IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Closed Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 04:28 AM   #561
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
For what it is worth. As I don't want to turn this into an ugly argument.

Yes. I think man contributes to obvious current climate change.

I also think climate change happens naturally as to not do so would be dim. The question is how much mans influence has on these changes.

And frankly again. I do not know. The fact you think your awesome enough to know for sure is great ...... Big ups to you.

Not pumping bad stuff out is a good thing either way, as it also has environmental upsides, but the 4-5 big players aren't going to stop doing it, and without them she is a bit of a dead end.
Oh Jeez, there is no question about the massive human influence on climate change. Read the science and learn or shut up.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:31 AM   #562
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh Jeez, there is no question about the massive human influence on climate change. Read the science and learn or shut up.
I know. Which is why I said we do.

Do you actually read peoples posts?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:43 AM   #563
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually that was a pathetic reply by me.

I said I don't know. You said "massive".

But this still doesn't change the top 4 or 5 countries not doing anything being a tad dead end
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:48 AM   #564
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I know. Which is why I said we do.

Do you actually read peoples posts?
With caveats.

Yes I read what you say. Do you think before you post?

Look, you come into this thread admitting you know nothing about the topic. You then repeat denialist arguments and expect not to be criticised for denialism. Grow up.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 04:56 AM   #565
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

With caveats.

Yes I read what you say. Do you think before you post?

Look, you come into this thread admitting you know nothing about the topic. You then repeat denialist arguments and expect not to be criticised for denialism. Grow up.
I read the story of her boat trip, seen the thread and commented on her trip.

You replied to my thoughts on her boat trip.

Then accused me of climate change denial after about 8 posts from me saying climate change is true and man plays a part.

Because you would have to be an idiot to deny it.

All I did was criticise her one method of travel.

At least try to come up with a criticism of my points that isn't plain obvious twisting to justify your adoration to the girl

Old 30th August 2019, 05:39 AM   #566
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Why are young climate activists facing so much hate?

"Those who have resorted to personal attacks on the activist appear to be "retreating into various forms of denial", Nigel Thomas, professor of childhood and youth at the University of Lancashire, says.

Given the seriousness of scientists' climate warnings, some "may feel threatened by a teenager who has clearly understood and faced up to the trouble we are all in".

So far, she has shown restraint, staying mostly above the fray."
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 07:46 AM   #567
Arcade22
Philosopher

And frankly again. I do not know. The fact you think your awesome enough to know for sure is great ...... Big ups to you.
So you don't trust the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community that man is directly responsible for global warming? Your personal ignorance on the subject is irrelevant when you have countless expert scientists stating the same thing. That's why we rely on experts in the first place.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 07:57 AM   #568
Arcade22
Philosopher

Apologies, but I really can't be bothered making an effort over a teenager just saying what loads of other people say.
But apparently you can be bothered to tell everyone about just how you "can't be bothered making an effort over a teenager just saying what loads of other people say".

For someone so indifferent you seem awfully keen on making sure everyone knows just how indifferent you are. Now that's what you would call virtue signaling.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:29 AM   #569
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Some cargo ships can take passengers along. Given that the cargo ship was going to make the trip anyway, would that be less carbon than flying?
Yes. That is how a couple of friends of mine used to regularly travel to the US. In their case, saving money.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:38 AM   #570
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Why are young climate activists facing so much hate?

"Those who have resorted to personal attacks on the activist appear to be "retreating into various forms of denial", Nigel Thomas, professor of childhood and youth at the University of Lancashire, says.

Given the seriousness of scientists' climate warnings, some "may feel threatened by a teenager who has clearly understood and faced up to the trouble we are all in".

So far, she has shown restraint, staying mostly above the fray."
I think calling someone a 'hater' because they disagree with something is merely setting up a straw man. The claim that anyone who disagrees with Greta Thunberg's form of PR 'must be jealous' or they 'bully little children' is just a form of logical fallacy: the ad hominem.

Why not tackle the argument instead of the person. The idea that if you are sixteen you are ring-fenced from debate or criticism strikes me as avoiding the issues and instead engaging in personal attack.

Headlines like 'Why do people hate children who campaign for climate change' strike me as manipulative and presumptuous.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 01:17 PM   #571
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
So you don't trust the overwhelming consensus of the scientific community that man is directly responsible for global warming? Your personal ignorance on the subject is irrelevant when you have countless expert scientists stating the same thing. That's why we rely on experts in the first place.
Lol

Far out

Old 30th August 2019, 02:55 PM   #572
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I think calling someone a 'hater' because they disagree with something is merely setting up a straw man.
I agree; but as I've already explained, the attacks on Thunberg aren't confined to disagreement over her view that the climate is changing. They are bizarrely personal and even juvenile at times, and I believe that qualifies those attackers for the title of "hater".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 03:38 PM   #573
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I agree; but as I've already explained, the attacks on Thunberg aren't confined to disagreement over her view that the climate is changing. They are bizarrely personal and even juvenile at times, and I believe that qualifies those attackers for the title of "hater".
Yes.

And she is promoting the mainstream scientific position.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 08:17 PM   #574
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Funny how the more political the subject, the less skeptical this <cough> skeptics board becomes. Could somebody please present a rational argument (valid reason?) as to why anyone should listen to what a 16 year old Swedish high school dropout with Asperger's (and who knows what else, FAS perhaps) has to say on both a highly controversial political subject and the thoroughly imprecise "science" related to it that she (like the rest of humanity) knows essentially nothing about?

Don't forget, she's the only human being who's ever (claimed to have) seen those invisible, teeny-tiny CO2 molecules with the naked eye. Which according to her is a pollutant. She "sees how it flows out of chimneys and turns the atmosphere into a rubbish tip." Yet CO2 has never been designated a pollutant by anyone or anything intelligent anywhere. Ever! In fact the opposite is true, (from 6th grade science) carbon is the basic building block of life and so essential to it (where do you think all that carbon in the carbon cycle comes from?) that CO2's present day minor concentration in the atmosphere (400 PPM) going below 150 PPM would inevitably end all life on earth.

No I'm not trying to convince a skeptics board to be skeptical, that would be stupidity on my part. I'm after just one valid reason why I should be listening in earnest to a young unattractive political shill who would otherwise have a hard time convincing anyone she's even female. I mean, if the general attitude in society is we're to "listen to the scientists" (a prevailing if not misguided sentiment), you can't arbitrarily add to that "and drop-out resource classes teenagers who really like attention and sailing on ships" and still claim any seriousness.

Would Kim Kardashian be a better or worse Carbon Is Bad™ spokesmodel than Greta Thunberg? Why?
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 09:24 PM   #575
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The above is a fairly exemplary QED of my prior point. The poster isn't simply saying they think Thunberg is wrong about climate change; they also are compelled to describe her as "unattractive", a "high school dropout", having "Aspergers and who knows what else", a "political shill", even invoking her nationality as part of a list of qualities the poster implies are discrediting or make her unworthy of attention. This person clearly has as much a problem with Thunberg personally as they do with Thunberg's message; that's why "haters" is a valid moniker.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 11:38 PM   #576
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The above is a fairly exemplary QED of my prior point. The poster isn't simply saying they think Thunberg is wrong about climate change; they also are compelled to describe her as "unattractive", a "high school dropout", having "Aspergers and who knows what else", a "political shill", even invoking her nationality as part of a list of qualities the poster implies are discrediting or make her unworthy of attention. This person clearly has as much a problem with Thunberg personally as they do with Thunberg's message; that's why "haters" is a valid moniker.
Exactly.

One thing this thread is doing is uncovering irrational, unscientific climate change deniers.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 31st August 2019, 12:27 AM   #577
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Lol

Far out
(from my previous link):

Global warming, according to the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), is being caused by human activity. This conclusion is shared by 97% of actively publishing climate scientists, a 2016 study of peer-reviewed journals found. If carbon emissions are not curbed, and global temperatures continue to rise, researchers expect the risks of climate change to increase.

As purveyors of this scientific consensus, young climate activists are in the crosshairs of those who oppose radical action on it.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 12:35 AM   #578
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

(from my previous link):

Global warming, according to the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), is being caused by human activity. This conclusion is shared by 97% of actively publishing climate scientists, a 2016 study of peer-reviewed journals found. If carbon emissions are not curbed, and global temperatures continue to rise, researchers expect the risks of climate change to increase.

As purveyors of this scientific consensus, young climate activists are in the crosshairs of those who oppose radical action on it.
Rather than me having to read through every chapter and section

How about you quote the sentence that says climate change is being caused solely by man

Old 31st August 2019, 12:40 AM   #579
Matthew Best
Philosopher

A.1. Human activities are estimated to have caused approximately 1.0°C of global warming above pre-industrial levels, with a likely range of 0.8°C to 1.2°C.
Old 31st August 2019, 12:45 AM   #580
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Rather than me having to read through every chapter and section

How about you quote the sentence that says climate change is being caused solely by man
Oh, nobody expects you to educate yourself. But it’s good for everyone if you refrain on commenting about things you have no idea about.

You are coming across as a denier, do you realise this?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 31st August 2019, 01:30 AM   #581
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh, nobody expects you to educate yourself. But it’s good for everyone if you refrain on commenting about things you have no idea about.

You are coming across as a denier, do you realise this?

You are claiming current climate change is entirely caused by man and there is a consensus amongst climate scientists saying this, yet just post a report up and expect people to trawl through it .

Given we have had several ice ages, it is not unreasonable to ask you to actually post the bit saying scientists are saying the latest natural climate changes are different and this one is entirely man made

Last edited by cullennz; 31st August 2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 31st August 2019, 01:36 AM   #582
Matthew Best
Philosopher

If you're hung up on the word "entirely", then don't be. Substitute "largely" and the end result is pretty much the same, except you don't have to worry about someone being wrong on the internet.
Old 31st August 2019, 01:39 AM   #583
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If you're hung up on the word "entirely", then don't be. Substitute "largely" and the end result is pretty much the same, except you don't have to worry about someone being wrong on the internet.
Strangely enough which is what I said was computer modelling in the first place

Old 31st August 2019, 01:42 AM   #584
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I'm sorry - that sentence did not make any sense.
Old 31st August 2019, 01:56 AM   #585
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

My original point was that the argument is how much mans influence has on climate change.

As I realise man has an impact and to deny this would be dim.

Then a poster said climate change is entirely man made and the overall consensus of scientist say this

I disagreed.

They posted a link to a massive report

I was just asking which bit shows this.

Old 31st August 2019, 01:57 AM   #586
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And I mentioned it is all based on computer modelling any way

Old 31st August 2019, 02:01 AM   #587
Matthew Best
Philosopher

My original point was that the argument is how much mans influence has on climate change.

As I realise man has an impact and to deny this would be dim.

Then a poster said climate change is entirely man made and the overall consensus of scientist say this

I disagreed.

They posted a link to a massive report

I was just asking which bit shows this.
So you were focussing on a fairly irrelevant exaggeration. Got it.
Old 31st August 2019, 02:04 AM   #588
Arcade22
Philosopher

Strangely enough which is what I said was computer modelling in the first place
No it's not "computer modelling". It's that there is no evidence to suggest that there's any other source of green-house gases, or any other mechanism for that matter, that would significantly contribute to the global warming that has occurred in relatively recent times. If you had any clue of what you choose to speak off you'd be aware of this. It's a central objective scientific fact.

The fossil fuel industry and other large GHG emitters funded respected scientists at first, in an attempt to find such sources, but after it became apparent that there were no such sources they were forced to increasingly rely on cranks and crackpots because they were the only ones desperate, insane or unscrupulous to bother.

Last edited by Arcade22; 31st August 2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 31st August 2019, 02:06 AM   #589
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

So you were focussing on a fairly irrelevant exaggeration. Got it.
Probably

Except if we have a 16 year old global influential person telling the worlds other people the same age that climate change is entirely man made it, like the poster believes, then it is a bit silly and won't help or end well.

Old 31st August 2019, 02:09 AM   #590
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No it's not "computer modelling". It's that there is no evidence to suggest that there's any other source of green-house gases, or any other mechanism for that matter, that would significantly contribute to the global warming that has occurred in relatively recent times. If you had any clue of what you choose to speak off you'd be aware of this. It's a central objective scientific fact.

The fossil fuel industry and other large GHG emitters funded respected scientists at first, in an attempt to find such sources, but after it became apparent that there were no such sources they were forced to increasingly rely on cranks and crackpots because they were the only ones desperate, insane or unscrupulous to bother.
Yes it is

Old 31st August 2019, 02:19 AM   #591
Arcade22
Philosopher

Yes it is
Oh i see you somehow ignored to read the rest of my post where i explained why it was not about "computer modelling". I guess i shouldn't expect anything else from someone who can't bother to use punctuation marks.

Old 31st August 2019, 03:07 AM   #592
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Probably

Except if we have a 16 year old global influential person telling the worlds other people the same age that climate change is entirely man made it, like the poster believes, then it is a bit silly and won't help or end well.
The only problem is that nobody said it was "entirely" man-made, apart from you, and especially not Thunberg.
Old 31st August 2019, 03:26 AM   #593
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The only problem is that nobody said it was "entirely" man-made, apart from you, and especially not Thunberg.
Apart from lionking

Old 31st August 2019, 03:28 AM   #594
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh i see you somehow ignored to read the rest of my post where i explained why it was not about "computer modelling". I guess i shouldn't expect anything else from someone who can't bother to use punctuation marks.
The rest of your post doesn't change the fact it is based on computer modelling

Old 31st August 2019, 03:38 AM   #595
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

This

"It's that there is no evidence to suggest that there's any other source of green-house gases, or any other mechanism for that matter, that would significantly contribute to the global warming that has occurred in relatively recent times. If you had any clue of what you choose to speak off you'd be aware of this. It's a central objective scientific fact.

The fossil fuel industry and other large GHG emitters funded respected scientists at first, in an attempt to find such sources, but after it became apparent that there were no such sources they were forced to increasingly rely on cranks and crackpots because they were the only ones desperate, insane or unscrupulous to bother."

Does not change the fact projected climate change stats are computer modelling.

Old 31st August 2019, 03:39 AM   #596
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Apart from lionking
What did lionking actually say? I note you don't quote him.
Old 31st August 2019, 03:44 AM   #597
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Apart from lionking
Where did I say this?

Please don’t lie to defend your indefensible position. Better to do a Fonzie. It won’t hurt.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 31st August 2019, 03:50 AM   #598
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

My apologies to lionking

It was this poster

Old 31st August 2019, 03:51 AM   #599
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Where did I say this?

Please don’t lie to defend your indefensible position. Better to do a Fonzie. It won’t hurt.
Sorry mate

Totally my fault

Old 31st August 2019, 03:56 AM   #600
Matthew Best
Philosopher

My apologies to lionking

It was this poster
And that poster also doesn't say that global warming is "entirely" man-made.

Perhaps it was someone else?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events