usual, the fun litte Kiwi , The Athiest , where would I be with out you .
Since you are great with the graphics , do you know if I can put photographs on these forum posts ?
Sure can. Head to the "VB ImageHost" at the page header, upload your photos and post 'em up.

You can photobucket/other host, if you prefer - they all work.

Pretty good on Aboriginal mythology here, too, so give it your best shot. If I get out of my depth there are plenty of [other] Aussies here.

How's the shamathy going?
Old 30th January 2007, 06:18 PM   #180
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What, in the name of all that's poorly written fiction, does your camera have to do with aboriginal myth?
No. He has pics of the Aboriginals doing meth.
Old 30th January 2007, 06:37 PM   #181
Paul
Illuminator

No. He has pics of the Aboriginals doing meth.
Now that explains a lot, he tried to get a free hit by sniffing the vent from the lab.
Old 31st January 2007, 01:08 AM   #182
WWHP
Graduate Poster

Quote:
If Mr Randi was truely the warrior opposed to quackery then he would go after the really big fish ........ The Pope

Hmmm, that is actually an interesting point that I never thought of! doesn't the pope declare a few miracles every year or so?

Buzz, dont know much about you or what you do, or what your claim is, but that actually is one of the more interesting doubts about Randi I have read.

Why doesnt Randi go after the Pope? Surely the Catholic Church is one of the biggest frauds in history, and this brown lady or john edwards pale in comparison.
Old 31st January 2007, 01:23 AM   #183
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

rant
Epilogue #0000000000000000000000000000000000000018.
Old 31st January 2007, 02:12 AM   #184
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Bubblefish View Post
Why doesnt Randi go after the Pope? Surely the Catholic Church is one of the biggest frauds in history, and this brown lady or john edwards pale in comparison.
Let common sense rule for a second, mate.

How can anyone "go after" the Pope?

He's completely impregnable to attack by science, rationality and reason. If Randi wanted to destroy the JREF it would be a good plan, otherwise, not.
Old 31st January 2007, 02:55 AM   #185
WWHP
Graduate Poster

Let common sense rule for a second, mate.

How can anyone "go after" the Pope?

He's completely impregnable to attack by science, rationality and reason. If Randi wanted to destroy the JREF it would be a good plan, otherwise, not.
not to mention the catholic church hardly needs the cash. I was a little tongue in cheek, but the point is valid to a certain degree. The catholic church is surely doing more harm than a few 1 800 psychics. It would make for an interesting challenge, to test a miracle, wouldnt that be a clincher for the church to have it verified by randi?
Old 31st January 2007, 03:52 AM   #186
buzz lightyear
Muse

It is interesting why Randi hunts in the shallows , Bubblefish .
Depends on your convictions, and whether you are creating the illusion that you are a warrior ,or are the real McCoy .
There was a guy, called Martin Luther, who went after the pope and won .
But he was a brilliant scholar and a dedicated man .
For such a person nothing is impossible .
Old 31st January 2007, 04:04 AM   #187
Paul
Illuminator

Don't even try to start with religion, you can barely keep your current fiction from being totally incomprehensible rubbish.
Old 31st January 2007, 05:35 AM   #188
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

It is interesting why Randi hunts in the shallows , Bubblefish .
Depends on your convictions, and whether you are creating the illusion that you are a warrior ,or are the real McCoy .
There was a guy, called Martin Luther, who went after the pope and won .
But he was a brilliant scholar and a dedicated man .
Epilogue #0000000000000000000000000000000000000019.
Old 31st January 2007, 01:42 PM   #189
buzz lightyear
Muse

Next thing youll be telling me that you are not psychic , Paul .
"Don't even try to start with religion"

That is exactly where I'm headed , if I can get through the mire of intellectual giants ,with access to wilkipedia .
Will get back to you , Ten little Toes .

I'm headed to the oldest religion ,used by the most ancient people in the world . A religion based on understanding of the land and used as a survival tool . Not to subjucicate and rob the masses .

And since my words are mostly called lies , I will get one of your guys to tell the story .

So Athiest, since you are well versed in Australian Aboriginal mythology ,and you enjoy mouthing off , could you tell the good folks what is the principle entity in Aboriginal mythology , what did this creature do ,and where does/did it exist ?

Last edited by buzz lightyear; 31st January 2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: correction
Old 31st January 2007, 03:21 PM   #190
Paul
Illuminator

That is exactly where I'm headed , if I can get through the mire of intellectual giants ,with access to wilkipedia .
So far you've stacked ill conceived fictions one on the other and shoehorned them into poorly constructed sentences which barely resemble English; now you propose to fail in presenting a coherent argument from religion as well.

*by the way, you do realise that sentence claims that we are smarter than you and you are going to use Wikipedia, don't you?

Quote:
I'm headed to the oldest religion
I doubt that

Quote:
,used by the most ancient people in the world . A religion based on understanding of the land and used as a survival tool .
Now you're just embarrassing yourself again.

Quote:
And since my words are mostly called lies
Strange that, it's almost as if everyone thinks you're some kind of liar.

Quote:
I will get one of your guys to tell the story .
I sincerely doubt that.

- if anyone talks, our lizard overlords will be most displeased -

Quote:
Australian Aboriginal mythology
Ooh look, he's off in the wrong direction immediately.

Quote:
could you tell the good folks what is the principle entity in Aboriginal mythology , what did this creature do ,and where does/did it exist ?
I though you were going to use Wikipedia.
Old 31st January 2007, 04:12 PM   #191
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Next thing youll be telling me that you are not psychic , Paul .
"Don't even try to start with religion"

Will get back to you , Ten little Toes .

I'm headed to the oldest religion ,used by the most ancient people in the world . A religion based on understanding of the land and used as a survival tool . Not to subjucicate and rob the masses .

And since my words are mostly called lies , I will get one of your guys to tell the story .

So Athiest, since you are well versed in Australian Aboriginal mythology ,and you enjoy mouthing off , could you tell the good folks what is the principle entity in Aboriginal mythology , what did this creature do ,and where does/did it exist ?
Translation from buzz-speak follows:

"I tried Egyptology, pyramidology and the Pantheon of Egyptian gods and was found to know nothing at all about the subject."

"I tried religion but was found to know nothing at all about the subject."

"I know, I'll get one of these blokes to type out a legend first, so I can get my facts right!"

Buzz, you getting very tedious, which is a shame.

If you're having trouble with Wikipedia, go here. Looks like your sort of place.

Just a quick hint before you start. Aboriginals lived in a gigantic desert (Australia), where the two ruling entities were the sun and water.

Next...
Old 31st January 2007, 07:29 PM   #192
buzz lightyear
Muse

Not up on your Aboriginal mythology Athiest .

Pretty simple really :
They believe that the earth was a flat featureless plain that was transformed by the dreamtime creatures .
The principle one of these entities was a big reptile they know as " the rainbow serpent " .
This big bugger is supposed to have carved out the valleys , built up the mountains and in doing so imparted its energy into the landscape . This energy gave rise to the people and animals that inhabit the country .

They also believed that it left tracks or " dreaming trails " accross the country , which they could follow .
And these people are the finest trackers in the world , so if they say they can see tracks , I believe them .

The other part of their mythology was the belief in a creation world which is known as "the dreaming ".
This world existed before and runs parallel to the one we occupy .

If you taken the time to have a look at the " Book of what is in The Duat " , you would see exactly the same thing ,.... big lizard , parallel world .

So Athiest , what if the first dude that I struck in the death world was an aboriginal "witch doctor" and through him I learned to read the dreaming tracks and understand their legends , and I photographed what I saw .

What do you think the photographs would be of ?
Old 31st January 2007, 07:36 PM   #193
Paul
Illuminator

Does it involve proctology?
Old 31st January 2007, 07:59 PM   #194
buzz lightyear
Muse

You are one insightful dude Paul !
The "proct" part is closer than you think .
But lets see what the ever effervescent Athiest thinks it might be .
Old 31st January 2007, 10:44 PM   #195
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

First, it's Little 10 Toes.
Second, why do you want to have someone tell us what your believe?
<snip #1>
The principle one of these entities was a big reptile they know as " the rainbow serpent " .
<snip #2>
If you taken the time to have a look at the " Book of what is in The Duat " , you would see exactly the same thing ,.... big lizard , parallel world .
Third, snake != lizard.
Fourth, please get back to me. I really want to know why you've still haven't countered anything I've said about you.

<snip>
... if I can get through the mire of intellectual giants ,with access to wilkipedia .
Fifth, thanks for the compliment. I'll make my sig once I hit 50 posts.

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 31st January 2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 1st February 2007, 01:07 AM   #196
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not up on your Aboriginal mythology Athiest .

Pretty simple really :
They believe that the earth was a flat featureless plain that was transformed by the dreamtime creatures .
This big bugger is supposed to have carved out the valleys , built up the mountains and in doing so imparted its energy into the landscape . This energy gave rise to the people and animals that inhabit the country .

They also believed that it left tracks or " dreaming trails " accross the country , which they could follow .
And these people are the finest trackers in the world , so if they say they can see tracks , I believe them .

The other part of their mythology was the belief in a creation world which is known as "the dreaming ".
This world existed before and runs parallel to the one we occupy .

So Athiest , what if the first dude that I struck in the death world was an aboriginal "witch doctor" and through him I learned to read the dreaming tracks and understand their legends , and I photographed what I saw .

Wagyl
Old 1st February 2007, 03:10 AM   #197
Reno
Inquisitor

Originally Posted by Bubblefish View Post
brown lady or john edwards

It's Browne and it's Edward.

You can spot them a mile away.

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2007, 06:45 AM   #198
GzuzKryzt
Philosopher

blah
blah
blah
Epilogues #0000000000000000000000000000000000000020 to #0000000000000000000000000000000000000022.
Old 1st February 2007, 09:22 AM   #199
Big Al
Mage Questor

Originally Posted by GzuzKryzt View Post
Epilogues #0000000000000000000000000000000000000020 to #0000000000000000000000000000000000000022.
Hey, Gzuz, would you mind awfully not doing that? I'm finding it just a leetle irritating.

For my part, I'm just agog to hear why the Australian Aborigines' mythos is so much more believable than those of the Ancient Sumerians, the Hebrews, the Babylonians, the Mayans, the Romans and so on.

So why not enlighten us poor earthbound mortals, Buzz? How did only the Aborigines get it right while everybody else got it wrong?
Old 1st February 2007, 09:41 AM   #200
jond
Illuminator

Hmmm. And here I was thinking the Atlanteans had it right, now I find out it was the Aborigines? My world is shattered.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology