ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bible predictions , end of world predictions

Old 24th September 2017, 07:16 PM   #1
Elwin Garland
New Blood

460 days until 2,300 days - Daniel 8:14

Mod Info This post was originally in the free-will thread, but as it was titled with a doomsday prophecy, I have copied it to start a new thread where the prophecy will be more on-topic.
Posted By:Agatha

The absolute definition of free will belongs to our Creator alone, but through Christ Jesus we are blessed with our Creator's longing to share that absolute with us.

The best way to conceptualize human free will is to look at some one who is alive and some one who is dead.

This basic concept is presented in the Creation story of man in the Holy Bible.

Although mans shape and form are complete, he doesn't become a living soul until our Creator breathes into his nostrils the breath of life; in essence his free will before being alive is hypothetical, dormant, only potential.

That is why death is but a sleep to the Lord, the real sanctity in free will is our interaction with Him.

Last edited by Agatha; 27th September 2017 at 10:53 AM.
Elwin Garland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Elwin Garland
New Blood

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
That's an interesting, if demonstrably inaccurate version of the nature of definitions,

Right, "if", and you've just let on that you have little to no respect for your Maker.

That's why there are 458 days remaining to cleanse such filth from the planet.
Elwin Garland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:01 AM   #3
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

If my arithmetic is correct, this is an apocalyptic prophecy for 28th December 2018.

Elwin Garland, would you like to expand on what is going to happen on that day, and why?
Old 27th September 2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Elwin Garland View Post
Right, "if", and you've just let on that you have little to no respect for your Maker.

Something needs to exist for one to have respect for it.

If after 459 days the cleansing has not happened will you pick another random date in the future?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Who ordered the word salad?

Said the robot gleefully as he went on his rampage.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:17 AM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Mod Info This post was originally in the free-will thread, but as it was titled with a doomsday prophecy, I have copied it to start a new thread where the prophecy will be more on-topic.

The absolute definition of free will belongs to our Creator alone, but through Christ Jesus we are blessed with our Creator's longing to share that absolute with us.

The best way to conceptualize human free will is to look at some one who is alive and some one who is dead.

Although mans shape and form are complete, he doesn't become a living soul until our Creator breathes into his nostrils the breath of life; in essence his free will before being alive is hypothetical, dormant, only potential.

That is why death is but a sleep to the Lord, the real sanctity in free will is our interaction with Him.
Who or what is this lord of which you speak? Why should anyone take any notice of the compiled gibberings of illiterate Arab bronze age goat-herders?
And do you have any evidence to back up this bollocks preachy crap?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.

Last edited by MikeG; 27th September 2017 at 12:56 PM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Beady
Philosopher

Nominated!

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 27th September 2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

One religio-wacko leaves the scene, another pops up. Maybe someone with coding expertise could copy-rite Wack-a-fanatic™.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yes well, that's just the trouble with gods isn't it. They are always going to do something or they did something a long time ago. They are never doing anything.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Daniel chapter 8:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+8&version=KJV
Quote:
20 The ram which thou sawest having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.

21 And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.

22 Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power.

23 And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up...
This has nothing to do with here and now. How is it that these religious types are so keen to overlook the context of these "prophecy" texts?
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:49 PM   #11
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I just noticed this latest sack of whatever it is that is in sacks....

I live a stone's throw from the William Miller chapel. For those who don't know, here in the Champlain Valley is where much religious ferment seems to have begun. We have the beginnings of Mormonism, Seventh-day Adventism, and a few other utopian isms. The region to the west of here, through places like Chautauqua and Nauvoo, is referred to by some as "the burnt-over patch."

Right across the lake from here is where William Miller, the founder of Seventh-day Adventism, prophesied that, according to Daniel 8:14, the world would end in 1843.

tick tock tick tock.

Don't forget to pack a toothbrush.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:54 PM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The fact that religious people claim the world is going to end on a certain date and be wrong about it is some common that listing out all the times they have done it and asking why this time is different is so overdone it's not even worth doing.

This is no longer even the Boy Who Cried Wolf level. At least the wolf eventually came along in that story. This is the Boy Who Cried Chupacabra.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The fact that religious people claim the world is going to end on a certain date and be wrong about it is some common that listing out all the times they have done it and asking why this time is different is so overdone it's not even worth doing.

This is no longer even the Boy Who Cried Wolf level. At least the wolf eventually came along in that story. This is the Boy Who Cried Chupacabra.
Now, now. You have no evidence that chupacabras don't exist.

Old 27th September 2017, 03:01 PM   #14
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

The calendars in use today and the calendars of Daniel's time have nothing in common except the passage of time - but on incompatible scales.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:08 PM   #15
Thor 2
Illuminator

It will just keep on happening however because of the number of stupid, (or perhaps just deluded), people around and it is just such a great money spinner.

I wonder what percentage of those prophets that forecast the end of the World are conmen?
Old 27th September 2017, 03:18 PM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Here's one thing I've learned. If you are going to guess a definitive, exact day for the end of the world, choose one that is going to occur after your dead.

Because if the date passes and you are still alive, we can point and laugh.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:29 PM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Who or what is this lord of which you speak? Why should anyone take any notice of the compiled gibberings of illiterate Arab bronze age goat-herders?
And do you have any evidence to back up this bollocks preachy crap?
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
One religio-wacko leaves the scene, another pops up. Maybe someone with coding expertise could copy-rite Wack-a-fanatic™.
And we wonder why religious people won't engage with atheists.

Is there no room for polite, respectful discussion any more?
Old 27th September 2017, 03:32 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh I'm sorry are we not showing the 53,842th prediction that the world is going to end the proper respect?

And you did notice he called us "filth" right?

Old 27th September 2017, 03:33 PM   #19
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Wasn't that pretty much already off the table after post 2 (which sounds pretty much to me like a threat of mass murder) in this thread?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 27th September 2017 at 03:35 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:38 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Wasn't that pretty much already off the table after post 2 (which sounds pretty much to me like a threat of mass murder) in this thread?
Let's be better than that.
Old 27th September 2017, 03:39 PM   #21
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Let's be better than that.
The posts you complained about are a lot better than that.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:39 PM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Bob: "You are filth that will be cleansed from the planet!"
Ted: "That seems rather unreasonable."
Tim: "Jeez Ted why can't we have a civil discussion?"

Old 27th September 2017, 03:40 PM   #23
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I do sometimes feel that way, but must note that in this case we're dealing not with a thoughtful religious person, but with ideas that are not only poorly expressed, disorganized, and nonsensical, but with a prophecy whose outcome was called "the Great Disappointment" as long ago as 1844. At some point, being polite and respectful is not ultimately responsible nor is it respectful to those who approach such issues with a modicum of intelligence. I do not believe that respect demands we grant equal time to every nutty idea that comes down the pike.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 03:55 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've said my piece. The posters in this thread are now free to ignore me as usual and continue insulting and disparaging religion and religious people like they always do, the religious people will eventually go away, and the atheists can pat themselves on the back because they've chased away another potential conversation. Victory!
Old 27th September 2017, 04:04 PM   #25
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes you thread nannyed a bunch of people who were called "filth" that they were not being nice enough. Good job.

Old 27th September 2017, 04:06 PM   #26
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I've said my piece. The posters in this thread are now free to ignore me as usual and continue insulting and disparaging religion and religious people like they always do, the religious people will eventually go away, and the atheists can pat themselves on the back because they've chased away another potential conversation. Victory!
You're welcome to engage him in a nice friendly conversation about how he plans to eliminate filth like us.

Old 27th September 2017, 04:08 PM   #27
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Tuco approves.

https://youtu.be/09-GbpOd9T4?t=27

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 04:11 PM   #28
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Old 27th September 2017, 04:39 PM   #29
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly!

I've got a prophecy though - the op will be banished before the 460 days run out.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 04:47 PM   #30
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Say as you will. I do not think that the basic idea is without merit, but I believe it is misplaced here. I have great respect for many people with whose religion I do not agree, and I also believe that people who dismiss all religious ideas with rants about sky daddies and fairy tales are behaving badly. But this is not that. The notion that every crazy idea deserves respect leaves fools in charge of the discourse.

Old 27th September 2017, 05:03 PM   #31
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Say as you will. I do not think that the basic idea is without merit, but I believe it is misplaced here. I have great respect for many people with whose religion I do not agree, and I also believe that people who dismiss all religious ideas with rants about sky daddies and fairy tales are behaving badly. But this is not that. The notion that every crazy idea deserves respect leaves fools in charge of the discourse.
Well said, and I agree.

There's evidence for the bolded:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...s-mind/534231/

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2017, 06:50 PM   #32
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Exclamation

I'm sure you will be right when so many before you were wrong. Because......why not?

I'm rooting for you!
Old 27th September 2017, 08:11 PM   #33
Beady
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Exactly!

I've got a prophecy though - the op will be banished before the 460 days run out.
You do know that he's currently under a 24-hour suspension? I'll bet he doesn't come back.

Old 27th September 2017, 08:56 PM   #34
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I'm not caught up yet. When did the 2300 days begin and what event precipitated them?
Old 27th September 2017, 09:02 PM   #35
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I'm not caught up yet. When did the 2300 days begin and what event precipitated them?
Funny thing is I'd like to see this guy debate other Christians about this. Some Christians think that this is a prophecy that was fulfilled even before Jesus war born and cite it as reason to trust other prophecies that aren't yet fulfilled ITO.

Old 27th September 2017, 09:48 PM   #36
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Funny thing is I'd like to see this guy debate other Christians about this.
Boring!

I'm just curious about why the OP thinks we are in the midst of the 2300 days. They title their post 460 days until 2,300 days - Daniel 8:14 then waffle on about "free will" instead.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:55 PM   #37
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

When religious people debate facts, they get decent respectful answers. When they seagull declarations of our well-deserved doom on us, and describe us as filth, then.........

........sorry, what were you saying again?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:11 AM   #38
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Do you really think civil or reasonable discussion can be had with someone whose opening gambit is to want you dead and rejoices in that prospect?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:24 AM   #39
Tolls
Illuminator

Here's one thing I've learned. If you are going to guess a definitive, exact day for the end of the world, choose one that is going to occur after your dead.

Because if the date passes and you are still alive, we can point and laugh.
I can only assume that they want it to happen in their lifetime so that they can point and laugh at all the unbelievers. Why they don't feel confident enough to be able to do that while in the after life I don't know. Must be something about face-to-face interaction or something.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 03:35 AM   #40
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
On 25th Sept it was 460 days till the 2300 days are up. I believe that means the clock started ticking on 11th Sept 2012, which was the date of the attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi.

The 2300 days countdown refers to Daniel chapter 8 which is a prophecy about a naughty goat, which we are told represents the king of Greece, who is due to get his comeuppance after this amount of time.

This gives us a year and a bit to work out who is the current best claimant for the Greek crown and warn them. Except that the prophecy doesn't really say what happens to the Greek king at the end. It seems to describe the time taken for some act of desecration to be cleansed by regular sacrifices.

Actually, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_8 is quite interesting in describing what the prophecy was really talking about. The 2300 'evenings and mornings' is seemingly interpreted by most scholars as 2300 twice-daily sacrifices, so actually only 1150 days. In which case, whatever it was, we missed it.

PS 1150 days takes us to 5th Nov 2015 which was the date of this disaster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento_...s_dam_disaster which suggests the true heir to the Greek throne was living in rural Brazil.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 28th September 2017 at 03:43 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy