ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , China incidents , China issues , christian persecution , gosateizm

Old 20th December 2018, 07:56 AM   #2281
8enotto
Muse

Greenpeace had to buy big boats and uses public indignation as a source of fuel for them. A lot via web efforts.
But it is the boats that make the impact.

How is the Big Dog foundation for Christian human rights going to make the difference in China or Russia?

You have to make contact with dodgy governments and get onto the sites to make an impact.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:43 AM   #2282
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Greenpeace had to buy big boats and uses public indignation as a source of fuel for them. A lot via web efforts.
But it is the boats that make the impact.

How is the Big Dog foundation for Christian human rights going to make the difference in China or Russia?

You have to make contact with dodgy governments and get onto the sites to make an impact.
We choose to end atheist human rights abuses in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:46 AM   #2283
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Class? Your final exam will require you to write 500 words on irony.

I would not even need that many given the number of examples of irony and incompetence shown in your posts here.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 08:51 AM   #2284
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
I would not even need that many given the number of examples of irony and incompetence shown in your posts here.
'k
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2018, 09:07 PM   #2285
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

We choose to end atheist human rights abuses in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too
And here you are, crying crocodile tears on the internet.

Good job, TBD!
Old 22nd December 2018, 08:48 AM   #2286
sylvan8798
Master Poster

Uhhhh, okay, good luck with that. We're getting a bit long on the decade, so maybe step things up a tad.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2018, 06:12 AM   #2287
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Still, I appreciate the nice lesson we had on the fallacy of whataboutism.
Two interesting examples come to mind:

"Why do you notice the speck in your brother's eye, but not the beam in your own?"

And

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone."

I have always thought those were very wise words, but now I have learned they are fallacies. Obvious whataboutisms.

Oh, well......

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 23rd December 2018 at 06:13 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 12:53 PM   #2288
The Big Dog

Interesting thread on Reddit

A reminder that China has placed nearly 1.8 million Uighur Muslims in concentration camps. Inside these camps, it force feeds the Muslim prisoners pork and alcohol, and subjects them to torture and religious brainwashing tactics.

Totalitarian + Atheist = Human Rights Atrocities
Old 25th February 2019, 01:05 PM   #2289
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Totalitarian = Human Rights Atrocities
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 01:12 PM   #2290
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Totalitarian = Human Rights Atrocities
here we are talking about atheists' human rights atrocities, with particular emphasis on reeducation designed to force atheism down the throats of the believers.

Disgusting
Old 25th February 2019, 01:20 PM   #2291
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

here we are talking about atheists' human rights atrocities, with particular emphasis on reeducation designed to force atheism down the throats of the believers.

Disgusting
I agree it is disgusting, but the thing is that is what totalitarian regimes do.

The atheism isn't really the problem - it's the totalitarianism. In other places you have religious totalitarianism and that's also disgusting.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 01:21 PM   #2292
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Also:

Totalitarian + Theist = Human Rights Atrocities

The leadership of China and the leadership Catholic Church ought to get together and have a game of doubles.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 01:25 PM   #2293
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I agree it is disgusting, but the thing is that is what totalitarian regimes do.

The atheism isn't really the problem - it's the totalitarianism. In other places you have religious totalitarianism and that's also disgusting.
I've explained this a dozen times, the totalitarian gives them the means, the atheism gives them the motive.
Old 25th February 2019, 01:25 PM   #2294
Drewbot
Philosopher

The scary part is not because of Atheists, it's that a government is deciding which religions to crack down on first.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2019, 01:43 PM   #2295
Thor 2
Illuminator

I've explained this a dozen times, the totalitarian gives them the means, the atheism gives them the motive.

After being buried for two months that bone of yours hasn't gained any palatability The Big Dog. Nobody else will swallow even a portion regardless of your repeated explanations.
Old 25th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #2296
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The totalitarianism gives both the means and the motive. The Atheism gives the excuse.

The goal is power.
Old 25th February 2019, 02:21 PM   #2297
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

You have claimed it a dozen times.

There's a difference, you know.

Hans
Old 25th February 2019, 02:30 PM   #2298
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans
I wonder if you see the irony in your post.

I have specifically cited the evidence supporting it at least a dozen times ("Unyielding Marxist Atheists").

It has been ignored. Oh well, par for the course.
Old 25th February 2019, 03:37 PM   #2299
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I have specifically cited the evidence supporting it at least a dozen times ("Unyielding Marxist Atheists").

Yes, you would fall for Chinese propaganda rhetoric, wherever it seems to suit your agenda.

China is neither marxist, nor atheist.

But, don't let facts disturb you.

Hans
Old 25th February 2019, 03:39 PM   #2300
The Big Dog

Yes, you would fall for Chinese propaganda rhetoric, wherever it seems to suit your agenda.

China is neither marxist, nor atheist.

But, don't let facts disturb you.

Hans

Hans TBD
Old 25th February 2019, 03:49 PM   #2301
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Hans TBD
Ah.

Thought you could do better than that.

Hans
Old 25th February 2019, 04:27 PM   #2302
The Big Dog

Ah.

Thought you could do better than that.

Hans
It is called being hoisted by one's own petard

You done been hoisted.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:00 AM   #2303
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

It is called being hoisted by one's own petard

You done been hoisted.
Slow day eh? Political section not getting you through the day anymore?

Here I'll give ya a boost.

Old 9th March 2019, 10:28 PM   #2304
Tassman
Muse

Totalitarianism gives ANY ideological system the means. Calvin's regime in Geneva was totalitarian in practice if not in name as has been the Catholic Church in history. And modern Evangelicalism in the USA has all the hallmarks of totalitarianism by attempting to impose its ideology on the populace via legislation. Hence its determination to get Conservative justices and judges on the bench.
Old 10th March 2019, 12:03 AM   #2305
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
Totalitarianism gives ANY ideological system the means. Calvin's regime in Geneva was totalitarian in practice if not in name as has been the Catholic Church in history. And modern Evangelicalism in the USA has all the hallmarks of totalitarianism by attempting to impose its ideology on the populace via legislation. Hence its determination to get Conservative justices and judges on the bench.
During the time they have existed, Christian Churches have been the instigators or have sanctioned more and bloodier wars, and more murder and human misery than any other organisations on earth.

http://www.badnewsaboutchristianity...._churchwar.htm

Last edited by smartcooky; 10th March 2019 at 12:07 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 02:19 AM   #2306
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Are you quoting Chinese government propaganda as if it was true?

How convenient.

Can you walk us through the process by which you determine which statements by the Chinese government are true, and which are false? Because right now, it looks like you make this decision solely based on whether it suits whatever agrument you happen to be making at the time.
Old 10th March 2019, 03:07 AM   #2307
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
.... right now, it looks like you make this decision solely based on whether it suits whatever agrument you happen to be making at the time.
You say this like you are surprised!
Old 10th March 2019, 10:38 AM   #2308
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

How convenient.

Can you walk us through the process by which you determine which statements by the Chinese government are true, and which are false? Because right now, it looks like you make this decision solely based on whether it suits whatever agrument you happen to be making at the time.
We have been there before, but nice to try it gain. However, the highlighted part seems to be the answer.

Hans
Old 10th March 2019, 10:43 AM   #2309
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

We choose to end atheist human rights abuses in this decade and do the other things,
Like building a wall to Mexico? Perhaps if you said "We try to", you would show a smidgen of honesty.

Quote:
not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too
Some of us might be more interested in HOW you propose to do it.

... Mind you, I'm all for ending human rights abuses, no matter who commits them. You are welcome to take on such that are atheist.

Hans
Old 10th March 2019, 10:49 AM   #2310
The Big Dog

How convenient.

Wait. wait. First walk us through the process where you concluded that Xi exhorting his followers to crack down on the faithful is "Chinese propaganda"

I find that absolutely fascinating
Old 10th March 2019, 12:52 PM   #2311
dann
Philosopher

We established a very long time ago that you don't know what Marxism is, you don't know what Atheism is, and the so-called "Atheist Bible" says approximately the opposite of what you thought it said:
Post 239, Sep. 13, 2018.
Post 280, Sep. 13, 2018.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 01:36 PM   #2312
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Wait. wait. First walk us through the process where you concluded that Xi exhorting his followers to crack down on the faithful is "Chinese propaganda"

No. Because you know what it is about, so don't play dumb.

Hans
Old 10th March 2019, 02:26 PM   #2313
The Big Dog

No. Because you know what it is about, so don't play dumb.

Hans
Right, it wasn’t “Chinese propaganda” and the suggestion that it was is ridiculous.
Old 10th March 2019, 05:47 PM   #2314
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Disgusting
I agree with TBD. This is horrible. Why won't president Trump do something to stop these atrocities?
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 06:17 PM   #2315
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
I agree with TBD. This is horrible. Why won't president Trump do something to stop these atrocities?
Old 10th March 2019, 06:24 PM   #2316
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Literally discussed six months ago.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th March 2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10th March 2019, 07:02 PM   #2317
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You say this like you are surprised!
It doesn't matter, None of this matters.
Old 10th March 2019, 07:05 PM   #2318
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
It doesn't matter, None of this matters.
Did you really just say 1 million plus human beings in concentration camps “doesn’t matter.”

No words
Old 10th March 2019, 07:44 PM   #2319
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Did you really just say 1 million plus human beings in concentration camps “doesn’t matter.”

No words
Yes, Exactly my words.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th March 2019 at 03:02 PM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 01:49 AM   #2320
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

How convenient.

I find your obvious dishonesty equally fascinating, especially as you are the one who believes that sinners go to hell.
No-one is disputing that the Chinese government is cracking down on non-state approved religions.
But you knew that.
No-one is disputing that the Chinese government is totalitarian, and an abuser of human rights.
But you knew that.
What is in dispute are the reasons for this crackdown.
But you knew that.
The Chinese government says it's because of atheism.
No-one except you believes that.
It is quite clear, because of the focus on non-state-approved religions, that the actual aim is an increase in control over possibly dissident parts of the Chinese populace.
But you knew that.

Am I walking slowly enough for you, TBD?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy