ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Anita Ikonen

Old 24th July 2010, 01:56 PM   #921
bookitty
Philosopher

Originally Posted by desertgal View Post
Now, just out of curiosity, and not in an effort to slam Anita, but you mentioned something earlier that, during TAM, Anita tended to continually bring conversations back to her claims. Were you referring to when she was meeting people in general, or just at the time of her "demonstration"?
She wandered the hallways quite a bit and spoke to many people. During these conversations, she would always come back to her claim. This was not always initiated by her directly, although her handmade "woo" badge probably had a lot to do with it. Sometimes it was merely her answer to the common question "How did you hear about TAM?"

It was a bit frustrating. She would mention that she was a physics student but only in the context of her claim. Really too bad. At TAM, that would have been so much more impressive than her claim.

To be perfectly clear, she wasn't a pest about it. TAM is very social and the conversations started up naturally.

Quote:
What a strange individual. Such is the nature of woosters, I suppose.
Exactly.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:59 PM   #922
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bookitty View Post
This was not always initiated by her directly, although her handmade "woo" badge probably had a lot to do with it.
Homemade woo badge?
Old 24th July 2010, 03:43 PM   #923
bookitty
Philosopher

Homemade woo badge?
She was wearing a pin-on badge that said something like "Anita Ikonen - Woo" in addition to her TAM badge. Which sounds really bad, except that it was presented more as a self-depreciating joke than any sort of braggadocio.

ETA: Although she has some problems, the girl really isn't all bad. Her main problem is that she has great difficulty dealing with people without some sort of prop, whether it be her claim or name-dropping some TAM luminary. But even with this social disorder she tries harder than anyone I've ever met. Without the right social tools, she fails and resorts to the childish tactics of attention-getting, exaggerating and flirting. She isn't lying when she says she's shy or that she feels betrayed because she thought someone was her friend.

Last edited by bookitty; 24th July 2010 at 03:53 PM.
bookitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2010, 03:55 PM   #924
Daylightstar
Philosopher

She was wearing a pin-on badge that said something like "Anita Ikonen - Woo" ...
To me this sounds like an attempted preemtive measure.
Old 24th July 2010, 04:07 PM   #925
desertgal
Illuminator

She was wearing a pin-on badge that said something like "Anita Ikonen - Woo" in addition to her TAM badge. Which sounds really bad, except that it was presented more as a self-depreciating joke than any sort of braggadocio.

ETA: Although she has some problems, the girl really isn't all bad. Her main problem is that she has great difficulty dealing with people without some sort of prop, whether it be her claim or name-dropping some TAM luminary. But even with this social disorder she tries harder than anyone I've ever met. Without the right social tools, she fails and resorts to the childish tactics of attention-getting, exaggerating and flirting. She isn't lying when she says she's shy or that she feels betrayed because she thought someone was her friend.
I believe you. I've no doubt that there are some deep seated insecurity and social disorder issues at work in Anita. But, since she rebuffs all attempts to reason and logic with her, and alienates people with her overwhelming arrogance, getting through to her seems to be a futile endeavor. My own opinion is that the only person who could help her is a mental health professional...but only if she would be honest with him/her. Since that is doubtful (although who knows-anything is possible), sad to say, she's a lost cause.
Old 24th July 2010, 04:26 PM   #926
bookitty
Philosopher

I believe you. I've no doubt that there are some deep seated insecurity and social disorder issues at work in Anita. But, since she rebuffs all attempts to reason and logic with her, and alienates people with her overwhelming arrogance, getting through to her seems to be a futile endeavor. My own opinion is that the only person who could help her is a mental health professional...but only if she would be honest with him/her. Since that is doubtful (although who knows-anything is possible), sad to say, she's a lost cause.
Yes, I agree, she does need therapy. I've seen her at her best and her worst. In both cases, she almost instinctively does whatever it takes to drive people away from her.

This isn't any rare disorder, many people have it to some degree. The only cure is to grow up enough to want to change. I wish I could say that Anita's good twin was ready for that but I have seen no evidence of it.
Old 26th July 2010, 06:56 PM   #927
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

I hate to link to her website, but these links are funny/informative. First, the funny. She just added what appears to be a poem in a box on this page: http://www.visionfromfeeling.com/paranormalclaim.html

Informative. At the bottom of this page: http://www.visionfromfeeling.com/tests.html, she attempts to respond to some posts here. Most of it's nonsense, but she attacks Akhenaten with accusations of being nosy and wrong for speculating on the status of her student visa.

She responds to some stuff that I have posted, but she does not call me nosy (which I am), nor wrong (which I'm probably not) about speculating that her next test will take place in Sweden or Finland.

That's what I find informative---by omission.

Ward
Old 26th July 2010, 09:08 PM   #928
Rougarou
Thinker

Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
my bolding
That would be quite an understatement. In my opinion ofcourse.
No doubt.

Yes, I agree, she does need therapy. I've seen her at her best and her worst. In both cases, she almost instinctively does whatever it takes to drive people away from her.

This isn't any rare disorder, many people have it to some degree. The only cure is to grow up enough to want to change. I wish I could say that Anita's good twin was ready for that but I have seen no evidence of it.
(bolding mine)

Not knowing Anita, I suspect the bolded part is more the case than any need for psychiatric help, as it probably is with a lot of people who seek attention here or elsewhere.
Rougarou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2010, 09:17 PM   #929
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Jeebus wept.

I've just read the page dealing with the upcoming gender test and if nothing else, it's allayed any remaining concerns that I may have had that she's attempting any kind of scam.

That ever-increasing mass of gibberish leaves very little doubt that she's utterly looney tunes.

Originally Posted by Passion for Failing
I am investigating this experience and wish to define its capabilities, which I now can almost safely assume to lie somewhere in the region between full falsification, and full verification - in the region where things are interesting, but not impressive or extreme.

A double degree in Physics and Chemistry? She shouldn't have been allowed to graduate from elementary school.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2010, 09:39 PM   #930
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by wardenclyffe View Post

Informative. At the bottom of this page: http://www.visionfromfeeling.com/tests.html, she attempts to respond to some posts here.
From that page:
Quote:
My money comes from working at a nursing home as a practical nurse.
Who else do we know who does that? OMG!! Anita is mayday...
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2010, 09:41 PM   #931
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post

(bolding mine)

Not knowing Anita, I suspect the bolded part is more the case than any need for psychiatric help, as it probably is with a lot of people who seek attention here or elsewhere.

True enough. She definitey needs to grow up, but she's not some dizzy teenager - she's (I think) 30 - so she's about as likely to suddenly get some maturity about herself as I am.

ie. Not.

Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2010, 09:48 PM   #932
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

Informative. At the bottom of this page: http://www.visionfromfeeling.com/tests.html, she attempts to respond to some posts here.

From that page:

Quote:

Who else do we know who does that? OMG!! Anita is mayday...

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master"

Old 26th July 2010, 09:59 PM   #933
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
From that page:

Quote:

How many students, in the history of the US, have funded a four year degree course + living expenses + flying around the countryside to IIG meetings, TAM, etcetera, by working an unskilled Summer job in Sweden?

If the answer is, "Sure, it happens all the time." then could someone in the US please send me an application form?

Old 26th July 2010, 10:11 PM   #934
Maia
Graduate Poster

Well, being an LPN is NOT an unskilled job at all, to be fair. I honestly don't know exactly what kind of training you need in Sweden, though. (But I do have a hard time believing that it would actually be LESS than in Tennessee. Was she an LPN in the U.S. or in Sweden?) A nursing home/LTC is a good example of exactly where an LPN would work, because they do not use RN's except for DON and ADON positions. However, all that being said, it's far from the highest paying job in the world and I don't see how she could have funded anything lavish with it.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:51 PM   #935
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

She responds to some stuff that I have posted, but she does not call me nosy (which I am), nor wrong (which I'm probably not) about speculating that her next test will take place in Sweden or Finland.

That's what I find informative---by omission.

Ward

I reckon you're right, Ward.

I for one have learned to trust your mad detective skillz.

Old 26th July 2010, 11:02 PM   #936
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by Maia View Post
Well, being an LPN is NOT an unskilled job at all, to be fair. I honestly don't know exactly what kind of training you need in Sweden, though. (But I do have a hard time believing that it would actually be LESS than in Tennessee. Was she an LPN in the U.S. or in Sweden?) A nursing home/LTC is a good example of exactly where an LPN would work, because they do not use RN's except for DON and ADON positions. However, all that being said, it's far from the highest paying job in the world and I don't see how she could have funded anything lavish with it.

Sorry, Maia (and LPNs everywhere). I should have chosen my words more carefully.

I didn't mean to say that being a LPN was an unskilled job, rather that Ikonen has had little training and received no formal qualifications for the job. It's just a part-time thing she claims to have done at some stage a few years ago, after she gave up her career as a touring lecturer in breatharianism and before starting as a full-time Nobel laureate university student.

Old 26th July 2010, 11:20 PM   #937
Uncayimmy
Banned

Originally Posted by Maia View Post
I figure this is as good a time as any to dip my toes back in the water...

Anita did not say she was a licensed practical nurse. What she said was:

Quote:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...63#post5849263
I worked in a nursing home and I was just a practical nurse and had no education for health care other than the various courses given by our employer.
LPNs in the USA require specific education from an accredited institution and (obviously) licensing. What she describes sounds more like a nurse's assistant. Maybe it was in Sweden. Who knows?

For those who may not know, I have updated www.StopVisionFromFeeling.com

* The Tests has been expanded to show her many failures.
* Added a new page outlining the sordid history of the Missing Kidney Claim as being nothing more than a grab for attention.
* Wrote a couple of blogs about the JREF demonstration and her history of dealing with people who cross her.
* Pinned several threads in the discussion forum so that visitors know which ones are most worth reading given a limited amount of time.
* Updated and expanded the FAQ.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 12:09 AM   #938
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I reckon you're right, Ward.

I for one have learned to trust your mad detective skillz.

No detective skills needed. She's got a big mouth. It doesn't take much research when she tells you exactly what she's doing.

Ward
Old 27th July 2010, 12:11 AM   #939
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by UncaYimmy View Post
I figure this is as good a time as any to dip my toes back in the water...

Anita did not say she was a licensed practical nurse. What she said was:

LPNs in the USA require specific education from an accredited institution and (obviously) licensing. What she describes sounds more like a nurse's assistant. Maybe it was in Sweden. Who knows?

For those who may not know, I have updated www.StopVisionFromFeeling.com

* The Tests has been expanded to show her many failures.
* Added a new page outlining the sordid history of the Missing Kidney Claim as being nothing more than a grab for attention.
* Wrote a couple of blogs about the JREF demonstration and her history of dealing with people who cross her.
* Pinned several threads in the discussion forum so that visitors know which ones are most worth reading given a limited amount of time.
* Updated and expanded the FAQ.
Welcome back and be careful.

Ward
Old 27th July 2010, 12:13 AM   #940
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

So I am curious: If one lives in a state where higher education is nearly (or close to it) "free" (paid for through taxes, I know, but its irrelevant to the point) - why would you choose to come to the United States to attend a university instead where you have to pay for everything and have to work during the summer as a "practical nurse" back home to do it?

There are only a few reasons that come to mind which make sense.. The first is that your going to the best school you can get into, and its better than what you can get into at your home country. But this doesn't make any sense for Anita because sweden has lots of very well respected universities and does some of the top research in the world. I can see though, perhaps going to a Stanford, Harvard, or Yale in the US over a Swedish University - maybe just for the experience. But why, instead, forgo the free education to attend what is in all honestly a mediocre school that is only regionally known, and doesn't rank well in any of your majors? Its a Tier 3 school overall, and the only programs it has that rank at all nationally are not science (public affairs & education).

Note that I'm not saying there is anything wrong with UNCC: Its a good school for people in the region, and for people born in the region, I don't see why you wouldn't go there if you couldn't get into some place better. But when the option is paying a lot of money for a "mediocre" school with no international recognition versus a free education back home, where even the "mediocre" universities are better than UNCC - why in the world would anyone do this?

I ask these questions because I think they might provide some insight into her thought process and the woo she promotes. I am not critiquing her personal life choices - shes free to do whatever she wants.

Last edited by LightinDarkness; 27th July 2010 at 12:18 AM.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 12:27 AM   #941
Susan Gerbic
Graduate Poster

Quote:
So I am curious: If one lives in a state where higher education is nearly (or close to it) "free" (paid for through taxes, I know, but its irrelevant to the point) - why would you choose to come to the United States to attend a university instead where you have to pay for everything and have to work during the summer as a "practical nurse" back home to do it?

There are only a few reasons that come to mind which make sense.. The first is that your going to the best school you can get into, and its better than what you can get into at your home country. But this doesn't make any sense for Anita because sweden has lots of very well respected universities and does some of the top research in the world. I can see though, perhaps going to a Stanford, Harvard, or Yale in the US over a Swedish University - maybe just for the experience. But why, instead, forgo the free education to attend what is in all honestly a mediocre school that is only regionally known, and doesn't rank well in any of your majors? Its a Tier 3 school overall, and the only programs it has that rank at all nationally are not science (public affairs & education).

Note that I'm not saying there is anything wrong with UNCC: Its a good school for people in the region, and for people born in the region, I don't see why you wouldn't go there if you couldn't get into some place better. But when the option is paying a lot of money for a "mediocre" school with no international recognition versus a free education back home, where even the "mediocre" universities are better than UNCC - why in the world would anyone do this?

I ask these questions because I think they might provide some insight into her thought process and the woo she promotes. I am not critiquing her personal life choices - shes free to do whatever she wants.
When I asked her this question at BoHo's she told me that Sweden does not offer the education in the sciences they do here in America. The schools aren't as good in the science area. I think she told me what specifically she wants to do in science and that they don't offer it there. Can't remember as I was not familiar with it.

She told me that she was interested in North Carolina because that was where her Internet honey was at. I don't think she had met him yet (I could be wrong) but she was thinking of Ohio for the same reason.

She felt that she would get a better education in America.

Oh yeah, Welcome back Jim!

Does anyone know what happened to her claims that she found a dead body? Also what is up with her posts about using the Laws of Attraction to find rent money and other things?
Old 27th July 2010, 12:37 AM   #942
wardenclyffe
Master Poster

sgf8, you must remember that many of us are not facebook friends with her. Some of us are not even on facebook at all. If you want to discuss what she's talking about there, you'll have to give us some quotes.

And, yeah, she wrote once that she wanted to study something they didn't teach in Sweden like osteopathy or homeopathy or something else they are too smart to teach in Sweden. But then she fell in love with optics or something. But it makes total sense that she came to NC for her old man on the internet. Now that they are no longer an item, I don't know why she doesn't stay in Sweden to finish her degree. It's gotta be cheaper.

Ward
Old 27th July 2010, 12:38 AM   #943
Uncayimmy
Banned

There was a discussion about her schooling choice in this thread over at StopVFF.

Here's what she told me about her choice of education when I asked her about it:

Quote:
[5/10/2009 4:23:44 PM] Anita Ikonen: You're absolutely right. I could have studied in Sweden for no tuition cost what so ever. Here in America I pay $10,000 a semester!
[5/10/2009 4:24:36 PM] Anita Ikonen: And no I am not rich and no I don't come from a wealthy background! I had to work for two years saving every penny I made, literally, in order to be able to afford it. But it was my dream.
[5/10/2009 4:25:30 PM] Anita Ikonen: Well, my dream was to become an Osteopathic Physician. You know, they implement some manipulation similar to chiropractics into medicine. In Sweden, Osteopathy is considered, well, hrm, woo, and Osteopathic Medicine is not offered in any Swedish schools. So I decided to come to its source.
[5/10/2009 4:26:35 PM] Anita Ikonen: Because I knew that what ever becomes my career I would take it to the uppermost professional level. So I came to America and started on my Pre-Medicine undergraduate.
[5/10/2009 4:26:57 PM] Anita Ikonen: Generally Pre-Meds are recommended to do a B.S. Chemistry, B.S. Biology, or a bit of both, so I chose B.S. Chemistry.
[5/10/2009 4:27:38 PM] Anita Ikonen: In my second year I had introductory Physics, and fell in love with magnetism and added a second major in Optical Physics. And have kept the B.S. Chemistry and am doing both. Luckily they can be combined in Medical Physics.
[5/10/2009 4:28:39 PM] Anita Ikonen: So that is why I am studying in the USA. And I think I am more drawn to the science and technology opportunities in America than what we have in Sweden or even in Europe. So I'm staying.
[5/10/2009 4:29:05 PM] Anita Ikonen: Well, expensive... I'll be making $ 200,000 starting salary when I get started.
[5/10/2009 4:29:19 PM] Anita Ikonen: So don't you ever worry about me getting into any woo economy!
[5/10/2009 4:30:04 PM] Anita Ikonen: But the irony is that I'm not even doing any of this for money! I just want a job I love.
[5/10/2009 4:30:39 PM] Anita Ikonen: Many undergraduates are very money-greedy and big-headed about all of that, and all I can think about is the wonders of wave functions and vibrational information.
Uncayimmy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 01:08 AM   #944
LightinDarkness
Master Poster

Thanks for the responses, quite insightful into how she thinks. If we take them at face value it all seems very odd. North Carolina is blessed with top tier research universities - but she goes to UNCC instead of UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. And of course there is always the private option with schools like Duke. All very well known for their hard sciences research in various areas.

So she came to NC for her internet boyfriend - or because she wants to do osteopathic medicine - but then ends up going to a regional and relatively unknown university instead of the schools with the best medical and hard sciences research programs that are also in the same state.

Its these sort of irrational decision making processes that make me think she is more than likely suffering from some sort of mental illness rather than intentional deception - of course it could always be both. But when you see patterns of these sort of irrational decisions outside of her woo, it makes it harder to believe she is simply a charlatan and is otherwise mentally healthy.

Last edited by LightinDarkness; 27th July 2010 at 01:11 AM.
LightinDarkness is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 01:35 AM   #945
Uncayimmy
Banned

Mental illness and intentional deception are not mutually exclusive. She's mentally ill, and she's a liar. Some of the lies are directed outward, some inward, and some both. In a post over at StopVFF I outline my theory of The VFF Process.
Old 27th July 2010, 05:54 AM   #946
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Jeebus wept.

I've just read the page dealing with the upcoming gender test and if nothing else, it's allayed any remaining concerns that I may have had that she's attempting any kind of scam.

That ever-increasing mass of gibberish leaves very little doubt that she's utterly looney tunes.

A double degree in Physics and Chemistry? She shouldn't have been allowed to graduate from elementary school.
Perpetual motion machines!

My investigation of my paranormal claim is one of the loves of my life, as are my various other spare-time research projects such as my two perpetuum mobile inventions that I want to build just to see that they do not work (possibly useful as awesome energy conversion machines),

Re claims:

I believe I could spot the difference between a man and a women using just my plain old senses.

ETA: Notice how the claims keep broadening at first it was quite specific(chemical analysis) then she moved to kidneys and now it's "I can tell the difference between a man and a woman.

Suspicion: she's using her breatharian money.

Last edited by tsig; 27th July 2010 at 05:57 AM.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 06:10 AM   #947
RossFW
Muse

Last edited by RossFW; 27th July 2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Redundent
RossFW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 06:36 AM   #948
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Looking at the timestamps on those IMs, she could make a decent living as a typist.
Old 27th July 2010, 06:52 AM   #949
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by sgf8 View Post
When I asked her this question at BoHo's she told me that Sweden does not offer the education in the sciences they do here in America. The schools aren't as good in the science area. I think she told me what specifically she wants to do in science and that they don't offer it there. Can't remember as I was not familiar with it.
Almost certainly nonsense. I doubt there's anything not offered at CTH and KTH that's offered at some random NC university.

ETA: She goes abroad and wants to become an... Osteopathic Physician... Uhm... And starts with chemistry and physics... How about becoming a PHYSICIAN first? She seems completely irrational.

Last edited by TubbaBlubba; 27th July 2010 at 06:54 AM.
TubbaBlubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 07:21 AM   #950
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Almost certainly nonsense. I doubt there's anything not offered at CTH and KTH that's offered at some random NC university.

ETA: She goes abroad and wants to become an... Osteopathic Physician... Uhm... And starts with chemistry and physics... How about becoming a PHYSICIAN first? She seems completely irrational.

You do know that she claims to come from Arcturus, don't you?

Old 27th July 2010, 07:42 AM   #951
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
She was initially referring to the fact that Sweden does not have a school for osteopathic medicine. However, at some point between leaving Sweden and beginning university in the US, she changed her mind about become an osteopathic physician. Or something. There's little rationality to her convoluted explanations.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:49 AM   #952
KirinDave
Scholar

I'm new here. Would you mind sharing a link to that claim?
KirinDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 08:56 AM   #953
TheSkepticCanuck
Thinker

This needs to be a FAQ item. She does not claim to come from Arcturus. She claims to be the incarnation of a white dwarf star NEAR Arcturus. Slightly different, though no less nutty.

Please help to Stop Sylvia Browne, Jenny McCarthy, and Anita Ikonen

Please check out The Reality Check, Canada's premier podcast dedicated to science and skepticism.
TheSkepticCanuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 09:01 AM   #954
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

She was initially referring to the fact that Sweden does not have a school for osteopathic medicine.
To be fair, this part almost makes some kind of sense. It's not that osteopathy is considered woo in Sweden, and the rest of Europe for that matter, as she states in the quotes provided by UncaYimmy. Osteopathy in Europe is woo. It's not quite as bad as chiropractic, but it's similar in the emphasis on massage and physical manipulation as the only thing ever worth doing. In the US, on the other hand, osteopathy is hardly any different from regular medicine - the courses are very similar to normal medical courses and qualified osteopaths can do pretty much anything a qualified doctor can. This is recognised elsewhere as well. In the UK, if you get a degree in osteopathy from the UK you cannot prescribe drugs and are not recognised as a real doctor at all, but someone with a degree from the US can and is. In fact, in the US the name has officially been changed to "osteopathic medicine" to distinguish it from the woo of osteopathy.

I can see two possible reasons Anita would want to go to the US to study osteopathy. Firstly, she may not have realised that osteopathy is so different in the US, and having decided she wanted to be a quack but couldn't do it in Sweden, the US would be the logical choice as the place that has actual respected osteopaths. This would seem to be rather stupid and indicative of a total lack of research on a pretty important life choice, but consider who we're dealing with here.

Alternatively, she may have known about the difference and planned on setting herself up as a quack, but with the legitimacy a degree in osteopathy from the US would give her. We already know she would have no qualms about doing this sort of thing, as the breatharianism and migraine "treatments" have proven.

Personally I'm undecided which it might be, I'm just suggesting that there are rational reasons possible for the choice.

Quote:
However, at some point between leaving Sweden and beginning university in the US, she changed her mind about become an osteopathic physician. Or something. There's little rationality to her convoluted explanations.
Again, this part isn't totally irrational either. Having got a place in a university, saved up the money to get a degree there, and actually moved to a different country, dropping it all and moving back home again just because you've decided to change course wouldn't necessarily be the best idea. Having a summer job isn't exactly a huge inconvenience - most students have them whether they need to pay tens of thousands in fees or not. And why not spend a few years in another country when you have the chance? Maybe it's not the best university in the world, but it appears to be decent enough.

While the reasons for being there in the first place may be a little questionable, the decision to stay there seems to be perfectly reasonable to me.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 09:08 AM   #955
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheSkepticCanuck View Post
This needs to be a FAQ item. She does not claim to come from Arcturus. She claims to be the incarnation of a white dwarf star NEAR Arcturus. Slightly different, though no less nutty.
Actually, she claims to be an incarnation FROM a white dwarf star-which she calls TelMaar-near Arcturus. Slightly different, no less nutty.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:18 AM   #956
TheSkepticCanuck
Thinker

Actually, she claims to be an incarnation FROM a white dwarf star-which she calls TelMaar-near Arcturus. Slightly different, no less nutty.
Do you have a link to the posting where she made that claim? I tried to find it, so I could quote it exactly and link to it for others, but I was unable to find it in a quick search. Unless someone else supplies it, I will try to locate it later, so that her exact words can be directly quoted and cited. She has typed so many walls of text that finding any specific thing she said can be challenging.

Please check out The Reality Check, Canada's premier podcast dedicated to science and skepticism.
TheSkepticCanuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 09:22 AM   #957
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
<snipped for brevity>

Personally I'm undecided which it might be, I'm just suggesting that there are rational reasons possible for the choice.
I don't disagree with you. I do think that her decision to attend school in the USA was motivated primarily (and perhaps solely) by the fact that Sweden has no school of osteopathic medicine. If she had graduated as an osteopathic physician, I have no idea if she would have returned to Sweden to a wooish practice, or remained in the USA where osteopaths are more respected. I'm guessing the latter, but with Anita, who knows?

Quote:
Again, this part isn't totally irrational either. Having got a place in a university, saved up the money to get a degree there, and actually moved to a different country, dropping it all and moving back home again just because you've decided to change course wouldn't necessarily be the best idea. Having a summer job isn't exactly a huge inconvenience - most students have them whether they need to pay tens of thousands in fees or not. And why not spend a few years in another country when you have the chance? Maybe it's not the best university in the world, but it appears to be decent enough.

While the reasons for being there in the first place may be a little questionable, the decision to stay there seems to be perfectly reasonable to me.
No, not irrational, but UNCC does not have a school of osteopathic medicine, and she's never given any indication that she matriculated at a US school that did before switching majors. So it is confusing.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:28 AM   #958
TheSkepticCanuck
Thinker

Originally Posted by KirinDave View Post
I'm new here. Would you mind sharing a link to that claim?
Here is one. She claims this and much more here.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ar#post5451055

Here is a reprint of a letter she wrote to a UFO group.

http://www.ufoinfo.com/filer/2005/ff0537.shtml

Old 27th July 2010, 09:30 AM   #959
desertgal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheSkepticCanuck View Post
Do you have a link to the posting where she made that claim? I tried to find it, so I could quote it exactly and link to it for others, but I was unable to find it in a quick search. Unless someone else supplies it, I will try to locate it later, so that her exact words can be directly quoted and cited. She has typed so many walls of text that finding any specific thing she said can be challenging.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=406

Originally Posted by VisionFromFeeling
I tried to join The Skeptics Guide to the Universe Forum at http://skepchick.org/skepticsguide/ but believe it or not they ask "Are you human?" and you have to answer "Yes" in order to register, so I couldn't do that and asked myself where is an extraterrestrial incarnation from a white dwarf star near Arcturus supposed to go and luckily Randi welcomes the opinions of all forms of life.
She also corrected one of us quite sharply once when she was referred to as the reincarnation OF a white dwarf star instead of FROM a white dwarf star. She insisted that, rationally, no one could be a reincarnation of white dwarf star itself, which is naturally true, but the irony of her comment was completely lost on her. Not sure where that post is, though-lost in the milieu.

Last edited by desertgal; 27th July 2010 at 09:49 AM.
desertgal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2010, 10:18 AM   #960
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

She's a Star Person

The second post on this page should clear up any Arcturan questions.

You might want to grab a coffee before you start. (It's 5333 words)

Last edited by Akhenaten; 27th July 2010 at 10:25 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal