IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 07:32 PM   #81
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
Jeff Corey, I am not harassing you.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 08:20 PM   #82
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic
 
Jeff Corey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,714
I am not harassing you either. It was just a friendly query about your attempt to achieve an acceptable grade in the class you were so persecuted in last year that resulted in you getting a GPA lower than you had claimed so proudly that prompted your threat. So don't send me any more PMs that threaten to report me.
Get it?
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 08:28 PM   #83
GeeMack
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,235
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
Two of the medical substances I have never encountered before, and I am not sure about how to identify the others. I feel that I can not conclude anything on Pup's test other than that I would love to be able to follow it through but need the reference material.

So once again you demonstrate that you are an utter failure at accomplishing the things you've claimed to be able to do. I would offer a couple of the most likely explanations as to why you continue to claim these abilities even in the face of substantial evidence that you have none. Oddly though, you've somehow been given the protection of the mods here and such legitimate speculation is off limits. But if it were anyone else but you, Anita, I'd say the evidence suggests they are mentally ill or suffering from some sort of hallucinations.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 09:39 PM   #84
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic
 
Jeff Corey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,714
Oh, no don't even hint at that. It is much more parsimonious to posit that she does not tell the truth.
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:08 PM   #85
Uncayimmy
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,345
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
Yes Hon, it is perfectly ok to post private PM material here on the Forum. Here's an example:
Check the FAQ. E-mail, like all writing, has an automatic copyright by the creator. The FAQ here advises that it only be reprinted in the interests of fair use, which is a very tricky area of law. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to post the contents. You can, of course, paraphrase and quote as needed.

Now, if somebody says not to send them PMs and advises you that they will reprint them, then arguably you make a tacit agreement for publication if you PM that person.

More importantly, your personal dramas with other members of the board should stay private. If you think you are being harassed, report the post to the moderators. If you have a PM you consider harassing, send it a moderator via PM.

It's off-topic to have this kind of bickering because it has nothing to do with your study protocol. Neither does this post for that matter, but I'm speaking up now so it doesn't become a train wreck by the time the moderators get a chance to review this thread. I don't want it to be closed like the original VFF thread.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:15 PM   #86
Jeff Corey
New York Skeptic
 
Jeff Corey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,714
OK by me, read this tomorrow,
Jeff Corey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:27 PM   #87
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
Originally Posted by GeeMack
So once again you demonstrate that you are an utter failure at accomplishing the things you've claimed to be able to do. I would offer a couple of the most likely explanations as to why you continue to claim these abilities even in the face of substantial evidence that you have none. Oddly though, you've somehow been given the protection of the mods here and such legitimate speculation is off limits. But if it were anyone else but you, Anita, I'd say the evidence suggests they are mentally ill or suffering from some sort of hallucinations.
Well, GeeMack, there are five medicine samples given to me by Pup and they fall into two general categories based on their medicinal effects: allergy medicines, and general pain or antiinflammatory medicines. So that presents one problem. Another problem is that I am asked to identify the samples by name, whereas when I perceive vibrational information (that I then translate into physical significance) it won't spell out to me commercial names such as "Aspirin!" but rather a feeling of what the medicine is all about. I would require a reference sample to compare with, just like if you go to a foreign country where you don't speak the language and you are presented with five different colors on a vision test and you have to match these with that language's names for those colors - you couldn't do it! You'd ask for a reference. Or a translation. So there.

The claim that I am here to discuss and am having tested is detection and description of health information, and I have valid reasons to proceed with it. And we all have the protection of the mods. I couldn't harass you either not that I would want to. And GeeMack, my experience of medical perceptions has no symptoms of being mental illness. It is most likely some form of synesthesia, and it is very interesting since I have so far had very compelling correlation with actual health information and not had a single case of verified inaccuracy. Which is why I am investigating this. Even if slowly which brings about unbearable impatience in some of you.

And GeeMack, if of course this investigation and tests reveal that there is no significant correlation between what I experience and with actual real world information, then of course I would consider that it could be the case of hallucination. But even at that, I'd not be worried, since these medical perceptions are no more alarming than when you look at a painting and feel an emotion or impression based on it, or when you hear a song and you see a memory of what you did in the past. Information linkage. One thing associates to another. Nothing to worry about. So there, GeeMack.

Synesthesia. Or extrasensory ability. Which do you think it is, GeeMack?
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:28 PM   #88
fromdownunder
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,673
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
fromdownunder,

Yes Hon, [snip]
I am beginning to understand why some people respond to you the way they do.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:40 PM   #89
Uncayimmy
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,345
From your notes:

Quote:
Now people are just these visual images of people, with a current of flowing air, thick block, where I see the individual air molecules swirling around as they are displaced in a net flow to the left.
Is this the first time you have ever seen individual air molecules? Specifically, which molecules did you see? Can we use this to create a test?

Quote:
Note: I confirm that black people are harder. They have fewer health problems and their tissues & internal chemicals chemistry etc. is different. I'm less experienced
In what way do blacks have different tissues and internal chemicals? Blacks do not have fewer health problems. In the USA they have more health problems than whites. See http://www.blackhealthcare.com/BHC/H...tatistics1.asp.

Quote:
young man ~20, spiky hairstyle, slender. Internal ear problem due to past exposure to loud sound/music. Not ringing, but the internal ear parts've been pushed inwards due to pressurewave/soundblast.
Please elaborate. What internal ear parts are pushed inwards?

Quote:
I confirm that I feel like the vision comes from the vibration/motion of molecules of tissue. I felt like my vision eye transmitted a beam that begun to move vibrate/rotate the molecules of a man's lung tissue when I looked deep into his chest for 3 sec.
On what basis did you conclude that you transmit some beam from your vision eye, whatever that is?

Overall, I would say that you wasted your time.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:46 PM   #90
Uncayimmy
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,345
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
And GeeMack, if of course this investigation and tests reveal that there is no significant correlation between what I experience and with actual real world information, then of course I would consider that it could be the case of hallucination. But even at that, I'd not be worried, since these medical perceptions are no more alarming than when you look at a painting and feel an emotion or impression based on it, or when you hear a song and you see a memory of what you did in the past. Information linkage. One thing associates to another. Nothing to worry about. So there, GeeMack.

Synesthesia. Or extrasensory ability. Which do you think it is, GeeMack?
Once again, it is nothing at all like any case of synesthesia ever documented. Your descriptions do not match the diagnostic criteria for synesthesia. It's not that. Period.

As for your "feelings" you can say they are just feelings, but you have repeatedly stated that you have vivid imagery. Most recently in your survey notes you said you could see individual air molecules just like you have repeatedly stated you can view internal organs and zoom in on them to the molecular level. That is nothing like an emotional reaction to a painting.

It is neither synesthesia or some extrasensory ability. It's your vivid imagination combined with an inability to distinguish fantasy from reality.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st March 2009, 10:50 PM   #91
Jonquill
Critical Thinker
 
Jonquill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 392
I don't know why Anita always seems to make things so difficult, a lot of her survey notes are about how she doesn't feel comfortable looking at people. Sure I wouldn't enjoy staring rudely at people either but I think it would be pretty easy to go to a public place and get a good long look at people from the back or the side with out them being aware that you were watching them. It's not as though people can feel you looking at them.
Jonquill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:09 AM   #92
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
UncaYimmy,
I will type up some comments and conclusions about my survey which should answer these questions that I knew were UpcomingTM.
Quote:
Is this the first time you have ever seen individual air molecules? Specifically, which molecules did you see? Can we use this to create a test?
I have seen individual air molecules before. Years ago, before I had the knowledge that nitrogen comes as a molecule of two joint nitrogen atoms in air, I had the experience of seeing a nitrogen molecule, with the typical neon green I always see nitrogen and as a pair of two atoms! It contradicted with what my prior belief or assumption would have been at that time. Of course I could have had subconscious knowledge, but here's how I've explained this to you before with whether I could have known that a vasectomy involved the removal of tissue,
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling
Let me bring this up again: If I were on Who Wants To Be A Millionare? and it is the last, million dollar question, I have done 50/50, and all that remains is: "Vasectomy involves... an incision, or the removal of tissue?" I use all my knowledge and all my might, and I answer "incision", and lose the million dollars. I assure you I was under the assumption that a vasectomy involves an incision.
The same would have happened back then had I been asked whether nitrogen in air is one atom or two atoms each. Of course now as a Chemistry major I definitely know better. But yes, I've perceived air molecules before. But I don't often.

If the air quality in a room becomes bad, ie. if people are breathing in it and there is no exchange with fresh air, I perceive a build-up of carbon dioxide which looks black and red. Yes I can definitely conceive tests to check whether my perception of air molecules correlates with actual information or whether these are impressions subjective to me. I'd love to find out which is the case, even if that doesn't touch my main claim.
Quote:
In what way do blacks have different tissues and internal chemicals? Blacks do not have fewer health problems. In the USA they have more health problems than whites.
Well, according to my perceptions I perceive that in general and among what I have been exposed to, black people would have better health than white people. I don't make conclusions based on that, this is simply what I perceive. Alright, here it is:

I perceive that the bodies of black people would react very differently to having an open flesh-wound than would white people. That they have a much stronger system that produces the sticky yellow liquid that washes, seals, dries, and protects a wound.

I perceive that black people have much fewer different types of chemicals in the body than do white people. Enzymes, perhaps. The variety of chemicals in white people's blood and tissues is much more diverse. According to my perception.

I hate to say it but I perceive that black people in general would have a shorter lifespan.

I hate to say it but I perceive a much larger variety of health problems and also of genetic problems and structural abnormalities in white people than I do in black people. Thus black people being healthier with this regard.

I perceive that black people would be more prone to ankle arthritis or ankle problems, whereas white people would be more prone to wrist arthritis or wrist problems.

But in my perception, most other things are quite the same!
Quote:
Please elaborate. What internal ear parts are pushed inwards?
Slightly affected the ear drum but mainly affected one of the pointy structures behind the eardrum, either the malleus, the incus or the stapes but not affected the vestibular system, cochlea, or other deeper embedded structures.
Quote:
On what basis did you conclude that you transmit some beam from your vision eye, whatever that is?
Because in my perception, the small-scale material of the lung tissue begun to vibrate differently due to the interaction with an incoming and interfering beam of some sort from outside the body, and it happened in the regions that I was targeting. I could perceive that surrounding tissue was not reacting this way. This is a mystery. I won't even try to offer an explanation to what this means, or doesn't mean. And I don't think it matters. I'm more interested now in what I can do. Not how it would come about.
Quote:
Overall, I would say that you wasted your time.
I would say that I gained more experience with my medical perceptions. I learned that I need a room that is not drafty, where the air is normal room temperature or slightly warmer and not cool like at a mall entrance. I got the beginnings of a rough estimate of how often I perceive something in a random sample of people and relation to the demographics of people. Confirmation that I being from Northern Europe do not have much experience with perceiving black people's tissue and that I would prefer all Caucasian on my paranormal test. An idea of how many seconds I need to form images. Distance between me and the persons that is required. What would be distractions, so that I don't have to go all the way to Hollywood and encounter previously unimaginable distractions and tell the IIG that I can't do it. And much more. It was a good little survey. I might have another one.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:47 AM   #93
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
UncaYimmy,
Quote:
Once again, it is nothing at all like any case of synesthesia ever documented. Your descriptions do not match the diagnostic criteria for synesthesia. It's not that. Period.
Well, it is some form of association. I perceive something when I look at people, and I experience it as being vibrational information that is felt, which then translates into images, texture, and other forms of information.
Quote:
As for your "feelings" you can say they are just feelings, but you have repeatedly stated that you have vivid imagery. Most recently in your survey notes you said you could see individual air molecules just like you have repeatedly stated you can view internal organs and zoom in on them to the molecular level. That is nothing like an emotional reaction to a painting.
To encounter one form of information and to associate it automatically to information of another form that is experienced.
Quote:
It is neither synesthesia or some extrasensory ability. It's your vivid imagination combined with an inability to distinguish fantasy from reality.
I do not automatically assume my perceptions to be reality. It's just that I've experienced correlation between the medical information I have and with actual health information. Not because I would be unable to distinguish fantasy from reality, but because of it being confirmed by other means.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 01:10 AM   #94
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
Look what I found while I was looking for a certain earlier post (that I ended up not finding) in the ol' thread,
Quote:
If the picture on your website is of you, I'm going to say that, well, I wouldn't kick you out of bed for eating crackers.
Or, how about eating pepparkakor?

Jonquill,
Quote:
I don't know why Anita always seems to make things so difficult, a lot of her survey notes are about how she doesn't feel comfortable looking at people. Sure I wouldn't enjoy staring rudely at people either but I think it would be pretty easy to go to a public place and get a good long look at people from the back or the side with out them being aware that you were watching them. It's not as though people can feel you looking at them.
Well... it depends. It depends if you are doing cacakoka.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:30 AM   #95
chillzero
Penultimate Amazing
 
chillzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,558
Mod WarningPlease keep this thread on topic or it will be set to moderated status or closed.

To the question of PMs, it is usually frowned on as poor 'nettiquette' to reveal the contents of a PM (unless proving someone has been lying), but it is not a breach of the MA - unless there is personal information (name, email address...) contained in that PM.

In this specific case though, I fail to see the relevance to the topic of this thread, so I do not expect to see any further similar PMs printed here. Further posting of similar PMs will be considered flamebaiting and will most likely incur mod action. Keep the thread on topic from now on.

ETA: PMs can be reported like any post, so PMs you consider to be harrssment, or attacks should be reported to the mods for action.
Posted By:chillzero

Last edited by chillzero; 22nd March 2009 at 02:31 AM.
chillzero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 04:48 AM   #96
Ashles
Pith Artist
 
Ashles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The '80s
Posts: 8,692
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
And GeeMack, if of course this investigation and tests reveal that there is no significant correlation between what I experience and with actual real world information, then of course I would consider that it could be the case of hallucination. But even at that, I'd not be worried, since these medical perceptions are no more alarming than when you look at a painting and feel an emotion or impression based on it, or when you hear a song and you see a memory of what you did in the past. Information linkage. One thing associates to another.
No that would not be a comparable concept.
In the two examples you provide there would be a meaningful linkage of information based on real information (memory or deliberate artistic intent).
But if "this investigation and tests reveal that there is no significant correlation between what I experience and with actual real world information" the there is no meaningful linkage.
It would just be imagination/hallucination or simply incorrect guessing.
I reiterate this because you still seem unclear as to this.

Quote:
Synesthesia. Or extrasensory ability. Which do you think it is, GeeMack?
Or hallucination/imagination/guesswork. You are providing an incoreect binary list of possibilities, while ignore the more mundane ones.

Sometimes you appear to understand this and other times not, it's a little confusing.
__________________
With extraordinary few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat. - Jeffrey Burton Russell
It is obvious to any scientist that the bumblebee can fly because experiment proves it. - Zetie 1996
Ashles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 05:51 AM   #97
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,685
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post

<some content has been removed from this quotation of the original post in order to preserve focus and maintain relevance to the point that I wish to address>


Synesthesia. Or extrasensory ability. Which do you think it is, GeeMack?

Anita, you're much smarter than this. The above question of yours is presenting a false dichotomy, and I'm sure you're aware of it. How have you eliminated ALL other explanations for your perceived ability?
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon

Last edited by Akhenaten; 22nd March 2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: grammar
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 06:21 AM   #98
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
Anita, you're much smarter than this. The above question of yours is presenting a false dichotomy, and I'm sure you're aware of it. How have you eliminated ALL other explanations for your perceived ability?
She hasnt, she knows it and she knows she has no intention of ever doing so.

What she has done is convince a good number of people that somewhere there is some legitimacy to what she is doing and taking the heat for various failings on her part. Thats how "they" work and why people who engage in scams more often than not engage "intelligent" people because they are easier to fool due to the fact that they wont see beyond their own reliance on their intelligence.

She is stalling and milking the cow. She has had ample time to do her "study" (IF she ever intended to) but she hasnt. She has had ample opportunity to act on the advice given but she hasnt. She has had ample opportunity to explain in detail but she hasnt. She refuses to accept any test that will produce a valid result and disprove her claim.

She talks in circles and "explains away" and never actually does or accomplishes anything of any merit.

She has achieved one of her goals tho- she has people "beliveing" she is a victim of whatever failing they believe she has. ( false belief, not educated enough, hiding from the "truth" et al)

In reality, everything but the obvious truth. This was and is a deliberate and calculated fraud.

There never will be a study or a result. If that happened, the game is over.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 06:50 AM   #99
GeeMack
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,235
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
Well, GeeMack, there are five medicine samples given to me by Pup and they fall into two general categories based on their medicinal effects: allergy medicines, and general pain or antiinflammatory medicines. So that presents one problem. Another problem is that I am asked to identify the samples by name, whereas when I perceive vibrational information (that I then translate into physical significance) it won't spell out to me commercial names such as "Aspirin!" but rather a feeling of what the medicine is all about. I would require a reference sample to compare with, just like if you go to a foreign country where you don't speak the language and you are presented with five different colors on a vision test and you have to match these with that language's names for those colors - you couldn't do it! You'd ask for a reference. Or a translation. So there.

So there? You are unable to do what you claimed you could. You have failed.

Quote:
The claim that I am here to discuss and am having tested is detection and description of health information, and I have valid reasons to proceed with it. And we all have the protection of the mods. I couldn't harass you either not that I would want to. And GeeMack, my experience of medical perceptions has no symptoms of being mental illness.

Interestingly enough, several members of this forum who seem to better understand the issue than you have noted otherwise.

Quote:
It is most likely some form of synesthesia, and it is very interesting since I have so far had very compelling correlation with actual health information and not had a single case of verified inaccuracy.

There's that repeated lie that everyone else here sees but you don't. The fact that you can lie with such impunity and express such complete lack of awareness that you are indeed lying is that symptom of mental illness that many of us recognize. Pretty much the only rational alternative is that you do know you're lying. And of course that leads to the other most accepted hypothesis, that you're trying to pull some kind of a scam.

Quote:
Which is why I am investigating this. Even if slowly which brings about unbearable impatience in some of you.

And the lack of any advances whatsoever in your claimed effort to determine the cause of your problem actually serves to support the alternative explanations. It's not impatience, Anita, because nobody here actually expects you to ever carry through with any legitimate study or test. No, it's not impatience. It's pity.

Quote:
And GeeMack, if of course this investigation and tests reveal that there is no significant correlation between what I experience and with actual real world information, then of course I would consider that it could be the case of hallucination.

So far every effort you've made, albeit feeble efforts with crappy designs and intentional reluctance to actually determine the cause of your problem, has shown that "there is no significant correlation between what you experience and with actual real world information." So now, because you said you would, will you consider that it could be hallucinations?

Quote:
But even at that, I'd not be worried, since these medical perceptions are no more alarming than when you look at a painting and feel an emotion or impression based on it, or when you hear a song and you see a memory of what you did in the past. Information linkage. One thing associates to another. Nothing to worry about. So there, GeeMack.

Another untrue comment followed by, "So there?" Did you go to the Michael Mozina School of Scientific Studies?

Quote:
Synesthesia. Or extrasensory ability. Which do you think it is, GeeMack?

Since you ask, I think it's some sort of mental illness that makes you a compulsive liar, or perhaps you're subject to hallucinations from some environmental or physiological cause. Possibly you're setting up some sort of a scam, but that seems fairly unlikely to me, even though others have described a reasonable body of evidence to support that hypothesis. The fact that you contradict yourself, state outright falsehoods, seem to be oblivious to the fact that you are lying, and clearly have no intention of finding out what the real problem is, are all factors that support my notion. Absolutely nothing supports your notion that you have some kind of extra-sensory ability to perceive anything.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:14 AM   #100
Moochie
Philosopher
 
Moochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,491
Originally Posted by LONGTABBER PE View Post

<snip>

What she has done is convince a good number of people that somewhere there is some legitimacy to what she is doing and taking the heat for various failings on her part. Thats how "they" work and why people who engage in scams more often than not engage "intelligent" people because they are easier to fool due to the fact that they wont see beyond their own reliance on their intelligence.

She is stalling and milking the cow. She has had ample time to do her "study" (IF she ever intended to) but she hasnt. She has had ample opportunity to act on the advice given but she hasnt. She has had ample opportunity to explain in detail but she hasnt. She refuses to accept any test that will produce a valid result and disprove her claim.

<snip>

Yeah, I have had the impression she was sort of "stroking the forum" for some time now.


M.

Last edited by Moochie; 22nd March 2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added text.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:00 AM   #101
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
Yeah, I have had the impression she was sort of "stroking the forum" for some time now.


M.
Thats basically it.

Lawyers and Politicians use the same technique. They tell their story their way with the information they want you to have. When questioned, they neer answer directly but use a variety of methods such as obfuscation, answering something not asked or making the strawman answer or when all else fails, the Chewbacca defense.

This isnt a "study" of paranormal claims- its an exercise in Pavlov's dog.

She wants attention and possibly some future goal and this forum and its ancillary orgs is where she is getting it.

Her methods of deception are deliberate and her comments skillfully crafted to keep the fires burning while saying and producing absolutely nothing.

She has people feeling sorry for her for some perceived possible mental condition. ( the sympathy card) She has control of those who continually post to challenge her and get frustrated when she doesnt do the obvious. ( she is manipulating them and has "the power")

She has no ability. She knows it. She refuses all legitimate attempts to verify it. She "goes along with the process" by coming up with a "non test" and calling it a "test". ( we used to call that coattailing on legitimacy)

She then spends tens of thousands of words that say and answer nothing and ignores challenges when cornered.

Yeah, theres a "study" going on right now but its not about her paranormal ability- its about her ability to goad the masses.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:06 AM   #102
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling
Synesthesia. Or extrasensory ability. Which do you think it is, GeeMack?
Originally Posted by Ashles
Or hallucination/imagination/guesswork. You are providing an incoreect binary list of possibilities, while ignore the more mundane ones.
Originally Posted by Akhenaten
Anita, you're much smarter than this. The above question of yours is presenting a false dichotomy, and I'm sure you're aware of it. How have you eliminated ALL other explanations for your perceived ability?
I did it like a joke. GeeMack loves to say,

And as far as I can tell, everyone has come to the conclusion that you're either seriously mentally ill, or that you're simply a liar.
Which do you think it is, Anita?

So I did my version of binary possibilities. Why can't I have fun? Of course I consider other possible explanations.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:09 AM   #103
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
I did it like a joke. GeeMack loves to say,

And as far as I can tell, everyone has come to the conclusion that you're either seriously mentally ill, or that you're simply a liar.
Which do you think it is, Anita?

So I did my version of binary possibilities. Why can't I have fun? Of course I consider other possible explanations.
What are those "other" possibilities?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:11 AM   #104
Pup
Philosopher
 
Pup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,679
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
Well, GeeMack, there are five medicine samples given to me by Pup and they fall into two general categories based on their medicinal effects: allergy medicines, and general pain or antiinflammatory medicines.
Actually, three categories: two pain/antiinflammatory, two allergy and one antacid.

So please tell us which are in which categories, even if you can't tell the two allergy medicines apart, for example.

If you can do what you claim to be able to do, why can't you do that?

Quote:
Another problem is that I am asked to identify the samples by name, whereas when I perceive vibrational information (that I then translate into physical significance) it won't spell out to me commercial names such as "Aspirin!" but rather a feeling of what the medicine is all about.
See my post here. You've already mentioned that you're familiar with calcium carbonate, one of the medicines. Several people have also already suggested easy ways to "see" samples of the other medicines, though they might not be the same brand, color or size as the pills I used.

Last edited by Pup; 22nd March 2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: fix html
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:23 AM   #105
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
LONGTABBER PE,
Originally Posted by Ashles
How have you eliminated ALL other explanations for your perceived ability?
Originally Posted by LONGTABBER PE
She hasnt, she knows it and she knows she has no intention of ever doing so.
Of course there are other possible explanations to my so far compellingly accurate medical perceptions (*anecdotal evidence only, no verified evidence available yet). But part of my investigation is to find out how they come about and what is the source of information, so I do intend to eliminate several possibilities.

Quote:
What she has done is convince a good number of people that somewhere there is some legitimacy to what she is doing and taking the heat for various failings on her part. Thats how "they" work and why people who engage in scams more often than not engage "intelligent" people because they are easier to fool due to the fact that they wont see beyond their own reliance on their intelligence.
I don't try to convince anyone that there is legitimacy, since I can not offer any formal evidence of this yet. What I do try to convince you all is that I believe I have evidence that I have witnessed and experienced, and that I have reason to do all of this. There have been no failings on my part. There is no scam.

Quote:
She is stalling and milking the cow. She has had ample time to do her "study" (IF she ever intended to) but she hasnt. She has had ample opportunity to act on the advice given but she hasnt. She has had ample opportunity to explain in detail but she hasnt. She refuses to accept any test that will produce a valid result and disprove her claim.
I am not stalling on purpose. I had to obtain permission from the government before I proceed with having a study in a public area. I wanted to explain what I will be doing and where and check that it is permissible. I was not going to go out and bring with me people who participate in it with me and then have someone approach us and say that we can't do it and are in trouble and as the organizer of this event I take responsibility in ensuring that all necessary permits are in order. And now I am waiting for Thursday so that I can try to recruit some Skeptics from FACT. So let's wait until Thursday.

I do not refuse a test. I am working toward a test. In fact I would have a test today if I could.

Quote:
She talks in circles and "explains away" and never actually does or accomplishes anything of any merit.
True.

Quote:
In reality, everything but the obvious truth. This was and is a deliberate and calculated fraud.
Heh. Oh if they knew that I have been entirely sincere throughout! I'm just describing my actual experiences!

Quote:
There never will be a study or a result. If that happened, the game is over.
There WILL be a study. There WILL be a result. The game is over when this investigation reaches a final conclusion.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:40 AM   #106
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
LOL. There is no scam. There is no lie. There is no mental illness. You sillies. I'm describing an authentic experience I have of perceiving health information when I look at people, and I am investigating it, even if slowly and to the great impatience of you all.

Originally Posted by tsig
You already involved your university when you talked to your professors. Do I detect a threat in that mass of whine? If you want your personal life to be private why do you publish so much of it here?
I've confided in four professors who I felt I could trust and whose areas of specialty are somewhat related to what I claim to experience. It is a far leap from that to actually involving everyone into that. Oh who am I kidding, if I ever lose a career opportunity because of this, then I wouldn't want to work with such people or with such things anyway.

Originally Posted by tsig
What are those "other" possibilities?
Here are some that are not possibilities:
Deliberate lie
Scam
Fraud
Hoax

Here are some possibilities:
Synesthesia: I see external symptoms and it translates into images and other health information
Extrasensory perception, who knows
Subjective impressions that are triggered from seeing people that translate into sensory experience of things that are not related to real-world information

Pup, alright I'll look into the medical samples again. I'm not at that house at the moment so I'll get back with you on that.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:49 AM   #107
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru
 
Czarcasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
Here are some that are not possibilities:
Deliberate lie
Scam
Fraud
Hoax

Here are some possibilities:
Synesthesia: I see external symptoms and it translates into images and other health information
Extrasensory perception, who knows
Subjective impressions that are triggered from seeing people that translate into sensory experience of things that are not related to real-world information
If we consider the first four possibilities, and you consider the last three possibilities, then all the bases are covered, right?
__________________
The sun is out, the birds are singing and all is right with the world.
I loooove my meds!
Czarcasm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:50 AM   #108
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh
 
Akhenaten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pi-Broadford, Australia
Posts: 29,685
Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Why continue? Y'all probably wouldn't give the time of day to someone like Anita if she strolled into your office and started yammering about vibrational algebra.

I was thinking that there is a great disturbance in the Force at the moment, with a number of Serious Distractions™ operating in various threads, and I was hoping that this might lead Anita to an Epiphany™ in which she realised the sparsity of her claims and decided to join the Rebel Alliance skeptics.


Alas!


Also, your avatar rocks.
__________________


Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 09:57 AM   #109
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
LOL. There is no scam. There is no lie. There is no mental illness. You sillies. I'm describing an authentic experience I have of perceiving health information when I look at people, and I am investigating it, even if slowly and to the great impatience of you all.

I've confided in four professors who I felt I could trust and whose areas of specialty are somewhat related to what I claim to experience. It is a far leap from that to actually involving everyone into that. Oh who am I kidding, if I ever lose a career opportunity because of this, then I wouldn't want to work with such people or with such things anyway.

Here are some that are not possibilities:
Deliberate lie
Scam
Fraud
Hoax

Here are some possibilities:
Synesthesia: I see external symptoms and it translates into images and other health information
Extrasensory perception, who knows
Subjective impressions that are triggered from seeing people that translate into sensory experience of things that are not related to real-world information

Pup, alright I'll look into the medical samples again. I'm not at that house at the moment so I'll get back with you on that.

I'll take door #1 Anita.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:01 AM   #110
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
If we consider the first four possibilities, and you consider the last three possibilities, then all the bases are covered, right?
Well a Hoax, scam or a fraud are deliberate lies so her four become one.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:02 AM   #111
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
tsig... it really isn't a lie. So don't take that door, it's the wrong one.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:06 AM   #112
Czarcasm
Groovy Groovy Guru
 
Czarcasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,079
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
tsig... it really isn't a lie. So don't take that door, it's the wrong one.
Because if you were lying, you'd tell us, right?
__________________
The sun is out, the birds are singing and all is right with the world.
I loooove my meds!
Czarcasm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:10 AM   #113
VisionFromFeeling
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,361
What is so unbelievably unacceptable about the claim of perceiving automatic and involuntary images of tissue when looking at a body? Heck, some most guys'll look at a woman and get automatic and involuntary images of what her surface looks like. I just go deeper than that. (Note: It is not the same thing. I'm just joking. Besides, just in case someone is wondering - and I'm sure some of you are - I mostly look at the liver, heart, prostate and lungs in men. And *nothing else*. )

But I can, if I sense a health problem. You know how some people have aluminum hats to keep others from reading their thoughts telepathically. I bet I'll have people wearing aluminum underwear now.

I hold great respect for people's integrity. I do see, feel, and detect plenty of personal health information. It doesn't bother me, and after working three years as a practical nurse I do regard myself as health care staff so it all takes place in a most professional manner and mind-set.


Last edited by VisionFromFeeling; 22nd March 2009 at 10:26 AM.
VisionFromFeeling is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:25 AM   #114
tsig
a carbon based life-form
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 39,049
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
What is so unbelievably unacceptable about the claim of perceiving automatic and involuntary images of tissue when looking at a body? Heck, some most guys'll look at a woman and get automatic and involuntary images of what her surface looks like. I just go deeper than that. (Note: It is not the same thing. I'm just joking. Besides, just in case someone is wondering - and I'm sure some of you are - I mostly look at the liver, heart, prostate and lungs in men. And *nothing else*. )
I's not the claim, it's the absolute lack of any corroborating evidence.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:36 AM   #115
LONGTABBER PE
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,528
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
LONGTABBER PE,

Of course there are other possible explanations to my so far compellingly accurate medical perceptions (*anecdotal evidence only, no verified evidence available yet). But part of my investigation is to find out how they come about and what is the source of information, so I do intend to eliminate several possibilities.

I don't try to convince anyone that there is legitimacy, since I can not offer any formal evidence of this yet. What I do try to convince you all is that I believe I have evidence that I have witnessed and experienced, and that I have reason to do all of this. There have been no failings on my part. There is no scam.

I am not stalling on purpose. I had to obtain permission from the government before I proceed with having a study in a public area. I wanted to explain what I will be doing and where and check that it is permissible. I was not going to go out and bring with me people who participate in it with me and then have someone approach us and say that we can't do it and are in trouble and as the organizer of this event I take responsibility in ensuring that all necessary permits are in order. And now I am waiting for Thursday so that I can try to recruit some Skeptics from FACT. So let's wait until Thursday.

I do not refuse a test. I am working toward a test. In fact I would have a test today if I could.

True.

Heh. Oh if they knew that I have been entirely sincere throughout! I'm just describing my actual experiences!

There WILL be a study. There WILL be a result. The game is over when this investigation reaches a final conclusion.
>>>Of course there are other possible explanations to my so far compellingly accurate UNSUBSTANTIATED medical perceptions (*anecdotal evidence only, no verified evidence available yet). But part of my investigation is to find out how they come about and what is the source of information, so I do intend to eliminate several possibilities.

Try that crap with someone who doesnt see right thru you. ( thats "my" vibrational analysis- the funny thing is that I'm actually certified in "vibration analysis")

Your investigation is a ruse

>>>I don't try to convince anyone that there is legitimacy, since I can not offer any formal evidence of this yet. What I do try to convince you all is that I believe I have evidence that I have witnessed and experienced, and that I have reason to do all of this. There have been no failings on my part. There is no scam.

There is no "convincing" without PRODUCTION and what you do is WAFFLE. ( a "scientific term" meaning to speak endlessly and say nothing) There also have been no "successes" on your part either.

>>>I am not stalling on purpose.

Ahh, one of those "statement analysis" Freudian slips. You admit to "stalling". I know you are. I know why.

>>>I had to obtain permission from the government before I proceed with having a study in a public area. I wanted to explain what I will be doing and where and check that it is permissible.

You do realize you are talking to a former investigator who knows better right? There are a thousand ways you could do this. You just employed another stall tactic to build suspense for your NON production.

>>>I was not going to go out and bring with me people who participate in it with me and then have someone approach us and say that we can't do it and are in trouble and as the organizer of this event I take responsibility in ensuring that all necessary permits are in order. And now I am waiting for Thursday so that I can try to recruit some Skeptics from FACT. So let's wait until Thursday.

More endless drivel saying nothing. You can wait until hell freezes over and you still will be lying and obfuscating trying to keep the attention on you while promulgating your scam.

>>>I do not refuse a test. I am working toward a test. In fact I would have a test today if I could.

"if you wish upon a star..." You are working on nothing. Your non answer reminds me of the old butcher's joke.

The lady walks in and asks the price of steak and the butcher says 1.19 a lb. She says the butcher down the street has it for .79 a lb but hes out. The butcher replies: "Well maam, when I'm out I advertise it for .60 a lb."

You wont have a LEGITIMATE test. You know it and so do I. Your own performance,stalling and obfuscating is more than enough proof of that.

>>>Heh. Oh if they knew that I have been entirely sincere throughout! I'm just describing my actual experiences!

Yeah, like Stephen King and his dreams- good fiction.

>>>There WILL be a study. There WILL be a result. The game is over when this investigation reaches a final conclusion

Its over now actually. In a few more months of your non production, it will become obvious as to what you are doing even to those who still hold out hope.
LONGTABBER PE is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:57 AM   #116
Moochie
Philosopher
 
Moochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,491
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
LOL. There is no scam. There is no lie. There is no mental illness. You sillies. I'm describing an authentic experience I have of perceiving health information when I look at people, and I am investigating it, even if slowly and to the great impatience of you all.

I've confided in four professors who I felt I could trust and whose areas of specialty are somewhat related to what I claim to experience. It is a far leap from that to actually involving everyone into that. Oh who am I kidding, if I ever lose a career opportunity because of this, then I wouldn't want to work with such people or with such things anyway.

Here are some that are not possibilities:
Deliberate lie
Scam
Fraud
Hoax

Here are some possibilities:
Synesthesia: I see external symptoms and it translates into images and other health information
Extrasensory perception, who knows
Subjective impressions that are triggered from seeing people that translate into sensory experience of things that are not related to real-world information

Pup, alright I'll look into the medical samples again. I'm not at that house at the moment so I'll get back with you on that.

I must hand it you, ma'am, for perseverance in the face of overwhelming indifference.


M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:04 AM   #117
Ashles
Pith Artist
 
Ashles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The '80s
Posts: 8,692
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
LONGTABBER PE,

Of course there are other possible explanations to my so far compellingly accurate medical perceptions (*anecdotal evidence only, no verified evidence available yet). But part of my investigation is to find out how they come about and what is the source of information, so I do intend to eliminate several possibilities.

I don't try to convince anyone that there is legitimacy, since I can not offer any formal evidence of this yet. What I do try to convince you all is that I believe I have evidence that I have witnessed and experienced, and that I have reason to do all of this. There have been no failings on my part. There is no scam.
If you want to convince people here of your genuine intent, this is really very simple to do. You actually detail actions not promises. Actions you have actually carried out.

You need to describe actual tests and results rather than what you 'intend' to do or what you 'had planned' to do or detail yet more irrelevant stories of why the world is against you and how cool you are and how you don't have time because of x, y, z etc.

At the moment nobody here believes you either about your claim (any of it) or your genuine intent to test it. Nobody.
You cannot convince anyone using only further posts. It's all just words.

We have happily let this topic fall off the front page several times. We don't really care by now.

If you were genuine you would let this subject go until you actually had something to report - the reults of an actual test.
That would be the first step toward attempting to convince us that at least you believe any of this.

In the complete absence of any testing we don't currently believe even that.

So why don't you try really hard to simply not post anything else to do with this claim until you have actual test results to report? Seriously.
Everything else you are posting is entirely irrelevant to the claim and not helping push this forward at all. In fact the opposite.
(But somehow I suspect you will be unable to restrain yourself)
__________________
With extraordinary few exceptions no educated person in the history of Western Civilization from the third century B.C. onward believed that the earth was flat. - Jeffrey Burton Russell
It is obvious to any scientist that the bumblebee can fly because experiment proves it. - Zetie 1996
Ashles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:06 AM   #118
GeeMack
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,235
Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
[...] my so far compellingly accurate medical perceptions (*anecdotal evidence only, no verified evidence available yet).

It's been quite clear for some time that you're repeating this lie deliberately, apparently for the purpose of getting a reaction. You can't possibly be stupid enough to think that anyone here believes you're being honest. Even you, Anita, if you were sane and rational, couldn't possibly believe it. So aside from the extremely well evidenced possibility that you are suffering from hallucinations or a mental health problem which manifests itself in delusions and compulsive lying, you are also, by definition, a troll.

And as desertgal said, since you do it by intent, you've don't deserve sympathy. You're worthy only of contempt and pity.

Quote:
But part of my investigation is to find out how they come about and what is the source of information, so I do intend to eliminate several possibilities.

When can we expect you to see a mental health professional for an evaluation, you know, to eliminate what seems to be the most likely possibility? Because after all, this thread is supposed to be about your "study". And any good science student studying an unexplained phenomena would put checking for the most obvious explanations at the top of their priority list.

Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling View Post
But I can, if I sense a health problem.

You can't sense a health problem, not even your own most obvious one.

Quote:
I hold great respect for people's integrity.

Except you haven't demonstrated that you know anything about integrity.

Quote:
I do see, feel, and detect plenty of personal health information.

No, you don't.

Quote:
It doesn't bother me, and after working three years as a practical nurse I do regard myself as health care staff so it all takes place in a most professional manner and mind-set.

Except you haven't demonstrated that you know anything about a professional manner. You regard yourself as a straight A student, too. And it's been proven that your assessment is wrong.

Originally Posted by LONGTABBER PE View Post
Its over now actually. In a few more months of your non production, it will become obvious as to what you are doing even to those who still hold out hope.

Does anyone still hold out hope? Anita was busted a long, long time ago. Even if she believed it herself at one time, by now she knows it's all bogus. The thread is about the results from the study, but the only study that's ever going to be done is the one she presented right here in this forum. We've been given 400+ posts to study the style of a self-deceived troll. The results of that study are in. VisionFromFeeling: Fail.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:12 AM   #119
Moochie
Philosopher
 
Moochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,491
Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post

<snip>

Also, your avatar rocks.

Seconded.


M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:39 AM   #120
dlorde
Philosopher
 
dlorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,859
Having browsed this thread a while, it seems clear to me that VisionFromFeeling seems convinced of her abilities. It also seems clear that she has little knowledge of the principles of scientific research, or human biology - both fields that are pretty much essential if she is serious about making productive use of the abilities she feels she has. If she knew anything about human biology, physiology and anatomy, she would frame her responses in terms of such an understanding, but that is not the case so far.

However, regarding the pill identification (I'm not sure about the details of this, but IIUIC she is supposed to identify what medicines are represented by a number of different crushed pill samples ?). The last response on this was "Another problem is that I am asked to identify the samples by name, whereas when I perceive vibrational information (that I then translate into physical significance) it won't spell out to me commercial names such as "Aspirin!" but rather a feeling of what the medicine is all about". It occurs to me that it would be possible to do a statistical test of this 'feeling', by having VisionFromFeeling give us as much information as she can about her feeling of 'what the medicine is all about' for each sample, then have us match this data with the actual descriptions of the medicines involved (exact matching protocol TBD). This would only be a very rough guide, but it would provide some indication if there was anything further to consider. If the descriptions of 'what the medicine is all about', are too vague or esoteric to allow a reasonable of match to the actual medical descriptions, we can be reasonably confident that what they describe is unlikely to be useful; if they can be compared, but don't match the medical descriptions, we can assume they're not useful, and if there is a significant matching of 'what the medicine is all about' with the medical description, we know there is something interesting. I know the stats can be done for such matches, but I don't have the expertise.

I can't see that the claims allow for anything more robust in the circumstances.

Last edited by dlorde; 22nd March 2009 at 11:42 AM.
dlorde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.