IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ism

Old 8th August 2006, 12:08 PM   #1
webfusion
Philosopher

IAF vs ISM

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/747879.html
One idea Adam Shapiro and several other activists from the International Solidarity Movement are considering is to bring large numbers of people, rather than a few activists, into the Hezbollah strongholds of south Lebanon or south Beirut to try to protect them (from IAF raids) or draw attention to the plight of civilians there.

Well, I hope these ISM guys have a good death-benefit life insurance plan.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I hope they do it, and I hope the IAF bombs them.

A win-win. They get to be famous martyrs, and I get to hear them shut up.

Yay!

DR
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 12:27 PM   #3
Rob Lister

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/747879.html
One idea Adam Shapiro and several other activists from the International Solidarity Movement are considering is to bring large numbers of people, rather than a few activists, into the Hezbollah strongholds of south Lebanon or south Beirut to try to protect them (from IAF raids) or draw attention to the plight of civilians there.

Well, I hope these ISM guys have a good death-benefit life insurance plan.
I wonder if they can get the usual band of useful idiots from hollywood to go along for the ride.
Rob Lister is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
I wonder if they can get the usual band of useful idiots from hollywood to go along for the ride.
That's probably asking too much. A pity.

DR
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Of course not. That would involve ACTUAL significant risk of them getting killed, not the sort of easy bravery of being a dissident in a liberal democracy. Just like Madonna is brave enough to "crucify" herself in Rome, but no pop star is going to dare parade around as Mohammed in panties.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 01:33 PM   #6
BPSCG
Penultimate Amazing

Ooh, Rachel ("What Bulldozer?") Corrie times 100.
BPSCG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2006, 11:53 PM   #7
Skeptic
Banned

Without taking any opinion about the bombing themselves, I remember that they also went to Iraq before 2003 to serve as "human shields" against the "imperialistic American agression".

They wanted to guard hospitals and schools--and to later claim that it was because of their brave resistance that the USAF didn't bomb those hospitals and schools. Of course, in reality, they all knew that the USAF does not deliberately bomb hospitals and schools, so the risk they run is small.

The plan had a slight problem. Saddam welcomed them and wanted them to guard REAL military targets--such as ammunition dumbs, factories, etc. They cleared out of Iraq very quickly after that.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2006, 12:22 AM   #8
David Swidler
Philosopher

A friend of mine stopped by last night. He volunteers with the police/border guards. He said there are outstanding arrest-and-deport warrants for a slew of ISM activists, many of whose locations are known (either in the West Bank or Jerusalem). We agreed that if it were a priority, the police would just up and arrest them right now; in the current political/security climate nobody important would notice enough to raise a stink.
David Swidler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2006, 01:05 AM   #9
Kopji

Quote:
We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours.
- Golda Meir to Anwar Saddat just before the peace talks
I think Meir's humanity offers a good perspective to keep in mind in this conflict too. It is too bad such leaders only come once in a while.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2006, 04:42 AM   #10
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BPSCG View Post
Ooh, Rachel ("What Bulldozer?") Corrie times 100.
Whenever I think of her I'm reminded of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy scene...

"Mr Dent, do you have any idea how much damage that bulldozer would sustain if I let it roll right over you?"
"No, how much?"
"None at all."

Is that wrong of me? I guess she wasn't a fan of Adams, or she would have known this.
Old 9th August 2006, 11:37 AM   #11
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

OMG!

In the past the charge has been leveled against the ISM that they purposefully place the lives of na´ve westerners in danger for propaganda purposes. This article seems to prove that charge to be true.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics