ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 18th November 2017, 08:17 PM   #3281
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Sodhner,
- I'm not looking at whether or not a soul exists under materialism. I'm claiming that a self exists under materialism, and I'm arguing that materialism is wrong about the self's mortality.
You say "self" but you mean soul.

- The next hurdle. If we were able to reproduce a perfect copy of your brain, we wouldn't reproduce YOU. YOU does not come out of the cells of your brain.
I've said it a few times, I'll say it again. You are thinking of, essentially, sentimental value. It's an understandable thing, but it's not an actual difference in a way that matters to this equation.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 06:33 AM   #3282
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by SOdhner View Post
I've said it a few times, I'll say it again. You are thinking of, essentially, sentimental value. It's an understandable thing, but it's not an actual difference in a way that matters to this equation.
Not only that, but he agreed that the self is a process, which means he agrees that YOU _does_ come out of the cells of your brain.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 07:11 AM   #3283
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Not only that, but he agreed that the self is a process, which means he agrees that YOU _does_ come out of the cells of your brain.
Yeah, he's wrong either way. Either we're talking about an actual objective thing in which case it's a process that comes from your brain and so he's wrong, or we're talking about the subjective thing that is based on the value we assign to it (such as sentimental value) and so he's wrong.

Secret option C, which is where he actually is, is if we're talking about a non-physical but objectively real thing which would be by definition a soul - and in that case he's still wrong because he's supposed to be talking about the materialistic view.

So he's wrong, he's wrong, or he's wrong. I cannot think of a way for him to be correct in this case.
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 03:23 PM   #3284
CriticalThanking
Designated Hitter

So he's wrong, he's wrong, or he's wrong.
I'll take D. All of the above.
CriticalThanking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #3285
Jabba
Illuminator

deleted

Last edited by Jabba; Yesterday at 11:42 AM.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #3286
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

deleted
Why bother?

As far as I can recall, you've rarely bothered to delete or redact anything in the many thousands of times you've made the same monotonous claims. In those exceedingly rare occasions that you have done so, you later re-embrace those same foolish arguments as if nothing had happened.

I'd like to see this statement you willingly deleted. It must have been a real whopper!

Last edited by John Jones; Yesterday at 11:59 AM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM   #3287
Argumemnon
World Maker

deleted
Restraint. I like it.

Do that more often.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #3288
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Restraint. I like it.

Do that more often.
Your reply was better.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #3289
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

I cannot think of a way for him to be correct in this case.
deleted
Touche.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #3290
Jabba
Illuminator

Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
Why do you think there's any kind of pool? ...
- Again, something difficult to express effectively. To me, at least, "pool" at least implies a limitation, so an ''unlimited" pool really means no pool. And, in that case the whatever comes out of nowhere.
It comes out of the cells your brain is made of. Those are made out of matter which mostly comes from the food you eat (and food your mother ate).
- The next hurdle. If we were able to reproduce a perfect copy of your brain, we wouldn't reproduce YOU. YOU does not come out of the cells of your brain.

We already covered this hurdle. You agreed a perfect copy of my brain would produce a perfect copy of my self. Reproducing my brain would reproduce my self.
Dave,
- So, one of our problems is getting our words sorted out. When above, you said,"You agreed" you referenced the following (I did the hi-lighting):

I already said it wouldn't be me. It would be an exact copy if me. It would be exactly like me in every respect. Just like the second load of bread would be exactly like the first loaf of bread. It would be identical to me.

Where we diverge is that you are using a different definition for the word "identical" when it's applied to selves than when applied to everything else. You seem to be implying that if two selves were identical then they would really be the same self in two locations.
- IOW, you said that it would be an exact copy of you, but would not be you -- just what I said (hi-lighted) that you didn't seem to agree with above.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #3291
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Jabba, this isn't any more complicated than the two loaves of bread.

I come out of the cells of my brain.

If you made an exact copy of my brain, an exact copy of me would come out of it.

I do agree that an exact copy of me wouldn't be me (as would anyone who understands the meaning of the word "copy"). I don't agree that this means the brain doesn't produce the self. On the contrary, it's exactly what we would expect if the brain produced the self.

Last edited by godless dave; Yesterday at 12:35 PM.
godless dave is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #3292
Argumemnon
World Maker

- IOW, you said that it would be an exact copy of you, but would not be you -- just what I said (hi-lighted) that you didn't seem to agree with above.
That's because I think Dave seens through your attempt at equivocation.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #3293
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

So, one of our problems is getting our words sorted out.
No, the words are sorted out. The problem is getting you to stop doing such violence to them by trying to make them say what you want them to mean rather than what they mean.

Quote:
IOW, you said that it would be an exact copy of you, but would not be you
And he has explained several times that the language you're choosing equivocates between cardinality and identity, and he clarifies his intended meaning every time. This is why we tell you to stop using deliberately vague words like "Woluld not be you" or "Would not bring ME back to life." You're quite obviously avoiding the important failure of your argument by insisting on doughy language.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #3294
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
No, the words are sorted out. The problem is getting you to stop doing such violence to them by trying to make them say what you want them to mean rather than what they mean.

And he has explained several times that the language you're choosing equivocates between cardinality and identity, and he clarifies his intended meaning every time. This is why we tell you to stop using deliberately vague words like "Woluld not be you" or "Would not bring ME back to life." You're quite obviously avoiding the important failure of your argument by insisting on doughy language.
Don't forget "looking out of 2 sets of eyes"!
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #3295
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Dave,
- So, one of our problems is getting our words sorted out. When above, you said,"You agreed" you referenced the following (I did the hi-lighting):

Jabba, do you understand that "1+4=7" is just as wrong as "1 and 4 are 7"?
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #3296
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- So, one of our problems is getting our words sorted out.
Jabba,

Our only problem, the only problem, your only problem is your total, complete, and at this point baffling inability to move your "Patented Effective Debate Style" beyond "Just repeat your stance over and over and dishonestly pretend people are agreeing with you when they aren't."

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #3297
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jabba: 1 + 2 = 7.
Board: No it doesn't.
Jabba: 2 + 1 = 7.
Board: That's the same thing.
Jabba: Okay would you agree that if you add the values of 2 and 1 together you get seven?
Board: Still the same thing.
Jabba: Okay obviously our problem is the wording. Would you agree that 2 and 1 combined would make 7?
Board: No.
Jabba: I see you agree with me.

JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:30 AM   #3298
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

- IOW, you said that it would be an exact copy of you, but would not be you -.
Are you still struggling with the meaning of 'copy'?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #3299
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I love how not a month ago I was roundly taken for task for suggesting that people are being intentionally dense in discussion and here we are trying to explain that "A copy means the thing is the same" and "1 and 2 aren't the same numbers" to a grown man.

Old Today, 09:12 AM   #3300
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I love how not a month ago I was roundly taken for task for suggesting that people are being intentionally dense in discussion and here we are trying to explain that "A copy means the thing is the same" and "1 and 2 aren't the same numbers" to a grown man.
This thread is a special case, I think.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy