ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bible predictions , end of world predictions

Old 28th September 2017, 03:47 AM   #41
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
On 25th Sept it was 460 days till the 2300 days are up. I believe that means the clock started ticking on 11th Sept 2012, which was the date of the attack on the US diplomatic compound in Benghazi.
The who did the what now?
Old 28th September 2017, 04:04 AM   #42
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
The who did the what now?
Ah. It may depend on what type of device you're viewing this on but above the OP in this thread is a bolded heading: "460 days until 2,300 days - Daniel 8:14", and it was posted on 25th Sept.

I don't actually know how you insert such a heading into a post. It doesn't get included if you quote the post and I suspect it wouldn't even show up if you were viewing the thread on, say, Tapatalk.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 07:37 AM   #43
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

In the Title box.

I don't actually know how you insert such a heading into a post.
It's the "Title" box that you see when you use the advanced editor.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 08:14 AM   #44
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Thanks.

All these years, never even noticed it.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:16 AM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Boring!

I'm just curious about why the OP thinks we are in the midst of the 2300 days. They title their post 460 days until 2,300 days - Daniel 8:14 then waffle on about "free will" instead.
Nitpick: It's a split thread so was titled by the mod who split it.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:30 AM   #46
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nitpick: It's a split thread so was titled by the mod who split it.
No, that was the title of the original post in the other thread. See http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7&postcount=33

(Maybe it was intended as an auxiliary message).
Old 28th September 2017, 09:39 AM   #47
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
You do know that he's currently under a 24-hour suspension? I'll bet he doesn't come back.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
EG doesn't strike me as being someone who can take a hint.

This forum is a target rich environment of what they describe as filth, so I'm willing to bet that they won't be able to restrain themselves from spreading the good news about what type of slow bake is in store for us sinners.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:58 AM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

No, that was the title of the original post in the other thread. See http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7&postcount=33

(Maybe it was intended as an auxiliary message).
Oh, ok. I missed that.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:59 AM   #49
C_Felix
Master Poster

I'm always curious - and have been asking this for a few decades now, When someone predicts the Biblical end of the world, what time zone are we talking about?

If it is supposed to end on July 19th 2018, is this midnight? When the 18th becomes the 19th? Then there's a cascading of doom around the planet?

And we should pay close attention to New Zealand, then, shouldn't we?
Old 28th September 2017, 10:01 AM   #50
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I'm always curious - and have been asking this for a few decades now, When someone predicts the Biblical end of the world, what time zone are we talking about?

If it is supposed to end on July 19th 2018, is this midnight? When the 18th becomes the 19th? Then there's a cascading of doom around the planet?

Kiribati would be first then. I would think most of the Biblical writers thought the day transition happened at sun down, right? So sundown in Kiribati is when it all goes down.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 10:08 AM   #51
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The big guy don't need no stinkin' time zones.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 11:11 AM   #52
Imhotep
Muse

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've said my piece. The posters in this thread are now free to ignore me as usual and continue insulting and disparaging religion and religious people like they always do, the religious people will eventually go away, and the atheists can pat themselves on the back because they've chased away another potential conversation. Victory!
I agree with you, which apparently puts me in the minority. I'm for civil discussion, all the time, with all people. I do reserve the right to exclude someone that has to wear a face mask to prevent them biting people.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:31 PM   #53
jrhowell
Muse

There are no time zones in the Bible. A flat earth has no time zones.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:51 PM   #54
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
There are no time zones in the Bible. A flat earth has no time zones.
Wrong.
https://imgur.com/gallery/eyuUVdc

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 02:56 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Yes you thread nannyed a bunch of people who were called "filth" that they were not being nice enough. Good job.
Let's be better than that.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
You're welcome to engage him in a nice friendly conversation about how he plans to eliminate filth like us.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Say as you will. I do not think that the basic idea is without merit, but I believe it is misplaced here. I have great respect for many people with whose religion I do not agree, and I also believe that people who dismiss all religious ideas with rants about sky daddies and fairy tales are behaving badly. But this is not that. The notion that every crazy idea deserves respect leaves fools in charge of the discourse.
Which is a notion that I did not advance.

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
When religious people debate facts, they get decent respectful answers. When they seagull declarations of our well-deserved doom on us, and describe us as filth, then.........

........sorry, what were you saying again?

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Do you really think civil or reasonable discussion can be had with someone whose opening gambit is to want you dead and rejoices in that prospect?
You always have the option to not engage.

Responding to insults with insults is never productive. If someone insults you, be better than them.
Old 28th September 2017, 08:45 PM   #56
Thor 2
Illuminator

There you go folks we have heard it from arth. When they come out swinging you just turn the other cheek, (think I heard that said by some other dude), and come back all smarmy.
Old 28th September 2017, 09:27 PM   #57
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

You're welcome to engage him in a nice friendly conversation about how he plans to eliminate filth like us.
Now Now, Don't go breaking the man's soapbox. He's clearly spent a lot of time working up all that self-indignation.

Said the robot gleefully as he went on his rampage.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2017, 09:29 PM   #58
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
There you go folks we have heard it from arth. When they come out swinging you just turn the other cheek, (think I heard that said by some other dude), and come back all smarmy.
I gather we have to be better, Which apparently now involves little more than sitting quietly while you patiently wait for the churchgoer to kindly stop hitting you over the head with a brass crucifix.

Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2017, 12:48 AM   #59
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I have seen confrontational posters before who suddenly thought that they could start playing the "be nice" card. They usually revert to form sooner or later.
Old 1st October 2017, 02:43 PM   #60
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I see no-one has any interest in being a reasonable or pleasant human being, so I'll leave you to your fun.

Notice, by the way, that you've successfully managed to bully the religious person away. Good job.
Old 1st October 2017, 03:12 PM   #61
Thor 2
Illuminator

I see no-one has any interest in being a reasonable or pleasant human being, so I'll leave you to your fun.

Notice, by the way, that you've successfully managed to bully the religious person away. Good job.

May have got into a huff because he was suspended.

He did use a lot of cuss words mind you, which is a little uncharacteristic of the averaged God botherer.
Old 1st October 2017, 03:29 PM   #62
Donn
Philosopher

I kind of agree with you. Personally, I get snarky when I'm tired, and I don't think I'm alone in that. I think the relentless similitude of topics and behaviour here has tired a lot of posters.

It all feels rather pointless—this shouting at the tide.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 03:39 PM   #63
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

To be honest, with the stuff that was swept off to AAH I'm a little hazy about how this flared up. Did anyone say anything unreasonable to or about Elwin Garland before he seemingly said Aridas was filth soon due to be cleansed from the earth? For that matter did anyone respond unreasonably before his sweary outburst which earned a suspension?

Serious question, btw. I got that you were frustrated with what was happening but I didn't then look back to see what the chain of events was and now its fragmented.
Old 1st October 2017, 04:04 PM   #64
fromdownunder
Philosopher

To be honest, with the stuff that was swept off to AAH I'm a little hazy about how this flared up. Did anyone say anything unreasonable to or about Elwin Garland before he seemingly said
I did read his (second) post before it got edited and submarined. I am not sure that I am allowed to comment on the contents but it did contain several forum condemned words and was somewhat less than polite.

There was nothing that went before which warranted such an outburst.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 04:19 PM   #65
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Now that I actually see this thread, looks like I'm a bit late to say much. Not that it looks like it would matter.

To be honest, with the stuff that was swept off to AAH I'm a little hazy about how this flared up. Did anyone say anything unreasonable to or about Elwin Garland before he seemingly said Aridas was filth soon due to be cleansed from the earth? For that matter did anyone respond unreasonably before his sweary outburst which earned a suspension?

Serious question, btw. I got that you were frustrated with what was happening but I didn't then look back to see what the chain of events was and now its fragmented.
The only directly relevant thing that I said that led to the filth comment was apparently in the quoted, where I pointed out that language doesn't actually work that way. The main thrust of the post that I wrote was to request him to actually clarify what he meant, because his description was quite unclear and had notable differences from any version of free will that I'm aware of, religious or otherwise. The thing that was quoted as leading to the swearing was s0hdner's
Quote:
See, this is a good example of a religious person making it clear they're not going to properly define terms. It's all going to be "we have free will because god".
shortly after.

Does that help clarify things for you?

Either way, there was no "bullying" that provoked the responses that Elwin made, contrary to arthwollipot's suggestion, and it's worth noting that Elwin's only posts in this thread were ones that Agatha put here. Even in the other thread, neither s0dhner nor I responded to Elwin's provocation with anything that would remotely constitute bullying.

Last edited by Aridas; 1st October 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st October 2017, 05:37 PM   #66
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Does that help clarify things for you?
Yes, thanks.

At least, it suggests I didn't miss anything of substance, but instead it leaves me still puzzled about what arthwollipot was annoyed by since it seems as if it was Elwin himself who escalated things.
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:18 AM   #67
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Yes, thanks.

At least, it suggests I didn't miss anything of substance, but instead it leaves me still puzzled about what arthwollipot was annoyed by since it seems as if it was Elwin himself who escalated things.
Probably, that was just him assuming that the usual happened, where a pro-theist got jumped on for being pro-theism and countered by a bunch of people, some of them unfairly, and left in relation to that.
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:47 AM   #68
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I saw the original thread before the split and AAHing, the guy's second post was an entirely unprovoked stream of disgusting abuse. I assumed he was a seagull poster and would have been very surprised if he'd returned.
Old 2nd October 2017, 07:53 AM   #69
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I have no idea why it would be considered bad that this person left. Would turning this forum in to 4chan, or worse, be considered saving it if posting rates went up?

Old 2nd October 2017, 05:37 PM   #70
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I have no idea why it would be considered bad that this person left. Would turning this forum in to 4chan, or worse, be considered saving it if posting rates went up?
In principal I don't disagree. I was just selfishly hoping this person would stay around long enough to include me in the filth. I know, deep down I'm really very shallow.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:25 PM   #71
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
In principal I don't disagree. I was just selfishly hoping this person would stay around long enough to include me in the filth. I know, deep down I'm really very shallow.
Nope. Filth can get deep. Admit it, you also will be terminated.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 03:13 AM   #72
Elwin Garland
New Blood

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Nope. Filth can get deep. Admit it, you also will be terminated.
Entering into the countdown (September 12, 2012 A.D.) you were 100% filthy according to Daniel 8:14.

Currently at 139 days remaining, you are now 94% clean, 6% filth.
Elwin Garland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 06:30 AM   #73
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Only 139 to go? Oh dear, I'm getting anxious.

I'm mighty curious how people who really believe this stuff behave as it gets closer. Do you put your money where your mouth is?

Skip paying the bills? Cancel the appointments? Stop flossing your teeth?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 07:16 AM   #74
fagin
Philosopher

...Stop flossing your teeth?

That's filthy.
Old 11th August 2018, 07:49 AM   #75
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elwin Garland View Post
Entering into the countdown (September 12, 2012 A.D.) you were 100% filthy according to Daniel 8:14.
That's certainly what the subscribers to my speciality website say.
Old 11th August 2018, 08:22 AM   #76
Myles
Scholar

Originally Posted by Elwin Garland View Post

Currently at 139 days remaining, you are now 94% clean, 6% filth.
So what should we expect to happen 139 days from now?
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 09:50 AM   #77
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
So what should we expect to happen 139 days from now?
Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr. Raymond Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr. Raymond Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 09:53 AM   #78
Elwin Garland
New Blood

Only 139 to go? Oh dear, I'm getting anxious.

I'm mighty curious how people who really believe this stuff behave as it gets closer. Do you put your money where your mouth is?

Skip paying the bills? Cancel the appointments? Stop flossing your teeth?

Likewise, I wonder about someone who uses a front-end scoop tractor for his/her avatar.

Study prophecy, you'll see that the skipping of bills for one person was done so by force by everyone else, including you.

Daniel 7:23-25 :

"23 And after their reign, when iniquities shall be grown up, there shall arise a king of a shameless face, and understanding dark sentences.

24 And his power shall be strengthened, but not by his own force: and he shall lay all things waste, and shall prosper, and do more than can be believed. And he shall destroy the mighty, and the people of the saints,

25 According to his will, and craft shall be successful in his hand: and his heart shall be puffed up, and in the abundance of all things he shall kill many: and he shall rise up against the prince of princes, and shall be broken without hand."

That one person is me, and in that regard of force taking into account your 6% of being pure, unadulterated filth, you might try asking yourself why, given your 94% complete cleanliness, you choose to continue in your filth.

Couldn't you take it all in and say to yourself : hey, the guys right, maybe I should call 9-1-1, maybe we would be better off after 139 days if we gave him some proper attention now?
Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0, rule 2 and rule 12.
Do not insult other members, and especially do not threaten violence.

Last edited by zooterkin; 13th August 2018 at 09:35 AM.
Elwin Garland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 10:13 AM   #79
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Checkmate Elwin

Old 11th August 2018, 10:24 AM   #80
fagin
Philosopher

You might want to tone down your threats to kill forum members a bit. That's a bit nasty. Filthy even.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy