ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 5th September 2020, 08:13 AM   #1161
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
President Donald Trump has refused to condemn Russia over the poisoning of opposition figure Alexei Navalny, saying he had not seen proof.
Hey, Putin said he didn't do it, and he should know; whenever Putin does something, he's always there.
Old 5th September 2020, 01:05 PM   #1162
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

'DHS has acted no better than the Russian authorities': ICE targets Russian asylum-seeker and critic

Quote:
Gregory Duralev has been seeking asylum in the United States since 2016 after exposing corruption in Russia’s economy. It’s no exaggeration to say that this could be a matter of life or death, when critics of the Russian government continue to die “mysteriously.” But Politico’s Natasha Bertrand reports Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has sought to deport Duralev to exactly that—and even as he’s been allowed to legally remain in the U.S. while his asylum claim plays out.

“Duralev has no criminal record in the U.S. or Russia,” Bertrand reported. “Nor do Russia and the United States have a formal extradition treaty. But he was arrested, deemed a flight risk and denied bond, he says, because of a Red Notice issued by Russia and shared with POLITICO. Experts who have reviewed the document say it was so incomplete and riddled with inaccuracies that it was nearly incomprehensible.”

<snip>

But during the Trump administration, Kremlin-demanded Red Notices “are being met with increasing deference by the Department of Homeland Security,” the Atlantic continued.

<snip>

Duralev was detained for 18 months, at one point “placed in protective custody and told to know his ‘place’” after complaining about his treatment, Politico continued. He tried asking both the immigration judge and the Board of Immigration Appeals to let him fight his case in freedom, but that was denied due to the faulty Red Notice. “The fact that immigration judges are relying on Russian Red Notices to penalize Russians who have fallen out with the state makes no legal sense,” Bill Browder, another activist previously targeted by the Kremlin, told Politico. “It shouldn't happen. It’s illegal and it’s unjust.”
Erosion comes to mind.
Old 8th September 2020, 07:26 AM   #1163
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This article goes over volume 5 of the bipartisan report, as it relates to Trump campaign chair Paul Manafort. Spoiler: collusion.

While we're on the subject, the US intelligence services have concluded that Russia is again interfering in the election, aiming to get Trump elected, and in doing so are echoing Trump's disparaging of Biden and mail-in voting.
Old 8th September 2020, 07:32 AM   #1164
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm 100% certain that there is a secret method of communication between Trump and Putin.
Old 8th September 2020, 08:02 AM   #1165
Earthborn
Terrestrial Intelligence

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm 100% certain that there is a secret method of communication between Trump and Putin.
It is not so secret. We know they call each other regurlarly.

It is probably just a conspiracy theory that Trump's insecure phone records and sends stuff to Putin without them making an explicit phone call...
Old 8th September 2020, 10:33 AM   #1166
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I expect they use WhatsApp. It's what Kushner uses to talk to MBS.
Old 8th September 2020, 11:36 AM   #1167
Aridas

Originally Posted by Earthborn View Post
It is not so secret. We know they call each other regurlarly.

It is probably just a conspiracy theory that Trump's insecure phone records and sends stuff to Putin without them making an explicit phone call...
Even more to the point, at last check, it was also known that Trump engages in private calls to foreign leaders that his staff is then simply unable to put into the record, as all calls from the President to other foreign leaders should be for obvious reasons.
Old 8th September 2020, 06:30 PM   #1168
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't think it's that secret.
Old 10th September 2020, 01:54 AM   #1169
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A senior intelligence official at the US Department of Homeland Security has said he was pressured by the agency's leadership to downplay the threat of Russian election interference as it "made the president look bad".

In a whistleblower complaint, Brian Murphy said he was demoted for refusing to alter reports on this and other issues, including white supremacy.

The directives were illegal, he claims.

The White House and Department of Homeland Security denied the claims.

The complaint was released by the Democrat-led House Intelligence Committee, which has asked Mr Murphy to testify to Congress later in the month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54096520
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 01:24 AM   #1170
Aridas

Treasury Department says Ukrainian linked to Rudy Giuliani is 'Russian agent'

And by linked, they mean "was actively working with Giuiliani to interfere with the 2020 election."

Also of note from that -

Quote:
The Justice Department, Thursday, also brought wire fraud and conspiracy charges against three Russian nationals allegedly involved in election interference operations connected to the Internet Research Agency (IRA). The IRA was previously charged in the Special Counsel investigation into Russian election interference led by Robert Mueller.

Last edited by Aridas; 11th September 2020 at 01:28 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:14 PM   #1171
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing to see... move along.

A top prosecutor in the probe into the origins of the investigation of President Donald Trump and Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election has quit, reportedly in part due to fears that political concerns were behind pressure to produce a report before the probe’s work is completed. The Hartford Courant on Friday reported that Nora Dannehy, the top aide to U.S. Attorney John Durham in his controversial probe, told colleagues on Thursday night that she had resigned.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 03:34 PM   #1172
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Nothing to see... move along.

A top prosecutor in the probe into the origins of the investigation of President Donald Trump and Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election has quit, reportedly in part due to fears that political concerns were behind pressure to produce a report before the probe’s work is completed. The Hartford Courant on Friday reported that Nora Dannehy, the top aide to U.S. Attorney John Durham in his controversial probe, told colleagues on Thursday night that she had resigned.
NO! Political pressure, you say? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say. SHOCKED!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2020, 06:37 AM   #1173
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
NO! Political pressure, you say? I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I say. SHOCKED!
Barr just didn't want to waste anymore government resources on it because everyone knows that Trump-Russia is a Democrat hoax...
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 08:15 PM   #1174
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

The Trump campaign ran a "support our troops"-themed ad that featured MiG-29's and soldiers carrying AK-74 assault rifles. You can't make this stuff up!

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...to-support-the

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 14th September 2020 at 08:16 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 08:17 PM   #1175
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
The Trump campaign ran a "support our troops"-themed ad that featured MiG-29's and soldiers carrying AK-74 assault rifles. You can't make this stuff up!

And who said the republicans were completely dishonest?

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 09:28 PM   #1176
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
What makes you think it's a mistake? Maybe Dear Leader sees the Russians as his troops.

Last edited by Bob001; 14th September 2020 at 09:30 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 08:47 AM   #1177
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Our troops, as in Putin's troops because Trump works for Putin.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 11:04 AM   #1178
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So Congressman Dana Rorabacher offered Juian Assange a pardon (on behalf of Trump) to cover up Russia's involvement in the DNC hacking

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-adm...a=twitter_page
Old 18th September 2020, 09:04 PM   #1179
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
So Congressman Dana Rorabacher offered Juian Assange a pardon (on behalf of Trump) to cover up Russia's involvement in the DNC hacking

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-adm...a=twitter_page
I don't quite get the logic here.

If I remember correctly, Assange has always stated it "wasn't the Russians". So he was already working to cover up their involvement. And having him arrested and dragged to the U.S. would seem counterproductive, since it is more likely that Assange's relationship with Russia would be highlighted. Just letting him slink back to work on Wikileaks (with the support of Putin) would have been the smarter way to go.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th September 2020, 09:30 PM   #1180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I don't quite get the logic here.

If I remember correctly, Assange has always stated it "wasn't the Russians". So he was already working to cover up their involvement. And having him arrested and dragged to the U.S. would seem counterproductive, since it is more likely that Assange's relationship with Russia would be highlighted. Just letting him slink back to work on Wikileaks (with the support of Putin) would have been the smarter way to go.
He says it wasn't the Russians?

Think about it, Assange has the dirt on Trump and Rorabacher for that matter as he's known to be taking Russian campaign money. What are they going to do, extradite Assange and risk him turning on them?
Old 18th September 2020, 10:32 PM   #1181
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Assange might be an ideologue, but he would totally rat out Republicans and the Trump Campaign to reduce a prision sentence.
Giving him a pardon defuses that risk.
Old 19th September 2020, 02:58 AM   #1182
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The US has ramped up its military presence in Syria after a number of skirmishes with Russian forces intensified tensions in the country.
US officials said six Bradley Fighting Vehicles and about 100 troops were part of the deployment to north-east Syria.
Incidents between US and Russian forces that patrol that part of the country have escalated this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-54215915

Who would have thought trump's plan of moving most of the forces out and giving free rain to the Russians wasn't a good idea.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2020, 04:01 AM   #1183
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The US has ramped up its military presence in Syria after a number of skirmishes with Russian forces intensified tensions in the country.
US officials said six Bradley Fighting Vehicles and about 100 troops were part of the deployment to north-east Syria.
Incidents between US and Russian forces that patrol that part of the country have escalated this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-54215915

Who would have thought trump's plan of moving most of the forces out and giving free rain to the Russians wasn't a good idea.
Nobel! Nobel! Nobel!
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:35 AM   #1184
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Washington Post is reporting that a classified CIA report concludes that Putin is likely directing the attacks against Biden

The main instrument of this is Andriy Derkach, the man that took Giuliani to Ukraine to find dirt on Biden, and who Giuliani has been doing YouTube videos and a podcast with.
Old 25th September 2020, 12:38 AM   #1185
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The Washington Post is reporting that a classified CIA report concludes that Putin is likely directing the attacks against Biden

The main instrument of this is Andriy Derkach, the man that took Giuliani to Ukraine to find dirt on Biden, and who Giuliani has been doing YouTube videos and a podcast with.
and who has been feeding fake news to GOP Republicans.
Old 26th September 2020, 12:11 AM   #1186
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
and who has been feeding fake news to GOP Republicans the American Chapter of United Russia.
Fixed. I'm sure there are still Republicans who haven't lost their integrity, even though we don't hear much from them.

Last edited by timhau; 26th September 2020 at 12:14 AM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 12:29 AM   #1187
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Fixed. I'm sure there are still Republicans who haven't lost their integrity, even though we don't hear much from them.
My favorite Republican: Anna Navarro.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 12:40 AM   #1188
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Ron Johnson's Russia report is out

It's unsurprisingly terrible and, even as a hit job, admits that there is no evidence that Hunter Biden's position on the board of Burisma affected US policy in any way.

Oh, and it seems that Derkach was the source for much of the misinformation in the report. So you've got a Republican politician publishing an official report, sourced from a Russian agent as part of a Russian disinformation campaign. This is the party of Ronald Reagan.
Old 26th September 2020, 05:13 AM   #1189
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This is the party of Ronald Reagan.
The Gipper would have been proud, at the end of the day he didn't have any scruples either.

In hindsight, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the GOP veneration of Reagan has always been code for "power at any price."
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 05:52 AM   #1190
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Trump declassifies all things related to the Russia probe.

Buzzfeed: ok, let's see the fully unredacted Mueller report
Judge: Calls DOJ and says, is that really what you want?
Old 9th October 2020, 06:41 AM   #1191
Aridas

Trump declassifies all things related to the Russia probe.

Buzzfeed: ok, let's see the fully unredacted Mueller report
Judge: Calls DOJ and says, is that really what you want?
So much for any concerns about National Security that were agreed would be valid cause for redactions.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:57 AM   #1192
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
So much for any concerns about National Security that were agreed would be valid cause for redactions.
In fact, I would think there were probably were actually national security concern reasons for redacting information. Who knows what clandestine sources were involved.

But that's the implication of the president's orders
Old 9th October 2020, 09:23 AM   #1193
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

In fact, I would think there were probably were actually national security concern reasons for redacting information. Who knows what clandestine sources were involved.

But that's the implication of the president's orders

I don't understand why the judge has any business trying to second-guess a clear, unequivocal declaration by the POTUS. Who has a higher right than he does?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics